Monte's new No Turn - Cast

Hawkeye77

I purchased it as well and had my first range session today. Hit the ball very solidly overall with better dispersion than normal. The move definitely helps you keep the face square longer through impact. I also noticed that it helped my hips work correctly on the downswing and that I was finishing in a different position than with my "normal" swing.

I am excited to keep building on it.

• Like 1

The bit that has confused me is the no turn 7 to 8

In the video Monte looks like he is moving the hands horizontal to the ground - does that mean the feel is to go back to left arm parallel at 7 and then feel like you are just going deeper to 8 without the hands moving up an more? Or is that an exaggeration for the feel and in reality the hands continue to go up while going back towards 8?

• Like 2

I cracked and bought it this morning - have now watched it all the way through a couple of times already.

I've been a pretty avid watcher of all of Monte's content for a while, and have been to see him for a couple of in-person lessons. I'm someone who to be honest has really struggled to incorporate the no-turn cast and the 'shallowing' move into my full swing. It has never felt natural to me and I have never managed to groove it into something that's repeatable and manageable. I'm an 8 index and I know it's something I need to nail down to really take the next step, but I've struggled with it.

I feel like this series could be the missing piece. 

The part in particular that I've never seen Monte speak to before which made me audibly say "oh wow" when I watched it the first time is when he talks about the 'second cast' from 8 o'clock to 12 o'clock. I know that something I'm guilty of when I'm trying to come more from the inside to hit that push-draw pattern, is just completely rolling my wrists over and then finishing with my hands moving up vertically post-impact and a big ol' chicken wing to save it. That idea of the second cast from club parallel to club parallel and the way your right wrist is supposed to work (and correspondingly the way that forces your body to work) is a complete game changer for me.

Couple that with just the far more detailed description of the initial cast from the top, and this is worth far, far more than $19. Itching to get to the range to try.

Edited by JP87
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Weetbix said:

The bit that has confused me is the no turn 7 to 8

In the video Monte looks like he is moving the hands horizontal to the ground - does that mean the feel is to go back to left arm parallel at 7 and then feel like you are just going deeper to 8 without the hands moving up an more? Or is that an exaggeration for the feel and in reality the hands continue to go up while going back towards 8?

I’ll answer your question with a question.  People with long backswings, what do their arms generally do too much?

• Like 2

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

45 minutes ago, MonteScheinblum said:

I’ll answer your question with a question.  People with long backswings, what do their arms generally do too much?

Professor Kingsfield getting Socratic!

(not that it isn't the right question!)

Had the afternoon off and spent some more quality time with the new videos - one thing I like is that I can pick up a club and sort of sing along, so to speak. Well done sir!

off to the range tomorrow to try this. i have the feel that on the cast my hands go more towards 5 o clock not 4 o clock (lefty) when. I first learnt of this a couple of years ago I was hitting the ball a lot further so excited to bring this back to my game. 

compared the no turn part of it to my current drill and realised how big my backswing is currently. Buying this video made me really look back at recent video of my swing.

Hoping this video also helps me get rid of my slight flip at impact. The way Monte explains everything in this video I love mainly the 2d part. I filmed my swing in the garden doing the cast watched it in slow and looks just like the pros holding the lag etc. Makes so much sense, if your unsure to buy it I 100% recommend it

Well, you have to try a method to see if it works for you. Paying first...not a good sales approach.  

I read the book and employed the swing of Brian Sparks’ free EasiestSwing.com approach and it is a miracle.  You need to watch all the vids from Sparks and Julian Mellor.

I am sure Monte is great, but for me, I found my niche. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

TaylorMade Burner 3-wood and 5-wood REAX reg graphite

Mizuno MX-23 forged 5-PW, Mizuno forged SW, GW, LW

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot Rossie 36" --  Ball: TP5 X

32 minutes ago, Tim Schoch said:

Well, you have to try a method to see if it works for you. Paying first...not a good sales approach.  

I read the book and employed the swing of Brian Sparks’ free EasiestSwing.com approach and it is a miracle.  You need to watch all the vids from Sparks and Julian Mellor.

Ummm...cool. 

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Tim Schoch said:

So looks good on you though? What the heck. When our theater opens I'm going to insist I get to see the movies free to decide if they are later worth paying for. And it's not a "method" we are talking about.

Will be happy to read your thoughts in an appropriate thread, glad you have something that works for you.

Edited by Hawkeye77
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Tim Schoch said:

Trying it first is available on YouTube, you can google his "no turn cast drill" video, it explains the basic concept. He's offered that free forever.

I think the level of in-depth explanation he gives in this video is worth more than he's actually charging. ?

• Like 4

Titleist TSR2 // Autoflex SF505

Titleist TSR2 16.5 // Vista Pro 60s

Ping G25 20, 23 // Tour AD True Spec

Titleist T200/T150 5-GW // Steelfiber i80PR

Titleist SM9 54.10, 58.12 // Steelfiber i80r

L.A.B. Golf DF3 // L.A.B. x TPT

Off topic but if anyone uses American Express this triggers the small business offer ? 

making the video $14 

• Like 1

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 7.5* Ventus Black 6X
Titleist 913D2 12* UST Mamiya Tour Green 75X
PXG Gen5 19* Ventus Black 10TX
Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
Taylormade Spider Long Broomstick
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

7 hours ago, MonteScheinblum said:

I'm gunna go with lift?

And follow that to mean that no turn b is back to 8 not up and back to 8 - as a feel (as you noted in the video you do the feels, you get the positions)

4 hours ago, flipmode said:

I suck so sorry for the dumb question...how does this translate to 50 yard pitch shots? Can I use this for those shots?

What a coincidence, I suck too.  Doesn't stop me from learning and getting a little better from watching Monte's videos.

If you register with Monte's site, you get free access to his original "Use the Bounce" instructional video.  

https://video.rebelliongolf.com/programs/use_the_bounce

• Like 4

Just bought this and desperate to get to the range to try it! 

Think this is great value for money and Monte explains it really well. I had an online lesson with Monte a month ago and I know I need to work on my takeaway. Hoping this video will help with the downswing/pivot.

I've heard of the 'motorcycle move' and tried it in the past, but still seem to tilt excessively to the right right and stall with high left shoulder.

Watching the final lesson Monte had with Cooper made it clear how he wanted him to cast with the right hand in particular. Kind of feeling like the right palm should point down and towards 8 o clock. 

I'll def need to watch the section for cast #2 again but excited to try this out. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, flipmode said:

I suck so sorry for the dumb question...how does this translate to 50 yard pitch shots? Can I use this for those shots?

Quite easily.  Do the same drill/move exactly as shown in the video with a 60*.  Do not think of length of swing, just get from 7:00 to 8:00, shift/cast, then cast again.  Ball will come out just as you want it.  When practicing it is ok to be deliberate so you can nail the sequence, but once you have the sequence down then pay particular attention to your tempo.  As Monte likes to say, think minivan acceleration, not Ferrari.  

I actually would not worry right now about it being 50 yards.  I would make sure you can do this move with the 60*, with center contact, smooth, and then see what the distance is, should be around 50, but if not your adjustment is change the club, maybe 56, or slight change to your acceleration/tempo.  Point being, dial in the move first, get really comfortable with it, then experiment to dial in distances.  

Edited by CasualLie
  • Like 2

Went to the range today and worked on the first flip drill, the second flip drill and then tried to place the club at 7, move to 8 and through the ball. After 10 or so balls I started feeling how the club was ripping through the ball with less effort. Took some video and saw some great improvements in the right hip and impact being more consistent. I am still being challenged with the flat wrist, but its progress. The concepts worked the best when the backswing felt shorter, not overrun (that's a new feeling). Ball flight was a penetrating draw with irons through hybrid but I noticed that by the time I got to the driver I was hooking it pretty bad so I backed off the second cast  feeling a little and worked it out.  

• Like 1

Cobra LTDx 10.5* Tour AD HD 5X, Big Tour 15.5*, Rad Tour 18.5* Even Flow White 6.0

Titleist U500 4 23* Hzdrus Smoke Black 6.0 

Titleist 718 AP2 5-P DG AMT White S300 

Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S, DG S200

Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1, Vice Pro Plus, Foresight GC3 

I bought the series last night and watched it. It makes a ton of sense. Pulling the club handle has always been an issue for me so I can see where this would help.  

I went tried it with my net and for some reason and can’t incorporate the increased knee flex before casting the club to 8 o’clock. And when I do cast, it’s forcing me to stand up earlier at impact. 

otherwise it’s been a great purchase 

I have been struggling for a while trying to figure out how to lay the club off. Everything I've seen and tried never felt comfortable or organic to my swing.  I bought Monte's video and finally I felt I understood the move. Once I tried it, the rest of the swing flowed from there. Of course I have a lot of work to do on the range to make it stick. But after one day, I have hope that my game will greatly benefit.

I'm glad Monte included videos of him working on the move with different students. My swing looks very similar to his student JS. So that gave me confidence that I can make this work.

37 minutes ago, games said:

Last night, I go to the basement net, doing one of the drills, and doing well. It dawns on me this would work really well with Tour Tempo. Instead of swing-set-thru it’s swing-cast-thru.  

Turn on 24/8 tones and do the drill to it, and the first one’s so flush.  Well, of course I have to full swing, now.  And the full swing was flush and loud!  Did another and it was really loud. The third flush in a row was deafening.

As I’m making flight plans for the 2021 US Senior Open in my head, I hit the fourth.  Hello Mr. Shankapotamus!  Hard off the right net bracket, careens in front of me into the drywall to my left, hits a putter and knocks it over, and rolls onto my putting green where it stops.   Cue the voice of Mrs. Games (still unhappy about the ceiling fan incident) calling from upstairs: “What the heck was that?”  

I think I’m just going to stay with the basic drills for now...

So nice chip!!

1 hour ago, games said:

Last night, I go to the basement net, doing one of the drills, and doing well. It dawns on me this would work really well with Tour Tempo. Instead of swing-set-thru it’s swing-cast-thru.  

Turn on 24/8 tones and do the drill to it, and the first one’s so flush.  Well, of course I have to full swing, now.  And the full swing was flush and loud!  Did another and it was really loud. The third flush in a row was deafening.

As I’m making flight plans for the 2021 US Senior Open in my head, I hit the fourth.  Hello Mr. Shankapotamus!  Hard off the right net bracket, careens in front of me into the drywall to my left, hits a putter and knocks it over, and rolls onto my putting green where it stops.   Cue the voice of Mrs. Games (still unhappy about the ceiling fan incident) calling from upstairs: “What the heck was that?”  

I think I’m just going to stay with the basic drills for now...

Tour tempo is perfect for this it wasn’t the swings or the drills. It was the golf gods putting you in your place with the daydream!  So I would continue since the initial shots were gold it sounds 

Edited by stingerfade
  • Like 1

Bought this. I've been really helpless lately and I like the idea behind this. I tried to incorporate body rotation and force flattening and I just shoulder turned and then got the club stuck behind me. Attempts to fix my hand path have lead me too inside which for a musclebound guy is a nightmare. I just need some things to work on instead of mindlessly doing drills and then failing to connect the dots when I get back to full swinging. Hope it works for me! 

36 minutes ago, MaineMariner said:

Stupid question probably, but is the idea that once you get the various parts down, you combine them all in one fluid motion?

No, not at all.  Yes, combine the drills/thoughts into one fluid swing motion.

Have Fun - Ready Golf - Repair Divots/Marks - FORE