2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Monte's new No Turn - Cast

Hawkeye77

3 hours ago, CasualLie said:

@MonteScheinblum

Keeping the list in mind, especially #1/#3, the lag move #2, what drives that as a "reaction"?

I've been wanting to make sure I get my hands closer to my right leg so I can just turn fast.  So I like that pump drill to get hands in place, then turn, but do the drill at low speed.  The idea just training the move slowly and let it all happen at speed without thought.

But what can I do earlier to get that second lag move to just happen?  Perhaps it is not even an issue.  As you said, all reaction?  Get the backswing right, pressure right, transition right, and hands will end up where they are supposed to be at P6, and hands will have to do what they need to in order to hit the ball, which is correct.

There are many things that you can do slowly to emulate what you're seeing at a point in time - one frame in a swing video - but that can't be done with the same intent in real time. The forces being applied in each scenario are different.

I am just now diving into this rabbit hole. I love what I am hearing and just bought the video. I watched it twice and have been playing with the motions in the house. I am looking forward to showing up to the course early on Wednesday and work with this some more. The videos really are gold. Thanks Monte.

Mr. Wolfe

Ok it is the wrist set where I was leaking a ton of power. I was twisting and throwing like hell to try and compensate for the lost power. The wrist set definitely FORCES your body into the correct position up top. At that point I played around with the cast and if I cast the club head towards 1:00 (noon being the target) I get a nice draw. I really hope this is not a bandaid. By the looks of this post it is NOT a honeymoon type fix. I'll go through another 1000 repetitions up in my golf simulator room and hopefully I can engrain this feel. Mostly for me it is the "no turn" part of the drill that is causing the light bulb to go off. Thank you, Monte. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, DallasDan said:

Ok it is the wrist set where I was leaking a ton of power. I was twisting and throwing like hell to try and compensate for the lost power. The wrist set definitely FORCES your body into the correct position up top. At that point I played around with the cast and if I cast the club head towards 1:00 (noon being the target) I get a nice draw. I really hope this is not a bandaid. By the looks of this post it is NOT a honeymoon type fix. I'll go through another 1000 repetitions up in my golf simulator room and hopefully I can engrain this feel. Mostly for me it is the "no turn" part of the drill that is causing the light bulb to go off. Thank you, Monte. 

This was the bingo moment for me as well. Set the wrists, turn to 8 and you're in position. It eliminated my over rotation and getting across the line at the top. I'm about 3 weeks into this and seeing excellent results with my irons but still struggling with the 3 wood off the deck and driver.

38 minutes ago, ColoradoMike said:

This was the bingo moment for me as well. Set the wrists, turn to 8 and you're in position. It eliminated my over rotation and getting across the line at the top. I'm about 3 weeks into this and seeing excellent results with my irons but still struggling with the 3 wood off the deck and driver.

Same. I've always struggled with an overswing, but the NT part of the NTC has shortened my swing way better than anything else. 

Hi all, I'd be interested in anyone's thoughts with regards to why I often top or even completely whiff the ball when trying the NTC drill. I've watched all of Monte's premium videos and they've helped me immensely to improve but the NTC drill is the one that I've been really struggling with. I rewatched the efficient swing series last night and noticed that he warns Tim on more than one occasion that he might whiff the ball when doing an exaggerated drill, but I'm not sure why exactly. I've read all of the comments in this thread and unless I've missed it nobody else has mentioned whiffing the ball with NTC drills. Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong would be most appreciated or failing that please just have a good laugh at an 8 handicapper hitting a purina air shot. 😭

23 minutes ago, YouDaHamHider said:

Hi all, I'd be interested in anyone's thoughts with regards to why I often top or even completely whiff the ball when trying the NTC drill. I've watched all of Monte's premium videos and they've helped me immensely to improve but the NTC drill is the one that I've been really struggling with. I rewatched the efficient swing series last night and noticed that he warns Tim on more than one occasion that he might whiff the ball when doing an exaggerated drill, but I'm not sure why exactly. I've read all of the comments in this thread and unless I've missed it nobody else has mentioned whiffing the ball with NTC drills. Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong would be most appreciated or failing that please just have a good laugh at an 8 handicapper hitting a purina air shot. 😭

You're throwing your right shoulder at the ball. Just set and then rotate. 

Also you don't need to overdo this move. Check out this guy doing it with Monte. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CL17ma6F3El/

Edited by TheDeanAbides

Just now, TheDeanAbides said:

You're throwing your right shoulder at the ball. 

Thanks for the reply. Yes it all looks like I make a big lunge at it. What should my right shoulder be doing? If I focused on keeping my right shoulder back and high, might that be the way to go do you think? Thanks for your input. 

1 minute ago, TheDeanAbides said:

See the edit I made. 🙂

Cheers. I think one problem with my usual swing and what carries over to the drill is the concept of 'just rotate'. My hit impulse is so severe and it's one of the reasons that I am overdoing the exaggeration in the drill hoping that from such a laid off position my body instinctively knows that it can't just hit at it, but old habits die hard! I'm determined to make this work though so I'm going to keep at it. Thanks again 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, YouDaHamHider said:

Cheers. I think one problem with my usual swing and what carries over to the drill is the concept of 'just rotate'. My hit impulse is so severe and it's one of the reasons that I am overdoing the exaggeration in the drill hoping that from such a laid off position my body instinctively knows that it can't just hit at it, but old habits die hard! I'm determined to make this work though so I'm going to keep at it. Thanks again 

What happens if you do this drill in slow motion? Do you get to the ball? 

Hey guys,

I bought Monte's NTC a few days. I play to around a 6-7 hdcp, but I want to get that below 5 this year. I think I got a grip on each piece of the swing, but if I come to the top of my backswing with a flat wrist, I can't seem to get the timing down to start bowing (shallowing) the club as it comes into the downswing. I then wondered if I could bow my wrist at the top of my swing a la Dustin Johnson? These are my first 2 swings trying that and I felt like I was coming into the ball (if there was a ball there) with some good power and more shallow than normal. I have not tried this on a course as I literally just tried this. lol Anyways, could someone who understands the correct swing take a look at my video and let me know if this looks good or if you see something out of whack. Thanks for any comments and let me know if a slo-mo would help. Thanks!

Okay, looks like I need to embed the video. I will try again.

[CODE]

[

Mr. Wolfe

Edited by Mr_Wolfe

3 hours ago, TheDeanAbides said:

You're throwing your right shoulder at the ball. Just set and then rotate. 

Also you don't need to overdo this move. Check out this guy doing it with Monte. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CL17ma6F3El/

To me, in your swing video, the transition move is off.  Not enough left wrist flex and ulnar deviation. Watch the transition part of the video that Monte says where the best players have the same move.  He also says it’s not a static move, it happens all at once. Some players early and some later. I think the issue is when you pause. Looks like you manipulate the shallow position and do not flex and UD. My two cents. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, sthompson42 said:

To me, in your swing video, the transition move is off.  Not enough left wrist flex and ulnar deviation. Watch the transition part of the video that Monte says where the best players have the same move.  He also says it’s not a static move, it happens all at once. Some players early and some later. I think the issue is when you pause. Looks like you manipulate the shallow position and do not flex and UD. My two cents. 

Thanks for the feedback. It sure as heck feels as though I'm flexing and Ulnar deviating. If anything I feel as though I'm way overdoing it so now I'm worried that I have completely misunderstood the instruction. I would just get an online lesson with Monte but since our newborn my better half has basically forbidden me from spending on my golf game. Damn her! 

59 minutes ago, Mr_Wolfe said:

Hey guys,

I bought Monte's NTC a few days. I play to around a 6-7 hdcp, but I want to get that below 5 this year. I think I got a grip on each piece of the swing, but if I come to the top of my backswing with a flat wrist, I can't seem to get the timing down to start bowing (shallowing) the club as it comes into the downswing. I then wondered if I could bow my wrist at the top of my swing a la Dustin Johnson? These are my first 2 swings trying that and I felt like I was coming into the ball (if there was a ball there) with some good power and more shallow than normal. I have not tried this on a course as I literally just tried this. lol Anyways, could someone who understands the correct swing take a look at my video and let me know if this looks good or if you see something out of whack. Thanks for any comments and let me know if a slo-mo would help. Thanks!

Okay, looks like I need to embed the video. I will try again.

[CODE]

[

Mr. Wolfe

You're running before you can walk. First step is to fix your P3 position - it's currently pointing way outside the ball.

Ditch that DJ move before you break something! 😉 

You just need to get P3 right first and then blend it into a full turn. It's going to feel weird and it's going to take time. You can't go from a few days in to swinging at full speed and make any changes. Think in terms of weeks and months and progress will happen.

For example, I had a pretty good backswing but it was a bit long, so I just worked on P3 swings and cast B for nearly two months before going any further. 🙂

1 hour ago, sthompson42 said:

Yes, absolutely. That's further reinforced by him saying that he gets to impact perfectly in slow motion. 

22 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

You're running before you can walk. First step is to fix your P3 position - it's currently pointing way outside the ball.

Ditch that DJ move before you break something! 😉 

You just need to get P3 right first and then blend it into a full turn. It's going to feel weird and it's going to take time. You can't go from a few days in to swinging at full speed and make any changes. Think in terms of weeks and months and progress will happen.

For example, I had a pretty good backswing but it was a bit long, so I just worked on P3 swings and cast B for nearly two months before going any further. 🙂

Appreciate the feedback. Just curious, could you elaborate on my P3 position? P3 is left arm parallel, correct? I am most certainly not comparing my swing to Woods, but attached a side by side trying to see what you are referring to. Thanks for the insight!

As far as hurting myself, lol, that wrist bow actually feels quite natural after a swing or 2.

Mr. Wolfe

Screen Shot 2021-03-05 at 10.56.44 AM.png

44 minutes ago, YouDaHamHider said:

Thanks for the feedback. It sure as heck feels as though I'm flexing and Ulnar deviating. If anything I feel as though I'm way overdoing it so now I'm worried that I have completely misunderstood the instruction. I would just get an online lesson with Monte but since our newborn my better half has basically forbidden me from spending on my golf game. Damn her! 

Not an expert, but it looks like you manually lay the club horizontal with the ground and straight behind you.  Not really casting the club or bowing the left wrist. The club shaft should be starting to point at the camera more in the downswing. Does that make sense?

• Thanks 1

What he means is the butt of the club would be pointing well outside the ball at your P3 position (if a ball were there), ideally you want to be at the ball or inside it. 

Edit: the picture you posted is Tiger with a driver with no ball as a reference point. Driver will naturally be on a flatter plane due to the length. 

I would add that you bow it at the top but then you steepen coming down. You aren't meant to go to the top bowed, that's the feel with the wrists in transition. 

Edited by TLUBulldogGolf
  • Like 2

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Titleist 917F3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X
Titleist T200 3 Utility Build Thump 90-X
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

8 minutes ago, Mr_Wolfe said:

Here is a slo-mo if that helps. (skip to 15 seconds)

[CODE]
[/CODE]

Mr. Wolfe

You hit to hit something.   Can be a paper wad.   Ball changes things.

• Like 1

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

5 minutes ago, sthompson42 said:

Not an expert, but it looks like you manually lay the club horizontal with the ground and straight behind you.  Not really casting the club or bowing the left wrist. The club shaft should be starting to point at the camera more in the downswing. Does that make sense?

Yes, I think it's partly because I'm kinda half stuck between figuring out whether the better drill for my particular swing faults is the NT Cast or 'point the butt/face' drill from the efficient swing series. Cheers again for your input. 

18 minutes ago, Mr_Wolfe said:

Appreciate the feedback. Just curious, could you elaborate on my P3 position? P3 is left arm parallel, correct? I am most certainly not comparing my swing to Woods, but attached a side by side trying to see what you are referring to. Thanks for the insight!

As far as hurting myself, lol, that wrist bow actually feels quite natural after a swing or 2.

Mr. Wolfe

Screen Shot 2021-03-05 at 10.56.44 AM.png

Tiger's hitting a driver. The angle depends on the ball. 

This is where your invisible ball is. The club needs to be pointing at or inside it ideally. 

ball.png

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

Tiger's hitting a driver. The angle depends on the ball. 

This is where your invisible ball is. The club needs to be pointing at or inside it ideally. 

ball.png

It looks like the camera angle is a little behind him actually...if it was squarely behind him it wouldn't be as far off as it appears and possibly in the margin of error.  

Driver: Sim2 with Ventus Blue 6x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: PXG 0317x 17* with Fuji Pro 2.0 85x
Irons: PXG 0211ST w/KBS Tour X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego