NEW 2021 Graphite Design Tour AD HD Shaft Specs

On 9/7/2020 at 4:17 PM, MH2 said:

Would really like to hear more comparisons to the tour ad-tp 

Personal experience over the last month only...  the AD HD flies a bit higher.  I get lots of good carry with it.  The AD TP is a bit lower and flatter.  No clue which spins more or less, but I'm typically a pretty spinny player, and both do very well.  AD TP has the usual Graphite Design smooth kick to it, and the AD HD has it too, but I feel it's much lower in the shaft and later in the swing if that makes sense.  Both work very well for me paired with a standard Mavrik.  I'm a bit longer with the HD, and a bit straighter with the TP.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Initial thoughts (literally 2 driver swings): Launch is higher than GP, similar to IZ for me. Ballflight was mid/high but flat and it was very easy to square up. Feel smooth and lively, more active th

I have all 5 shafts for my driver, DI, TP, IZ, VR, HD...6-s flex   Swing speed - Smooth 99, Avg 103, Hard 107 Handicap - 0 Length - 46 3/16 Load Style - Smooth Transition from

Personal experience over the last month only...  the AD HD flies a bit higher.  I get lots of good carry with it.  The AD TP is a bit lower and flatter.  No clue which spins more or less, but I'm typi

Posted Images

I've been able to test out the HD 6S shaft across two range sessions and compare it to the other GD shafts I have - DI, TP, and BB (I've been using the BB this year). Driver is a Titleist 915 D2 with 12* loft, standard adapter setting of D4 for LH.  I also got fitted for a TM SIM 10.5* a few weeks ago, stock Diamana shaft, stock length, lofted up in the higher setting, and hit the two drivers head to head to compare. 

My swing speed is in the 100-105 range, with carry distance in the 240-250 range.  I hit the 915 generally pretty straight to a slight draw.  The SIM is definitely longer,  but more prone to go right.

First impressions of the HD are really positive.  I have it at a playing length of 45 inches and was carrying it as far as the SIM, which is 0.75" longer. The HD feels softer to me than the other GD shafts, with more kick at the bottom.  It definitely launches higher with a flat flight that carries a little longer than expected.  It's the smoothest feeling of the 4 GD shafts I have. I'd say the TP feels the stiffest, followed by the DI, then the BB, then the HD.  Having played the BB for most of this year, the HD plays like a higher launching softer version of the BB.  It feels like it unloads more at the bottom of the swing than the BB does.  It gives me the same straight to slight draw ball flight, just higher, which is fine for me since I've always launched it lower.

I'll definitely be putting it in play this weekend.   Looking forward to getting it out on the course.

• Like 4

Titleist TSi3 10*, Tensei AV Blue Raw 55S

Titleist TS2 16.5*, Diamana LTD S+ Blue 80S

Titleist TS2 21*, Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 8S
Miura CB 801 4-PW, Recoil Proto 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4
Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 Crescent Neck LH, 34"

7 hours ago, dwboston said:

I've been able to test out the HD 6S shaft across two range sessions and compare it to the other GD shafts I have - DI, TP, and BB (I've been using the BB this year). Driver is a Titleist 915 D2 with 12* loft, standard adapter setting of D4 for LH.  I also got fitted for a TM SIM 10.5* a few weeks ago, stock Diamana shaft, stock length, lofted up in the higher setting, and hit the two drivers head to head to compare. 

My swing speed is in the 100-105 range, with carry distance in the 240-250 range.  I hit the 915 generally pretty straight to a slight draw.  The SIM is definitely longer,  but more prone to go right.

First impressions of the HD are really positive.  I have it at a playing length of 45 inches and was carrying it as far as the SIM, which is 0.75" longer. The HD feels softer to me than the other GD shafts, with more kick at the bottom.  It definitely launches higher with a flat flight that carries a little longer than expected.  It's the smoothest feeling of the 4 GD shafts I have. I'd say the TP feels the stiffest, followed by the DI, then the BB, then the HD.  Having played the BB for most of this year, the HD plays like a higher launching softer version of the BB.  It feels like it unloads more at the bottom of the swing than the BB does.  It gives me the same straight to slight draw ball flight, just higher, which is fine for me since I've always launched it lower.

I'll definitely be putting it in play this weekend.   Looking forward to getting it out on the course.

Would you say tipping it a 1/2” would bring it closer to the tp?

12 hours ago, MH2 said:

Would you say tipping it a 1/2” would bring it closer to the tp?

Most likely.   If you look at the GD shaft comparison chart (linked below), the HD and TP have the same butt section and mid section stiffness (Firm), but differ in the tip, where the TP is Stiff, while the HD tip is Firm+.  I'll just say that to me, the TP feels noticeably stiffer than the HD, but not everyone may feel that way.

https://proschoicegolfshafts.com/pdf-wood-comparison/

• Like 2

Titleist TSi3 10*, Tensei AV Blue Raw 55S

Titleist TS2 16.5*, Diamana LTD S+ Blue 80S

Titleist TS2 21*, Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 8S
Miura CB 801 4-PW, Recoil Proto 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4
Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 Crescent Neck LH, 34"

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, mdl86 said:

I have all 5 shafts for my driver, DI, TP, IZ, VR, HD...6-s flex

Swing speed - Smooth 99, Avg 103, Hard 107

Handicap - 0

Length - 46 3/16

Load Style - Smooth Transition from the top, Medium Load Energy

DI - High Launching, Draw....2350 backspin, 14.2 launch.  Pronounced kick, very smooth feeling.

TP - Mid-High Launching, Slight Draw...2100rpm, 12.4 launch.  Stable feel, lighter feel thru impact.  Can really feel like you can whip it thru.

IZ - High Launching, slight draw (but easier to work a fade with this than the others)....2100rpm, 14.8 launch.  Stable, smooth feel, very Pronounced kick.  You can see the flat, low spin flight working with this shaft.  At 101 mph 148 ball speed, im carrying it 262, with a 38 degree descent and 20 yards of roll.  When I swing hard...its 275 carry at 105.  Im hitting up on it 3 degrees.  I have these shafts in my 3 and 5 wood, 7-S.  Amazing shaft

VR - Mid-Low Launching, Shaped Draw, Pronounced Movement...2400rpm, 10.5 launch.  Stable feel, lighter feel thru impact.  Can really feel like you can whip it thru like the TP.  Great shaft for anti-right, controllable draw flight.  Great shaft for windy days.

HD - Contender to the IZ...Mid-High Launching, Zero Horizontal bias...2150rpm, 13.9 launch.  Stable feel, less kicky than the IZ, VR and DI.  Works well with a low spin, fade biased driver head in my opinion.  Can't get easy with this shaft, ot performs much better when you are going hard thru impact.  Probably the easiest shaft of all of them to work vertically and horizontally.  Each of the other shafts are sort of locked into their V/H biases...this shaft can be worked for what you need.  

All 5 shafts ratings 

Longest carrys - IZ

Straightest - HD (TP close 2nd)

Best Roll - IZ

Best Feel - IZ (HD close 2nd)

Best Load Feel - VR

Most Workable - HD

Great post! Especially when you’re seem to have identical swing resources like me 😊

Follow up questions.

Do you use any tipping? Since you average about the same as I it’s pretty close to X-flex and I’m aiming to order my Tour AD stiff shafts 1” tipped. Or I might actually go 7s for driver and 8s for fw. 

I have been very close to buy VR, but felt some doubts that it might be a very going left shaft. On the other hand I have a pretty strong draw to my irons, hybrids and fairways. BUT I always (if I don’t miss) hit small fades with the driver. This is coming natural, I don’t try to do it 🤷🏼‍♂️

Most interesting is the info about HD, this sounds very much what I’m looking for. But I like a bit of a kick to feel it’s alive, is there a big difference compared to the other shafts or a subtle difference?

• 2 weeks later...

Quick little review.

I added the Callaway adapter and put it right into my Mavrik 10.5. I played the Ventus blue 6X all summer. It is a really good shaft but I wanted the graphite design “kick”.

I have played several GD Shafts over the last few years, TP/GP/IZand last the VR. Still really love the GP profile. And when I heard that the HD felt very similar then I knew I had to get it.

As I stated I just put the adapter on, no tipping and cut it to a 45 1/2 inch plane length. As I’ve gotten older I’ve gone away from the sex sex and so getting this in a 6S, I figured I would have to tip it a bit. If I end up tipping it 1/2” the oak would be 45. 

The shaft is very lively. I tried choking up on it a little bit to give me an indication of cutting it down to 45 inches and it just performed great. The flight was perfect and lost no distance vs the Ventus. 

Another great addition to the Tour AD line up. 

• Like 1

Twitter: @Ed_Settle
Driver:           Callaway Mavrik 10.5 Ventus Blue 6S
Fairway:        Callaway Mavrik 3+ /13.5*  Rogue 6S
Hybrid:          Callaway Mavrik Pro 2/18*  4/23* KBS Hybrid 85S

Irons:             Callaway '19 Apex Pro 2 Dot 5-PW MMT 105 S
Wedges:       Callaway MD 5 50/56/60 DG S200 
Putter:           Toulon Design Chicago 34" w/Stroke Lab

Ball:               Callaway 2020 CSX 
Bag:               Callaway 6 way carry
My WITB

• 2 months later...

This is definitely my second favorite driver shaft right behind the gp.  For me it actually launches lower than the tp and feels better.

TM M6 9 GD Tour AD HD 6x
TM M6 15 GD Tour AD TP 7x
TM M6 18 GD Tour AD VR 8x
Ping I200, IBlade 4-P power spec Nippon SPO
Ping Glide 2.0 - 49ss, 55ws heel grind, 60ss wrx grind Nippon SPO
Byron Morgan DH89 SSS 350g KBS CT TOUR BLACK
Best Grips leather grips
Snell MTB-X yellow

No neither were tipped.  I’m a low spin player with a neutral aoa.  Tipping is detrimental to my game.

TM M6 9 GD Tour AD HD 6x
Best Grips leather grips
Snell MTB-X yellow

6 minutes ago, tssgj65 said:

Didn't tip my GP X either.

The hd will swing a little different then the gp because of the softer handle but I gained a bit of distance with the hd.

Edited by mokedaddy

TM M6 9 GD Tour AD HD 6x
Best Grips leather grips
Snell MTB-X yellow

2 minutes ago, tssgj65 said:

How is your dispersion?

Good enough for me.  I’ve never tried to quantify dispersion.  To me dispersion is all about the swing and the shaft is just meant to sync up timing.

TM M6 9 GD Tour AD HD 6x
Best Grips leather grips
Snell MTB-X yellow

I find it fascinating that there is such a big difference in recommendation of swingspeed for HD vs IZ for example, and that they say HD is closest to XC, BB and to some extent GP (thought TP was an obvious comparison. 

And also that butt, mid and tip real measurements is so different from what GD specify (compared to IZ for example). 

Normally I’m between flexes in most GD shafts, but apparently a 6s will be my sweet spot for my 105mph smooth swing. 

DBF39FCE-2966-4699-B47E-02414AFEC0C5.png

83995780-839B-4AA2-A7E2-FBDF65ED3178.jpeg

822CCD70-52BE-4BF9-AB62-05E14BBAF2F6.jpeg

6BB8206B-A113-4D70-A8C5-D7EBFB194102.jpeg

Edited by MrShield
  • Like 2