2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Monte's new No Turn - Cast

Hawkeye77

I haven't been able to work on the drills since last week when I commented on I hit it real fat. I played 18 Saturday and I think I saw some overall improvement but nothing major.  Yesterday I played a quick 9 before the rain that's part of Sally hits this area. I warmed up on the first tee using my Orange Whip and did Cast A and B with it. The weight of the whip really helped with the feelings, especially cast B. First drive was a strong draw about 238, I'm short and consider 220 to be good. On a par 5 into the wind I hit my 4w off the deck from the rough and it was another strong draw that went 218 yards. I checked the club face and saw a grass mark at the sweet spot. I even hit a 5i pure and it went 170 yards instead of the 150ish I would expect. It was night and day from Saturday.

I really felt myself doing cast B and the results were very good for the state of my game as a 25 index. My driver became a draw and not a fade. My woods were draws as well and I got that higher ball flight that all of you good players probably see. Not the one that would look like throwing a baseball. The ball climbs some and drops at the end.

I still have some issues and it's a work in progress but I think using the Orange Whip is going to help me with some of the feels for NTC. It did feel foreign on the first tee when I automatically did cast B and felt myself really going through the ball. It's hard to explain since it's a feel, lol.

Awesome video and I'm liking what I am seeing after just a little work with it.

• Like 2

Well after over three weeks working on this, the improvement to my ball striking is still holding up. The biggest improvement by far is with the driver. My vicious slice has been laid to rest although at times I still get too much left to right spin on the ball and although it finds the fairway it bounces of at 90 deg into the rough. A lot of drives are finding the fairway now though. I just played to my hcp(24) for the first time in 18 months and my game off the tee was a big factor. I,m not a big hitter by any means but I put a couple out there to 234 down the middle.  Not massive I know but I can play golf from there, and Just to have confidence to get the big stick out has got me enjoying the game again. Hitting woods and hybrids well too. Irons are a bit more hit and miss with some really well struck and others feeling  a bit clunky. My swing is far from perfect though, especially the follow through as I don’t extend my arms enough and finish very cramped.
As for the drill itself I find myself only thinking about cast A and then turning through the shot. I haven’t filmed my swing since doing this so this is all based on feel but for me it’s crucial that I don’t get too aggressive with cast A as this sets of a disastrous chain of events usually resulting in me turning the club over the top of the ball. Once my arms are at 8 I need to feel just a gentle casting towards 8. It’s like I am just starting to become aware of the weight of the club head as I am starting to turn and sometimes it all just falls into place with some of the best contacts I’ve ever had. 

• Like 1

bought this as I have been using the no swing back swing for some time now, interesting to see that the transistion/downswing is very similar to what Mike M. and Jake Hutt are trying to explain. It's the method I've been working towards most of the year and it's nice to see Monte explain it with a different view point to the other two guys.

On 8/31/2020 at 6:53 AM, bortass said:

I watched through the entire video Friday. Monte tells one of the students something along the lines of 'see how your irons are lower".   Has anyone noticed a change is ball flight?

I haven't worked on NTC yet but was having a rough round Saturday and decided I had nothing to lose and did my best to try to cast like Monte explains. I tend to hit my irons high. I hit a low draw over the green with my 7i, 157 yards, with my first attempt. My 7i is my 135-140 club normally. A few holes later I hit another 7i that's a touch higher and it goes 154 and lands on the back of the green with a front pin...  I'm wondering if the ball flight I'm seeing at times is more 'normal'. 

That sounds like proper contact compression vs a little flip action causing high short ball. I know it all too well with irons

On 9/2/2020 at 5:29 PM, games said:

What would happen if you simply didn't try to time the rotation?  Just stay facing backward, until the hands pull you around?

I haven't purchased the new NTC video, YET. From what everyone is talking about, all of these happen naturally when I remember to keep my shoulder turn until I throw/swing/cast. It pulls you around and through without "trying" to turn or pivot. I think I must get into a fairly decent position going back and as long as I keep my back facing the target so to speak and don't rush giving myself time to shift it's a good flush shot. I have to use different reminders with driver, but similar. I'm gonna buy this video soon. I've been playing well, but want it on hand for next spring to hopefully speed up the coming out of hibernation period! 

On 9/3/2020 at 8:39 AM, MonteScheinblum said:

Coming from a man who had one of the great backswings for his body type.

”Backswing doesn’t matter,” is one of the most dangerous cliches of all.  It is true you can succeed from many different backswing positions, the problem is the overwhelming majority of golfers over the handicap of 5, aren’t performing one of them.

Monte,

This is a bit off topic, but being a baseball guy yourself (I'm a former college outfielder), I have a baseball/golf question for you. If you watch good hitters, they all have a "separation" with their hands from their body that happens when they shift their weight/stride and before they start a swing. In my mind I relate that to starting your shift a bit before you get to the top of your back swing. It seems like that "separation" happens naturally and people that have arm overrun start their shift to late. Does any of that make sense? If you start your shift late, instead of getting separation/width/depth, you get arm overrun and a way too long of a back swing. Since you start with your hands back in baseball it's like the last part of a golf swing (not taking different planes and spine angles into consideration of course). 

Update on what I am finding out:

Less is more. Trying to do too much too soon isn't the best course of action. In fact the opposite seems true. When I nail down that first piece (backswing into position and the right hip moving toward the target) the rest of it really falls into place with solid and consistent ballstriking. There are a couple of things to tighten up but if I drift on the right hip (moves to right) the rest is pretty much a folding lawn chair approach to hitting the ball.  Thoughts? 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* Tour AD HD 5X, Big Tour 15.5*, Rad Tour 18.5* Even Flow White 6.0

Titleist U500 4 23* Hzdrus Smoke Black 6.0 

Titleist 718 AP2 5-P DG AMT White S300 

Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S, DG S200

Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1, Vice Pro Plus, Foresight GC3 

I bought the video and it really has a lot of good information in it and simplifies the elements to build a good golf swing.  Got to go hit some wedges today and the results are promising.  Dispersion was reduced, ball flight was pretty consistent and contact was pretty good and hopefully will improve as I practice more.  Monte, if you are reading this, please correct me if I'm mistaken.  In reality, is the clockface actually on a tilted angle instead of purely horizontal?  In other words the movement from 7 to 8 in the backswing occurs on the same plane as the shoulders instead of being a horizontal one?  Seems to me if it was horizontal it would  make the shoulder turn too flat.  What helped was really being intentional about moving  from 7 to 8 and then being deliberate in delaying the turn and focusing on the cast and flexion of the lead wrist. 

2016 Taylormade M2 9.5* w/Fujikura Pro 60 stiff
Titleist 917 F3 Mitsubishi Diamana D+ 80 stiff
Callaway RazrX Tour stock shaft stiff/Mizuno MP-30 2 iron with Rifle 6.0 shaft
Bridgestone J 40DPC w/Aerotech Steelfibers 95 r
50* Bridgestone J 15 wedges with Nippon Pro Modus3 125, 54*,58* Titleist Vokey wedges
Odessey White Hot #5

I'll be trying the NTC today on the range for the first time after a few days doing dry drills in the house. Just bringing my 7i... going to work on it in steps just like the students did where I back swing, pause, cast, then go for a hit. Going to be tough to not focus on result and to focus on the process, so to help encourage this I will be bringing my tripod and recording my swings, so I can see I'm actually doing it correctly.

Are we allowed to post these swing vids here? Don't want to clog up the thread if it's not allowed.

7 hours ago, Z1ggy16 said:

I'll be trying the NTC today on the range for the first time after a few days doing dry drills in the house. Just bringing my 7i... going to work on it in steps just like the students did where I back swing, pause, cast, then go for a hit. Going to be tough to not focus on result and to focus on the process, so to help encourage this I will be bringing my tripod and recording my swings, so I can see I'm actually doing it correctly.

Are we allowed to post these swing vids here? Don't want to clog up the thread if it's not allowed.

Sure! Probably help you and some others as well if Monte chimes in!

Really good Q&A on Instagram just finished up a little bit ago.  Monte came back on after the Instagram hour limit to answer questions not covered in the first hour. 

The discounted price on the video is still good through Sunday, full price after! 

Would be a great weekend to watch it --- turn on U.S. Open, turn off talking heads, watch No Turn Cast and occasionally look to see if you can sort of pick out what pretty much all those guys are doing and start to imagine yourself doing it.  LOL, I'll be reviewing it and some related stuff from Efficient Swing while I'm having coffee, then breakfast, then more coffee tomorrow morning before heading to the range/course - should be a super day of golf for September!

• Like 1

I watched the videos once on Thursday. Went to the range to try it out and the first cast feels impossible (ulner  deviation with left wrist supination). Maybe because I’m naturally left handed and play from the right side. It feels very uncomfortable and it seems to slow down my club head. 

My bag

driver Callaway Paradym 12deg with LA Golf Bryson sig series 55 S shaft

5 wood TM stealth

7 wood Callaway Paradym 

5-9 iron PXG series 5 0311P KBS stiff 120

wedge Vokey 46 SM8

GW Vokey 51 SM8

56 deg and 60 deg PXG 13 deg

putter SC Phantom 5.5

I bought NTC when it was released, spent some time watching and digesting before putting it into play. 

I hadn't played golf with my wife since putting it into play until last week when we went on a golf holiday. A few days into the trip she asks what I'm doing difference as my ball flight has changed and my swing "seems" different.

I told her I was just putting into practice Monte's newest video, to which she got angry that I had purchased a new monte video and not told her.......... because she is a fan of Monte's work also and I'm cheating by watching it and not giving her access to the same info. sigh.

Golfing spouse problems. 

• Haha 4

Question. How does the No Turn Cast Drill work with the Planemate? How does it work with the Power Package? Is compatible with those two products?

In the past I had used Monte’s original No Turn Cast Drill via his old YouTube video in the fog.  When doing it, I didn’t try to cast my right hand (trail). I always tried to you cast with my lead hand (left hand) and I had some success (I’m right handed playing as a right handed). That stated, I struggled getting out of bunkers without using my right side so I made a switch to Planemate/Power Package concepts.  

Edited by Cwing

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

11 hours ago, Hawkeye77 said:

Sure! Probably help you and some others as well if Monte chimes in!

Okay cool. Here is me sucking up the ego and just doing some little chip shots, trying to feel the club shallow. Basically did what Monte had most students doing, which was back swing, cast, then rotate into ball. Am I doing it right?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cwing said:

Question. How does the No Turn Cast Drill work with the Planemate? How does it work with the Power Package? If I s those two products compatible and I’m current,y using them.

In the past I had used Monte’s original No Turn Cast Drill via his old YouTube video in the fog.  When doing it, I didn’t try to cast my right hand (trail). I always tried to you cast with my lead hand (left hand) and I had some success (I’m right handed playing as a right handed). That stated, I struggled getting out of bunkers without using my right side so I made a switch to Planemate/Power Package concepts.  

Just my observation but the planemate I felt like was only good for shorter shots. The whole "active release" that Monte goes through (Cast #2 I think?) would cause the plane mate band to hit bottom arm/hand, which... Martin says it shouldn't. PM though is good for feeling if/when you ever yank down a lot because the band will lose tension. Personally... I sold mine.

7 minutes ago, Z1ggy16 said:

Okay cool. Here is me sucking up the ego and just doing some little chip shots, trying to feel the club shallow. Basically did what Monte had most students doing, which was back swing, cast, then rotate into ball. Am I doing it right?

It's about 6 a.m. on the coast, but hoping @MonteScheinblum will weigh in when he's up! 

Edited by Hawkeye77

46 minutes ago, Z1ggy16 said:

Idea is Good   If you are going to do short swings then should do as a stop drill too.   What you are doing runs the risk of ingraining a flat shaft backswing - better to take it back to arm parallel, stop, then do cast or make it a real swing motion but slower etc - wiggling the club around is a good way to train the brain to wiggly the club around, so to speak.  Monte has an Instagram on this where he says thumbs up the thumbs back - Can be done as in video or as freezer and focus on the unhinge/flex in the thumbs back - stands the club up first before shallowing like your oldPM.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

"for I think a law that is not just, is not actually a law" ("nam mihi lex esse non videtur, quae justa non fuerit")  Saint Augustine of Hippo

#Kwonified

13 hours ago, Hawkeye77 said:

Really good Q&A on Instagram just finished up a little bit ago.  Monte came back on after the Instagram hour limit to answer questions not covered in the first hour. 

The discounted price on the video is still good through Sunday, full price after! 

Would be a great weekend to watch it --- turn on U.S. Open, turn off talking heads, watch No Turn Cast and occasionally look to see if you can sort of pick out what pretty much all those guys are doing and start to imagine yourself doing it.  LOL, I'll be reviewing it and some related stuff from Efficient Swing while I'm having coffee, then breakfast, then more coffee tomorrow morning before heading to the range/course - should be a super day of golf for September!

The 90 minutes of Monte answering questions last night was awesome. I highly recommend folks that have bought the video to take a look. Really helped explain some concepts that I didn't fully get (and weren't doing quite right). Great questions (for the most part outside of the "i hit it great for 2 weeks and I just hit a bad bucket, should I quit?"). I highly recommend anyone who hasn't bought the video to buy it, practice for a week or two, and then watch the 90 minute IG. Really great compliment to the video.

4 hours ago, Cwing said:

Question. How does the No Turn Cast Drill work with the Planemate? How does it work with the Power Package? If I s those two products compatible and I’m current,y using them.

Martin Chuck's got a Tour Striker promo ad for the Smart Ball on my Facebook.  It's really just him swinging.  As I watch, all I can think is that his fluid swing using a smart ball looks like NTC brought to life in a full swing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, glk said:

Idea is Good   If you are going to do short swings then should do as a stop drill too.   What you are doing runs the risk of ingraining a flat shaft backswing - better to take it back to arm parallel, stop, then do cast or make it a real swing motion but slower etc - wiggling the club around is a good way to train the brain to wiggly the club around, so to speak.  Monte has an Instagram on this where he says thumbs up the thumbs back - Can be done as in video or as freezer and focus on the unhinge/flex in the thumbs back - stands the club up first before shallowing like your oldPM.

Yeah for years and years I was in a habit of a flat back swing and steep downswing... doing the opposite (vertical BS, flat DS) is very hard for me to do, so I will definitely dial the speed back even further. Might even switch to foam balls in the yard outside so that I don't even regard distance or shot result as an outcome.

Still need to watch the IG Live. How long does the recording stay up?

10 minutes ago, Z1ggy16 said:

Yeah for years and years I was in a habit of a flat back swing and steep downswing... doing the opposite (vertical BS, flat DS) is very hard for me to do, so I will definitely dial the speed back even further. Might even switch to foam balls in the yard outside so that I don't even regard distance or shot result as an outcome.

Still need to watch the IG Live. How long does the recording stay up?

Forever.  Lol.   Two of them since an hour was not enough.  

Edited by glk

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

"for I think a law that is not just, is not actually a law" ("nam mihi lex esse non videtur, quae justa non fuerit")  Saint Augustine of Hippo

#Kwonified

2 hours ago, games said:

Martin Chuck's got a Tour Striker promo ad for the Smart Ball on my Facebook.  It's really just him swinging.  As I watch, all I can think is that his fluid swing using a smart ball looks like NTC brought to life in a full swing.

Watching Martin make little wedge swings is mesmerizing!

• Like 1

After buying the NTC and and working on it at the range for a number of weeks and a few attempts on the course, I've come to the conclusion that the Efficient Swing video just seems to "click" better for me. It very well may be that there's something I'm doing wrong, or not understanding properly with the NTC. After putting some of the concepts from the ES video into play, my ballstriking was noticeably better, especially with irons. My regular playing partner remarked how well I was hitting the ball and for me the swing thoughts were very simple. The NTC just hasn't seemed to work in comparison, and that's OK - they're both valuable videos that are well worth the cost, and it just so happens that one thing clicked better for me than the other.

Bought the video yesterday mostly to support Monte as I really love his engagement, involvement, and willingness to answer questions.

Went out to the range before finishing the series and was STRIKING the driver focusing on the BS and first cast.  

Today's round was a different story.  I likely just hit too many balls yesterday, and mentally had trouble committing to something new - but couldn't quite feel the rhythm.  Several horrendous snap hooks  with the driver (which unfortunately is the miss I've been working to solve).

That said, certainly a better feel at impact whenI got it right as I felt like I was finally getting more ulnar deviation and turning through.  

Overall, extremely positive early results.  Excited to get deeper into it.

SIM2 Graphite Design Ventus TR 60X

PXG Gen 3, Project X

Epic 3w/5w/4h - Tour AD-DI

Wedgeworks SM8 55D / 60T

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

15 hours ago, MysteryV said:

Bought the video yesterday mostly to support Monte as I really love his engagement, involvement, and willingness to answer questions.

Went out to the range before finishing the series and was STRIKING the driver focusing on the BS and first cast.  

Today's round was a different story.  I likely just hit too many balls yesterday, and mentally had trouble committing to something new - but couldn't quite feel the rhythm.  Several horrendous snap hooks  with the driver (which unfortunately is the miss I've been working to solve).

That said, certainly a better feel at impact whenI got it right as I felt like I was finally getting more ulnar deviation and turning through.  

Overall, extremely positive early results.  Excited to get deeper into it.

Change on course vs practice or range is huge. I could look at the hole while puttI got on the practice green all day long and putt very very well. It took a very long time to transfer that to the course. I’m currently working on the pencil putting grip. Easy in practice green, no so much on the course.

I may pick it up just to support Monte. I have several of his videos and I have had direct contact with Monte via this site. I want to support him but I’m currently all in on the power package and planemate and I don’t want to confuse myself.

Edited by Cwing

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

For those that didn't pick up on it, Monte released a free video related to grip and stance fundamentals that is now up on the Rebellion Golf site.  The above video is good, and the concept of "soft" elbows is a nugget within the video. 

@MonteScheinblum  Your IG discussions addressed ball flight changes students have seen using NTC.  I've always wondered when making a swing change if it makes sense to adjust lengths and lies for the "swing you want" and not the "swing you have."    Would getting a "training club" or two with flatter lies and shorter lengths reduce the learning curve?

Edited by games
  • Thanks 1

Friday night featured a reference to this little nugget which is I found be worthwhile of including for discussion on the No Turn Transition piece. 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* Tour AD HD 5X, Big Tour 15.5*, Rad Tour 18.5* Even Flow White 6.0

Titleist U500 4 23* Hzdrus Smoke Black 6.0 

Titleist 718 AP2 5-P DG AMT White S300 

Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S, DG S200

Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1, Vice Pro Plus, Foresight GC3 

2 hours ago, games said:

For those that didn't pick up on it, Monte released a free video related to grip and stance fundamentals that is now up on the Rebellion Golf site.  The above video is good, and the concept of "soft" elbows is a nugget within the video. 

@MonteScheinblum  Your IG discussions addressed ball flight changes students have seen using NTC.  I've always wondered when making a swing change if it makes sense to adjust lengths and lies for the "swing you want" and not the "swing you have."    Would getting a "training club" or two with flatter lies and shorter lengths reduce the learning curve?

Interesting question.....I’d think that would be individual to what you’re fighting.

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL