National Membership Ideas?

Hi all! Member since 2012 but only my 3rd post. Live in Nashville, TN and I'm a member at a course in Murfreesboro where I grew playing and working as a kid. Have been considering a National membership somewhere in the South that I could fly or even drive to. These are the courses I have considered so far.

* Secession (know one member there), the flight from Nashville to Charleston is short and cheap. Have heard Secession can be played almost year round which would be great. No clue what the initiation is or what the monthly would be.

* Burnt Pine in Miramar Beach, FL played it once years ago and I know it's very nice. Their website mentioned 13k initiation and roughly $400 a month 

* Dreamt of "trying" to get in The Honors Club. I know its difficult but know 3 members there (one of whom has been a member there since the late 80s). Would be 3hrs drive from Nashville.

No clue what the initiation is or what the monthly would be.

* Even considered Golf Club of TN. Heard they're building a new 18 holes but have heard theres a waitlist to get in. I realize the Golf Club of TN wouldn't be a National membership as its only 30min from downtown Nashville but I know its really great golf. Heard its 100K when you get to the top of the waitlist but not sure what the monthly is. 

Just thought I would start here and see what opinions you all had for me and get some ideas for places I might not have considered yet...

Any thoughts would be gratefully appreciated! 

All would be a bit further, but interesting options I've come across would be:

• Forest Creek or Country Club of North Carolina (CCNC) in the Pinehurst area - each have two courses which is appealing
  • Reynolds Lake Oconee or Cuscowilla (about 90 minutes from ATL)
  • A bit closer to Savannah from Secession would be Berkeley Hall
  • Given your location, Dormie Network could be a good option too - Dormie Club, Ballyhack, and Victoria National all within reach if you'd be open to a multi-club type membership
  • Like 1

For comparison look into joining a Club Corp club.  I don't know if there's one in your area but they are all over the country.  Join one and you get to play all the others for only a cart fee.  CC may even offer a "National" membership - I know they have various membership options.  I'm in the DC area and there are several CC clubs which comes in handy when my club aerates or performs other maintenance.  Very convenient when planning vacations too.  

I’d second looking into Dormie Network. Currently initiation is $10k, about to go up to $15k though. I think annual dues are $6k/year. 

If you’re open to public courses, I’ve been told Mid Pines and Pine Needles together is a $5k initiation and $1300/year. Great deal for two great courses, and they’re adding Southern Pines to their network soon. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cristphoto said:

For comparison look into joining a Club Corp club.  I don't know if there's one in your area but they are all over the country.  Join one and you get to play all the others for only a cart fee.  CC may even offer a "National" membership - I know they have various membership options.  I'm in the DC area and there are several CC clubs which comes in handy when my club aerates or performs other maintenance.  Very convenient when planning vacations too.  

Idk why he would look at Club Corp compared to the level he is looking at. I enjoy my Club Corp membership but he mentioned Honors possibly being an option in the OP.  

Edited by oneunderbogey

+1 for Berkeley Hall. It’s just a thirty minute drive from the Savannah airport and they offer two courses.

They are currently waiving the $5,000 initiation fee. The annual tab is $6,935, billed semi-annually. (The details are noted on BH’s website.)

I’ll be following. National Membership threads are always a fun read.

• Like 1

I recently went through the process of joining a club as a national member. There certainly are some good offerings available currently. Here are a few recommendations that have not been mentioned:

- If you are considering Secession, Chechessee Creek Club also is worth looking at. The facilities are top notch, they have on-site lodging, and the course has an excellent low country feel designed by Coore & Crenshaw with some really fun greens. Like Secession, you can play CCC nearly year round and is convenient from Charleston, Hilton Head or Savannah.

- Although not really in the south, the club that is considered as having one of the best National Membership offerings for the quality of the course is Prairie Dunes in Hutchinson, Kansas (about an hour outside of Wichita and I hear that they will shuttle you back-and-forth from the Wichita airport, so no rental car would be needed). Top 30 course in the U.S. designed by Perry & Press Maxwell. Initiation is similar, but annual dues for the national category are less than half of some of the clubs already mentioned. It's remote, but the course is exceptional. 

- With you being located in Nashville, you should seriously consider Lookout Mountain Club (just south of Chattanooga). The drive is 2 hours from the Nashville area. Seth Raynor designed golf course that was "restored" consistent with Raynor's original plans about 20 years ago and has been consistently maintained ever since. It is always a good time seeing how the MacDonald/Raynor templates were fit into a piece of property. Due to the undulating property on which it sits, Lookout Mountain plays a lot longer than the yardage listed and the course has one of the most challenging sets of greens to read that I have ever played. Some of the putts are confounding and local knowledge goes a long way once a member knows the course. Individuals who live more than 75 miles from the club are eligible for the national membership. The initiation fee and monthly dues are extremely reasonable when compared to other architecturally significant clubs. If I lived a couple hours closer, this would have been my choice.

- The Virginian in Bristol, VA just released some very aggressive pricing for their national membership. This is a solid Tom Fazio layout with great amenities for the family, or if you are taking a group with you. Pricing is some of the best I have seen for a national membership and can be found on the club's website: https://thevirginian.com/membership. The Virginian recently selected Troon Prive to manage the club, so there likely will be some reciprocity to access other Troon Prive properties if you become a national member, which would be an added bonus of also being able to get on those clubs.

On 8/22/2020 at 10:26 AM, pricebbt said:

I’d second looking into Dormie Network. Currently initiation is $10k, about to go up to $15k though. I think annual dues are $6k/year. 

If you’re open to public courses, I’ve been told Mid Pines and Pine Needles together is a $5k initiation and $1300/year. Great deal for two great courses, and they’re adding Southern Pines to their network soon. 

100%

Gunga Galunga Golf - Golf Photography

19 hours ago, luvxfinity said:

For opposite seasons, I'd look at Mountain Lake if you want a lower budget. Calusa Pines if your can afford it. Honors would be a good choice, as would Prairie and Ballyneal, but I'd opt for something with opposite seasons. 

Old Poster, can't find old login info! ? 

luvxfinity- do you know what National membo cost at calusa is?

Callaway AI SMOKE TD 10.5 (N-1 9.5) w Speeder 661 vi

Callaway AI SMOKE Max 15 (N+1) w Ventus Blue+ 7x (in the build shop)

Callaway AI SMOKE TD 18 w Ventus Blue+ 7x (in the build shop)

Callaway AI SMOKE Hybrids 4, 5 w Ventus Blue 8x/9x (in the build shop)
PXG GEN 5 0311T 6-W KBS Tour 120 Black

Titleist Wedgeworks Raw 50.08M (50.5), 56.08M (57), PXG SDII Raw 60.07 Wide (61) 
LAB Link.1 34.5/72 H

Thank you all for the responses and the detail information. 

I am working on that angle to hopefully get an invite at The Honors Course and if that falls through (which I am not holding my breathe haha) I will take a deeper look at many of these others options. 

Regardless of what happens, this has been very good reading this past week. I love hearing everyones opinions of different courses etc...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

My 2cents and also following this post as I’d love another great club to visit from time to time.

The why you are looking to join and what do you think your life may be like in 5,10,20 years would be a big determinant.   I now have young kids and I need to consider what other amenities the club has itself or nearby to get max use.  I’m in the Carolinas too so ideally going somewhere either warmer in the winter or cooler I the summer is ideal.  Note an exception if it’s a top course.  How often would you look to use?

Pinehurst area has multiple options.  It’s a solid drive though and not much warmer then Nashville in the winter.  You also can get on most of these without joining.

For the Hilton Head area courses mentioned you may get some summer privileges at the other courses in the area.  I would guess Secession & Chechessee have lots of national members so you may meet some new friends which would open other doors

Olympia Fields 1-2 years ago was promoting some great deals on national membership.  I think some other northern clubs have some nice national memberships. 

Clubcorp – I’d pass unless you’re traveling all over and looking for volume.  It isn’t bad it just isn’t quality. 

Dismal River in Nebraska looks awesome, esp if you like some of their other activities. 

The golf club at Cuscowilla in GA also has some type of program where you can get nights in their villas included.  Lo

I’d personally love something like Secession, Old Town, Wade Hampton, etc.  Who wouldn’t but you need the right person to invite you I assume. 

Thanks for all of the ideas and thoughts to consider PeteNC! I do not have children (yet) and I am sure my current GF will want them someday. 

One thing I have considered is going on and joining a club now pre children so that I will already have a national membership somewhere so that its done prior to children which could ultimately keep me from joining a club in the future. If that makes sense... haha

• 1 month later...

Holston Hills Country Club in Knoxville is a fabulous Donald Ross course rated 4th in TN.  They have a national membership and are a McConnell Club.  That gives you access to 14 properties including Sedgefield where they play the Wyndham.  Holston is the best course followed by Old North State and Treyburn Country Club.