Monte's new No Turn - Cast

Hawkeye77

9 hours ago, Hilts1969 said:

It’s actually quite hard to do the cast without straightening the right arm tbh. The hard part is not letting the right shoulder help you out by dropping it.

This is the key move for me.  Although I don’t think about the elbow or the arm straightening per se, I think about my hands going straight down and low.  Same result.  As noted about, the badmove is dipping the right shoulder which causes a fat shot for me. Practicing the hands straight down for Cast A (right arm straightening) makes the difference between a good and bad swing.

12 hours ago, rballantyne1 said:

Thanks this makes sense, glad it's actually right as contact was great. Just need to work on what it feels like to 'rotate' correctly rather than my usual hip bump, drop of right shoulder etc.

Interesting, going to have a fiddle with this idea, sounds like we have the same issue

However, just compared my right elbow to any tour swing, and they all keep that flex very late.. I’ll report back..

Great example of the shift/rotate/shift/rotate pattern.    Real noticeable how he moves laterally off ball to start the swing and then shifts laterally back while at the top and just starting down.  Watch his head/upper body relative to the palm tree.   Lots of focus on the arm cast  but this movement is also an essential piece of NTC.     And heck, as Dana commented that’s why he pounds it - let’s all order this up for the new year, lol.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJdl6fICtch/

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_WFsP2FW_q/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CH291MeBcAE/

Last but not least

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_SXD4MFBJ7/

Edited by glk
  • Like 2

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

Go to tab to see a massive version of the shift/rotate/shift/pattern

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHWPssohnvS/

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

19 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

I'd like to see him really open up on one...

Yeah laying up isn’t a good look.

one last one.   Recall when Lydia ko seemed to be winning every week but was a short hitter and lead better put her on a dose of the a swing to gain length - and turned her into a middling lpga pro.   Well Sean Foley seems to have gotten Lydia that length and she took a small step forward in this COVID shortened season.   Up to 104 driver with that move.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHjP_a6h8ei/

should note as clubs get shorter this move off the ball is reduced.

Edited by glk
  • Like 3

Enjoy every sandwich

#kwonified

12 minutes ago, glk said:

Yeah laying up isn’t a good look.

one last one.   Recall when Lydia ko seemed to be winning every week but was a short hitter and lead better put her on a dose of the a swing to gain length - and turned her into a middling lpga pro.   Well Sean Foley seems to have gotten Lydia that length and she took a small step forward in this COVID shortened season.   Up to 104 driver with that move.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHjP_a6h8ei/

should note as clubs get shorter this move off the ball is reduced.

Led poisoning.  Some never recover.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 12/30/2020 at 8:37 PM, rballantyne1 said:

Ah, this is exactly what I'm doing. I couldn't work it out as it kind of looked like I was rerouting abit but I'm definitely dropping the right elbow which is then meaning I'm standing up a bit at impact. This results in me blocking it out to the right or a strong draw rather than a straight shot.

What do you mean the pivot steepens? 

I've just had ago at what you've said and it makes sense very slow. To me it feels like I'm rotating the shoulders more level than what I'm doing at the moment which feels like I'm bumping my hips, upper body staying back and right shoulder dropping?

Feels are individual really I feel left shoulder goes down and forward but because it’s low anyhow it forces it around as well. Right shoulder stays higher a little longer . The shoulders will level out just a bit later.  Your backside should pop backwards and left hip rotates away from target line naturally. 

If you put a ball down for reference from the top doing the pivot only you will notice a steeper shaft and you will notice the path and clubface would result in a big pull hook 

if you do the cast with the wrists only and no pivot you will notice the path and clubface would result in a push slice.

as someone who spent loads of time shallowing with the wrists arms and right shoulder my pivot is very poor.  Blending the two movements is hard and I give in too easily. Mustn’t deviate this time .

I would be remiss to not include this one further example of shift/rotate/shift/rotate.   And to boot , you can tick off all the things monte the listed in his chasing thread.     Kyle Berkshire of the early 90s or is  Kyle monte of 2020

Edited by glk
  • Like 1

Enjoy every sandwich

#kwonified

38 minutes ago, Hilts1969 said:

Feels are individual really I feel left shoulder goes down and forward but because it’s low anyhow it forces it around as well. Right shoulder stays higher a little longer . The shoulders will level out just a bit later.  Your backside should pop backwards and left hip rotates away from target line naturally. 

If you put a ball down for reference from the top doing the pivot only you will notice a steeper shaft and you will notice the path and clubface would result in a big pull hook 

if you do the cast with the wrists only and no pivot you will notice the path and clubface would result in a push slice.

as someone who spent loads of time shallowing with the wrists arms and right shoulder my pivot is very poor.  Blending the two movements is hard and I give in too easily. Mustn’t deviate this time .

I was effectively getting the push slice when I was doing the cast only. (although it was more of a push draw so maybe I was compensating with the wrong kind of wrist movements to close the face).

When I do the cast 'correctly' it feels like I'm basically long arming it (especially with my right elbow) at impact.

Finding it almost impossible to get the feel for the proper pivot, the Malaska video on how to move the hips clears my understanding up massively. I can do that in isolation but I'm still really struggling to combine these two movements. Probably as I'm trying to smash the hell out of it.

Yup I feel you, every fibre of my body just wants to shallow with the right shoulder. Next time at the range I'm going to really dial it down, it feels awful at the moment but that's a good thing, anything other than awful probably means there's not much of a change.

Edited by rballantyne1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, rballantyne1 said:

I was effectively getting the push slice when I was doing the cast only. (although it was more of a push draw so maybe I was compensating with the wrong kind of wrist movements to close the face).

When I do the cast 'correctly' it feels like I'm basically long arming it (especially with my right elbow) at impact.

Finding it almost impossible to get the feel for the proper pivot, the Malaska video on how to move the hips clears my understanding up massively. I can do that in isolation but I'm still really struggling to combine these two movements. Probably as I'm trying to smash the hell out of it.

Yup I feel you, every fibre of my body just wants to shallow with the right shoulder. Next time at the range I'm going to really dial it down, it feels awful at the moment but that's a good thing, anything other than awful probably means there's not much of a change.

It's tough but even though Monte says it takes time put that ball in front of us and the urge to just hit it like we have always done and not make a fool of ourselves is strong. 

A feeling I have in transition is the clubhead and left shoulder get as far away from each other as possible. From a front on view if you are facing north.

The shoulder goes north west 

The clubhead(or wrists) go south east 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hilts1969 said:

It's tough but even though Monte says it takes time put that ball in front of us and the urge to just hit it like we have always done and not make a fool of ourselves is strong. 

A feeling I have in transition is the clubhead and left shoulder get as far away from each other as possible. From a front on view if you are facing north.

The shoulder goes north west 

The clubhead(or wrists) go south east 

I like that thought. One thing I'm still not sure on - should it just be the wrists that go south east or the arms too? ... My guess is just the wrists as the arms might get stuck otherwise?

Hoping to go to the range and try this tomorrow, going to exaggerate and not worry about the pivot hopefully it causes the push slice and then I can work on the pivot from there

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, rballantyne1 said:

I like that thought. One thing I'm still not sure on - should it just be the wrists that go south east or the arms too? ... My guess is just the wrists as the arms might get stuck otherwise?

Hoping to go to the range and try this tomorrow, going to exaggerate and not worry about the pivot hopefully it causes the push slice and then I can work on the pivot from there

The movements you are asking about are addressed in the video as "Cast A."

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, rballantyne1 said:

Your arms will move automatically the intent is to just move the wrists and obviously the left shoulder. It’s all over that quickly thinking of two things is hard enough. It will feel a bit weird doing it which is a good give away when hitting balls. 

Personally I find the shoulder move easier to do but often fail to move the wrists correctly, years of pulling on the handle. If I’m steep then under I know I haven’t moved the wrists correctly from the top. It’s much easier if you pause at the top. 

Monte shows it in his drill for cast A 

I'm out in PHX taking lessons as I couldn't get to Monte this time around.  But, if anyone needs validation of NTC and Monte, this is a photo of me one year ago on the left and a photo of my yesterday.  I attribute the change to understanding the proper direction for Cast A in the new NTC videos. 

If you're an OTT hack, you are one proper swing thought away from being a decent player.  Or, at least looking like one.

image.png.1900d02d8821460e45085e1bda4c794d.png

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, games said:

I'm out in PHX taking lessons as I couldn't get to Monte this time around.  But, if anyone needs validation of NTC and Monte, this is a photo of me one year ago on the left and a photo of my yesterday.  I attribute the change to understanding the proper direction for Cast A in the new NTC videos. 

If you're an OTT hack, you are one proper swing thought away from being a decent player.  Or, at least looking like one.

image.png.1900d02d8821460e45085e1bda4c794d.png

So have discussions about NTC been a part of the coaching sessions out there either directly or indirectly?  Just curious how the other person is framing the issue for you in the context of what you've been working no.  Looks great!

• Thanks 1

@Hawkeye77  Thank you!  First, Jeremy Anderson (my coach here in PHX) gets credit for the "at the top" position in my avatar which I worked on after my January 2020 sessions with him.  

This year, before we started, I told Jeremy he should see a marked improvement in the swing, as a result of light bulbs flashing from Monte's NTC videos.  Jeremy's caption to the video where the P6 shots are from was "Huge Progress."

Jeremy said he tried getting me to do Cast A last year using different terminology and concepts.  And, he did!  They just didn't resonate the way NTC did.  I'll discuss more in my swing thread...

• Like 2

Noticed on video that I was finally seeing the hands on my right shoulder at P2 - instead of too deep - and the club shallowing a little in transition 

Very happy

But also noticed that I did not have any shaft lean at impact - so I'm working on throwing in some zipper away in transition  - hopefully that will help as I think I was still goat humping a bit

We shall see

7 hours ago, Weetbix said:

You're lifting your head in the backswing and then getting really stuck coming back down because you don't appear to have enough room for your arms. Take a look at where your right elbow is and your left arm. 

Hopefully someone better qualified than me will pipe up, but I think you need to work on your transition and getting more width by straightening your right arm from the top. You're sucking your arms into your torso instead. 

The right arm needs to be straightening quicker and your left arm needs to get off your chest, which it can't do if you don't have a bit more "No Turn" in the transition. 

stuck.jpg

Edited by TheDeanAbides
  • Like 1