Vokey Grind Advice for 54* and 60*?

RobDMB

18 hours ago, Florida Gator said:

I would also point out that if you haven’t found Goldilocks, get as close as you can and grind them yourself to get what you want.  It’s not hard at all.  I like a low to mid bounce with a thinner sole for my 46 and 50, so I grind the trailing edge an 1/8” and buzz the heel on the 50 a tad.  The 54 and 58 are M grinds as is in the SM7.  The 58 needs to be replaced this winter, but when the 54 needs replaced I know I’ll be regrinding a 54S to match the 54M.

I was just looking at my 54M vs the 54S this morning thinking about taking some off the heel of the S. How does it look after you hit it with the grinder? 

Edited by TourSpoon
clarification

Cobra F9 9* Evenflow White 6.0, F9 Tour Fairway 13.5* Evenflow White 6.0 

Titleist U500 3 20* Hzdrus Smoke Black 6.0 

Titleist 718 AP2 4-P DG AMT S300, Vokey SM7 50/8*, 54/10*, 58/10*, S200

TaylorMade My Spider Tour, TaylorMade TP5X 

On 11/23/2020 at 8:05 AM, TourSpoon said:

I was just looking at my 54M vs the 54S this morning thinking about taking some off the heel of the S. How does it look after you hit it with the grinder? 

I use a belt sander with 60 grit belts.  Draw on the wedge with a sharpie so you know the extent of what to remove.  Take longer deliberate swipes and don’t take too much off.  I’ve polished my 50* all the way to 1200 grit disks and gave it one hell of a mirror shine.  My 46* was left with the 60 grit finish and if the abrasion pattern is straight and consistent, that looks good as well.

• 2 months later...
On 8/20/2020 at 1:13 PM, MysteryV said:

I recently picked up a T grind and WOW - thing is absolutely amazing.  I haven't played a Vokey for quite a while, but may be a convert.

I realize this thread may be dead but what have you loved so much about the T grind? My swing is steep and I play high bounce in my 56 and 52. I only use my 60 for flop shots, to a tight pin from bunker / higher lip , or when short sided and need to stop it quick. Aka only around the green. Never full swing (unless I'm trying something dumb) or with a square face. 

I played a hi-toe 60 for about a year, I liked it and it was pretty solid all around but it never quite felt right. It was a bit clunky on tight lights and firm conditions. So I found an SM5 60L and had a few rounds / practice sessions in the fall before the snow came. Much prefer it to the hi-toe but still not sure its fully what I am looking for. Love the increased versatility but its not a smooth through the ground as I would like. Been thinking about a 60T or low bounce K, but given those are custom shop only I'm a bit hesitant to make that experiment  

Titleist TS3 - TPO 70TX

Titleist 917 F2 16.5 - Diamana W 80X

Titleist 718 TMB 2 - MMT 105TX

Mizuno MP18 4-P - TTDG X100

Vokey SM7 52.12F, 56.14F - TTDG S400

Vokey SM8 60.08 M - TTDG S400

TaylorMade Tour Spider

12 hours ago, BleederFade said:

I realize this thread may be dead but what have you loved so much about the T grind? My swing is steep and I play high bounce in my 56 and 52. I only use my 60 for flop shots, to a tight pin from bunker / higher lip , or when short sided and need to stop it quick. Aka only around the green. Never full swing (unless I'm trying something dumb) or with a square face. 

I played a hi-toe 60 for about a year, I liked it and it was pretty solid all around but it never quite felt right. It was a bit clunky on tight lights and firm conditions. So I found an SM5 60L and had a few rounds / practice sessions in the fall before the snow came. Much prefer it to the hi-toe but still not sure its fully what I am looking for. Love the increased versatility but its not a smooth through the ground as I would like. Been thinking about a 60T or low bounce K, but given those are custom shop only I'm a bit hesitant to make that experiment  

The important thing to note with my setup is that I have an extremely high bounce wedge and an extremely low bounce wedge.  As winter has softened up all the courses I play, the T gets much less use than it did during the summer.  Even in the firm, wet, shallow bunkers I've moved to the high bounce wedge as chunk and running is the only consistent option.

The key to the low bounce wedge for me is knowing when to use it and when NOT to use it.

To that end, I tend to open my 60 up frequently and play from firm, shallow bunkers.  It's pretty great for both those situations, as well as tight lies.  It's not the most consistent club for me on full,  square swings, but that' not typically an issue.

Hope that helps.

SIM2 Diamana PD 6x

Miura 1008 - MMT 125 TX

Epic 3w/5w/4h - Tour AD-DI

Wedgeworks SM8 55D / 60T

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, LaymanM said:

I have SM7 54s and 58d. Haven’t been a fan of 54s and sometimes feel 58d has too much bounce. I play in southern Ohio. 

Just picked up SM8 54d and 58m. Guess I have a lot of options now lol

I am curious to know what you think of the 54 D.  I have the 52 & 56 SM7 both F grind which are fine.  However I have my 60 in D which I love out of bunkers, rough, flops etc.. very versatile even around firm greens.  Was contemplating perhaps a 56 in D as I rarely use it for full swings.

• Like 1

TSi3 10*
917 F2 16.5*
G425 19*
4-P MMC MP 20
SM7 52F 56F 60D
Rossie White Hot

22 hours ago, beluga99 said:

I am curious to know what you think of the 54 D.  I have the 52 & 56 SM7 both F grind which are fine.  However I have my 60 in D which I love out of bunkers, rough, flops etc.. very versatile even around firm greens.  Was contemplating perhaps a 56 in D as I rarely use it for full swings.

I haven’t hit them outside yet. Will let you know. Curious how it handles the wet turf right now.  I mainly wanted it because I don’t find the F or S versatile and don’t like the height I get chipping with it.  On artificial mat it was extremely easy to open up and hit the shots I wanted. I think it’s gonna be really good but we shall see. 

• Like 1

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
Titliest SM7 50f, 54s, 58d
SC Phantom X 5.5

On 3/17/2021 at 10:06 PM, beluga99 said:

54D SM8 is money. I absolutely LOVE it!  Tons bounce when I want it but easy to open up. Plays a lot like the 58D. Now I feel I have a versatile set of wedges. 58M is much better off bare/tight lies then 58d for me. 

I see myself using the 54D a lot around the green this year. 

• Like 1

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
Titliest SM7 50f, 54s, 58d
SC Phantom X 5.5

32 minutes ago, LaymanM said:

54D SM8 is money. I absolutely LOVE it!  Tons bounce when I want it but easy to open up. Plays a lot like the 58D. Now I feel I have a versatile set of wedges. 58M is much better off bare/tight lies then 58d for me. 

I see myself using the 54D a lot around the green this year. 

Thanks for the update.  My normal conditions are medium to soft, and the 60 D works fine off hardpan so I might also take the plunge.

TSi3 10*
917 F2 16.5*
G425 19*
4-P MMC MP 20
SM7 52F 56F 60D
Rossie White Hot