2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Monte's new No Turn - Cast

Hawkeye77

I've been working on the NTC since it's release.

Yesterday I took the NTC action into my county championship betterball stableford. 

My partner and I had 44 points after the first 18 holes and were sitting in first place. Sadly the afternoon's round was not so hot and we limped in with 35 points.  (Yes that is 3 blobs on a betterball card) 

However I didn't hit any horrendous shots and played very solidly. SO happy with the improvement to my trajectory and distance control NTC has provided me. It may not have held together for a 36 hole single day competition however after only a few weeks of work I super excited about the long term results developing.   

Quick question for Monte. Early extension has always been a bane of my swing. I've been working on some drills of yours (butt back on the wall, foam roller in front of knee) and some of Dan's (swiss ball on the wall). For me with feel vs real, I have to feel like I trigger the entire downswing, after re-centering, by just thrusting the lead hip back as far backwards as I can, Sorta like this Tiger exaggeration. On video, nothing else has worked to get the lead hip back to the line. If have any thought with the hands/arms, I lose my hip depth. Short iron game has been better than ever with this, but long irons and woods suffer more over the top.

After watching your Q/A session from Friday evening, you mentioned that the first feeling is to get cast A done with the wrists and trail elbow (if I understood correctly), and then let the body/hips react. Since it's impossible to work on both at the same time, which would you suggest I work on first as an order of operations? 

No question here, just a comment. Bought the NTC video last week but didn’t get a chance to use it until this morning when I did some work into the net. Ive always struggled with the steep downswing and cupped wrist. The video of my swing looked much better this morning after only 5-10 reps (We’ll see how long it takes for me to improve when a target is involved)

But I will say the most striking thing to me was how my balance improved. I generally can’t hold my follow through without falling over unless I really focus on it. Today’s swings were perfectly balanced without even trying. Not sure exactly which change produced that result but i’ll certainly take it without asking too many questions!

Edited by mjedwards409

I'm having trouble regaining flex in my left knee - its causing a wonderful pull left because it is moving the path out to in with my whole body following.  I figured I would try to keep my back to the target longer like mentioned in the video - the start of the swing looks great, but it finishes with a chicken wing and no lower body rotation.  Golf is hard, I will film my swing again and send it in to you Monte.

It's finally starting to click! I was missing video 6 and 7. After making a conscious effort to do that I was hitting it very crisp and my driver had a very slight baby fade towards the target. I'm so excited that I'm heading to the range again in an hour to ensure it wasn't a fluke.

Ping K15 driver
Ping G10 3, 4, 5 hybrids
Ping G15 irons
Cameron Newport, Ping Anser 3
Titleist Vokey 50* 54* wedges

After just one range session, in fact the first ten balls I hit, the first thing I noticed was a higher club speed. Sound was different, trajectory was higher and distance slightly increased. Club head feels as if it is releasing hard towards 12:00. This is also with a slower, more deliberate swing. Granted, I was slightly teeing up the ball as I normally do when first implementing drills. Video shows a slight shallowing of shaft, although I think I’m probably doing Cast A at 6:30 or 7:00 at best, yet. Going to focus hard on doing it at 8:00 tomorrow. 

I have rarely had positive, immediate results with swing changes. But this may be the exception. Really need to focus on the no turn transition portion, as this is where I really steepen the shaft. After one day, I am pleased so far. 

Edited by seth514

TM Stealth 10.5* -- Speeder Evo VII 569s

TM Stealth 16.5* -- GD AD-IZ 6s

Titleist T200 4 -- Accra 200H M4

Titleist T100S 5-GW -- Modus 120

TM MG3 52*, 56*TW, 60*TW -- KBS HiRev

Sik Jo C -- KBS CT Tour

11 hours ago, Simpsonia said:

Quick question for Monte. Early extension has always been a bane of my swing. I've been working on some drills of yours (butt back on the wall, foam roller in front of knee) and some of Dan's (swiss ball on the wall). For me with feel vs real, I have to feel like I trigger the entire downswing, after re-centering, by just thrusting the lead hip back as far backwards as I can, Sorta like this Tiger exaggeration. On video, nothing else has worked to get the lead hip back to the line. If have any thought with the hands/arms, I lose my hip depth. Short iron game has been better than ever with this, but long irons and woods suffer more over the top.

After watching your Q/A session from Friday evening, you mentioned that the first feeling is to get cast A done with the wrists and trail elbow (if I understood correctly), and then let the body/hips react. Since it's impossible to work on both at the same time, which would you suggest I work on first as an order of operations? 

For early extension, this Malaska Video was very interesting and useful - the drill and feel and intent may help you

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"You must lash out with every limb, like the octopus who plays the drums." p. 134

7 hours ago, flipmode said:

It's finally starting to click! I was missing video 6 and 7. After making a conscious effort to do that I was hitting it very crisp and my driver had a very slight baby fade towards the target. I'm so excited that I'm heading to the range again in an hour to ensure it wasn't a fluke.

Range session was a disaster with the driver. Either low short bullets or high right slices. Irons were somewhat decent. Only 2 weeks into this so I'm still pretty excited to get better results. Honestly, I think it was fatigue from 2 range sessions in a row. 

Ping K15 driver
Ping G10 3, 4, 5 hybrids
Ping G15 irons

53 minutes ago, flipmode said:

Range session was a disaster with the driver. Either low short bullets or high right slices. Irons were somewhat decent. Only 2 weeks into this so I'm still pretty excited to get better results. Honestly, I think it was fatigue from 2 range sessions in a row. 

2 weeks in an you're on driver? I've been doing it since release and the only time I hit driver is on the course. All my range time is 7 iron or wedge.

• Like 2

On 9/20/2020 at 11:11 AM, MonteScheinblum said:

Interesting question.....I’d think that would be individual to what you’re fighting.

Thanks, Monte.  I'm trying to ingrain steeper AoA to effectively take divots.  I'm having success standing closer to the ball, which requires you to "soften the elbows!"  Again, a good little nugget in the free video, and great work on bringing NTC out as a swing framework!

On 9/20/2020 at 9:51 AM, games said:

For those that didn't pick up on it, Monte released a free video related to grip and stance fundamentals that is now up on the Rebellion Golf site.  The above video is good, and the concept of "soft" elbows is a nugget within the video. 

@MonteScheinblum  Your IG discussions addressed ball flight changes students have seen using NTC.  I've always wondered when making a swing change if it makes sense to adjust lengths and lies for the "swing you want" and not the "swing you have."    Would getting a "training club" or two with flatter lies and shorter lengths reduce the learning curve?

For me, I adjusted my lie angles after making a big change to my swing. I had gotten to the point where my natural flight was a draw and not an instaslice. This took years of lessons and towards the end of that period, I had my irons flattened and never looked back. I think this is an individual thing though. I would caution about making a change to clubs based on what you think you want versus what you have. Mainly because what if you change your mind or what you thought was a good target set of specs isn't. YMMV of course.

50 minutes ago, bortass said:

For me, I adjusted my lie angles after making a big change to my swing. I had gotten to the point where my natural flight was a draw and not an instaslice. This took years of lessons and towards the end of that period, I had my irons flattened and never looked back. I think this is an individual thing though. I would caution about making a change to clubs based on what you think you want versus what you have. Mainly because what if you change your mind or what you thought was a good target set of specs isn't. YMMV of course.

I work with another instructor, Jeremy Anderson @jjagolf

Jeremy believes modern lengths (too long) and lies (too upright) inhibit the learning process. 

Which reminds me that I have a SW and LW bent  1 flat. which I bought used after the last time I saw him.

On 9/20/2020 at 8:51 AM, games said:

For those that didn't pick up on it, Monte released a free video related to grip and stance fundamentals that is now up on the Rebellion Golf site.  The above video is good, and the concept of "soft" elbows is a nugget within the video. 

@MonteScheinblum  Your IG discussions addressed ball flight changes students have seen using NTC.  I've always wondered when making a swing change if it makes sense to adjust lengths and lies for the "swing you want" and not the "swing you have."    Would getting a "training club" or two with flatter lies and shorter lengths reduce the learning curve?

i have tried to access this video. It says that it is not available through the subscription. Is anyone else getting this message? Thanks in advance 

Ping 425 Max 10.5//Tensei AV Orange 65g Xstiff

Ping 425 Max 5 Wood//Tensei AV Orange 75 g Xstiff

Ping i210 Irons (3-PW)//DG X100

Ping Glide 3.0 52//56//60

TaylorMade Spider X Copper 

12 minutes ago, BogeyBrian said:

i have tried to access this video. It says that it is not available through the subscription. Is anyone else getting this message? Thanks in advance 

I was able to add it to the cart for free.  You have to previously own the NTC series is my understanding.

Have Fun - Ready Golf - Repair Divots/Marks - FORE

10 minutes ago, Puttersaurus Rex said:

I was able to add it to the cart for free.  You have to previously own the NTC series is my understanding.

ok thanks! yea i do own ntc so i will try adding it to the cart

Ping 425 Max 10.5//Tensei AV Orange 65g Xstiff

Ping 425 Max 5 Wood//Tensei AV Orange 75 g Xstiff

Ping i210 Irons (3-PW)//DG X100

Ping Glide 3.0 52//56//60

TaylorMade Spider X Copper 

58 minutes ago, games said:

I work with another instructor, Jeremy Anderson @jjagolf

Jeremy believes modern lengths (too long) and lies (too upright) inhibit the learning process. 

Which reminds me that I have a SW and LW bent  1 flat. which I bought used after the last time I saw him.

I'm not surprised. My instructor and I probably had similar conversations about lie angles but it was close to 10 years ago, so I'm fuzzy on it. I do know that I had my irons bent after talking to him about it and we came to an agreement on what we thought they should be. It helps that my irons are forged, so it's not a big deal if they need to get bent one way or another.

30 minutes ago, BogeyBrian said:

There is a 1 hour 29 minute NTC IG video that showed up at the end of the free setup and grip video that Monte just put out a few days ago. I started watching it today after watching the setup/grip stuff which is probably 10 minutes or so long. 

Caught a quick 18 after work today. First round out using the NTC and only the second ever time trying it. Came in with a 58!!! Is that the NTC record so far? (Ok... so it was an executive course par 58, but hey, i’m a 10 hcp and usually shoot 6 or 7 over on this course) Had 4 straight birdies at one point on the back which i’ve never even had on a putt putt course.

Im super pumped to keep this going. I’m sure like with any swing change i’ll likely see some regression at some point, but I feel like this is the first “extreme feel” change i’ve found that will really attack this steep transition issue i’ve had for going on 15 years now. 

Great stuff Monte! Thanks!

Edited by mjedwards409
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

When Monte released NTC, I was already working on trying to consistently take divots.  When I first did NTC, the divots got more frequent, but then recessed and I got a few thins and tops thrown in the mix.

I just got done reading a separate thread about the motorcycle move.  (I know Monte used this term a couple of times in NTC but I simply can't find the reference in the videos.)  But, if you set up to an impact position, then do the MM with lead hand, the sole of the club comes ever so slightly off the ground.  Some on the other thread mentioned they were hitting thin with the MM.

After I saw thin shots return after a couple of NTC sessions, I just moved my stance closer to the ball.  It felt like a foot, but was probably a half inch.  But, this put my hands and club closer to the ball, and also aids the feel in the elbows Monte promotes in his new fundamentals video.

I'm waiting to see if my grip compensates by choking down or I do some other stupid move that causes the thins return, but so far, impact and the divots are more consistent, again.  Maybe moving closer to the ball will help some of you, too...

8 hours ago, mjedwards409 said:

Caught a quick 18 after work today. First round out using the NTC and only the second ever time trying it. Came in with a 58!!! Is that the NTC record so far? (Ok... so it was an executive course par 58, but hey, i’m a 10 hcp and usually shoot 6 or 7 over on this course) Had 4 straight birdies at one point on the back which i’ve never even had on a putt putt course.

Im super pumped to keep this going. I’m sure like with any swing change i’ll likely see some regression at some point, but I feel like this is the first “extreme feel” change i’ve found that will really attack this steep transition issue i’ve had for going on 15 years now. 

Great stuff Monte! Thanks!

Congratulations!  NTC is a video that is going to help a lot of us who, for whatever reason, were "doing it wrong" for years.

Played a couple times last week, and there was noticeable short game improvement.  More work is needed with the woods and NTC.

On a different note, the set-up and grip videos introduced a couple small tweaks that are going well.  Just crazy how a few small changes of grip and stance can be positive or detrimental to a swing.

• Like 1

Have Fun - Ready Golf - Repair Divots/Marks - FORE

Have to do a little NTC brag.  Played yesterday, opening hole 500 yd par 5, always into the wind and a little across.  No warm up.  Massive fairway so no stress in hitting it as long as you do not go full dummy and duckhook left.  I just step up and only thinking get to 8:00 and cast...bam!  down the middle long.  It's windy, so still have 245 into green.  While before I have come close to the green, never hit in two, with the wind it is just out of reach, plus I usually do not warm up, so I am still finding my swing.  Not yesterday!...bam, NTC move smashes a laser cutting through the wind and I end up way back of the green which was an awesome feel, but rats it's a front pin!  Nasty downhill two putt in for birdie and away we go!

Three things I really like about this move on the course:

1. gets me out of a pivot mindset which is just so hard to control when playing

2. on windy days, the low trajectory shot is just simply get to 8:00 with less arm raise, but everything else the same and be aggressive through the ball.  I love this on two club wind shots where my opponents are hitting it high and watching the wind eat their spinny ball alive and I just aggressively fire at the pin with the two extra clubs but keep the trajectory low.

3. The 60-100 range is so much fun.  The NTC move allows aggressive downswing the right way and making it much easier to control distance and spin.

Golf has been a lot more fun the last month.  No exaggeration, I have shaved 5 - 6 shots off my game (trending to 4 index now) just from more legitimate birdie opportunities, never worrying about losing it right, and just making sure I do not overdo it getting all pumped up with leads to too much left.  I am not even swinging hard and picked up a few yards.

I am thinking 2021 is going to be the year of getting to scratch, staying there, and quite profitable on the course.

Thanks Monte!

• Like 2

So, how is Monte’s new video different than his YouTube video on the subject and his material in his other videos?

I’ve done the original NTC with some success but many on here appear to be making claims of major improvement in just a few swings.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

First week and half after watching the video I was hitting the best shots of my life, had makeable birdie putts on most holes.  Now I'm fighting a push or snap hook on every shot and have no idea where my ball is going.  I think I'm coming way inside to out but not sure why.  Any idea what I could be doing wrong?

2 hours ago, Cwing said:

So, how is Monte’s new video different than his YouTube video on the subject and his material in his other videos?

I’ve done the original NTC with some success but many on here appear to be making claims of major improvement in just a few swings.

I never watched the original but the new one seems very good to me. He explains the various moves and it’s so simple conceptually. Reality is different. The ideas are simple but it’s not easy to implement with years of old swing to overcome.

i have already seen good results after two range sessions but I also suck. I have plenty of room to improve and it will take me quite a while for it to be natural. That is when I’ll be getting the most out of the change.

The IG Q&A is very good too but I am only part way through. Monte does talk about how the amount of time people think a change will take is inversely proportional to their skill level. So a tour player will take a few years To get the results they want. A 25 like me expects a change after a small bucket...?

Edited by bortass

On 9/22/2020 at 1:05 AM, Jedaigeki said:

2 weeks in an you're on driver? I've been doing it since release and the only time I hit driver is on the course. All my range time is 7 iron or wedge.

Most of my practice time is on 8 iron and wedge but I want to know what to expect on the course with my fw and driver. So what do you do with the driver on the course? Go back to your "old" swing? 

• Like 1

Ping K15 driver
Ping G10 3, 4, 5 hybrids
Ping G15 irons