2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

What is “ready golf”?

Ok, so I thought I knew what “ready golf” generally meant.  Be i got paired with an older guy who says to me “I play ready golf, is that OK?” .  Of course, I like fast golf too, so I’m like “yeah, of course”.  And he says back “no, I really play ready golf, are you sure?”

So at this point I’m a little unsure what I’m agreeing too. Long story short, the guy would just go to his ball, hit it regardless of where anyone else was or what they were doing.  He would occasionally look back to see if he was in the way, but honesty, not that much.  He just went up, hit, went up, hit went up, hit, putt out.  I never really saw anything like it before, and if I’m being honest, it was really nice.   It made the round go SOOOO fast.   Yes, there were a few moments when I’d have to wait a second because I wasn’t sure where he was going (he was hard of hearing too, so asking never worked).  But for the most part, I had never played any form of golf like that before.  It was just hit when you’re ready no matter what anyone else is doing or where they are. 

Most of the time I’ll say to folks “assume we are playing ready golf?”....they say yes, and then get mad because they didn’t tee off first after a par.  So I know there are different definitions of what “ready golf” means to some, and this extreme example was interesting.  

So what is “ready golf”?

6 minutes ago, CactusGolf said:

Just means that you're ready to hit your shot when it is your turn.  You've already lasered your shot, picked your club, and ready to go while others are hitting their shots.  Honors off the tee don't really matter (and shouldn't) so the wait time is less.

Sounds like the old guy played as a single and you were along for the ride.  Doesn't sound like a super enjoyable round.

No, it was the opposite, it was great.  No one in front of us, he wasn’t even that great, but we flew through the round.  It was very enjoyable not standing around and caring what everyone else was doing, we just played our games, and as long as it was safe to hit, we hit. 

So your definition is kinda what I would normally think.  Like i said, many folks seem to have issues with the tee box order even after saying “ready golf”.  But I would add that ready golf means hit when it’s safe and non-interfering to do so, not just when it’s “your turn”.   Like when a guy is wild right and looking for a ball in another fairway, and your KNOW you’re closer to the hole So its not your “turn” , but it’s going to take him a while.   Hit your shot THEN go back and help look.  Don’t leave your ball, go look, and then go back to hit you shot.  

What this guy really showed me is, the game can be played MUCH faster than we play it without too much impact if you adjust your thinking about who’s ”supposed” to hit. 

Edited by clinkinfo

Just now, clinkinfo said:

No, it was the opposite, it was great.  No one in front of us, he wasn’t even that great, but we flew through the round.  It was very enjoyable not standing around and caring what everyone else was doing, we just played our games, and as long as it was safe to hit, we hit. 

So your definition is kinda what I would normally think.  Like i said, many folks seem to have issues with the tee box order even after saying “ready golf”.  But I would add that ready golf means hit when it’s safe and non-interfering to do so, not just when it’s “your turn”.   Like when a guy is wild right and looking for a ball in another fairway, and your KNOW you’re closer to the hole So its not your “turn” , but it’s going to take him a while.   Hit your shot THEN go back and help look.  Don’t leave your ball, go look, and then go back to hit you shot.  

That's pretty much what I think of too.  A lot of groups lose time on the green too with making sure that they play in the order of "furthest away".  Our regular group plays "whoever is ready have at it".

• Like 2

Callaway AI Smoke Max 11.5* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 15* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Taylormade SIM DHY 19* Diamana Hybrid

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-PW Fujikura Axiom

Taylormade HiToe Bigfoot 52*/56*/60* Fujikura Pro

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

That's speed golf, not ready golf.

As for honors off the tee.. always. Unless the people you're playing with and it's not match play won't get out of their carts and on the tee. Most times when people play that way is what happens at Crossroads and each side tries to wave each other through and finally one person gets fed up with it and hits and disaster ensues.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

6 minutes ago, GSDriver said:

For us, ready golf means, skip the honors on the tee, don't fret over who's away by a foot on the greens and keep moving.  No wonder our average round time is 3:15

Exactly, that is ready golf.

What the old geezer did was not the kind of ready golf I would like to experience because it seems he may have disturbed other players. That is not the idea.

Edited by Mr. Bean
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, clinkinfo said:

What?  Honors on the tee clearly is clearly not ready golf.  Whoever is ready always plays first unless its a competition (in which case you’d never be agreeing to play ready golf).  

And as some others posted, I think the more concise way to say what I was trying to say:  

Being “ready” to play when it’s your turn is simply GOLF.  That’s how it’s ALWAYS supposed to be, that’s not really “ready golf”.   Ready golf means you are all agreeing that you will potentially play out of turn when it makes sense for the pace of play. 

When everyone knows when they're supposed to hit and does so, we can play pretty fast. It's the guys that never realize it's their turn that slow things down. Especially on the tee. 

Speeding around not paying attention to who's where and getting in the way is speed golf. 

We don't have to agree to ready golf, we just do it, where applicable. Then again it's all competition golf not casual.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

I have a played around 50 rounds this season.  Many have been tiresome due to to fourballs in front moving slow, 1 person hits while 3 watching, then slowly moving to their balls.

It would be so much faster if peeps learn to walk to their ball, grab a club, look out to see if you are in anyones line, if not play your shot and proceed.
 otherwise watch out for your buddies shot, then hit yours... get the pace going !!!

Edited by xoxo_tw
  • Like 1

In my experience ready golf has always meant that we exclude honors and when you're on the green if you're ready just make sure that everyone else is aware you're putting and move on. It's much easier to play ready golf with better players though as you're not waiting on people to find their balls or worried about them shanking one into your cart.

After your ball has stopped in the fairway/rough/wherever, you should already be planning your next shot.

If your ball is off the green, take a wedge and your putter with you.  Worried about getting your putter grip wet with dew?  Take a towel too!  No unnecessary going back and forth to the cart.

Have Fun - Ready Golf - Repair Divots/Marks - FORE

2 hours ago, clinkinfo said:

What?  Honors on the tee clearly is clearly not ready golf.  Whoever is ready always plays first unless its a competition (in which case you’d never be agreeing to play ready golf).  

And as some others posted, I think the more concise way to say what I was trying to say:  

Being “ready” to play when it’s your turn is simply GOLF.  That’s how it’s ALWAYS supposed to be, that’s not really “ready golf”.   Ready golf means you are all agreeing that you will potentially play out of turn when it makes sense for the pace of play. 

Two perfect definitions!

BT

• Like 1

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

... I play a ton as a single and get paired up with strangers so as some have said, Ready Golf means hitting your shot if you are ready and nobody is in you way. If I have 150 to the pin on the right side of the fairway and the other player has 165 on the left side but is fidgeting with his rangefinder, wiping his clubs, talking with his pard or most egregious looking at his phone, I go ahead and hit my shot and don't wait for him. Same thing on the green or chipping. If nobody is in your way and you are ready to chip/putt although you are closer to the hole, go ahead and hit your shot. This does not mean speeding thru your shot or hitting when someone further away is ready or just about ready. I always walk and imo there is nothing worse than having a putt for birdie from 10 feet and waiting for the 2 guys still in their cart to finish getting another beer out of their bag, looking at their phone or just talking and not getting to their balls on the green for a bogie or double and just standing around waiting. I am not gonna stand in the hot sun and wait while they dick around. 

... That said,  of course I play with people that are ready when it is their turn because they take the game seriously and are respectful of their partners. On those days it isn't necessary to play out of turn because everyone is ready when it is their turn. 

• Like 2

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    Cobra Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour

It's really refreshing when I watch college golf on TV to see the kids playing ready golf with no concern for who has honors.  Sometimes they tee off as other members of their group are still arriving to the tee.  They often putt out and walk off to the next tee while others are still putting.  They look over their shoulder to see if the person made the putt.  They just don't see it as rude to walk away while others are putting, and I really don't either as long as you don't disturb your competitor.  And the only downside to teeing off while others are still arriving to the tee is that you have fewer eyes on the ball.  They also stand ridiculously close to each other when playing and putting, which would probably disturb many club/recreational golfers.    

• Like 1

I think it means be ready to hit as soon as it's your turn.   Be at your ball, know what shot you want to hit and what club you want to hit.   Start your routine or hitting the shot as soon as the person ahead of you is done.

For me, it doesn't mean hitting out of turn.   If the person who should be away is ready, they get dibs as long as they're ready.  If they're not then whoever is next up goes.   If the person ahead doesn't have a club in hand I assume it's ok for me to go.   Otherwise there's some exchanged glances and a 'go ahead' either spoken or a friendly wave.

Same on the tee... person with honors gets first dibs, especially after birdie or better, but usually after a few holes it becomes apparent who prefers to go first and who would rather hang back. 

I think the person you played with would have been considered a little overzealous for a first meeting but for the fact that he did give you a heads up.

Edited by BlkNGld

R6.4b(2) Playing Out of Turn in a Safe and Responsible Way (“Ready Golf”).

Players are both allowed and encouraged to play out of turn in a safe and responsible way, such as when:

• Two or more players agree to do so for convenience or to save time,
  • A player’s ball comes to rest a very short distance from the hole and the player wishes to hole out, or
  • An individual player is ready and able to play before another player whose turn it is to play under the normal order of play in (1), so long as in playing out of turn the player does not endanger, distract or interfere with any other player.

But if the player whose turn it is to play under (1) is ready and able to play and indicates that he or she wants to play first, other players should generally wait until that player has played.

A player should not play out of turn to gain an advantage over other players.

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

12 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I play a ton as a single and get paired up with strangers so as some have said, Ready Golf means hitting your shot if you are ready and nobody is in you way. If I have 150 to the pin on the right side of the fairway and the other player has 165 on the left side but is fidgeting with his rangefinder, wiping his clubs, talking with his pard or most egregious looking at his phone, I go ahead and hit my shot and don't wait for him. Same thing on the green or chipping. If nobody is in your way and you are ready to chip/putt although you are closer to the hole, go ahead and hit your shot. This does not mean speeding thru your shot or hitting when someone further away is ready or just about ready. I always walk and imo there is nothing worse than having a putt for birdie from 10 feet and waiting for the 2 guys still in their cart to finish getting another beer out of their bag, looking at their phone or just talking and not getting to their balls on the green for a bogie or double and just standing around waiting. I am not gonna stand in the hot sun and wait while they dick around. 

... That said,  of course I play with people that are ready when it is their turn because they take the game seriously and are respectful of their partners. On those days it isn't necessary to play out of turn because everyone is ready when it is their turn. 

Nothing worse than morons screwing around with their phones when they should be hitting.  

Ready golf is usually on the tee box in my view. If you are ready to hit, go for it rather than waiting for Mr. Slow who has to calculate wind and slope and the obtuse angle of and isosoleese triangle. Yes I meant to misspell it for you. But when you are out in the fairway, unless you truly are out of the way and not in any ones line of sight, then by all means play as you see fit. Now if you have a player who just goes up to his ball as if he was the only one on the hole, then he is not playing ready golf. More like I wanted to play single golf and I got paired with you. Haaaa haaaa

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

I'm surprised you enjoyed the round OP, as another poster mentioned it sounds like he was just playing his own game and you were kind of just an accessory to his round

That being said, i am a big fan of what is more commonly called ready golf, which to me means players mostly just play when they are ready and there is a relatively normal "flow" to the round. Meaning you wait until people are at their ball, but if you are ready to go and someone else is still scoping their distance or looking for their glove or something , you just say "i'll hit" and everyone is cool with that. Also i am perfectly fine with no honors off the tee...in my group we usually only enforce honors after a birdie. 

• Thanks 1

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

1 hour ago, Sonja Henie said:

It's really refreshing when I watch college golf on TV to see the kids playing ready golf with no concern for who has honors.  Sometimes they tee off as other members of their group are still arriving to the tee.  They often putt out and walk off to the next tee while others are still putting.  They look over their shoulder to see if the person made the putt.  They just don't see it as rude to walk away while others are putting, and I really don't either as long as you don't disturb your competitor.  And the only downside to teeing off while others are still arriving to the tee is that you have fewer eyes on the ball.  They also stand ridiculously close to each other when playing and putting, which would probably disturb many club/recreational golfers.    

I can tell you from experience, that’s because the junior competitive series they all play in mandate fast play, and consequently teach them to play this way.  It’s a good thing, I agree, but it’s very different from the way many old school people play OR EXPECT OTHERS TO PLAY.   Can you imagine walking to the tee box before everyone in the group is finished?  That would be looked at by most as terrible, but the kids get taught to do whatever keeps the pace moving.

it definitely comes out of the competitive junior events, they are pushed hard to stay on pace or the group in it’s entirety gets penalized.  

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

I'm surprised you enjoyed the round OP, as another poster mentioned it sounds like he was just playing his own game and you were kind of just an accessory to his round

That being said, i am a big fan of what is more commonly called ready golf, which to me means players mostly just play when they are ready and there is a relatively normal "flow" to the round. Meaning you wait until people are at their ball, but if you are ready to go and someone else is still scoping their distance or looking for their glove or something , you just say "i'll hit" and everyone is cool with that. Also i am perfectly fine with no honors off the tee...in my group we usually only enforce honors after a birdie. 

Look, I’m a good player who plays fast as it is.  Some of the responses here drive me nuts because in casual rounds I can’t stand the “Oder of play” rules, the wait on the tee box honor rules, the green rituals....IMO we aren’t playing on the PGA tour, so I think we can skip some of the nonsense in general for a regular golf round and keep the whole course moving.   So for me, it wasn’t that much of an adjustment, I just wasn’t used to playing so out of order all the time I guess.    We played as a threesome, so there was another (he was confused as well, we were talking as we crossed each other lol).  But once I got a handle on the “rules” he lived by (which was basically just don’t hit me) it was nice because we all just focused on OUR games.  Going out and genuinely not caring what the other folks are doing, because order doesn’t matter anymore, and no one is going to give anyone crap for etiquette.....you have nothing left kinda but your game.  

That said, I’m more in line with some of the above posters in how I play “ready golf” normally.  To me it’s exactly what some others have said:

1. No honors on the tee box, just hit when ready.

2.  In the fairway, as long as no one is in your way or your shot isn’t going to cause confusion or interference with someone else, go ahead at any time regardless of who’s away.  

3. On the green, as long as no one is putting the same line in front of me (knowing they might want to watch my putt), putt when ready, just hole out whenever possible,  and move on.  

I don’t think I could confidently play this gentlemen’s version or ready golf every time, it would be too confusing to those that get pared up, and not knowing how someone plays, standing even 1 yard in front of some golfers is not a good idea!  I got hit in the hip by a shank once standing about 5 feet in front of someone’s line and 20 feet to the side.  And yes, I do realize I shouldn’t have been standing there, so I accept my responsibility in the injury lol.  But I don’t really need to do that again, and ever since I ALWAYS stand 5 feet back.  I didn’t think that shot was psychically possible until it hit me!

For me it means don't worry about who has the honours. But it does not mean swing as often as you can until blocked. You should still be taking it 'in turns' with the other players. The only exception would be if you can hole out in which case two shots in succession is acceptable.

Edited by andrue

I think most rounds I play are played as "ready golf" on the tee and in the fairway. No honors, and hit if your ready when it makes sense.

However, it seems to always creep to a halt around the greens. That's when 90% of golfers still defer to whoever is furthest out. Really slows down the round.

Taylormade SIM Max  – 10.5°
Taylormade M4  – 16.5°
Titleist 818H1 - 22.5°
Titleist AP1 718 – 4-P
Titleist AP1 718 – 48°
Cleveland CBX – 54°
Taylormade EF – 60° 
Ping Vault 2.0 Craz-E H   

Interesting thread. In my world 'ready golf' generally means no honours on the tee, but in general the furthest from the hole hits first unless they are not ready - but we still call out that we are going ahead of them.

We don't play much ready golf. Our course typically plays in around 3:45 with everyone walking, our group would plays faster than most so there is no need or benefit to do things to play faster as we can only play as fast as the group ahead.

• Thanks 1