Monte's new No Turn - Cast

Hawkeye77

20 minutes ago, flipmode said:

Most of my practice time is on 8 iron and wedge but I want to know what to expect on the course with my fw and driver. So what do you do with the driver on the course? Go back to your "old" swing? 

I just swing the driver/FW with the casts as best I can. I think I find it easier to do the casts with driver/FW as well. Not sure why that is but I have had some really solid 4 and 7w shots from the deck since i started to work on this using my 7i.

Been almost a month and its really helped out on my short irons but having a little trouble with irons 4-6. 

Its a low draw most of the time but no where near what I am accomplishing with the short irons. Is anyone struggling with the same issue? Any tips?

10 minutes ago, pusb365 said:

Apologies if this has already been asked, I haven't had chance to read through the whole thread yet. 

Is this video useful for someone who gets a bit stuck under, with a pivot stall who hits blocks and hooks? 

Or is it more aimed at people with an over the top move who hit a slice? 

Thanks. 

The original video was aimed at those who overswing the arms on the backswing and handle drag on the downswing

I think the nature of the video is that it's not aimed at addressing a specific problem but is aimed at providing the golfer with an overall swing approach

So the answer is both

Monte,

@MonteScheinblumSorry to impose upon this thread, but the GolfWrx messaging system said you cannot receive private messages.

I bought the new No Cast turn video (as well as some previous others) about a week ago.  I am now migrating my email from my DSL vendor to GMail because of problems.  However, on the Rebellion website, I cannot find how to access my account information nor change my email/login address.  Nor is there a contact link.  So I am stuck logging in with old email address.  It there an easy way to change login IDs / email addresses on Rebellion website.  Of course I wouldnt get new product announcements either! ?

Thanks!

On 8/23/2020 at 7:02 AM, Hawkeye77 said:

What may be a glitch or just something in the works is I'm not seeing a sponsors list on the latest version of the site, but have no doubt Monte is still with us as a sponsor and contributing!

There is a lengthy thread on this original drill, but Monte now goes way beyond that.

Monte's Rebellion Golf just released another Monte video and it is dedicated to his latest teachings with this concept.  If you've followed it for years from cargo shorts, to part of his series, to the latest evolution of the idea, you'll notice it truly has evolved and is a pretty interesting way of looking at the golf swing.  If simply pivot, pivot, pivot, actively turn those hips and core to drive the swing, ever caused you tears and frustration, maybe see what happens if your body "reacts".  Movements look the same, but maybe this is a better way of conceptualizing for many, it is different. I still remember being on a range on Sioux Falls a couple years ago and Monte saying, "let's try something, I'm not really teaching it yet" and the vids I have of him demonstrating a little drill and me utilizing it, and it made a difference for me in understanding what my wrists should be doing, which was further refined in Chicago a year ago, and now I see it all sort of brought together - it's nice to see instructors that are curious, keep learning and have original thoughts, and are interested in simply making folks get better and not stuck in some box about how the swing always must work.

Probably like a lot of other things related to the golf swing - if it speaks to you that's what matters, and maybe it won't speak to everyone, but I'm impressed with how much real info and insight there is in a package that seems simple.  There's a lot going on in this, but Monte shows he continues to be a very effective communicator.  

So glad you posted this. Ironically, I had reached out to Monte last week, thinking maybe take a lesson, but i am probably gonna wait until he's outside again. I'm still trying to limit indoors exchanges with ppl.  I had recently been influenced by Mike Malaska and his emphasis on arm swing > pivot for speed. Which resonated with what Monte has said before and says again in this video.  I saw immediate big speed improvement from Malaska, but then I lost it.  I keep getting back into pivot focus. 

Then I saw this post, bought the video last night.  Filled in so many blanks, clarified a bunch of questions on my mind.  I didn't have much chance to work on it today, but will tomorrow. I think this can help solve why I revert back to pivot focus...which seems so valid, yet keeps me stuck in pizz poor swing speed.

Monte had told me about this wrist action from the top maybe 18 months ago but I didn't quite retain the left wrist action as well as the video explains.  I had just slowly, vaguely stumbled this idea but not as completely as Monte explains it via trial and error.  I can at least imagine how it works now.  Super excited, because I think inside this idea is the key to about 10 mph clubhead speed, major stuff for me.  

Anyway, @hawkeye77, I am really glad you posted this! 

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

9 hours ago, mhudson111 said:

Monte,

@MonteScheinblumSorry to impose upon this thread, but the GolfWrx messaging system said you cannot receive private messages.

I bought the new No Cast turn video (as well as some previous others) about a week ago.  I am now migrating my email from my DSL vendor to GMail because of problems.  However, on the Rebellion website, I cannot find how to access my account information nor change my email/login address.  Nor is there a contact link.  So I am stuck logging in with old email address.  It there an easy way to change login IDs / email addresses on Rebellion website.  Of course I wouldnt get new product announcements either! ?

Thanks!

Try this:

https://video.rebelliongolf.com/dashboard

The girlfriend just rolled her eyes at this, so I figured you guys might find it more interesting: I've been doing the basic NTC moves pretty much every day to ingrain the feelings, but don't like pulling out a club and potentially breaking something in my house (been there before).

With winter approaching, the mini club was born! I took an old wedge and chopped it down to maybe 20 inches. Slapped on a grip (it took quite a bit of build up tape). Voila, quick and easy access to a real-ish feeling club to practice my wrist motions.

I'll probably epoxy on some weights to the clubhead to try to get a more realistic swingweight sensation.

20200925_172044.jpg

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5 deg.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 3L

Srixon ZX 3 hybrid

Ping S55 irons

Ping Glide 3.0 54 & 60 deg.

Odyssey White Hot Versa #1

22 hours ago, mhudson111 said:

Monte,

Thanks!

If you’re still having issues, emial

[email protected]

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

I'm an idiot.  (Let's start there.)  I've got a good backswing, so I never paid attention to the first part of NTC.  Until yesterday, when I decided to watch it.  I noted the prescribed wrist position, and reminded myself to "check it at the range."

After warmup, I hit a full swing GW, making sure I maintained proper wrist position at P3.

I swing, a divot flies (because I take divots now), but I feel nothing, and the ball isn't in my "normal" field of view for GW trajectory.  Seriously thought I whiffed...

I look higher in the sky (much higher) and I spot the ball.  Now, I'm thinking "You got under it."   Except the ball is carrying, too!  My typical GW carries 110, but it's been trending toward 115 with NTC.  The pin was lasered at 125 yards.  The ball lands next to the pin, and rolls over the green.  I felt like dropping the club and walking off!  LOL.

I worked through the bag, and when struck well, I made similar shots across all irons.  To me, my 8-iron looked like a moon ball but the distance didn't lie.  It's not consistent yet, and it wasn't all good (driver was a hot mess).  But, struck well, the irons were definitely higher and longer, all from this basic adjustment in wrist position.  I'm going to ingrain this, then get new clubs or reshaft.  The apex of the wedges and short irons was really high.  Much higher than the peaks in the long irons.  May have to go with something flighted or ascending weight / mass if this keeps up.  Stinks to get old, but fun to improve!

On 9/24/2020 at 11:10 PM, wmblake2000 said:

So glad you posted this. Ironically, I had reached out to Monte last week, thinking maybe take a lesson, but i am probably gonna wait until he's outside again. I'm still trying to limit indoors exchanges with ppl.  I had recently been influenced by Mike Malaska and his emphasis on arm swing > pivot for speed. Which resonated with what Monte has said before and says again in this video.  I saw immediate big speed improvement from Malaska, but then I lost it.  I keep getting back into pivot focus. 

Then I saw this post, bought the video last night.  Filled in so many blanks, clarified a bunch of questions on my mind.  I didn't have much chance to work on it today, but will tomorrow. I think this can help solve why I revert back to pivot focus...which seems so valid, yet keeps me stuck in pizz poor swing speed.

Monte had told me about this wrist action from the top maybe 18 months ago but I didn't quite retain the left wrist action as well as the video explains.  I had just slowly, vaguely stumbled this idea but not as completely as Monte explains it via trial and error.  I can at least imagine how it works now.  Super excited, because I think inside this idea is the key to about 10 mph clubhead speed, major stuff for me.  

Anyway, @hawkeye77, I am really glad you posted this! 

Practice for a week or two and then watch the IG Live of Monte. 90 minutes of answering questions for NTC. Found it super helpful to clarify some of the concepts I was struggling with. I think it is great to go on your own, and then take a watch - some really good questions asked by folks.

• Like 1

Lots of focus on cast motion but critical is the shift - get this part right and you can rotate as hard as you want.  Shift, rotate,shift,rotate.

• Like 3

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

21 hours ago, dcl5dcl5 said:

Practice for a week or two and then watch the IG Live of Monte. 90 minutes of answering questions for NTC. Found it super helpful to clarify some of the concepts I was struggling with. I think it is great to go on your own, and then take a watch - some really good questions asked by folks.

Oh great... I don't get in IG often, will check this out.  I am also gonna resume some lessons with Monte.  Always found him to be helpful, fun, interesting.

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

3 hours ago, wmblake2000 said:

Oh great... I don't get in IG often, will check this out.  I am also gonna resume some lessons with Monte.  Always found him to be helpful, fun, interesting.

The 90-minute Instagram Q&A is at the end of the free Grip and Stance Fundamentals video at rebelliongolf.com.

• Like 2

I am new to NTC (bought the video earlier today). It looks like a pretty powerful and useful perspective on the golf swing (also unique, AFAIK).

I have a question. You start at address with a cupped wrist, get to the top with a flat  wrist, and then  bow the wrist getting to the ball. Why not get to the bowed wrist position at the top? Managing that 'manipulation' going back seems easier to me. And it also seems like it would simplify hitting pitch shots while using the NTC swing pattern. 

Thoughts or comments on that? 

dave

1 hour ago, DaveLeeNC said:

I am new to NTC (bought the video earlier today). It looks like a pretty powerful and useful perspective on the golf swing (also unique, AFAIK).

I have a question. You start at address with a cupped wrist, get to the top with a flat  wrist, and then  bow the wrist getting to the ball. Why not get to the bowed wrist position at the top? Managing that 'manipulation' going back seems easier to me. And it also seems like it would simplify hitting pitch shots while using the NTC swing pattern. 

dave

Can do it at varying times.    But that changes the nature of the NTC.

Edited by glk

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

1 hour ago, DaveLeeNC said:

dave

There’s a reason more good players are slightly cuped and flex in transition.  Dynamically it works better for most:

Flexing early makes it hard to hinge (radial) in the backswing and unloading the hinge properly (Getting center of mass begins the hands the right a lint, etc)  is where most speed comes from.  

Flexing early is what I tell people to do who over hinge. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

7 hours ago, MonteScheinblum said:

(Getting center of mass begins the hands the right a lint, etc)  is where most speed comes from.  

I can't quite decipher this... think there's a typo maybe.  Even if 'lint' becomes 'line' I still can't translate it.. help, please.

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

5 hours ago, wmblake2000 said:

I can't quite decipher this... think there's a typo maybe.  Even if 'lint' becomes 'line' I still can't translate it.. help, please.

I think it's behind instead of begins, but that still isn't getting me there. @MonteScheinblum???

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 C-taper S+

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

13 hours ago, MonteScheinblum said:

There’s a reason more good players are slightly cuped and flex in transition.  Dynamically it works better for most:

Flexing early makes it hard to hinge (radial) in the backswing and unloading the hinge properly (Getting center of mass begins the hands the right a lint, etc)  is where most speed comes from.  

Flexing early is what I tell people to do who over hinge. 

While I don't understand the previously referenced sentence regarding 'center of mass' I spent a bit of time in the back yard today with practice swings and some whiffles (and short pitch shots). My sense of things is that this 'further bowing of the lead wrist' in the downswing encourages proper hand motion (as opposed to starting with the position at the top (as Monte said). Also doing this on pitch shots (say a 60* wedge carrying 20 yards) is not as unnatural as I thought and probably a good way to ingrain this piece of the NTC swing. 

dave

2 hours ago, Ty_Webb said:

I think it's behind instead of begins, but that still isn't getting me there. @MonteScheinblum???

51 minutes ago, DaveLeeNC said:

Here is a guess - "Getting center of mass BEHIND the hands ON the right line (as opposed to 'a lint')",

dave

This makes sense. Well done. Next up: Where’s Waldo?

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

7 hours ago, wmblake2000 said:

Auto correct is going to get me in really bad trouble some day.

Yes......behind

9 minutes ago, wmblake2000 said:
  • Like 1

BERTRAND RUSSELL

At the beginning of 2019 I started trying to get better at golf for the first time in my life. The Efficient Swing, Use the Bounce, Drive 4 Dough, AMG, Adam Young, and an online lesson from Monte have helped tremendously. I was shooting 115-120s and shot 92 a few weeks ago. So, I've been tinkering with my swing a lot and there have been a lot of different feels and swings with my journey to find consistency. 

I had tried the No-Turn Cast before from D4D and youtube with some success but didn't fully understand it. I was trying not to turn my body and only focusing on cast A. As soon as I saw this new series and really trying to get to 8 o'clock and both casts I was immediately reminded of a successful swing feeling I had previously. I have had a lot of light bulb moments with my swing only to have trouble finding them again lol.  At first I really focused on my hands from the start to end of the swing and letting my body move with it. Now I'm finding that I get better contact when I try to get my pelvis to my lead heel during the backswing (like the videos glk posted, I want to reduce EE and get weight shifted), at the top of the backswing it feels like I am kind of leaning/titling my left shoulder downwards, and then starting the casts. I feel like I'm doing exactly what Justin Rose explains in the video posted previously (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dE8JvXR_MeY&ab_channel=GolfDigest). I've been able to use this from GW to driver fairly consistently. 

Here's my swing from a year ago and a few weeks ago.

• Like 3

Hey Monte, 

I purchased D4D on your old website http://montescheinblum.com/. I wanted to rewatch it but it looks like the site is gone. Is it possible to restore that video on my Rebellion golf account or do I need to purchase it again? Either way is fine, thanks for all you do!

Ping K15 driver
Ping G10 3, 4, 5 hybrids
Ping G15 irons
Cameron Newport, Ping Anser 3
Titleist Vokey 50* 54* wedges

14 minutes ago, flipmode said:

Hey Monte, 

I purchased D4D on your old website http://montescheinblum.com/. I wanted to rewatch it but it looks like the site is gone. Is it possible to restore that video on my Rebellion golf account or do I need to purchase it again? Either way is fine, thanks for all you do!

Email 

[email protected]

BERTRAND RUSSELL