Nippon Shafts Flight Comparision

wpduck

I am thinking of getting a set of Callaway Apex 19 forged irons and I want to have Nippon shafts in them. The most likely possible Nippon shafts are: NS Pro 950GHs, NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 105s, or NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 120s. I want to make sure I can get the ball in the air enough to take advantage of the Apex's strengths. I have a 95mph (ish) driver swing speed, and I would say I normally hit the ball at a mid (not low or high) flight with my present irons (Srixon I-302s with Rifle 5.5s)... yeh that's why I need a new set of irons, still in good shape, but they are about 15 years old. So if anyone has experience with any of the aforementioned Nippon shafts, please let me know how you think they affect the "flight" (height) of the ball. 

As a secondary question, I am also considering (but the Apex's are presently way in front in my mind) Srixon Z-585s and Honma TW 747P irons, so if you have any opinions about those please let me know. 

Hey OP! Not exactly the same shafts but close, I did a specific work up with some what similar options.

I had X100's in my 714 AP2's a while back was looking for less demanding shafts as I was getting beat up and fatigued.  I had the Modus3 120 in mind.  I did the fitting... We settled on the NSPro 1150GH in stiff.  A pretty drastic difference in shaft from X100.  on top of the 15gr difference (130 to 115gr) The shaft flex of X to Stiff and the feel (softness of the Nippoin vs the harshness of the X100)

The flight/height was pretty dramatic ,  I hit the Nippon's quite a bit higher, almost 10ft higher.  on average. from the X100s.  IT did spin a little bit more but again offset by the height.  It does tend to balloon more than the original X100 but the effort to load the shaft and keeping a more smooth tempo reduced personally my dispersion back then when I was playing just the AP2's

The biggest issue is feeling, it "Feels" soft to flex but it isnt.  The distance dispersion is 3yards longer than the X100  but again a decent increase in peak height.  It gets up to height faster rather than the rising climb in the prior shafts.

side note,  reason I chose the NSpro1150 GH over the Modus? $15 per shaft  and availability.  VS performance, I got near Identical performance with the 2 shafts, but the NSPro's are way more available (didnt have to special order) and it was $15 cheaper at $30 per shaft vs $45 per shaft with the Modus.  (installed)

I dont have any regrets at this time and I still alternate with the AP2's in the modus with my current games ever so often to spice things up.  

Edited by Exactice808

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 649mbs-PW-6 ,639 CBs-5-4   PX 6.0 Rifles
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

25 minutes ago, hobbstc said:

Interesting you ask this. I play Titleist 735cm with the original Rifle Flighted 5.5.  Trying new irons, I fell in love with the Modus 105 Stiff in the Srixon 585 and 785 heads.  Felt close to what I currently play and makes me want that shaft for my next irons. 

Thanks hobbstc! That sounds very familiar. When I used to play a lot (about 15 years ago) and got my Srixon I-302s with 5.5 Rifles I also had a set of Precepts with Nippon NS Pro 950GHs. I loved my Srixons and ended up with them being my gamer, but I never forgot the feeling hitting those Precepts with their wonderful, smooth, almost effortless feel. So, of course now that I am getting back into playing more I want to get a set of irons with some Nippons in them!   

I have a set of the 950 GH stiff, 5-PW pulls, I am selling. 370 tip. Let me know if interested 

I play the same shaft in reg flex. Terrific shafts - very smooth feel, mid trajectory

Edited by Nat

Driver: Sim 9*, Diamana S 60, reg
3 wood: Tour Edge CB4, 16.5*, Kura Kage 60 reg
Hybrids: 19* & 22* Srixon H45, Kura Kage 70 reg
Irons: Golfworks KE4 Tour+ 5-GW , Nippon 950GH reg (+ 1/2”)
Wedges: Golfworks M series 54 & 58
Putter: TM Spider Tour Red
Ball: Srixon Zstar

35 minutes ago, Exactice808 said:

Hey OP! Not exactly the same shafts but close, I did a specific work up with some what similar options.

I had X100's in my 714 AP2's a while back was looking for less demanding shafts as I was getting beat up and fatigued.  I had the Modus3 120 in mind.  I did the fitting... We settled on the NSPro 1150GH in stiff.  A pretty drastic difference in shaft from X100.  on top of the 15gr difference (130 to 115gr) The shaft flex of X to Stiff and the feel (softness of the Nippoin vs the harshness of the X100)

The flight/height was pretty dramatic ,  I hit the Nippon's quite a bit higher, almost 10ft higher.  on average. from the X100s.  IT did spin a little bit more but again offset by the height.  It does tend to balloon more than the original X100 but the effort to load the shaft and keeping a more smooth tempo reduced personally my dispersion back then when I was playing just the AP2's

The biggest issue is feeling, it "Feels" soft to flex but it isnt.  The distance dispersion is 3yards longer than the X100  but again a decent increase in peak height.  It gets up to height faster rather than the rising climb in the prior shafts.

side note,  reason I chose the NSpro1150 GH over the Modus? $15 per shaft  and availability.  VS performance, I got near Identical performance with the 2 shafts, but the NSPro's are way more available (didnt have to special order) and it was $15 cheaper at $30 per shaft vs $45 per shaft with the Modus.  (installed)

I dont have any regrets at this time and I still alternate with the AP2's in the modus with my current games ever so often to spice things up.  

Exactice808, 

Thank you for some great and detailed information! From your info and other sources I have come across I will most likely be good with the Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120s... since I am staying in a similar flex (firm in Rifles to stiff in the 120s) the flight for me might a little higher, which is what I think I will want with the stronger lofted Apex's (and most iron sets these days). have a great day!   

3 minutes ago, Nat said:

I have a set of the 950 GH stiff, 5-PW pulls, I am selling. 370 tip. Let me know if interested 

I play the same shaft in reg flex. Terrific shafts - very smooth feel, mid trajectory

Thanks Nat... I will definitely keep that in mind if I am not able to find anything with the set up (shafts)  I want. Have a great day! 

50 minutes ago, wpduck said:

Exactice808, 

Thank you for some great and detailed information! From your info and other sources I have come across I will most likely be good with the Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120s... since I am staying in a similar flex (firm in Rifles to stiff in the 120s) the flight for me might a little higher, which is what I think I will want with the stronger lofted Apex's (and most iron sets these days). have a great day!   

You wont be disappointed then!  Im a cheapskate, so the $15 savings,  X 7 irons, was worth the saving $210 vs $315, I used the $105 savings and bought a wedge HAHA!

Edited by Exactice808

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 649mbs-PW-6 ,639 CBs-5-4   PX 6.0 Rifles
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

Based on your info I'd say get the 105's.  They launch medium high and are fairly light.  Just the thing for someone with a 95 mph driver swing.

Both the Apex and 585's are super nice.  Flip a coin choices.  You can't go wrong.

• Like 2

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 4 wood w/Aldila Rogue Black 70S
Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 Hybrid w/Aldila Kuro Kage 80S
Mizuno JPX 929 Hot Metal w/Nippon 950S
Ping Glide 55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
Ping Anser - the "real deal!"

2 hours ago, Exactice808 said:

The biggest issue is feeling, it "Feels" soft to flex but it isnt.

Same thing here - the 1150 is really smooth and if memory serves me right I think I might have a set of the old Maxfli Revolution Black Dot's in the garage with the 950's.  Both are great feeling shafts that I wouldn't have tried had it not been for the clubfitter dialing things in as I tried a bunch of different shafts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nessism said:

Based on your info I'd say get the 105's.  They launch medium high and are fairly light.  Just the thing for someone with a 95 mph driver swing.

Both the Apex and 585's are super nice.  Flip a coin choices.  You can't go wrong.

Thanks Nessism! The 105s are probably first on my list exactly because of what you said (launch medium high and are fairly but not too light), but it might come down to what I can find a good deal on first. I have hit both the Apex's and 585s  indoors, and both felt great with good numbers. They have similar lofts, but I consistently hit the Apex irons 5-10 yards further with similar spin numbers and with slightly higher peak heights, so I am leaning toward them. The problem is they are more expensive and it is much harder to find the Apex irons with Nippon shafts, or to find just heads for sale, or to get them cheap enough with any shafts in order to change them out with Nippons. I can easily find the Srixons with Nippon shafts since that is their stock shaft... so I am looking for a set of Apex's first, but I am not sure how patient I will be, especially as I see good deals on the Srixons go by.     

1 hour ago, toddmanley said:

Same thing here - the 1150 is really smooth and if memory serves me right I think I might have a set of the old Maxfli Revolution Black Dot's in the garage with the 950's.  Both are great feeling shafts that I wouldn't have tried had it not been for the clubfitter dialing things in as I tried a bunch of different shafts.

Thank you toddmanley! I had a similar experience with having an old set of Precept irons that had the original 950GHs in them and I will always remember how smooth they were and how nice and easy they were to hit with.  

Very happy with my 585 with Modus 105s.  I was in between these and 120S.  Been working with a very knowledgeable fitter and he understands my swing and what I am working on.  Traditionally I have been playing a heavier X flex and last set was Apex/Pro combo set with Project x 6.5.   Only 2 rounds in but very happy with how much easier it’s been to hit greens and feel like I can swing much easier. I was a little skeptical about going with the lighter shaft but really happy with my decision.  Good luck!

Driver:     TSI3 9* Motore X F1 75X/AV White Raw 65X
Fairway:  TSI2 15* AV White Raw 75X
Hybrid:    816 H1 21* HB 8.8 Tour Spec S

Irons:       Srixon 585 6-PW Modus 125X
Wedges:  RTX Zip 50M, RTX4 56F, RTX Zip 60L/all S400
Putter:     Mizuno M Craft VI

I've played the Callaway Apex Pro/Apex 19 combo's with the Elevate Tours for almost 2 years now and love them.  A good 1-2 clubs longer than my Titleist AP2 718's and with great feel.  Love the Apex line!  Recently tested the Mizuno HMB and MP20 MB and the Mizuno optimizer recommended the Modus 105S.  I bought them as a back up to the Apex.  Too light for me (94-98 driver SS, 82-84 6i SS) and I was inconsistent.  I swapped with the Modus 120s and it's a big difference for me, much better.  Great mid to high ball flight (for me), much better dispersion/consistency, and great feel.  The 120's far and away better for me.  The 114g wt seems a good fit for me.  I would think the Modus 120s and Apex would be a great match.  Good luck!  FYI, recently did a Club Champion iron fit to try other shafts and heads and the Modus 120s came out on top again (for me).

TM SIM2 Max 9* dialed to 9.75*, Diamana ZF 50s, (Cally Epic Speed and Mavrik Std 9* with RDX Blue 60 6.0 or Tensei 1k 50s as backups), Titleist TSi2 4w RDX Black, Callaway Apex 3 Hybrid 19* 70S, Titleist TSi2 4Hy, Titleist T100s AMT Black S300 PW-5i, Titleist 50.08F Titleist 54.10, Titleist 58.08, Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft Premier 11 35" putter; Driver SS 99-104mph, 2.4 index

I'm playing the Apex 19 with 1050Gh shafts and have been playing great with them. They are similar to the 105. I played the Elevate Tour stock shaft for a month and didnt like the feel, they were very dead.

Epic Speed + ZF 6TSi2 17.25 + AD HD 7 / TSi2 20.25 + AD MJ 8 / TW-X 4 + TR20P + Modus3 105 / MD5 Raw / Toulon JDM Austin 

On 8/19/2020 at 1:23 AM, JLo_73 said:

Very happy with my 585 with Modus 105s.  I was in between these and 120S.  Been working with a very knowledgeable fitter and he understands my swing and what I am working on.  Traditionally I have been playing a heavier X flex and last set was Apex/Pro combo set with Project x 6.5.   Only 2 rounds in but very happy with how much easier it’s been to hit greens and feel like I can swing much easier. I was a little skeptical about going with the lighter shaft but really happy with my decision.  Good luck!

Thank you JLo_73 for your keen and helpful insight! 

On 8/20/2020 at 8:43 AM, Freddie said:

I've played the Callaway Apex Pro/Apex 19 combo's with the Elevate Tours for almost 2 years now and love them.  A good 1-2 clubs longer than my Titleist AP2 718's and with great feel.  Love the Apex line!  Recently tested the Mizuno HMB and MP20 MB and the Mizuno optimizer recommended the Modus 105S.  I bought them as a back up to the Apex.  Too light for me (94-98 driver SS, 82-84 6i SS) and I was inconsistent.  I swapped with the Modus 120s and it's a big difference for me, much better.  Great mid to high ball flight (for me), much better dispersion/consistency, and great feel.  The 120's far and away better for me.  The 114g wt seems a good fit for me.  I would think the Modus 120s and Apex would be a great match.  Good luck!  FYI, recently did a Club Champion iron fit to try other shafts and heads and the Modus 120s came out on top again (for me).

Thank you Freddie! Your swing numbers seem a lot like mine, and your experience with the Apex irons and these shafts should really help me in making a decision.  

I would also suggest the 950GHs or the Modus 105s.  I'm about 95 mph driver and I would probably pick the 950GH in R Flex (have played these a fair amount before).  But I wouldn't classify the Rifle 5.5s as anywhere near that (not rebar but substantially more than any ~90 - 100 gram R flex shafts) and you seem to do OK with them so hard to say.

My personal view is that very few people at this speed hit the ball too high.  Obviously you don't want it to balloon in the wind but generally speaking I think a lot of average golfers could do better with a lighter / softer iron shaft.  But of course that is not for all...