Monte's new No Turn - Cast

Hawkeye77

22 hours ago, flipmode said:

I suck so sorry for the dumb question...how does this translate to 50 yard pitch shots? Can I use this for those shots?

Not a dumb question. In my opinion, based on the original no-turn-cast youtube video, I am money on the pitch shots because of this. From 130 yards in, I use the no turn cast swing, place the ball slightly behind my belt, and club up one, and it stops on a dime. 

For 50 yard shot, I don't know your distances you gotta test it out, but I can't imagine a more repeatable swing. 

Got to the range today. Not bad for a first day. Had some very solid strikes and some decent shots with the driver. Misses were pushes with the iron and slices and pushes with the driver. I did have a couple duck hooks with the driver too but that was just trying to kill the ball. All in all I'm very excited to keep working on it.

It's seems like a total 180 with what I was doing with Mike Malaska for the past 2 years. I've had some very good rounds with his swing but recently have been getting steep with his swing so I wanted to take a different route. How do you guys compare this to Malaska's theory on the downswing where he tips the club? 

Ping K15 driver
Ping G10 3, 4, 5 hybrids
Ping G15 irons
Cameron Newport, Ping Anser 3
Titleist Vokey 50* 54* wedges

Good videos. I think that it is important to really focus on keeping the back swing steep and hinged up. I see a danger that people will put all their focus on the shallowing part and will put the club already there in the back swing when practicing. That won't work. So keep that back swing steep and hinged up at all times as a priority and only then shallow.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Pretty darn impress with this whole thing - as someone who was always focused on trying to get my body to help shallow it I would always end up getting ahead and having to steepen the shaft late.

Question about Cast B - 8 to 12: is anyone else finding that they are getting heel digging with this move causing heavy-ish shots? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sabzor said:

Pretty darn impress with this whole thing - as someone who was always focused on trying to get my body to help shallow it I would always end up getting ahead and having to steepen the shaft late.

Question about Cast B - 8 to 12: is anyone else finding that they are getting heel digging with this move causing heavy-ish shots? 

I had problems doing the drill for Cast B.  Part was how far I was standing from the ball.  Part was not using the wrists the way Monte prescribes in the instructional video for that part of the swing.  Like Monte said, it's a drill and dinks and doinks are going to happen.

Zomg, messed around with this on my local 9 hole muni this morning and I'm finally able to do the motorcycle move correctly.  Just happens naturally if you are anywhere in the ballpark of getting the wrist set correctly going back then shift, cast, cast.  Then can just ingrain and replicate that feel!  No matter how badly I screwed up the rest of the swing, the ball was online for the green everytime with irons (driver is a different story, lol).  Even on a couple of super ugly swings it was just a thin straight shot 10-15% short.

Edited by ohakim82

one question on the video. The second cast (b) should "feel" like it is done immediately? I think im on the right track. After using that feel, where its almost like im casting to the right of my body and not in front of me at p6, it seemed to click. Even though it feels like im flipping behind me, because of the speed of my arms, my hands are in front of me at p6 and im synched up (on video) even if it doesn't feel like that. 

Edited by BogeyBrian

Ping 425 Max 10.5//Tensei AV Orange 65g Xstiff

Ping 425 Max 5 Wood//Tensei AV Orange 75 g Xstiff

Ping i210 Irons (3-PW)//DG X100

Ping Glide 3.0 52//56//60

TaylorMade Spider X Copper 

47 minutes ago, BogeyBrian said:

one question on the video. The second cast (b) should "feel" like it is done immediately? I think im on the right track. After using that feel, where its almost like im casting to the right of my body and not in front of me at p6, it seemed to click. Even though it feels like im flipping behind me, because of the speed of my arms, my hands are in front of me at p6 and im synched up (on video) even if it doesn't feel like that. 

For me so far, I get better results when imagining the 2nd cast along the 12 o'clock line (meaning the line from 6 o'clock to 12 o'clock) rather than directly to 12 o'clock.  But at this stage, I like to do the casts (and other steps) on practice swings then forget about the details and just try to replicate that feel on real swings that are a little sped up so that may be why.

Edited by ohakim82
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BogeyBrian said:

Basically immediately. I think that it is similar to what Steve Pratt says in this video. Not completely sure about the exact wrist action though in the second throw. Sometimes I think it is the forearms turning over and other times just the wrists flapping. Not sure whether this makes sense.

Edited by Golfbeat

another question! what keeps the shoulder turn from flattening too much on the backswing from 7 to 8? and for that matter, what about the backswing  and proper wrist movements puts your shoulders on the proper tilt and not to flat a turn? im curious more than anything

thanks!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Ping 425 Max 10.5//Tensei AV Orange 65g Xstiff

Ping 425 Max 5 Wood//Tensei AV Orange 75 g Xstiff

Ping i210 Irons (3-PW)//DG X100

Ping Glide 3.0 52//56//60

TaylorMade Spider X Copper 

6 hours ago, Golfbeat said:

Basically immediately. I think that it is similar to what Steve Pratt says in this video. Not completely sure about the exact wrist action though in the second throw. Sometimes I think it is the forearms turning over and other times just the wrists flapping. Not sure whether this makes sense.

Doesn’t seem to be anything relevant to no turn cast in that video at all, still not sure I even have figured out what the guy is getting at other than me buying his “speed whoosh”, but please don’t explain it.  

Edited by Hawkeye77

3 hours ago, CasualLie said:

Both methods are essentially trying to accomplish the same thing, getting the club to come in to impact shallow, but describing it in different ways.  Some people resonate with one more than the other.  

Pretty sure Malaska stresses over and over again, the "tipping" of the club is a feel, not what you actually do.  And if you watch any of his swings in slower speed, he is not "tipping".  That "feel" part is where it can get dicey for some because the more you try to get into a certain position you see from a static point of view, the more you try to manipulate this "tipping", you lose the dynamic fluidity of the swing.  A "feel" of tipping the club while not disturbing the rest of the flow / concepts of other parts of the swing is what helps you shallow, but I can see how you any practice at speed or playing with a swing thought too heavy on "tipping" is going to get you steep.

I think what makes the Monte's video so golden is that it breaks down the moves into a sequence to work on, but none of them are really exaggerations, so you can just focus in his sequence and you have a swing.  But with Malaska, the AMG guys, and others, you need to piece together multiple videos showing distinct areas of the swing, work on them individually as exaggerations, then bring it all together.  While they are very accurate, that's tough to do.

Another example, look at the IG posts from AMG breaking down what Tour Pros do.  It's totally accurate, there is really no debating what they are telling you what happens in a good swing.  So forget about the shaft plane for a moment, just work on pressure shifts and pivot the way they tell you.  There is a video on going off the ball to shaft parallel, there's what to do from shaft parallel to arm parallel, there's changes in shift/pressure from arm parallel to top, and then another feel to nail down as you transition to shaft arm parallel again.  Totally accurate, work on this and nail it will do a lot for your swing.  Follow what they say and take a video from face on.  Take a screen grab when you are just past left arm parallel.  In comparison, follow Monte's video and get to just past left arm parallel (8:00), take a screen grab.  Remember this is a no-turn drill, so you were not supposed to be thinking anything about turn, just get to 8:00 like he shows. 

Compare your two screen grabs.  I bet they are very close to each other in position.  One is a much more technical approach, the other the yellow dummies book version (that's a compliment Monte!).  Again, different approaches speak to different learners.  Neither one is wrong, you just need to find what resonates with you.  Malaska is just another version of the same principles but in a "language" that may or may not resonate with you.

And you may also find, all three in this example (Monte, Malaska, AMG) can resonate with one person just at different times for different areas of the swing.  You could nail down Monte's no turn cast move, start getting better impact, but then you may find your shift is not quite right; it needs some fine-tuning.  The AMG guys can show you in a very pinpointed way when that shift needs to happen, and Malaska can show you the move to get you there, then back to Monte...or just stick with one person.  Being a good golf student is just as hard as being a good golf instructor.

Thanks so much for that response! I'm definitely in the yellow book for dummies club LOL ive been working on this move non stop since I got the video...I literally have been in Zoom meetings with the camera turned off and a golf club in my hands practicing the no turn cast lol

Great job Monte!

Ping K15 driver
Ping G10 3, 4, 5 hybrids
Ping G15 irons
Cameron Newport, Ping Anser 3
Titleist Vokey 50* 54* wedges

1 hour ago, Hawkeye77 said:

Doesn’t seem to be anything relevant to no turn cast in that video at all, still not sure I even have figured out what the guy is getting at other than me buying his “speed whoosh”, but please don’t explain it.  

Read the first reply in this thread. Maybe it makes it more clear. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BogeyBrian said:

another question! what keeps the shoulder turn from flattening too much on the backswing from 7 to 8? and for that matter, what about the backswing  and proper wrist movements puts your shoulders on the proper tilt and not to flat a turn? im curious more than anything

thanks!!!!!!!

I wondered the same thing because it felt flat from 7 to 8. Then I did it in the mirror and it wasn't flat. I was basically in the same spot as my normal backswing. Realized that my shoulders are already tilting more than I thought when I go back to 7.

• Like 1

I think what Monty is explaining here is excellent!  What was very interesting to me is that if I follow my backswing 7 to 8, then cast to 8 then 12, I was getting a pretty severe overdraw.  If I feel like I am hinging at 6, then cast inside to as close to 8 as I can, then out to 1, I am getting much better results.  I guess it all depends on where each individual feels their positions are to start with and the idea of casting the club back inside relative to that.

• Thanks 1

I took it to the range for the first time last night and then played 9 holes with it this morning, just concentrating really hard on the cast movement and not getting too caught up in results.

Contact and quality of ball-striking was, for the most part, fantastic given it's still a pretty new feeling for me.

Main thing that I think is going to take time is figuring out the proper wrist flexion and keeping the clubface square when I make the cast, especially with longer clubs. Had a few driver swings where I obviously didn't 'rev the engine' while casting and left the face WIDE open. It's definitely a strange feeling for me trying to combine that ulnar deviation while at the same time making sure I flex my lead wrist, but when I perform the move correctly, the contact and shot shaping was really great.

Just gotta keep dialing it in!

• Like 1

I just worked on this at a simulator and man I was pathetic. I couldn't get the club into position and even though I "felt" the downward cast my arms were actually casting out towards the ball (the same awful problems I've been having since trying to get shallow / into the slot). I didn't really watch the videos until after the practice/drills, but man when I did I'm even more depressed. I wasted an entire hour and was basically doing the same awful swing. Struggling to get the club rotated back to 7-8 o clock with shoulder and elbow pain and then swinging out towards the ball and struggling to get my weight forward. Clubface was also coming open and to try to get to 8 o clock I was lifting the arms up, making things worse. I like the concept and want to keep working on it, but I was so pumped to try this and thought I was ready to feel some good shots as my practice swings were sort of flat. Then you put a ball in front of me and my arms and hands chase it like a golden retriever.. I wish I had cured my OTT as a kid because it's hard as s*** to cure as an adult.. I was better as a crappy OTT swinger who hit every other shot fat, at least I could drive the ball 300.. Maybe I just can't play this f****** game. 

• Like 1

Thanks Monte, had a few things click after watching the videos (twice thru so far).

Working wonders for me, especially from 6i down, helping me maintain width in the swing and stop pulling. Still hitting the longer clubs with those thoughts but finding it a little more difficult and more misses, seems harder to do with a less vertical shaft to start from. Maybe it will trickle up once I get a better grasp of the concept but anyone have some tips for use with driver/woods/hybrids? 

10 hours ago, ohakim82 said:

For me so far, I get better results when imagining the 2nd cast along the 12 o'clock line (meaning the line from 6 o'clock to 12 o'clock) rather than directly to 12 o'clock.  But at this stage, I like to do the casts (and other steps) on practice swings then forget about the details and just try to replicate that feel on real swings that are a little sped up so that may be why.

Now that I think I improved the rest of the parts, the intent to cast directly to 12 o'clock is better.  Specifically think I got the wrist set a little better and less arm overrun, making the route directly to 12 feasible.

23 minutes ago, yycpaul said:

Thanks Monte, had a few things click after watching the videos (twice thru so far).

Working wonders for me, especially from 6i down, helping me maintain width in the swing and stop pulling. Still hitting the longer clubs with those thoughts but finding it a little more difficult and more misses, seems harder to do with a less vertical shaft to start from. Maybe it will trickle up once I get a better grasp of the concept but anyone have some tips for use with driver/woods/hybrids? 

I've found that I can get away with "close enough" on the wrist set for irons, especially shorter ones, and still get acceptable to great results.  On driver, its got to be just right.