Monte's new No Turn - Cast

• Replies 888
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Everyone doing this has been doing it for a week.  Ask a tour player how long it takes to fully implement a new concept.   How would you expect more than a general answer when the swing isn’

Well, you have to try a method to see if it works for you. Paying first...not a good sales approach.     I read the book and employed the swing of Brian Sparks’ free EasiestSwing.com approac

What may be a glitch or just something in the works is I'm not seeing a sponsors list on the latest version of the site, but have no doubt Monte is still with us as a sponsor and contributing!  

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, MonteScheinblum said:

There’s no reverse pivot.  

you sway your pelvis too much going back and through and that limits rotation.  

Thanks for the feedback - I was actually looking at this in the NTC videos; trying to get a better understanding of the rotation as a result/effect of a correct 'no turn' execution... will work on that!

Really enjoy the video and after view it highlights a feel that I struggle with I. My irons. Cast B is my challenge. Specifically it’s the transitioning from this Deep and Out move in the below video to the Cast B move. I can deliver the Deep and Out but I end up holding those positions to the follow through and end up with either a weak cut or smothering it left to prevent the right.

Any thoughts or suggestions on how to connect these two? Or perhaps should they be matched up at all?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZU2ptHFZD0

2 hours ago, ninothing said:

Really enjoy the video and after view it highlights a feel that I struggle with I. My irons. Cast B is my challenge. Specifically it’s the transitioning from this Deep and Out move in the below video to the Cast B move. I can deliver the Deep and Out but I end up holding those positions to the follow through and end up with either a weak cut or smothering it left to prevent the right.

Any thoughts or suggestions on how to connect these two? Or perhaps should they be matched up at all?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZU2ptHFZD0

Lots and lots of practice. Perhaps lots of left arm parallel swings where you can work on cast B. I've been doing that exclusively for three weeks due to lockdown.

I have been a fan of Monte's stuff for a while: I had my best ballstriking round earlier this year when I focused exclusively on NTC, so I was stoked to get this video and study the idea more comprehensively.

I was finally able to get to the range yesterday, and I'm all in on nNTC. This helps me shallow the club consistently, and I was getting impact sounds yesterday that I don't usually get. Also, I, a lifelong fader of the ball, was even getting a few small draws.

I've got a long way to go to really ingrain these techniques, but for me, the way this swing shallows the club is extremely useful. Thanks for a great video series, Monte.

• Like 1

@MonteScheinblum having trouble pulling shots.  I THINK the cause is clutching down with my left hand, thus shutting the face.  Sometimes during a practice swing, I stop at the impact position and the club face is shut.  I've played around with the grip to see if it changes anything, but I'm a little scared to try too much b/c other than that, I'm hitting pretty well with NTC.  Have you seen this happen?  Any thoughts?

3 hours ago, baumerj said:

@MonteScheinblum having trouble pulling shots.  I THINK the cause is clutching down with my left hand, thus shutting the face.  Sometimes during a practice swing, I stop at the impact position and the club face is shut.  I've played around with the grip to see if it changes anything, but I'm a little scared to try too much b/c other than that, I'm hitting pretty well with NTC.  Have you seen this happen?  Any thoughts?

Hard to say without seeing it.

I know the general principle of the NTC is to position the club correctly so the body reacts accordingly - and from the videos; in transition we want to delay the turn (to give us time), stay close and get to the lead side...

Now, for a guy that usually sway forward too much (with the correct intent of staying closed as long as possible and come from the inside), causing a stall and flip - when correcting this with the NTC transition - and since most of the downswing videos are related to both casts; are we to assume that body rotation is a correct reaction of the casts?

I'm asking because when practicing the drills (and thinking only about the casts) I feel like my body is staying 'relatively' closed (seems that the pushback on the lead hip is minimal with a lot of pressure on it) - probably means that I sway too much still right?... would practicing the cast drills with the lead foot only be recommanded? 

I realised last night that I was implementing the 7 o'clock position incorrectly, but was getting away with it because I've primarily been working on that length of swing with cast A until the range opened again today. 

I've been so focused on the flat left wrist after years of cupping, that I didn't realise that the butt of the club was pointing a little outside the ball. This kinda works for 7 o'clock, but when I went to the top of my backswing I felt cramped and flat. Getting that shaft up a little steeper has made a huge difference. 

I guess this shows how easy it is to have blind spots. 

Something about Monte I want to highlight.  I don't know if this is the thread to do it but I imagine there are lots of followers of him.

Not only is Monte a very good isntructor but he's also crystal clear about what he teaches.  It's very very hard to find a teacher who preaches what he does so enthusiastically and can demonstrate it the most honest way: by hitting the ball so well with the swing he teaches.  He reminds me of the only golf instructor I've ever had as a golfer.

I saw a couple of days ago the No turn/cast vid and it's full of tested content.  I've seen several times his Drive for Dough and Use the Bounce vids (the only golf teaching vids I've ever seen in my life) and if you see the three of them they are close connected and they make sense in the most fundamental aspects of the swing.  Loads of field/theoretical research behind them.

I've never seen Monte in my life save through his videos, but I'd definitely take lessons with a guy like him.  I'm sure he'd put me to hit bullets in no time.

Alex

PD: Monte's 7 to 8 backswing move is what my teacher does and teaches but he was never lucky with me LOL.

Edited by naval2006
  • Like 1

There is something unusual here (in my mind). I have had lessons from a half dozen instructors over the last 2 decades and when I was in my 60's played to a solid 5 index (in the summer). I never encountered the NTC moves or concept. My wrist was not bowed at the top or starting down, but that is where I was supposed to be at impact. Just how in the heck was this going to happen and the answer is it didn't happen. 

This (for me, anyway) really is a game changer. WHY have I never run into this before??? It isn't like it was not out there, but it was well hidden amongst tons of other stuff so was really hard to find. 

BTW, I cannot claim some kind of great game improvement so far as I no longer really work on my game (at least not like I used to). But I had been reduced to not playing (cannot count the number of times I was kind of 'waiting for this round to end') or abandoning full swings with most clubs. Now I know what to do and "it doesn't go away". Unlike so many other swing changes 'if it didn't work today then go back and do it correctly because it does work'. This is not a WOOD solution (Works Only One Day). 

I gotta wonder how I would have played had I understood this in my 60's. 

dave

@DaveLeeNC Gotta love the what if game 😀. I think the same kind of things in passing at times.

The odd pattern is still holding for me. My driver is much improved. I won't say I gained much distance because I have always hit the ball the distances I'm seeing at times, I just do it more often now. So my average driver distance is going up some because I'm getting rid of the duffs and very offline shots. My irons are a disaster though.  Play part of a 9 hole round last week, can't hit them at all. Play another 9 the next day and they are decent. Saturday rolls around and I play 18 and they are bad except for a span of 5 holes, lol. I am confident things will sort themselves out with some range time. There is a lot going on in NTC for me. At least three actions that I am not used to and I'm not athlete, so it doesn't come quickly.

Great stuff though and very well worth it. @naval2006 I agree with your sentiments.  Monte explains things in a way I can understand and I know it's correct. I like that he talks about ranges. He acknowledges that everyone is built different and will swing different, so as long as you are between X and Y, that's okay. Z however is not. I got Using the Bounce 1.0 when it first game out and became a believer in his teaching style. Granted I had seen some of his cargo shorts in a park youtube videos prior to that but UTB 1.0 is what sealed the deal for me. I have faith in him as a teacher, I know that sounds kinda odd but it's the best word I can think of.

First range session after lockdown, so the first opportunity to try cast A with a ball. The feel of the club shallowing early is GOOD. I have so much room to hit, but...  It doesn't feel as odd as I thought it would thanks to a lot of dry slow motion work, but the thing that I'm struggling to conceptualise is the bump and cast synchronisation. I'm so used to having one transition trigger/thought that having essentially two is confusing. 

Should I work solely on the squat before even thinking about cast A? I'm clearly not doing it correctly because even when I made solid contact the ball went nowhere. The flight was lovely but there's no zip at all so I'm not sequencing it correctly. I know it's the first session and I am in it for the long haul, but I'd like to know that I'm working correctly. 

Is this post useless without video, @MonteScheinblum

• Like 1
2 hours ago, TheDeanAbides said:

First range session after lockdown, so the first opportunity to try cast A with a ball. The feel of the club shallowing early is GOOD. I have so much room to hit, but...  It doesn't feel as odd as I thought it would thanks to a lot of dry slow motion work, but the thing that I'm struggling to conceptualise is the bump and cast synchronisation. I'm so used to having one transition trigger/thought that having essentially two is confusing. 

Should I work solely on the squat before even thinking about cast A? I'm clearly not doing it correctly because even when I made solid contact the ball went nowhere. The flight was lovely but there's no zip at all so I'm not sequencing it correctly. I know it's the first session and I am in it for the long haul, but I'd like to know that I'm working correctly. 

Is this post useless without video, @MonteScheinblum

Don't know if this helps, but Monte used to call the sequence starting from the top as "bump, dump, and turn."  The bump is the natural, athletic pressure shift that occurs prior to throwing or tossing a ball.  As long as that bump comes first, the timing of Cast A is probably going to be a matter of personal preference. 

Toward the end of the outdoor season, I tried doing an intentional "pause" at the top to ensure weight shift.  I'm a deep analytical, and I tend to speak and act slowly.  Yet, my golf swing has never matched my personality, and my motion from the top has always been hurried and OTT.  I've never really felt a pause at the bump.  But, I think it's something I want to work on this winter.

1 hour ago, games said:

Don't know if this helps, but Monte used to call the sequence starting from the top as "bump, dump, and turn."  The bump is the natural, athletic pressure shift that occurs prior to throwing or tossing a ball.  As long as that bump comes first, the timing of Cast A is probably going to be a matter of personal preference. 

Toward the end of the outdoor season, I tried doing an intentional "pause" at the top to ensure weight shift.  I'm a deep analytical, and I tend to speak and act slowly.  Yet, my golf swing has never matched my personality, and my motion from the top has always been hurried and OTT.  I've never really felt a pause at the bump.  But, I think it's something I want to work on this winter.

Food for thought - thanks. Perhaps I need to look at my current transition move and see if needs fixing first because I may just be complicating things unnecessarily. 

Anyone else having issues with a cupped lead wrist working up to the top of the backswing? If so, how did you overcome this, also, what are some common reasons I may be experiencing this?

Driver - Taylormade M2 2017 10.5*

5W - TaylorMade AeroBurner 18*

7W - Taylormade M4 5HL 21*

Irons - Taylormade P790 4-PW

GW - Taylormade Milled Grind 50/9

SW - Taylormade Milled Grind 54/11

LW - Taylormade Milled Grind 58/11

Putter - Taylormade Spider Tour Black

Grips - MMC +4 Black/Red | Ball - Project A

2 hours ago, macedan said:

Anyone else having issues with a cupped lead wrist working up to the top of the backswing? If so, how did you overcome this, also, what are some common reasons I may be experiencing this?

I don't know the relation to your grip. But I trained the cast A move with the bend wrist, without ball every evening in my living room for a month. Even without going to a swing. Now it is very easy and natural to perform during a full swing. It will feel a bit different in the beginning, but practice, practice and practice some more.

3 hours ago, macedan said:

Do you mean you're still cupping your wrist on the backswing rather than having a flat wrist?

If so you need to work on the drill Monte provided and then incorporate it in slow motion to the 7 o'clock point. 

9 hours ago, macedan said:

This is literally the first move he teaches. Not sure how you can get this wrong unless you don't try.

On 12/2/2020 at 9:03 AM, DaveLeeNC said:

There is something unusual here (in my mind). I have had lessons from a half dozen instructors over the last 2 decades and when I was in my 60's played to a solid 5 index (in the summer). I never encountered the NTC moves or concept. My wrist was not bowed at the top or starting down, but that is where I was supposed to be at impact. Just how in the heck was this going to happen and the answer is it didn't happen. 

This (for me, anyway) really is a game changer. WHY have I never run into this before??? It isn't like it was not out there, but it was well hidden amongst tons of other stuff so was really hard to find. 

BTW, I cannot claim some kind of great game improvement so far as I no longer really work on my game (at least not like I used to). But I had been reduced to not playing (cannot count the number of times I was kind of 'waiting for this round to end') or abandoning full swings with most clubs. Now I know what to do and "it doesn't go away". Unlike so many other swing changes 'if it didn't work today then go back and do it correctly because it does work'. This is not a WOOD solution (Works Only One Day). 

I gotta wonder how I would have played had I understood this in my 60's. 

dave

Tested is correct.  I still have a video of a drill which was essentially working on cast A from a clinic of Monte's in 2018. He said he was working through something he wasn't "teaching" yet so to speak, a bit of a different approach.  Then in '19 in the club basement in the rain and then outdoors, a lot of discussion about proper wrist movements/transition and that drill ended up in the last video series before NTC.  He evolves, learns, shares.

To the post just above yours, once presented with it I had also recalled Crossfield demonstrating how the wrists should work transition/downswing and doing some slo-mo demos in his living room/backyard in one video, then onto something else as he usually was in the successive ones.  He was still doing a kind of arms falling kind of thing vs. a cast as an intent if I recall and I think cast works better, anyway does for me, and is more dynamic - I've never gotten anywhere with the idea that your arms "fall" into "the slot" or whatever that idea is intended to convey.

Edited by Hawkeye77
8 hours ago, berndgeurts said:

I don't know the relation to your grip. But I trained the cast A move with the bend wrist, without ball every evening in my living room for a month. Even without going to a swing. Now it is very easy and natural to perform during a full swing. It will feel a bit different in the beginning, but practice, practice and practice some more.

I'm assuming some exaggeration is all that's needed, I do tend to play with a stronger grip, maybe a slightly weaker trail hand in relation to my lead hand. Seeing other responses, I understand the mentality of "how can you not possibly do this it's literally the first step" because it literally should be just that simple (hands to here, 90 deg., and flat lead wrist), but in all honesty Hands to 7 perplexes my body for whatever reason. I understand feel does not equal real, but I find myself feeling I am whipping inside again purposefully trying to achieve a flat lead wrist by lead arm parallel. 

Driver - Taylormade M2 2017 10.5*

5W - TaylorMade AeroBurner 18*

7W - Taylormade M4 5HL 21*

Irons - Taylormade P790 4-PW

GW - Taylormade Milled Grind 50/9

SW - Taylormade Milled Grind 54/11

LW - Taylormade Milled Grind 58/11

Putter - Taylormade Spider Tour Black

Grips - MMC +4 Black/Red | Ball - Project A