Monte's new No Turn - Cast

• Replies 889
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Everyone doing this has been doing it for a week.  Ask a tour player how long it takes to fully implement a new concept.   How would you expect more than a general answer when the swing isn’

Well, you have to try a method to see if it works for you. Paying first...not a good sales approach.     I read the book and employed the swing of Brian Sparks’ free EasiestSwing.com approac

What may be a glitch or just something in the works is I'm not seeing a sponsors list on the latest version of the site, but have no doubt Monte is still with us as a sponsor and contributing!  

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Sean2 said:

I have always struggled with the body centric swing methodology. I will have to give this a shot (pun intended). 

For what it's worth, I think it's definitely worth the shot. Conceptually what is talked about is pretty easy. The complexity is still there behind the scenes where you don't worry/deal with it. It's not a magic bullet for everyone but it's been worth the time and money to me. I'm seeing results with plenty more room to improve assuming i can actually start working on it again. 

• Like 1
On 11/7/2020 at 3:23 PM, berndgeurts said:

After 2 days of swinging and trying cast A, I added the cast B. Had some trouble sequencing it to cast A, but focussing on throwing it to 12 o'clock worked like a charm. It felt like throwing it to 1 or 2 oclock, but in reality it was 12. 

Going try the nyc on the range tomorrow. 

How'd it go on the range? I found that using cast B as the trigger for the downswing seemed to help me on the course. I think I have read a few other people mention the same thing. Granted we're all different, so your results may vary.

1 minute ago, bortass said:

How'd it go on the range? I found that using cast B as the trigger for the downswing seemed to help me on the course. I think I have read a few other people mention the same thing. Granted we're all different, so your results may vary.

It went very well. Cast B is my trigger. Need to keep casting towards 12 (feeling like 1/2 o clock). 

Also found that a steep backswing helps getting into the right position to start my downswing. Of course these are mostly feels.

Posted my swing in the swing videos topic

The latest video I uploaded on Nov 8th, is after implementing the NTC. A big difference.

Just purchased this last night. Hit two buckets and played 9 holes today. The no turn back swing by itself was a great change for me. I find it very straightforward and repeatable right away. The cast part took a little more practice but I feel as though the move is pretty natural and is producing very good contact. As an aside after two buckets and 9 holes I had no back pain/stiffness which would normally be present. The feel for me reminds me of a cross between Kenny Perry and Jim Furyk. 

Thank you Monte 

Edited by erikro

I am wondering if others have a reaction similar to mine regarding the 'feel' of the cast to 8:00. To me it does not feel like a cast. I can actually do a 'cast to 8:00' and when I do my swing completely falls apart and can hardly hit a golf ball. But I can do a real cast to 8:00 (if you will accept an anemic golf swing). 

But bowing the wrist and 'getting that shaft back there where it belongs' seems crucial to me. It just does not feel like a cast and I can't do it if I try to cast. To me it is a 'bow the wrist and flatten the shaft back toward 8:00'. And when I do that, (in aggregate) very good things happen. 

Am I unique in the feel that I am sensing here?

dave

Edited by DaveLeeNC
10 minutes ago, DaveLeeNC said:

I am wondering if others have a reaction similar to mine regarding the 'feel' of the cast to 8:00. To me it does not feel like a cast. I can actually do a 'cast to 8:00' and when I do my swing completely falls apart and can hardly hit a golf ball. But I can do a real cast to 8:00 (if you will accept an anemic golf swing). 

But bowing the wrist and 'getting that shaft back there where it belongs' seems crucial to me. It just does not feel like a cast and I can't do it if I try to cast. To me it is a 'bow the wrist and flatten the shaft back toward 8:00'. And when I do (in aggregate) very good things happen. 

Am I unique in the feel that I am sensing here?

dave

Dave, that's me to a tee. If I cast to 8:00 like you, I get too handsy and I don't turn. For whatever reason I'm not as reactive with my body turn the way Monte explains it. But I think the bow and flatten to 8:00 is doing wonders for me.

I shot a 75 (as an 8 HC) a few weeks ago, best round I've had in 20 years. The NTC is here to stay!

• Like 1
8 hours ago, MonteScheinblum said:

You gents are doing exactly what you’re supposed to.  Take the info and personalize it.

I appreciate the validation, Monte!

I'll also add, if it might help anyone, after I bow and flatten, I feel like I can and must turn really aggressive with my core. Monte references J Rose often and this is a great image when talking about turning aggressively.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAVhvDdlXPl/?igshid=6942tnc9s6z0

In his explanation, Rose does so many of the concepts that Monte talks about in NTC.

It's been a great combo for me so far.

I'm sad that snow is here in MN, because I was just getting started with this concept and seeing some awesome improvement. It's actually been so good that I've needed to keep reminding myself to be patient. I'm too eager to have the changes be permanent, while we all know it takes time. To help with this, I've been trying to spend a lot of time with a 7 or 8-iron hitting it about 60%. I forget which video it was featured in, but I think this was Monte's suggestion when working through any swing change.

Just a general comment regarding this technique and chipping/pitching. I am finding that this mental and literal 'approach to hitting the ball' has markedly improved my ability to hit these short shots cleanly. It has changed the way the ball comes off the clubhead and I am in the process of making that adjustment. But I am finding 'impact consistency' to be much improved. And it is not like my short game was a mess to begin with.

How about others in this regard? 

dave

3 hours ago, DaveLeeNC said:

Just a general comment regarding this technique and chipping/pitching. I am finding that this mental and literal 'approach to hitting the ball' has markedly improved my ability to hit these short shots cleanly. It has changed the way the ball comes off the clubhead and I am in the process of making that adjustment. But I am finding 'impact consistency' to be much improved. And it is not like my short game was a mess to begin with.

How about others in this regard? 

dave

As I've adopted NTC, I also started standing closer to the ball.  To your point, chips and small pitches do feel more clean and crisp, like the clubhead is dropping directly onto the ball, rather than my arms reaching out to swing the club.

Wanted to post the following and I think it may help some here:  So initially I started working on cast A but focusing more on the wrist movements instead of the casting feel.  It worked great for a while then a few weeks ago tried feeling the "cast" more.  I struggled quite a bit and took video....then saw while I was flexing the lead wrist in transition, my hands were moving to vertically to start down causing me to get jammed and then had to extend a touch early and lose left bend in order to create room...results were a lot of pulls and hooks and a big loss of distance with driver.  My next step was to focus on the wrist flexing while feeling the hands moving out more....got a little better...balls went straighter but it wasn't quite right....Then decided to look at it from an action/reaction mindset...If my hands were moving too vertically down then I was probably casting to 6 or 6:30 and not 8....if I cast to 8 that should allow my hands to move out a touch and get me in a better position....bingo...started hitting it better...a touch thin but right on line and I could even hit a fade again which is something I haven't been able to do for 6 months.  Once I adjust a bit I'm sure the thin shots will go away.  

• Like 3

Driver: Callaway Epic 9* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD M9003
FWY: Taylormade Rocketballz Tp 14.5*
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 18*
Irons: Srixon Z765 3-5 iron, z965 6-PW, Project X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: Cleveland CG14 1 dot
Putter: Taylormade Daytona Rossa with agsi.

The drills on the range have pretty good results for me but I am struggling to bring it to the course. The dumb thing is driver and woods off a tee are doing better overall. Not great distances but I'm keeping the ball in play which is big for me. Irons, including par 3s, and woods off the deck are a crap shoot. Mishits are thin irons and topped woods. Directionally it's a mix of pushes and pulls, lol.

The good shots though are very nice and I somehow managed to get two par 3 tee shots inside 18 inches over the last few weeks. So while I am 'struggling', which I was doing before NTC, there is progress. This is in alignment with what Monte has said about not looking at a change like this in the short term. It's not gonna be quick and easy, unless you are either gifted or were almost there already.

If any of you have not watched the 90 minute Instagram Q&A, I recommend it. Monte talks about some things that helped me set expectations and he explains about how reactions work. That was a big one for me. He talks about going down and left(forward) to cause the reaction of going up and right. Guess this is the ground pressure rage that is floating around. Anyhow it's a completely foreign concept for me and I don't recall it being talked about in the actual NTC video unless I missed it. 

• Like 1

Interesting first session hitting balls today. I just took a wedge and a couple balls to the local field to get the first move down. I generally arrive at the top of the swing with a cupped wrist so flattening it was an interesting feel - much more solid. 

I simply focused on that move to halfway back today and hit the ball really solidly on the whole considering it's quite alien. 

The part of the swing that I'm struggling to get my head around is the transition move Monte recommends. Increasing the flex in the left knee feels very strange and it feels like it's shifting my entire mass too far forward. I get that it's not a huge move onto the left side, but it's going to take some mirror work to be comfortable with that one. 

43 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

Interesting first session hitting balls today. I just took a wedge and a couple balls to the local field to get the first move down. I generally arrive at the top of the swing with a cupped wrist so flattening it was an interesting feel - much more solid. 

I simply focused on that move to halfway back today and hit the ball really solidly on the whole considering it's quite alien. 

The part of the swing that I'm struggling to get my head around is the transition move Monte recommends. Increasing the flex in the left knee feels very strange and it feels like it's shifting my entire mass too far forward. I get that it's not a huge move onto the left side, but it's going to take some mirror work to be comfortable with that one. 

Move happens between p3 and p5 Pressure shift before end of backswing.

AMG downhill move.   If haven’t done it will take some work and can feel like a big move.

some vids 

https://www.instagram.com/p/BtywnanlLn_/

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_SXD4MFBJ7/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDow8ZhD-pD/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAYGhArFN1O/

Edited by glk

Enjoy every sandwich

22 minutes ago, glk said:

AMG downhill move.   If haven’t done it will take some work and can feel like a big move.

some vids 

That's so helpful. Cheers! 

4 hours ago, bortass said:

The drills on the range have pretty good results for me but I am struggling to bring it to the course. The dumb thing is driver and woods off a tee are doing better overall. Not great distances but I'm keeping the ball in play which is big for me. Irons, including par 3s, and woods off the deck are a crap shoot. Mishits are thin irons and topped woods. Directionally it's a mix of pushes and pulls, lol.

The good shots though are very nice and I somehow managed to get two par 3 tee shots inside 18 inches over the last few weeks. So while I am 'struggling', which I was doing before NTC, there is progress. This is in alignment with what Monte has said about not looking at a change like this in the short term. It's not gonna be quick and easy, unless you are either gifted or were almost there already.

If any of you have not watched the 90 minute Instagram Q&A, I recommend it. Monte talks about some things that helped me set expectations and he explains about how reactions work. That was a big one for me. He talks about going down and left(forward) to cause the reaction of going up and right. Guess this is the ground pressure rage that is floating around. Anyhow it's a completely foreign concept for me and I don't recall it being talked about in the actual NTC video unless I missed it. 

course takes a while.....My range sessions get better within a month or two...on course took me like 6 months just to have a real solid ballstriking round and it flip flops back and forth since though as a whole it's a lot better.  My handicap has tightened a lot....meaning that my scores are all within a much smaller range and a blow up round is much more rare.    FYI In my case....a big breakthrough tends to happen after I hit 2 of 3 weeks of awful play....just stick with it!  The down left pressure is discussed as the 2nd part of "no turn" in transition.

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Epic 9* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD M9003
FWY: Taylormade Rocketballz Tp 14.5*
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 18*
Irons: Srixon Z765 3-5 iron, z965 6-PW, Project X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: Cleveland CG14 1 dot
Putter: Taylormade Daytona Rossa with agsi.

Second session hitting wedges. I'm still focusing on the 7 o'clock move, but I've added in a little flexing into the left knee. It feels more natural than I thought it would and ball striking was mostly solid. I'm in no rush to add the cast with a ball until I can hit balls safely on the range, but will drill it at home. 

Edit: one thing that's challenging my understanding is getting from 7 o'clock to 8 o'clock in the backswing. It looks like there's no more up with the arms at all in the video, but that feels really deep to me. I've been fighting taking it inside too quickly for years, and I felt that I had a handle on the club being more in front of me thanks to ASI, but this feels like I'm going to get stuck. Thoughts or insights welcome. 

Edited by TheDeanAbides
19 hours ago, ferrispgm said:

Wanted to post the following and I think it may help some here:  So initially I started working on cast A but focusing more on the wrist movements instead of the casting feel.  It worked great for a while then a few weeks ago tried feeling the "cast" more.  I struggled quite a bit and took video....then saw while I was flexing the lead wrist in transition, my hands were moving to vertically to start down causing me to get jammed and then had to extend a touch early and lose left bend in order to create room...results were a lot of pulls and hooks and a big loss of distance with driver.  My next step was to focus on the wrist flexing while feeling the hands moving out more....got a little better...balls went straighter but it wasn't quite right....Then decided to look at it from an action/reaction mindset...If my hands were moving too vertically down then I was probably casting to 6 or 6:30 and not 8....if I cast to 8 that should allow my hands to move out a touch and get me in a better position....bingo...started hitting it better...a touch thin but right on line and I could even hit a fade again which is something I haven't been able to do for 6 months.  Once I adjust a bit I'm sure the thin shots will go away.  

For me, it was pure laziness with the arms.  They have to get back to 8pm.  Then as you mention @ferrispgm, it helps if you cast a little more toward 8:30.

I've been using the ball as my reference for the NTC "clock."  Think about where 6:00, 7:00, 8:00, and 9:00 are on the ball.  Then consider the NTC arm direction and cast directions should run parallel to the "ball clock."  It's called "No Turn Cast" but it's not without depth in the swing.  It's just a matter of how that depth is achieved.  I still think the hidden gems in the new video are the segue / transitions between video segments showing the overhead shots of Monte's swing in relation to the clock.

1 hour ago, TheDeanAbides said:

Second session hitting wedges. I'm still focusing on the 7 o'clock move, but I've added in a little flexing into the left knee. It feels more natural than I thought it would and ball striking was mostly solid. I'm in no rush to add the cast with a ball until I can hit balls safely on the range, but will drill it at home. 

Edit: one thing that's challenging my understanding is getting from 7 o'clock to 8 o'clock in the backswing. It looks like there's no more up with the arms at all in the video, but that feels really deep to me. I've been fighting taking it inside too quickly for years, and I felt that I had a handle on the club being more in front of me thanks to ASI, but this feels like I'm going to get stuck. Thoughts or insights welcome. 

lots of drills out there with the stick drill being a good one.    Like this explanation and simple drill.  When I work on this I like to stop at shaft parallel and then use my turn  (feels like I’m using my lead shoulder to push the club up) to finish the backswing.    Little is said about it but I find that it is important to have the pivot and arms in synch on the backswing otherwise the table is set for making compensations in the short time that is transition.   This drill helps that.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CArLoP8llFa/

Enjoy every sandwich

19 minutes ago, glk said:

lots of drills out there with the stick drill being a good one.    Like this explanation and simple drill.  When I work on this I like to stop at shaft parallel and then use my turn  (feels like I’m using my lead shoulder to push the club up) to finish the backswing.    Little is said about it but I find that it is important to have the pivot and arms in synch on the backswing otherwise the table is set for making compensations in the short time that is transition.   This drill helps that.

Thanks for replying, and I'm sorry if I wasn't clear on this. I have no issue with the takeaway or 7 o'clock position. It's the move straight back to 8 o'clock with the arms that I'm struggling to implement. It feels much more stuck than I feel comfortable being, but I can see that it's simply coiled and on plane. It actually bears no resemblance to my old whipped inside and then up and long 'backswing' effort that I spent a year fixing. 

32 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

Thanks for replying, and I'm sorry if I wasn't clear on this. I have no issue with the takeaway or 7 o'clock position. It's the move straight back to 8 o'clock with the arms that I'm struggling to implement. It feels much more stuck than I feel comfortable being, but I can see that it's simply coiled and on plane. It actually bears no resemblance to my old whipped inside and then up and long 'backswing' effort that I spent a year fixing. 

To me, I just continue the backswing turn - if you can get to p3 then to p4 is just more pivot.    as a result the hands get higher and deeper.     then just up and back on an angle.

Can pause Monte's swing and see it here - after arms a 7 (p3) arms continue with pivot up and back on similar angle getting to 8 (p4).

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7jKw2tlgdP/

Enjoy every sandwich

51 minutes ago, glk said:

To me, I just continue the backswing turn - if you can get to p3 then to p4 is just more pivot.    as a result the hands get higher and deeper.     then just up and back on an angle.

Can pause Monte's swing and see it here - after arms a 7 (p3) arms continue with pivot up and back on similar angle getting to 8 (p4).

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7jKw2tlgdP/

Yes, this is what I've discovered. It's just deeper than i usually go. 

18 hours ago, glk said:

some vids 

Does the AMG Downhill move have a different name by any chance or do you know where they talk about it? I tried looking for it on their Youtube channel with no luck. This is a big gap in my swing, so I'm trying to find more explanations and drills for how to try to work on it. I understand the high level concept but not how to best go about doing it. I watched the AMG pressure video yesterday which was interesting. Maybe I'm overthinking this one aspect of NTC. The backswings and casts are no problem for me to grok from the video but the transition part is not for some reason...