BRX high swing speed

jpbova

Do any of you guys over 105mph play the Bridgestone BRX?  I really like the ball. I played the BX today at Tobacco Road and it scuffed really easily.  Also, it sucked back more than like. I like a ball to just stop.  I notice the extra distance on my irons from the reduced spin on the BRX. Just like I notice the distance difference from the snell mtb-x / titliest pro v1x  and the snell mtb black. 

Gunga Galunga Golf - Golf Photography

You're probably going to give up a mile an hour or so off the driver in ball speed, but the distance loss there will probably be compensated by the distance gained off the irons. So I wouldn't worry too much about that. If it behaves the way you like around the greens it will be fine.

The caveat I have is that balls like the Wilson Duo Pro, Srixon Q-Star Tour, and Taylor Made Tour Response do something similar at a cheaper price point. That being said, those balls aren't any cheaper to make so why are they being sold cheaper? Do they have worse QC? Are the tolerances as tight? With Bridgestone, I believe all 4 balls in the lineup are made to the same standards. With the others, I'm not as sure.

39 minutes ago, arbeck said:

You're probably going to give up a mile an hour or so off the driver in ball speed, but the distance loss there will probably be compensated by the distance gained off the irons. So I wouldn't worry too much about that. If it behaves the way you like around the greens it will be fine.

The caveat I have is that balls like the Wilson Duo Pro, Srixon Q-Star Tour, and Taylor Made Tour Response do something similar at a cheaper price point. That being said, those balls aren't any cheaper to make so why are they being sold cheaper? Do they have worse QC? Are the tolerances as tight? With Bridgestone, I believe all 4 balls in the lineup are made to the same standards. With the others, I'm not as sure.

most of the time I can't hit driver off the tee anyways.  I maybe hit driver 3 times on my home course, tobacco road.  the rest of the time it is 3W and hybrids.  you don't think the reduced spin by off the driver will make up for MPH loss?  I am a high spin player.  I was spinning my driver 3400 RPM before I got a mavrik SZ and now 2600RPM, and I can't play a MTB-x or prov1x or I will spin the ball off the green.

I do think you are correct on paying a premium for Bridgestone QC.  I think it is the only ball up there with Titleist right now

Edited by jpbova
  • Like 1

Gunga Galunga Golf - Golf Photography

20 minutes ago, jpbova said:

most of the time I can't hit driver off the tee anyways.  I maybe hit driver 3 times on my home course, tobacco road.  the rest of the time it is 3W and hybrids.  you don't think the reduced spin by off the driver will make up for MPH loss?  I am a high spin player.  I was spinning my driver 3400 RPM before I got a mavrik SZ and now 2600RPM, and I can't play a MTB-x or prov1x or I will spin the ball off the green.

I do think you are correct on paying a premium for Bridgestone QC.  I think it is the only ball up there with Titleist right now

The X balls usually don't spin that much different off the driver and the X (which almost always has more ball speed) sometimes spins less than the regular. But they're all withing a few hundred RPM's and you're unlikely to spot a difference. Then Snell balls, Titleist Balls, and Srixon balls all basically spin the same off the driver. So the X ball is just giving you ball speed. The Bridgestone balls were reworked for that for 2020. The Callaway X ball spins less off the driver as does the TP5x (so you gain ball speed and lower spin).

• 2 weeks later...

“The caveat I have is that balls like the Wilson Duo Pro, Srixon Q-Star Tour, and Taylor Made Tour Response do something similar at a cheaper price point. That being said, those balls aren't any cheaper to make so why are they being sold cheaper? Do they have worse QC? Are the tolerances as tight? With Bridgestone, I believe all 4 balls in the lineup are made to the same standards. With the others, I'm not as sure.”

I have read Srixon described as “The Titleist of the Orient.” But Srixon doesn’t seem able to capture market share here in the USofA. I assume this is the reason for their discounting their products against their hoped-for competitors. At GG, the RX, played currently by no (or maybe a few?) pros sells for $45 while the Z-Star, quite in use on the Tours, goes for $40. With Srixon, at least, I don’t think QC is at the heart of the pricing difference.

Further, if you’re playing the RX on-and-off like I do, that means you’re an amateur who is not likely to have Tiger-like discernment of single product differences among batches. So QC may be a back-burner issue for some players like me.

YMMV. Not trying to start a food fight ?

• Like 1

RX is the best ball on the planet IMO for feel, straightness, distance and moderate spin. 102 mph driver speed here, and it just plain works for me. I give up nothing vs other balls. Ymmv

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

On 8/21/2020 at 4:22 AM, chippa13 said:

Any distance loss from ball speed will be made up for with distance gain from less spin.

Checking for accuracy here… are we saying that the RX spins *less* than the X?

OK, it does. Checked.

So really, softer, a touch shorter, all in all hardly noticeable?

Edited by karstens_ghost

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg 410LST 9º (TourX) RogueST 3D (ADDI 6X) [OMG what?], 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

I enjoy the RX over the Zstar and Zstar XV (which are the balls I always play). I have a 110 swing speed and don’t see any distance lost vs the X or XS. It spins on my wedge shots just how I like. I bought a dz to try out with some golf galaxy coupons. 

• Like 2

TM Sim 2 9º

Cobra Speedzone 3w
TM Sim 5w

TM 9790 Irons
TM Spider X Putter
Vokey SM8 50º, 54º, 58º

If you go BRX and your swing speed is over 105, you're doing yourself a disservice and losing yardage on your tee shots. You'll have a lot of green side spin and bite / control but, you want a predictable first shot. Expect to play a half club or so shorter than a comparatively higher compression ball that won't balloon in the air so much. 

I have been playing B RX along side with MTB Black as my SS is about 105.  I do not see any distance loss/no dispersion issue off driver like MTB Black.  I like B RX better due to lower spin off irons.  It does not run away like AVX.  Definitely softer feel.  The best wind fighter ever.

Now I game B RX and MTB Black depends on conditions.  Dean has very good competitor to go against.

On 9/2/2020 at 12:06 PM, Shadrach said:

“The caveat I have is that balls like the Wilson Duo Pro, Srixon Q-Star Tour, and Taylor Made Tour Response do something similar at a cheaper price point. That being said, those balls aren't any cheaper to make so why are they being sold cheaper? Do they have worse QC? Are the tolerances as tight? With Bridgestone, I believe all 4 balls in the lineup are made to the same standards. With the others, I'm not as sure.”

I have read Srixon described as “The Titleist of the Orient.” But Srixon doesn’t seem able to capture market share here in the USofA. I assume this is the reason for their discounting their products against their hoped-for competitors. At GG, the RX, played currently by no (or maybe a few?) pros sells for $45 while the Z-Star, quite in use on the Tours, goes for $40. With Srixon, at least, I don’t think QC is at the heart of the pricing difference.

Further, if you’re playing the RX on-and-off like I do, that means you’re an amateur who is not likely to have Tiger-like discernment of single product differences among batches. So QC may be a back-burner issue for some players like me.

YMMV. Not trying to start a food fight ?

I don't have any issue or concerns about the quality of the Z-Star. I also don't really have many concerns about the TP5 (i haven't heard any) or the Wilson Staff ball. My concern is with the Duo Pro, Q-Star Tour, and Tour Response. These balls are all $10-15 cheaper than the tour ball version from the same company. Where is that extra savings coming from? I don't believe a Q-Star Tour costs any less to make than a Z-Star, so either the margins are much worse, or they have widened their tolerances to have fewer rejects.

5 hours ago, arbeck said:

My concern is with the Duo Pro, Q-Star Tour, and Tour Response. These balls are all $10-15 cheaper than the tour ball version from the same company. Where is that extra savings coming from? I don't believe a Q-Star Tour costs any less to make than a Z-Star, so either the margins are much worse, or they have widened their tolerances to have fewer rejects.

I have always looked at it from a different lens.  Prices are established partially on how much a person is willing to pay (people will pay more for the "best") and partially based on costs (manufacturing/QC/sponsorship/engineering/marketing/testing, etc...).The Q-Star Tour manufacturing costs are probably very similar to the Z-Star but other costs may not be (i.e. sponsorship/testing). Plus (the margin issue you mentioned) Srixon management probably believes they can set higher markup's for balls used by professionals (especially the far east) with aggressive marketing. The target "audience" for the mid compression urethane balls are the average weekend golfer on a budget. 

So it could be lax or less stringent QC  or it could simply be a smaller markup for a ball targeting a segment of golf that won't pay premium prices.

p.s...The TM Tour response is a 3 pc urethane vs the 5 pc TP5...so I assume manufacturing costs are likely less for the Tour Response....I think Bridgestone simply says F*** it, we are charging full markup even for the "Tour" balls aimed at weekend golfers (B RX, B RXS) even though no regular tour players use them.

Regards    

Edited by rwbloom93

Bridgestone would remind you they have a few Champs players in RX/RXS.

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg 410LST 9º (TourX) RogueST 3D (ADDI 6X) [OMG what?], 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

On 9/9/2020 at 1:04 AM, karstens_ghost said:

Bridgestone would remind you they have a few Champs players in RX/RXS.

When I peeked at the Bridgestone site, I noted that Freddie plays the RXS. Years ago, I recall Lee Trevino was said to play the RX. I can't find any other players, but I'm not a very good and determined 'net searcher. Would you pls name the other Champion Tour players gaming an RX(S)? Thanks!

29 minutes ago, Shadrach said:

When I peeked at the Bridgestone site, I noted that Freddie plays the RXS. Years ago, I recall Lee Trevino was said to play the RX. I can't find any other players, but I'm not a very good and determined 'net searcher. Would you pls name the other Champion Tour players gaming an RX(S)? Thanks!

Rocco Mediate is also playing the RXS.

I can't say I've noticed any loss of distance with the BRX off the tee. My typical drive is 250-280. Had a good ball striking day a few weeks ago and threw out a few 280+ and a 316. If I'm losing 5 yards, so be it. I love the improved distance and distance consistency off the irons, wedges and putter. Last season I committed to playing only the Srixon Z-Star and BXS. I never noticed longer drives, but am absolutely at least 1/2 a club shorter with irons than I am with the RX. (and the new RXS).

250+ and at 61 I can play from the Senior tees whenever I want. I'm not chasing a few more yards and "settling" with irons and wedges playing at least 1/2 a club shorter to get a few yards off the tee. I also like that I can control the spin with the RX very easily. 

On a whim, I tried the BRXS last week.  I liked the old RXS except with Driver and putter. Off the driver, it spun too much and it definately cost me distance.  It just seemed to "jump" off the putter and I struggled with speed control.  The new version was really good off driver and 3 wood tee shots. It felt really good and consistent off the putter too. I have the RX in the bag and will keep it there through the couple of tournaments I have coming up, but will explore the RXS more when they're done. 

PXG  9* 0811 X  Hazardous Smoke Yellow 60g Stiff

Wishon 929HS 3W  Wishon Black 65g Stiff

Wishon 929HS 7W  Wishon Black 65g R 

PXG 0211 5i DG 105 Regular

Wishon 575MMC  5 - AW  Wishon Superlight Stiff

Ping Glide 3.0  54*  KBS 610 Stiff shaft

Ping Glide 3.0  60*  Z-115 Wedge shaft

PING Anser 3 Goose Neck Putter