Monte's new No Turn - Cast

Hawkeye77

The thing I’ve always struggled the most is overswinging. Arms to far back.  Had been doing this for almost a year. Took a couple of lessons with pro at my club, never said anything so I went about comparing my swing in 2018 (great year) and 2020. Found out club upwards in backswing, no turning and a terrible inverted pivot.  

Several times guys I know at the driving range would offer the classic you should shorten your backswing tip. Nobody said how.  I watched John Rahm to try to figure out how to hit from such a top of the backswing position. It was impossible. Plus you can’t swing a driver like you swing the wedge in a 40 yard shot IRL, which is the buddy fix for overswinging LOL. 

Being quarantined and having figured out my weight shift issue I saw NTC vid and on the spot y felt how casts A and B

a. Make room for the hands to swing through and forward

b. Create extension

c. Create incredible balance

d. Make you “cover” the ball with your chest, which is serious ballstriking stuff

e. Make your hands finish high with a powerful finish, weight on your left heel which is rotated left as a result of high speed through the swing.

f. Make you swing through the ball with great speed and not a lot of effort.

g. Hit a decent shot even on thin or little fat shots.

This allowed me to swing back following NTC backswing idea to then apply the cast combo and feel so comfortable.

I’ve been playing this game for 35 years with some decent results. But if I had known this when I was younger I would have had a waaaaaay better amateur career.   So don’t give up if you’re still struggling with implementing it. An don’t overlook weight shift and rotation  which are the framework for the casts.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TheDeanAbides said:

Short range session today. Terrible. Pulled everything apart from those that I shanked. Terrible. Awful. 

What does it mean? Nothing at all. 

Best lesson I ever got from Monte is to think long-term and forget about a bad session. Just keep working. 

Same thing happened to me. Started off hitting it really well but than I started hitting huge pulls with a few shanks sprinkle in there. Filmed a few swings. Seems like if I focus exclusively on arm movements in the backswing my hips do not turn at all. I'm pretty flexible and suspect I can get to the 8 position with very minimal hip turn.  Getting good extension in the backswing has always been an issue I've had to monitor so thinking no turn may not be optimal "for me".

• Like 1

There’s this part in the video where Monte is doing a “review” and his dialog is something like, we went to here, then to here, to here, then here...and now the second cast.  And when he is saying to “here” there is this mini pause before the next step.

I bring this up because it is really important you sequence this correctly, and get a feel/pause...otherwise, one part out of sequence, or short changed, and for me, ball goes left.  It is usually when I do not do that shift at the top quite long enough, or I did it too early, which leads to the wrist flexion not happening soon enough, and bam, left it goes.

So when I see this on the range, I back off for a little and do some rehearsals, go here (7) to here (8), here (bump), here (flexion), here (cast A) then here (rotate as I do cast B).  Then back to a ball and just get sequence in order without trying to hit the ball with speed.  A few of those and then start to add the speed, so it all blends.

I did find one scenario where NTC met its demise, but then any swing would fall apart under the conditions I played in yesterday - 35* temp!  The day before, striping it on the range and thinking I need to get a round in, I can feel a great score ready to happen.  Grabbed the 2nd tee time of the morning, it was way too cold, could not feel my f’n hands.  What a mess for the front 9!  Par on the first hole and 8 straight bogeys!  Back 9 though was on track, it helped the course was on the short side - even par.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, naj959 said:

Same thing happened to me. Started off hitting it really well but than I started hitting huge pulls with a few shanks sprinkle in there. Filmed a few swings. Seems like if I focus exclusively on arm movements in the backswing my hips do not turn at all. I'm pretty flexible and suspect I can get to the 8 position with very minimal hip turn.  Getting good extension in the backswing has always been an issue I've had to monitor so thinking no turn may not be optimal "for me".

I'll look at it on video if it happens again, but I think it was down to having more going on - changes to set-up alongside swing changes. 

• Like 1

Same here with some balls to the left  I hit especially with driver.  The thing is I'm hitting very good drives but the straight ball to the left pops up unannounced once or twice during a round and I don't feel anything different from what I do the rest of the round.   Feel isn't a good measure so  I can't still figure out why the ball straight left.  I'm starting to think it is a weight shift issue too.   

Driver pulls (and pulls in general) are a sequencing issue.  Cast A has to occur before the shoulders start to turn.

For me, I feel like my shoulder turn is uncontrollable.  I can't stop it.  So I play this Jedi mind trick:

Cast A and shoulder turn are in a race.  

I want Cast A to beat shoulder turn "off the line."

At the top, after I bump, I dump Cast A hard and fast, before my shoulders have a chance to turn.

Done right, shoulders turn late and ball go far. 

Shoulders turn early and its "Fore left!"

Unless, I double down on stupid, and try to keep the face open to prevent left, in which case the ball goes right of Limbaugh...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, games said:

Driver pulls (and pulls in general) are a sequencing issue.  Cast A has to occur before the shoulders start to turn.

For me, I feel like my shoulder turn is uncontrollable.  I can't stop it.  So I play this Jedi mind trick:

Cast A and shoulder turn are in a race.  

I want Cast A to beat shoulder turn "off the line."

At the top, after I bump, I dump Cast A hard and fast, before my shoulders have a chance to turn.

Done right, shoulders turn late and ball go far. 

Shoulders turn early and its "Fore left!"

Unless, I double down on stupid, and try to keep the face open to prevent left, in which case the ball goes right of Limbaugh...

That makes perfect sense. I think the pulls started happening when I started trying to increase speed, and doing that the correct way is a habit I'm not accustomed to yet. 

Edit: also because cast A doesn't yet feel like a powerful move to me, so I'm unconsciously trying to get the body involved. 

Edited by TheDeanAbides
  • Like 1

@games Interesting about the pulls. My driver had been a very reliable fade using NTC until last week. Pulls have crept in and I am blaming the fact I have not been to the range in a couple of weeks to work on it. I had been getting in 1, maybe 2, range sessions a week and it really helped my driver swing even though i never use it on the range. My NTC drills are with a wedge and short iron.

• Like 1

I bought this a few weeks ago and really like it.  But it feels there is too much to remember, or do, compared to the original video.  The things I can feel are lifting the club until my left arm feels parallel to the ground, then smoothly casting the club to 8 o’clock, and then I’m finished.  I never feel the bowing of the wrist nor the cast B, once I’ve started the first cast next thing I know, I’m all done.

As long as I’m deliberate with the first cast, rather than in a hurry, I hit it nice enough, and with that feeling of the ball firing off the clubface.

Or maybe that’s how it’s meant to be?

Edited by Joe40

Went away from this for a while before seeing Monte's "Get the chin off the shoulder" post on Insta.  It really helped me to think about getting the arms down, which led me back here.  

After watching myself on video -it was pretty clear that the "shrugged" shoulder look that I get on bad swings - and HATE - was due to slow arms - and this helped a ton.

More kudos for Monte!

• Like 1

OG Stealth Graphite Design Ventus Blue TR 60X

Ping 425 Max Hotmelted Tensei Orange 1k

Titleist T100, Project X LS 6.5

Epic 3w/5w/4h - Tour AD-DI

Wedgeworks SM8 55.13D / SM9 60.08M

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

5 minutes ago, MysteryV said:

Went away from this for a while before seeing Monte's "Get the chin off the shoulder" post on Insta.  It really helped me to think about getting the arms down, which led me back here.  

After watching myself on video -it was pretty clear that the "shrugged" shoulder look that I get on bad swings - and HATE - was due to slow arms - and this helped a ton.

More kudos for Monte!

It's almost like he knows what he's talking about!

Anyone feel like they start shaking when you try the 8 position? I feel like my limited mobility is really hindering me. 

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with Ventus Black 6x 44.5"

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Srixon Z-star XV

I'm a newbie to trying NTC, and am going through all the videos, but it's promising at the range so far.  I gotta believe the comparison has been made already, but to me it's like a Fred Couples motion, which is a great one to envision! 

D1 Cobra LTDx, OG HZ Black 62 6.5 D2 TM R510TP, 757X 3W OG Ping Rapture, OG HZ Black 75 6.0 20°H Ping G20, CTLX 5I Cobra F9, CTLX 5I-PW Mizuno MP-54, CTLX GW Nike VPC, V120X 54, 60 CBX Zipcore, V120X Cure RX4, CX3. WITB Link. CAD Designs on IG @joostin.golf

15 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

A question: what are we supposed to rotate with after performing cast A? I'm asking because I have no speed at all - I feel like the AoA and path are much shallower and more in to out, but I'm 1.5 - 2 clubs shorter. I know that can't be right. 

You can try the only cast B drill in the videos. It's a hand motion and body will follow naturally.

I have a question about the Cast A Drill.

From the top (at about 1:32 mark of the drill video) Monte says to "flex the wrist," but it looks like he is ulnar deviating his left wrist.  He talks about ulnar deviation elsewhere in the video; flexion would be bending the wrist in the direction of the palm.  

Is the correct move in Cast A ulnar deviation, flexion, or a combination?  TIA

3 minutes ago, tm3 said:

I have a question about the Cast A Drill.

From the top (at about 1:32 mark of the drill video) Monte says to "flex the wrist," but it looks like he is ulnar deviating his left wrist.  He talks about ulnar deviation elsewhere in the video; flexion would be bending the wrist in the direction of the palm.  

Is the correct move in Cast A ulnar deviation, flexion, or a combination?  TIA

A combination. 

• Like 1

Bought the videos, they are great as was the original, it's the first drill or swing thought that actually felt a lot different and looked completely different (for the better on camera).

I took to the range today and initially tried to 'place' the club into the 8 o'clock cast and then swing through - this absolutely didn't work. It just resulted in my hands and arms dropping (which has always been the case when I've tried to shallow in transition). When I tried to cast it (more aggressively at 8 o'clock this worked much much better, I was probably straightening my right elbow when doing this which is wrong I think? But, nevertheless, it actually felt like I was doing and feeling something different at the top of my swing and felt like I was speeding up through impact, rather than holding off, which I don't think has happened on any other video.

I'm also spinning out the hips too early but I'm worried about combining this with the flexion of the left knee - As soon as I start thinking about my legs in the golf swing I end up swaying. Anyone here with a tendency to sway too far left and not stay back on the ball tried the left leg flex with any success?

1 hour ago, rballantyne1 said:

Bought the videos, they are great as was the original, it's the first drill or swing thought that actually felt a lot different and looked completely different (for the better on camera).

I took to the range today and initially tried to 'place' the club into the 8 o'clock cast and then swing through - this absolutely didn't work. It just resulted in my hands and arms dropping (which has always been the case when I've tried to shallow in transition). When I tried to cast it (more aggressively at 8 o'clock this worked much much better, I was probably straightening my right elbow when doing this which is wrong I think? But, nevertheless, it actually felt like I was doing and feeling something different at the top of my swing and felt like I was speeding up through impact, rather than holding off, which I don't think has happened on any other video.

I'm also spinning out the hips too early but I'm worried about combining this with the flexion of the left knee - As soon as I start thinking about my legs in the golf swing I end up swaying. Anyone here with a tendency to sway too far left and not stay back on the ball tried the left leg flex with any success?

You definitely want your trail elbow to straighten. There's an old thread with iteach talking about how you can't straighten the right elbow too early, and AMG has measured tour pros straightening their trail elbows and continuing to straighten from the very start of the downswing. 

59 minutes ago, Simpsonia said:

You definitely want your trail elbow to straighten. There's an old thread with iteach talking about how you can't straighten the right elbow too early, and AMG has measured tour pros straightening their trail elbows and continuing to straighten from the very start of the downswing. 

Oh really, that's interesting. So that initial 8 o'clock cast is with the writs and also the right elbow straightening too then?

1 hour ago, rballantyne1 said:

Oh really, that's interesting. So that initial 8 o'clock cast is with the writs and also the right elbow straightening too then?

It’s actually quite hard to do the cast without straightening the right arm tbh. The hard part is not letting the right shoulder help you out by dropping it. 

Cast and arms shallow, pivot(shoulder hip knee ) steepens.  It was a lightbulb moment for me. I spent ages getting shallow with the arms but I got too under. 

P6 I was always to inside so I broke down the video. From top do cast only no movement of anything else, stop then I brought the left shoulder down and around, clubs pops out into a great p 6 position, hips open chest pretty square. Feels odd just need to blend them together. Hard at full speed one of the movements takes over. 

Edited by Hilts1969

2 hours ago, rballantyne1 said:

This may help you visualize it better.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIRY1WoliAE/

Edited by glk

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

24 minutes ago, Hilts1969 said:

It’s actually quite hard to do the cast without straightening the right arm tbh. The hard part is not letting the right shoulder help you out by dropping it. 

Cast and arms shallow, pivot(shoulder hip knee ) steepens.  It was a lightbulb moment for me. I spent ages getting shallow with the arms but I got too under. 

P6 I was always to inside so I broke down the video. From top do cast only no movement of anything else, stop then I brought the left shoulder down and around, clubs pops out into a great p 6 position, hips open chest pretty square. Feels odd just need to blend them together. Hard at full speed one of the movements takes over. 

Ah, this is exactly what I'm doing. I couldn't work it out as it kind of looked like I was rerouting abit but I'm definitely dropping the right elbow which is then meaning I'm standing up a bit at impact. This results in me blocking it out to the right or a strong draw rather than a straight shot.

What do you mean the pivot steepens? 

I've just had ago at what you've said and it makes sense very slow. To me it feels like I'm rotating the shoulders more level than what I'm doing at the moment which feels like I'm bumping my hips, upper body staying back and right shoulder dropping?

Edited by rballantyne1