Monte's new No Turn - Cast

Hawkeye77

I think I've had another moment of clarity. I've been struggling for a few months now and looking over video of my swing compared to professionals and it looked like I was over rotating on my shoulders. It wasn't very obvious to me but I like to over analyze my swing. The club wasn't going back like John Daly but comparing video it looks like I'm turning my shoulders too much with the backswing compared to pro's.

So at first I try to stop my left shoulder from rotating past the ball, kind of shortening my swing. Immediately I feel like I have more control over the club and my arms. After some more experimenting it doesn't really need to be my left shoulder stopping but the feel that really works is that my arms and shoulders freely go to 8 o'clock on the backswing independently from my core and hips. Almost like the center of my chest stays at the ball but arms raise/rotate to the backswing. 

Before this, my backswing felt like a connected thing with my arms, core, shoulders, and hips all rotating with the backswing and the transition stayed together too. Is this a one piece golf swing?  With this new feel I have much more control of the club head and my arms and my downswing. I think this is obviously the No-Turn part of the whole thing and is probably very obvious to a lot of people. Even on video before and after it doesn't look obviously different, but my god, the difference in feel is huge. Is this a common feel for the backswing?

6 hours ago, DBLEAGLE said:

I’ve been using the NTC for my irons and it works really well but can’t hit my driver or fairways woods using the NTC. Haven’t purchased the video yet but plan to shortly. Does it mention anything about the driver swing in the video? 

The video series is way different to the old video. The short answer is that driver often takes time and you have to be patient. 

So I think I've had a moment of clarity as well, and hoping for a little confirmation. Up until now, I never really understood the difference between Cast A and Cast B, mostly because I think I was focusing my effort in the wrong phase of the swing. I always used all of my effort to try and max out at impact, trying to hit the ball. Which made NTC very difficult, since there was essentially no time to even think about cast B because everything had already started moving too quickly in act of performing cast A. 

Recently someone posted a clip from an old Tiger clinic where he said he feels all of his speed past impact. Just swinging a wedge in the living room and trying to feel "speed after impact", I purposefully was very slow and easy in trying cast A, which then it dawned on me. Cast B is that "speed after impact" feel for Tiger, Shawn Clement and other coaches' "throw the club to the target", and personally for my own feel is like I'm doing submarine-sidearm baseball pitch with a golf club. I haven't had a chance to actually try this out hitting balls (Chicago winter), but does all this rambling make sense? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Simpsonia said:

So I think I've had a moment of clarity as well, and hoping for a little confirmation. Up until now, I never really understood the difference between Cast A and Cast B, mostly because I think I was focusing my effort in the wrong phase of the swing. I always used all of my effort to try and max out at impact, trying to hit the ball. Which made NTC very difficult, since there was essentially no time to even think about cast B because everything had already started moving too quickly in act of performing cast A. 

Recently someone posted a clip from an old Tiger clinic where he said he feels all of his speed past impact. Just swinging a wedge in the living room and trying to feel "speed after impact", I purposefully was very slow and easy in trying cast A, which then it dawned on me. Cast B is that "speed after impact" feel for Tiger, Shawn Clement and other coaches' "throw the club to the target", and personally for my own feel is like I'm doing submarine-sidearm baseball pitch with a golf club. I haven't had a chance to actually try this out hitting balls (Chicago winter), but does all this rambling make sense? 

Makes sense.   Speed and forces are really too much to consciously do cast b - pretty much a reaction.    Can train it via single arm swing - if you arm swing and stall trail arm only it won’t be pretty.
I was a stall flipper and felt speed in my arms and thought to get speed in the arms one must really pull them - oh no.    As I progressed to a synch swing, pivot and arms, I noted my arms felt slow but ball go further.   FWP said this isn’t uncommon and Tyler recently talked about this In one of his forum posts.    Leads me to feel my arms are passive but not reality - they are just moving in better coordination with my body.

Chicago winter never stopped Larry lujack - guy would play in cowboy hat, in overalls and snowshoes, lol.

don’t miss it, btw

8C7461E4-26BD-416E-A771-3C77C873E856.jpeg.1e2fa642feacbaa6cf4cdaa0dc041bbe.jpeg

Edited by glk

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

4 hours ago, glk said:

Makes sense.   Speed and forces are really too much to consciously do cast b - pretty much a reaction.    Can train it via single arm swing - if you arm swing and stall trail arm only it won’t be pretty.
I was a stall flipper and felt speed in my arms and thought to get speed in the arms one must really pull them - oh no.    As I progressed to a synch swing, pivot and arms, I noted my arms felt slow but ball go further.   FWP said this isn’t uncommon and Tyler recently talked about this In one of his forum posts.    Leads me to feel my arms are passive but not reality - they are just moving in better coordination with my body.

Chicago winter never stopped Larry lujack - guy would play in cowboy hat, in overalls and snowshoes, lol.

don’t miss it, btw

8C7461E4-26BD-416E-A771-3C77C873E856.jpeg.1e2fa642feacbaa6cf4cdaa0dc041bbe.jpeg

In the summers I could pull WLS in on the AM in the pickup at my grandparents farm in SE Iowa so got my top 40 fix when I had no FM.  But at home or pretty much anywhere KAAY out of Arkansas was the cult classic AM station we would listen to at night driving around, or at home late at night when the really good stuff got played.

Edited by Hawkeye77

I downloaded this video during Covid quarantine and I could finally hit balls last week.  I found the two casts combined with correct weight transfer are a killing formula.  Played 9 holes on Friday and I didn't hit driver straight, mostly my left misses.  But I knew there was something out there.  You feel the clubhead working and it's as if the body follows that rhythm.

Yesterday I played at a neighbouring course and I hit driver really solid.  I only missed one fw and what's even more remarkable was my shots to the green.  That's always been a weakness.  Yesterday I hit solid straight shots like I hadn't done for about a year.  This TNC vid is worth every penny.  It's one way of swinging the club that will fit most people as long as you don't want to overcomplicate things.  

Probably you shouldn't expect a miracle because there's a lot of work to put on but If you want to accept  the challenge it's a road worth taking.  

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Max21 said:

Took some time off this for a little bit. Want to get back into it but I try and go slow and i can't stop either completely topping the ball or hitting a shank when I work on the cast moves. Any tips ? Feels like I am way past the ball when I work on adding flex into the lead knee as well.

Could be that you are not staying in left tilt long enough....If you right tilt too much or too early it's easy to shank or hit the top of the ball as you try to avoid chunking it.  Try taking the club to the top and pause...isolate the first cast to 8 o'clock and then swing down from there by feeling the lead should working down and around to the left.  It's very easy to try and feel the shallow by dropping the right shoulder but that is not what you want at all.  Right shoulder stays high and wrists only move club toward 8 which will feel very behind you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Driver: Sim2 with Ventus Blue 6x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: PXG 0317x 17* with Fuji Pro 2.0 85x
Irons: PXG 0211ST w/KBS Tour X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

3 hours ago, ferrispgm said:

Could be that you are not staying in left tilt long enough....If you right tilt too much or too early it's easy to shank or hit the top of the ball as you try to avoid chunking it.  Try taking the club to the top and pause...isolate the first cast to 8 o'clock and then swing down from there by feeling the lead should working down and around to the left.  It's very easy to try and feel the shallow by dropping the right shoulder but that is not what you want at all.  Right shoulder stays high and wrists only move club toward 8 which will feel very behind you.

VERY behind!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ferrispgm said:

This was very helpful thank you

• Like 1

Been working hard over the last month trying to perform cast A more with the wrists, as I was dropping right shoulder, elbow and arms to try and manufacture a shallow move. Also trying to keep left tilt a little bit longer coming down and turn my hips to avoid early extension. Been getting some great feedback on this thread so really appreciate the feedback!

First video (in garage) is beginning of Nov.  Second video is today. (had to cut it down for size)

• Like 2

10 hours ago, mjedwards409 said:

Been working hard over the last month trying to perform cast A more with the wrists, as I was dropping right shoulder, elbow and arms to try and manufacture a shallow move. Also trying to keep left tilt a little bit longer coming down and turn my hips to avoid early extension. Been getting some great feedback on this thread so really appreciate the feedback!

First video (in garage) is beginning of Nov.  Second video is today. (had to cut it down for size)

FullSizeRender.mov IMG_9704.MOV

That second swing looks great! 

I've been working on this for a few weeks and had a question.  When I do practice rehearsals in slow motion I do the separate cast A and cast B.  When I take an actual swing I do the cast A, but the cast B feels automatic.  Basically like a continuation of cast A.  Are others experiencing the same thing or do you feel a separate cast B towards 12 o'clock?

55 minutes ago, Mustu said:

I've been working on this for a few weeks and had a question.  When I do practice rehearsals in slow motion I do the separate cast A and cast B.  When I take an actual swing I do the cast A, but the cast B feels automatic.  Basically like a continuation of cast A.  Are others experiencing the same thing or do you feel a separate cast B towards 12 o'clock?

Yes, exact same thing.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mustu said:

This is ideal. Cast B is there for those who it doesn't happen naturally for as a result of cast A. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Golfbeat said:

Yes, exact same thing.

Same here.  Hard to imagine feeling the casts separately in the real swing for me. But important to practice both in the slow motion swing separately. I like “pumping” Cast A a few times (Cast A down, keep right shoulder high, back to the top, Cast A down again, etc.)  and then Cast B and finish the swing. I actually have been using that as a pre-shot routine with success.

Also, for me, it’s been important to point the handle at my left thigh through impact (stab the thigh) as I do Cast B to get the ball on the club properly. 

Having a go at this since I get into what Monte calls the ‘youre dead’ position. Found if I get rid of some wrist c0ck at the top it shallows out my transition, which I need, then try and just turn through, since it’s the only way to generate speed from there.. am I understanding this correctly? Am I on the right lines?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KiOm7CbhN0I

Edited by milesgiles
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, milesgiles said:

Having a go at this since I get into what Monte calls the ‘youre dead’ position. Found if I get rid of some wrist c0ck at the top it shallows out my transition, which I need, then try and just turn through, since it’s the only way to generate speed from there.. am I understanding this correctly? Am I on the right lines?

I would say you need to work on getting the left wrist flatter at left arm parallel backswing(7 o’clock) and when you hit the ball you raise your arms more rather than send them to 8 o’clock.

cast A isn’t there still have a cupped left wrist steep in transition and dropping right shoulder to soon. You shallow it after that but you can see why you get it a bit behind you( I do the same under and from the inside late on)

not an instructor so wait for other replies from those that are.

22 hours ago, milesgiles said:

Yes, definitely. Need to start with the first error which is the 7 o'clock position. I played with a noticeable cupped wrist too so that was the first thing I needed to change too. 

Actually, the first error is your setup posture with your backside sticking out. Monte's fundamentals series might help you there and explain why he wants to see your pelvis tucked under at address. 

2 hours ago, milesgiles said:

What clock are we on here? Not face on, must be top down? Can’t see an explanation in the thread?

Have you watched the NTC series? I'm guessing not from your post. It's really kinda essential to get the entire process correct, but to answer your question, 12 o'clock is the target, 9 o'clock is directly behind you. 

You need to get into the correct 7 o'clock position in the correct manner first. At the moment you have a loose idea of the cast, but not how to do it. You also don't have the no turn or no turn transition parts. Grab the series - it's cheap as chips. 

Edited by TheDeanAbides
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TheDeanAbides said:

Have you watched the NTC series? I'm guessing not from your post. It's really kinda essential to get the entire process correct, but to answer your question, 12 o'clock is the target, 9 o'clock is directly behind you. 

You need to get into the correct 7 o'clock position in the correct manner first. At the moment you have a loose idea of the cast, but not how to do it. You also don't have the no turn or no turn transition parts. Grab the series - it's cheap as chips. 

I’ve watched the free one and the zipper away and read a lot of this thread, so just trying to get my head around the concepts and if they are going to work for me. Nothing to do with the money I just want to keep it simple for the moment.. 

• Sad 2

34 minutes ago, milesgiles said:

I’ve watched the free one and the zipper away and read a lot of this thread, so just trying to get my head around the concepts and if they are going to work for me. Nothing to do with the money I just want to keep it simple for the moment.. 

The only way to keep it simple is to understand each step, fella. The series is the simplest whole swing instruction I've ever seen. Unless you have the steps in place and know why and how to move I don't think it's possible to judge effectively. 

The teaching has evolved a lot in the ten years since the free one. 🙂

Edit: if I'm being pushy I apologise. You do you. 

Edited by TheDeanAbides
  • Like 2

Been lurking around this thread since it was started. Purchased Efficient Swing over Thanksgiving and Finally grabbed NTC last night before the black friday deal expired. I love Monte's videos because I always pick up little nuggets to tweak my swing here and there. I had already been working on cast A for over a year now but cast B is something I need to incorporate as I am prone to handle dragging. Also, the 8pm position feels like my knockdown shot so that leads me to believe I have some arm overrun.  NTC teaches the modern swing in a very simplified way. I'm going to recommend it to my buddy who doesn't follow the latest trends in instruction.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, milesgiles said:

Get the video otherwise relying on ‘freebies’ from others will only confuse you and waste time, If the original NTC was enough a second wouldn’t have been needed. The new one is simple especially for someone like you who has spent time on here and has a low hdcp.

I mentioned posture to @milesgilesabove because I also had that common postural issue of sticking my backside out too far. I knew that pros tend to have their rear ends much closer to their heel line, but I couldn't understand how. The answer was right there in Monte's fundamentals series - a series I gave a cursory glance over because I always felt like I had that shiz nailed down (Ha!).

So I took the idea of tucking my tailbone under a little more alongside letting my arms be more relaxed at address to the range. Obviously it feels odd, but the results speak for themselves with even better striking and the feeling that I can swing harder than before. 

Slowly putting the pieces together. 

• Like 1