Buying my first NEW set of irons... Shaft??

Alright here's the scoop.  I was given permission (from the wife) to purchase a NEW set of irons.  In the passed, I always purchased clubs from Ebay or WRXer's.  I'm currently gaming Srixon Z565 irons and they have Dynamic Gold S300 shafts in them.  I'm set on either the TM P770 or Mizuno Forged from this year.  

Okay to my question:  How important is shaft in the irons now?  Like I said, I always look for what ever "Stiff" shaft when searching for new "to me" irons.  I am on the fence for going for a fitting because i'm set on 2 different irons, i'll make my choice when i get a chance to hit them.  Would I go with the stock option for the stiff shafts or would you say it's really important to get fitted for a correct shaft?

Next: i've done a little bit of research and the 2 stores near my area do not have different shaft options to try in store, but do offer the Mizuno swing shaft selector thingy to help pick shafts.

What's the consensus on my issue here?  Any and all opinions are welcome :)

Thank you

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Unless you have a specific reason NOT to get fit, go get fit... I was all set on getting C-Tapers in my last set of clubs, knowing that the specs were great for me and they were on paper the perfect m

Thanks everyone! I am going to get fit.  I'll take a drive and maybe make a weekend out of it.  I'll start a new forum for recommendations to go since I'm in the middle of no where in country land of

You made an excellent decision!  Go have some fun with it. Keep an open mind, but it’s also helpful to do a little research before you go.  What are your goals? Why are you getting fit?  Have a few ir

Mate, your wife is only going to give you one chance to get this right. ?

Yes, iron shafts matter a lot. You'll have to decide on what your game is, but there's nothing wrong with continuing in the Dynamic Gold profile. I think that since you're going to get one shot, TM will build you what you want for probably the same price. Stay patient; it's worth it.

Like Navistar says, it might be best to get a fitting. Even pay for the fitting by someone independent. If you do that, you'll know what to get. Length, loft, and lie can all be adjusted based on you, and they all help get you consistency. That's what you want in an iron, right? Don't get anxious and trigger happy because the wife isn't giving you a do-over!

410LST 8º, 13º, 3h 18º, 210 4i, Blueprint s400ti, forged 50/54/58, fetch with breakthrough shaft. First par round 4 Oct 2020.

5 hours ago, Marc21Golf said:

Alright here's the scoop.  I was given permission (from the wife) to purchase a NEW set of irons.  In the passed, I always purchased clubs from Ebay or WRXer's.  I'm currently gaming Srixon Z565 irons and they have Dynamic Gold S300 shafts in them.  I'm set on either the TM P770 or Mizuno Forged from this year.  

Okay to my question:  How important is shaft in the irons now?  Like I said, I always look for what ever "Stiff" shaft when searching for new "to me" irons.  I am on the fence for going for a fitting because i'm set on 2 different irons, i'll make my choice when i get a chance to hit them.  Would I go with the stock option for the stiff shafts or would you say it's really important to get fitted for a correct shaft?

Next: i've done a little bit of research and the 2 stores near my area do not have different shaft options to try in store, but do offer the Mizuno swing shaft selector thingy to help pick shafts.

What's the consensus on my issue here?  Any and all opinions are welcome ?

Thank you

Unless you have a specific reason NOT to get fit, go get fit... I was all set on getting C-Tapers in my last set of clubs, knowing that the specs were great for me and they were on paper the perfect match... I hated them. 

If you have the ability, try out the S400s as well... if you like the S300s, the 400s are a little stiffer but have been a huge upgrade for me personally.

The Mizuno shaft optimizer will point you in the right direction, but you need to actually TRY the shafts before you buy them.

• Like 1

As of 6/5/20

9.5 Cobra LTD Pro with Aldila Silver 110

13 Degree Adams Speedline with Aldila Alpha 

18 Degree Adams A12 with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5 iron Sub70 639 CB with S400

6-PW Adams CMB with Project X 6.0

50, 54, 60 Vokeys

Tank Counter Balance #7 

I recommend you to drive to near by city golf shop like PGA Superstore where they give you good fitting. This will help you to get right shaft for your new irons. This will help in long run and to avoid your wife's mood changes when you ask her to let you to sell and get another sets when you realize that they don't fit you.  Good luck : )

Edited by Phil Major

Callaway MAVRIK 10.5 GD Tour AD IZ 6S

Callaway Epic 16* Fijikura Pro 2.0 5 Stiff

Callaway Rogue Hybrid 19* Recoil 780 F4

Mizuno JPX 919  Hot Metal Pro 5-P  Modus3 Tour 105s

Callaway Jaws MD5 Tour Grey 48* PXI 6.5

Callaway PM Grind 19 Black 54* Steelfiber fc115cw Stiff

Callaway PM Grind Black 58* & 64*  KBS Tour V Stiff

Scotty Cameron Select Square Back 34 Putter

Yellow ProV1X 

Might as well get it right the first time cause prob gonna have those clubs for a while!!

get fit for those 2 models.... heII you might not even like them

edit:  I'm the same never been fit and buy used clubs except for wedges of course BUT I plan to do an iron fitting just to see what shafts fit me instead of playing randoms..... As a par golfer I really think the shaft is prob more important then the heads!

Edited by Barfolomew

As lots have stated, shaft can make or break.  There is so much manipulation that can be done with a shaft that it would be doing an injustice to just pick something with "stiff" on it.  Get fitted, you won't regret it!

Shafts definitely have a major impact and can change head to head in what works with different irons. I think if you have option to get fit it is worth it so you know you got it right. 

Also highly recommend discount dans for your order. They are simply the best. 

TS3 8.5 Ventus Black 7x

Ping G410 17 degree Hybrid Atmos Black 9x

Mizuno CLK 22 degree hybrid Tensei Pro Blue 80TX

T100S 1 degree weak 4-PW Project X 7.0

SM7 50, 54 Project X 6.5 

Taylormade Hi-Toe 60 Project X 6.5

Piretti Cottonwood II

Srixon XV 

Thanks everyone! I am going to get fit.  I'll take a drive and maybe make a weekend out of it.  I'll start a new forum for recommendations to go since I'm in the middle of no where in country land of Michigan. 

• Like 1

You made an excellent decision!  Go have some fun with it. Keep an open mind, but it’s also helpful to do a little research before you go.  What are your goals? Why are you getting fit?  Have a few irons in mind. If do find a place that has the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer, it can be a fun way to not only get some shaft recommendations (ymmv) but also learn a bit about your swing. 

• Like 1