Monte's new No Turn - Cast

• Replies 888
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Everyone doing this has been doing it for a week.  Ask a tour player how long it takes to fully implement a new concept.   How would you expect more than a general answer when the swing isn’

Well, you have to try a method to see if it works for you. Paying first...not a good sales approach.     I read the book and employed the swing of Brian Sparks’ free EasiestSwing.com approac

What may be a glitch or just something in the works is I'm not seeing a sponsors list on the latest version of the site, but have no doubt Monte is still with us as a sponsor and contributing!  

Posted Images

6 hours ago, sprcoop said:

By casting to 8 this has brought my path more inside out so I have gone from fairly straight to fade being my natural shape to fairly straight to draw with NTC.  Kinda cool.

I setup an alignment stick (Eric Cogorno best drill ever style) so that if the club head is outside (ball side) my hands at P6 I will whack it. Filming with HS (240FPS) using NTC shows I'm missing the stick by more inches than normal.

+1 on this.  I used to hit a fade until I turned to the 8:00 position.  Now, since I am coming from the inside more, I am hitting straight to slight draw.  Huge difference from such a small move.

Ping G400 LST Driver
TEE CBX 119 3 Wood, 2H
Taylormade P790 4-AW
Cleveland RTX4 54, 60
Seemore Mini Giant Deep Flange

I like Monte.  Had lessons with him in person. But buying this video while drinking was a very very bad idea.

I am not a great golfer, but the one thing I've never struggled with is OTT....every instructor told me I shallow the club and have a good impact position.  If I could just get a good backswing...

Edited by mantan
  • Confused 1

WITB (as of 11/14/20)
PING G410 PLUS 9*
PING G400 5-wood
PING G410 22*
Srixon Z565 5-PW
Cleveland CBX 2 50*
Cleveland CBX 2 54*
Cleveland CBX Full Face 58*
Cleveland Frontline Elevado
Srixon Z-Star

On 10/24/2020 at 6:11 AM, games said:

@sprcoop Did just your shot shape change?  Did you pick up extra carry distance with this?  For me, it made my driver come alive in the last round I played.

I did pick up almost 10MPH of effortless CHS just by throwing to 8 O'clock. 

Saturday played with a regular partner that is always 30+ yards past me and he decided to play from the tips.  One hole he teed up nearly 70 yards behind me and when we got to our balls I was 70 in front of him.  Nice!

I have picked up a few yards with irons also as NTC is helping with lag and compression/lowering my high ball flight plus the CHS.

• Like 1

Driver: Titleist 910 D2 9.75* Diamana Kai'li 65 Mid S 3W: Titleist 910F 16.5 * Diamana Kai'li 75 Mid R 3H: Titleist 910H 19 * Diamana Kai'li 80HYB Mid R 2I: TourModel III True Temper S 3-PW: Mizuno MP 60 True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 S SW: TourModel III True Temper S Putter: Cobra Anvil 005 Ball: Ksig 3 piece

How would the motion on NTC look on HackMotion? I'm not looking for ideal but rather what direction it would move things? What would the best candidates look like in a before/after sense and who wouldn't be a good candidate for this (as Monte says that we need matching pieces)?

In anticipation of the suggestion, I have already purchased NTC.

58 minutes ago, dhc1 said:

How would the motion on NTC look on HackMotion? I'm not looking for ideal but rather what direction it would move things? What would the best candidates look like in a before/after sense and who wouldn't be a good candidate for this (as Monte says that we need matching pieces)?

In anticipation of the suggestion, I have already purchased NTC.

If you do it correctly, just like a tour player graph.

First range session (terrible video- not enough space at the range).

Still overswinging.  Need to work on the first move before worrying about the rest.  However, swing still miles shorter than before.  While I'm just going to focus on move one (and hopefully will have a positive knock-on effect) are there any other kind but critical comments from folks doing NTC?

Edited by FatThinNeverIn

FatThinNeverIn:

Monte is the expert but I will take a crack at helping as I have had the same issues in the past.  Backswing could use a little work.  Too flat and club is still moving as your shoulders stop.  Getting the backswing in a better position has helped me a ton thanks to ITeach and Monte.  

Here is a old video from Monte:  

Edited by BigD
1 hour ago, BigD said:

FatThinNeverIn:

Monte is the expert but I will take a crack at helping as I have had the same issues in the past.  Backswing could use a little work.  Too flat and club is still moving as your shoulders stop.  Getting the backswing in a better position has helped me a ton thanks to ITeach and Monte.  

Here is a old video from Monte:  

Just to be clear, this is a feel drill to stop sucking the arms in....in reality the hands come in A hair more.

• Like 1
Just now, MonteScheinblum said:

Just to be clear, this is a feel drill to stop sucking the arms in....in reality the hands come in A hair more.

Tom Lehman from 1998 called and wants his pleated Dockers back! 

Do you have any good tips (feels) on weight pressure on the feet aka to get that right hip to turn toward the target. I am almost there but can't seem to get it all the way. 

• Haha 1

Cobra F9 9* Evenflow White 6.0, F9 Tour Fairway 13.5* Evenflow White 6.0 

Adams Idea Pro Gold 18* 2H Matrix Ozik Altus 

Titleist 718 AP2 4-P DG AMT S300, Vokey SM7 50/8*, 54/10*, 58/10*, S200

Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1

I'm doing pretty well with the Cast A and seeing some good shallowing improvement. However, I feel like I have to work really hard to get from the 8o'clock position to the ball. Seems like I'm working too hard...Anyone else running into this? Maybe it's because I'm going from a static position? 

Edited by scopek
2 hours ago, scopek said:

I'm doing pretty well with the Cast A and seeing some good shallowing improvement. However, I feel like I have to work really hard to get from the 8o'clock position to the ball. Seems like I'm working too hard...Anyone else running into this? Maybe it's because I'm going from a static position? 

If you're talking about feeling like you're working too hard during the drill for cast A (which I think is what you mean), I think this is normal. I haven't spent a ton of time on it yet, but have tried it and can see where you're coming from. A couple of reasons why:

• Simply doing a drill that involves moving off of a static position (as you noted) takes extra focus in itself
  • The fact that you're attempting to train your hands to do something new (or at least "different" than what you might be used to) while letting your body react takes a toll physically, as well as on your brain in order to sync things up and sequence the changes

2 minutes ago, leftymatt said:

If you're talking about feeling like you're working too hard during the drill for cast A (which I think is what you mean), I think this is normal. I haven't spent a ton of time on it yet, but have tried it and can see where you're coming from. A couple of reasons why:

• Simply doing a drill that involves moving off of a static position (as you noted) takes extra focus in itself
  • The fact that you're attempting to train your hands to do something new (or at least "different" than what you might be used to) while letting your body react takes a toll physically, as well as on your brain in order to sync things up and sequence the changes

Thank you...Yes, it's part of the actual cast part that takes a bit of effort but it's really going from the cast to hitting the ball that I really feel like I have to muscle. I'm also wondering if I'm tensing up from the cast A part of the drill, which could be part of what I'm feeling. I sent video to Monte and got a thumbs up on doing the drill correctly...I'll just have to keep working on it

Edited by scopek
59 minutes ago, scopek said:

Thank you...Yes, it's part of the actual cast part that takes a bit of effort but it's really going from the cast to hitting the ball that I really feel like I have to muscle. I'm also wondering if I'm tensing up from the cast A part of the drill, which could be part of what I'm feeling. I sent video to Monte and got a thumbs up on doing the drill correctly...I'll just have to keep working on it

I can definitely see (and feel) getting tense with that move. A little more repetition should help alleviate this and make things a bit more fluid.

I don't want to overcomplicate things for you (so feel free to ignore this as you work on 1 piece at a time), but one part of the lesson that seems to help me in getting from cast A to the impact is feeling that lead knee flex/back knee lose a little flex, which is discussed in "backswing B" and the transition.  With this in mind during the drills, I feel like it's a little more fluid/natural to then turn through to that good impact position from Cast A.

Keep at it! I've got work to do myself

15 hours ago, scopek said:

Resist the temptation to muscle!!  Tension is a deal killer here.  Remember:  Monte says what feels powerful or exerting effort doesn't necessarily produce speed.  When I exert tension, impact feels harsh.  When I don't, I feel compression.

Along those lines, watch the last 15 seconds of video 11.  Monte addresses tension created and speed lost when you feel like you are trying to hold a certain position.  For me, I'm finding executing Cast B as an out-and-out flip is increasing my speed.  Again, my feel isn't real, and just because I think of it as a flip, doesn't mean it's really a flip.  It might mean I'm just allowing a natural release... 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, FatThinNeverIn said:

Anyone feel that it’s all arms/wrists and no body at all?

It probably “feels” like that, because that’s where the focus is in this method. I would think as you get used to it, it will become more natural, and you won’t need to focus or have constant swing thoughts about wrist angles and mechanics.

8 hours ago, FatThinNeverIn said:

Anyone feel that it’s all arms/wrists and no body at all?

This is focused on that part of the swing to solve specific things. But the pivot is also implied within it and is part of what Monte teaches. 

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD AD DI 5
Callawy Epic 5W 

Callaway X-hot pro 3 h
TM P790 4-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

6 hours ago, mick202020 said:

I am still focusing on the backswing components as per Monte's instructions before moving on to Cast A.

I have a question

For those working on the drills provided RE the wrist set and then the turn to 8 -> does anyone have a super shut club face at the top? What could be the cause of this?

pics please

14 hours ago, mick202020 said:

I am still focusing on the backswing components as per Monte's instructions before moving on to Cast A.

I have a question

For those working on the drills provided RE the wrist set and then the turn to 8 -> does anyone have a super shut club face at the top? What could be the cause of this?

It might very well feel very shut if you had it open before. It should definitely be more shut than what you had at address. 

For anyone needing a little different look at Cast A, be sure to take a look at the lesson with Cooper, and in particular the last 30 seconds or so. Monte gives him a nice visual on how to move his hands to Cast A that is a slightly different look from the instruction portions of NTC. The picture from that for me is like I've walked through a door and I'm closing the door behind me while still walking/facing forward. It helps the flow without feeling like I'm moving through static positions, especially while playing.. FWIW...

• Like 1

[b]Trackman SS-97 GolfWrx SS-110[/b]

Ping G400 LST Xtorsion Copper 60 S
Cobra King F7 Fujikura Pro 65 S 14.5* Weight Forward
Ping I Blades 4-PW S300 + 1/2 Red Dot
Mizuno TM7 Wedges 50, 54 and 58
Toulon Atlanta StrokeLab 35"

15 hours ago, mick202020 said:

Does anyone have any tips on how to add the knee flexion in transition? This is my major fault - I have a huge hip spin out and my right hip moves towards the ball in transition. In slow mo I can feel adding the left knee bend will allow me to stay closed - but when I do this I end up hitting the ball so fat.

Have you tried picking up your left heel (slightly) in your back swing?

Edited by Puttersaurus Rex

Have Fun - Ready Golf - Repair Divots/Marks - FORE

Sorry if this has been asked by other users, but why is the feel of this move so different than what others are teaching? Specifically GG and his rotational backswing and downswing feel of 'splitting the rug' with the lower body and passive hands through the swing. It's built entirely around rotation. NTC is mostly arms driving and getting you into position that way. They are two entirely different feels. 

I love both teachers and both moves work for me, but is it literally up to the fact that there are more ways than one to swing the club? Do I just choose one that works / feels the best?

Thanks! 

5 hours ago, RandallB said:

Sorry if this has been asked by other users, but why is the feel of this move so different than what others are teaching? Specifically GG and his rotational backswing and downswing feel of 'splitting the rug' with the lower body and passive hands through the swing. It's built entirely around rotation. NTC is mostly arms driving and getting you into position that way. They are two entirely different feels. 

I love both teachers and both moves work for me, but is it literally up to the fact that there are more ways than one to swing the club? Do I just choose one that works / feels the best?

Thanks! 

There is a constant argument about the golf swing, is it arm driven or pivot driven it’s actually both. If you do the the ntc back swing notice 2 things. 

1 left arm to 7 o’clock your chest turns but more importantly 

2 from 7 o’clock to 8 o’clock your intent is an arm move but it’s actually pretty much a rotation of the chest. Your left arm in relation to the chest doesn’t move much across. It’s a clever way of thinking about the arms but makes you pivot.

Try cast B which is getting the right arm forward quickly without the pivot ie chest and hips rotating, won’t happen.

Gankas says leave the arms up on the downswing, it doesn’t happen. I admit intents and feels appear to be exact opposites with different coaches. AMG for instance are not as big on shallowing with the left wrist for example and along with monte I don’t think are huge on early rotation of the hips. 

Bought the videos after reading this topic. I'm going to implement this gradually. Swinging in my living room without ball. Right now only working on the feeling of forcing the left knee and cast A at the same time, to get a feel for the transition. Holding the turn and feeling how the clubhead moves away while shifting the weight forward. Excellent feeling and also getting the impression I'm getting set up to release with some speed. But before practicing cast B, I want to ingrain A with the transition. So not swinging yet. Only doing the cast A drill.