Monte's new No Turn - Cast

Hawkeye77

6 hours ago, MonteScheinblum said:

The exact direction will be different, but intent is the same.

Monte, a related question but about the lead/left hand:

I play with a strong LH grip, would it be okay to have a bit of extension remaining in the left wrist after Cast A (assuming the face is square)? 

Any recommendations (or differences) WRT to Cast A for us strong lead hand grippers in general?

Flexion and supination of the lead wrist/arm are not possible for me due to an old wrist injury, which is why I ask.  

Thanks!  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rbsiedsc said:

So with this, would it be bad to UD or roll the left wrist at the start of the back swing? Only thing i could think of is it would not cause proper face rotation on the downswing? I am looking forward to putting some of these drills in place. Seems easier to digest than the ES series.

You have to load the wrists in the backswing in order to unload them in the downswing. Radial deviation, then ulnar deviation. So it's sort of like asking, if I want to strike my opponent, can I just start with my arm extended? 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, GolfSwang said:

Monte, a related question but about the lead/left hand:

I play with a strong LH grip, would it be okay to have a bit of extension remaining in the left wrist after Cast A (assuming the face is square)? 

Any recommendations (or differences) WRT to Cast A for us strong lead hand grippers in general?

Flexion and supination of the lead wrist/arm are not possible for me due to an old wrist injury, which is why I ask.  

Thanks!  

That’s not a good idea.  The golf swing is an action/reaction movement.  If you try and preset a position, you’re skipping 2 steps.

• Thanks 1

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

1 hour ago, MonteScheinblum said:

That’s not a good idea.  The golf swing is an action/reaction movement.  If you try and preset a position, you’re skipping 2 steps.

Monte, I'm assuming this is your answer for Rbsiedsc's question (about preset) above my post, correct?

My post was asking about having a strong left hand grip and Cast A. Is a bit of L wrist extension remaining after Cast A okay (if the face is square)? And any differences needed in Cast A for a strong LH grip? 

Cheers! 

I know covid extra 5 lbs & less exercise has had some impact. I’m a walker on a hilly course and today was first 18 playing with this new approach. The key feel I took to the course was to throw the head/UD as fast as I could from the top. 

By the end my arms were tired as hell! Hahaha. But I hit it about 98% of my best swing, total max all day. And straight. Of course chipping, putting which had kept me in the game disappeared. Of course.

Anyway, totally energized from this. 

• Like 2

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

3 hours ago, GolfSwang said:

Monte, I'm assuming this is your answer for Rbsiedsc's question (about preset) above my post, correct?

My post was asking about having a strong left hand grip and Cast A. Is a bit of L wrist extension remaining after Cast A okay (if the face is square)? And any differences needed in Cast A for a strong LH grip? 

Cheers! 

Intent is not different 

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

For some of you guys who are struggling with this. Don't forget the scrunch your left side part.This is a critical step that cannot be overlooked.

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

I've been messing around with the original drill as I struggle with arm overrun and my arms not staying connected. I hit it so crisply and far with almost no effort, but I can't seem to translate it to a full motion. Need to stick with it as I'm starting to see some improvement, and I'm definitely considering buying the new video. 

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Titleist 917F3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X (Ai Smoke TD otw)
Titleist T200 3 UB Thump 90-X / TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

I think the best thing I have learned is to be patient. Get one thing nailed down at a time. Overall its there with the short irons and I have got caught a few times flying the greens. Its coming with the longer clubs but not real consistent. Even the putting is better, lol. 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* Tour AD HD 5X, Big Tour 15.5*, Rad Tour 18.5* Even Flow White 6.0

Titleist U500 4 23* Hzdrus Smoke Black 6.0 

Titleist 718 AP2 5-P DG AMT White S300 

Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S, DG S200

Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1, Vice Pro Plus, Foresight GC3 

First time taking the swing thought out onto the course today. Few things I noticed were;

• Ball flight was much higher, and closer to where it should be
  • Overall distance a little shorter, especially with short irons
  • Much tighter dispersion with irons in general
  • Hard to apply to the driver - found myself hitting pretty big slices 

I think my big slice is due to early extension which I know is a problem I have. Has anyone found a drill for early extension that worked for them?

Rewatched cast A this morning and the left wrist "motorcycle" motion which I forgot about 

Doing some work in the backyard I noticed that when I incorporated it the feeling made me think of Mike Malaska and the tipping movement

I wasn't expecting a move towards 8 to feel like a nice I think of as in the opposite direction - how very golf! 

Adding that motion in slow swings showed me why people are getting hooks - lots of face closure! May be interesting tomorrow at Arundel Hills which is quite a narrow driving course and not very forgiving 

Tried the cast A at the range. While I still am OTT, it was less and the ball had power behind it. Need to keep drilling it in and do the drill as a practice swing to help ingrain. 

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with Ventus Black 6x 44.5"

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Srixon Z-star XV

I'm still stuck at about an 18HDCP.  My strengths are short game (thanks to Use the Bounce) and putting.  Decent driver but my weakness is consistency with my irons.  I always feel like i am losing accuracy and distance.  I sometimes don't release and push.  When i try to release, i feel like i can get flippy. 

Par 3 and ability to hilt greens are killing me right now.

Would you guys think that No Turn Cast would be valuable in addressing that?  Not looking for a magical fix.  Looking for something i could work on as Fall and Winter approach.  

3 hours ago, chrisf60526 said:

I'm still stuck at about an 18HDCP.  My strengths are short game (thanks to Use the Bounce) and putting.  Decent driver but my weakness is consistency with my irons.  I always feel like i am losing accuracy and distance.  I sometimes don't release and push.  When i try to release, i feel like i can get flippy. 

Par 3 and ability to hilt greens are killing me right now.

Would you guys think that No Turn Cast would be valuable in addressing that?  Not looking for a magical fix.  Looking for something i could work on as Fall and Winter approach.  

NTC coupled with Efficient Swing would certainly give you solid input to work on. I would think a video lesson might be worth it too - self diagnosis can be tricky.

• Like 2

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Working on the Cast A feeling during my round yesterday really helped me. Struck maybe 70% of my irons really well. Had some shanks on par 3s but likely yips. Would do the drill as a practice swing which helped keep the feel. My biggest issue on my misfits was not getting enough forward or getting to excited and pulling my head.  Now to fix my 3H on up swing. 

On 10/7/2020 at 1:38 PM, bortass said:

Monte explains the entire swing and it's pretty simple. The actual understanding and implementation may not be though. I think this video was the easiest to understand with regard to what to try and do during the entire swing that I have seen. Your mileage may vary of course since we don't all learn the same.

The UD comments helped me realize I was working on cast A wrong last week, lol. I was just trying to bend my wrist inward towards my wrist instead of my pinky. I rewatched that section of the video yesterday and that helped as well. Today I made it to the range and did cast A via UD and that seemed much better than what I was doing last week. I'm still a long ways off from be proficient with it but I see better shots at a slightly increased pace now. There is definitely a distance difference with some shots as well.

For some reason that wording made the move click for me. Thanks!

Had been thinking about starting the motion as a movement with the thumb down but moving the wrist towards the pinky seems to capture it better. Thinking it's easier to manipulate the thumb into moving the wrist in wrong direction.

I remembered the Cast A feel on the course on Saturday and absolutely crushed 3 drives and parred out on the back. Too bad it was after 33 holes! Honestly, I have no words on how I forgot a swing key I have been working with for this long. 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* Tour AD HD 5X, Big Tour 15.5*, Rad Tour 18.5* Even Flow White 6.0

Titleist U500 4 23* Hzdrus Smoke Black 6.0 

Titleist 718 AP2 5-P DG AMT White S300 

Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S, DG S200

Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1, Vice Pro Plus, Foresight GC3 

I thought I would relate my personal experience here. I am a pretty healthy 71 year old (still ride my bike 150-200 miles per week and I walk without a trolley most rounds of golf). 5+ years ago I had a club in my hands 5-6 days a week and (in good weather) played to an honest 5'ish index. I am now older, shorter, and was playing once a week and was failing to keep my index in single digits. 

While on the range or course 5-6 days a week is no longer going to happen, I decided to see what I could do with more regular chipping and whiffle balls in the back yard plus a weekly round (occasionally 2). And I picked up Monte's (paid) NTC video. 

This was just a couple of weeks ago, so this is far from 'have made the adjustment' and far from being able to say with certainty what this is going to mean to my game. But in one short sentence my sense of things is that the concept of a bowed left wrist early in the downswing is going to be a gamechanger for me.

I have always been a right-left golfer where my big errors were mostly left (with the occasional big push). My golfing subconscious is still adjusting to this position (it really doesn't want to be there). Despite 'feeling like' the ball is going to go dead left, it is actually much straighter 'when I bow' vs. when I fail to get a decent amount of bow in that wrist. And ball contact is far more consistent when bowed early in the downswing. I would also add that, despite my golfing subconscious objection to that position near the top, when I get there the move through the ball feels very/very natural and easy - better than a move through the ball back when I was younger and playing more and better. 

We will see where this ends up but my sense is that this could save my interest in the game of golf.  Thanks, Monte.

dave

Edited by DaveLeeNC
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/14/2020 at 1:56 AM, scottthehibee said:

It says on the website that a SPECIAL PROMO PRICE of $18.99 until September 15th, 2021. Then it will be priced at $26.99

Is the 2021 date a misprint? It's $26.99 when I go to buy it?

I noticed that too. It’s a typo although I paid it anyways. It’s like a gas station, always check the actual price at the pump. 

So I had a long flight from east coast to west coast last week and read all 17 pages of this thread while on the plane.  My swing is in OK shape, have really been focusing on the pivot and have been reasonably successful.  I play to about a 3, but really can’t seem to get any better.  I don’t hit it particularly long, but usually don’t make many big mistakes.  However, one thing I hate about my swing is the arm runoff at the end of the backswing.  I tried to incorporate all aspects of this swing with one driving range trip and one round of golf.  It was just OK.  Then I decided to just work on the backswing, which is way different for me.  Downswing, really didn’t think about doing anything different.  Played 9 last night and was night and day, great contact on almost all shots.  Moral of the story for me is take it slow.  I’ll just work on pieces for a while, but the backswing piece alone is worth the price of the video.  

• Like 3

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond
PXG 0211 (15)

PXG 0211 (19)
PXG Gen 6 0311P 5-AW
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54, 58
Seemore Mini Giant DF

4 hours ago, pgetzen said:

So I had a long flight from east coast to west coast last week and read all 17 pages of this thread while on the plane.  My swing is in OK shape, have really been focusing on the pivot and have been reasonably successful.  I play to about a 3, but really can’t seem to get any better.  I don’t hit it particularly long, but usually don’t make many big mistakes.  However, one thing I hate about my swing is the arm runoff at the end of the backswing.  I tried to incorporate all aspects of this swing with one driving range trip and one round of golf.  It was just OK.  Then I decided to just work on the backswing, which is way different for me.  Downswing, really didn’t think about doing anything different.  Played 9 last night and was night and day, great contact on almost all shots.  Moral of the story for me is take it slow.  I’ll just work on pieces for a while, but the backswing piece alone is worth the price of the video.  

Crazy reading this, as I've actually been hesitant to move on from the backswing piece. I've had one of my best seasons ever scoring-wise, but feel like my ball-striking has not been as solid as it has been in the past.  I'm truly shocked by what the backswing part alone has done to help me (re)dial in some consistency.

Went out today only focused on the backswing.  Shot 74 with 4 birdies.  Made a stupid double bogey on a hole.  The two things that are mind blowing to me was how open my face was before with a cupped wrist getting to the 7:00 spot, but the body turn to 8:00 has turned a baby fade to a baby draw.  Amazing stuff by Monte here.

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond
PXG 0211 (15)

PXG 0211 (19)
PXG Gen 6 0311P 5-AW
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54, 58
Seemore Mini Giant DF

My first "real" round of golf since NTC.  Personal best 43-39 for 82!  It wasn't the toughest track (slope 66; par 71) but it was a good test, and the back nine was far more difficult than the front.

In Monday's round, on the back nine, I hit four drives of 250-270 yards in the fairway, and a 3-wood off the tee to the fringe on a 235-yard hole.

For me, Cast A is the "secret" I never learned as a kid or an adult.  I'm so excited to play at a level I always knew I could play at.  Thank you, @MonteScheinblum!  

• Like 3

I take it at address your butt is at 6 o'clock (and your clubhead is at 12 o'clock) and you are trying to set the club to 8 o'clock without turning (although body will react), then casting the head towards 12 o'clock?

Think I'll get the video, but if someone could clarify before I do, that would be great.  

21 minutes ago, FatThinNeverIn said:

I take it at address your butt is at 6 o'clock (and your clubhead is at 12 o'clock) and you are trying to set the club to 8 o'clock without turning (although body will react), then casting the head towards 12 o'clock?

Think I'll get the video, but if someone could clarify before I do, that would be great.  

• Like 1

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

1 hour ago, FatThinNeverIn said:

If you want to learn this, just purchase the video. Less expensive than a low quality box of golf balls. Instead of having to ask unknowns on the internet, you will have Monte Scheinblum teaching you this information directly.   

• Like 4