Monte's new No Turn - Cast

Hawkeye77

3 hours ago, baudi said:

Love to rave about new stuff.

Without being sour (see my +1 only?) - what is the added value of the new and improved version vs the first version. 

Pretty sure/hope/pray it is not just a rebadge.

If you are all set with Monte's original drill, then this may not be for you.  This is great instruction with more details.

Last week I saw the original email for the new series, and quickly passed over it.  I then found this thread, and purchased it after the reviews here.  I struggled implementing Monte's concepts from the original video, but this series "clicked" for me.

Someone else mentioned Tour Striker.  Monte described the cast and wrist action well, and Tour Striker is a tool for muscle memory (pivot, cast, transition, etc.).  Two different methods of instruction.  This new series explains it well, and breaks it down into easy to digest sections.  Online video instruction can not be a blanket miracle for all.  Monte's instruction is easily digestible, and results oriented for me.  YMMV

• Thanks 1

Have Fun - Ready Golf - Repair Divots/Marks - FORE

I see I am not the only one hooking the driver after working the drills. It makes sense because I am so used to "squaring" the club that when it squares itself I have some residual action left over. It really helped to consciously try to send the ball a little right (feeling) and have more passive hands (feeling). That straightened it out. 

I am going back today to work some more on this but I really need to nail down the early wrist set. I eventually get there but not at forearm parallel and the left wrist needs some help. The casting just seemed to click more. Let's see how it goes, I have been doing wrist set drills every day but that doesn't mean anything until the ball is on the ground. 

• Like 1

Cobra LTDx 10.5* Tour AD HD 5X, Big Tour 15.5*, Rad Tour 18.5* Even Flow White 6.0

Titleist U500 4 23* Hzdrus Smoke Black 6.0 

Titleist 718 AP2 5-P DG AMT White S300 

Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S, DG S200

Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1, Vice Pro Plus, Foresight GC3 

18 hours ago, Rictor33 said:

I just worked on this at a simulator and man I was pathetic. I couldn't get the club into position and even though I "felt" the downward cast my arms were actually casting out towards the ball (the same awful problems I've been having since trying to get shallow / into the slot). I didn't really watch the videos until after the practice/drills, but man when I did I'm even more depressed. I wasted an entire hour and was basically doing the same awful swing. Struggling to get the club rotated back to 7-8 o clock with shoulder and elbow pain and then swinging out towards the ball and struggling to get my weight forward. Clubface was also coming open and to try to get to 8 o clock I was lifting the arms up, making things worse. I like the concept and want to keep working on it, but I was so pumped to try this and thought I was ready to feel some good shots as my practice swings were sort of flat. Then you put a ball in front of me and my arms and hands chase it like a golden retriever.. I wish I had cured my OTT as a kid because it's hard as s*** to cure as an adult.. I was better as a crappy OTT swinger who hit every other shot fat, at least I could drive the ball 300.. Maybe I just can't play this f****** game. 

Hang in there. I think everyone has felt that way at some point when making swing changes.

You can ignore this advice if I'm misunderstanding, but it sounds like trying to get your backswing rotated back to 8 o'clock is causing you problems. If that's the case, then I wouldn't rotate that far.  Just make a turn and then do the first cast. Watch the lesson examples, most of those guys aren't coming close to a full turn. Monte is just focusing on the cast. 

Last night, I was practicing the cast with just a 3/4 turn and was 77/8 mph with my 7 iron on the Mevo. I averaged 81/2 mph with a full turn. So it's not a big difference. 

Edited by acekun
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, baudi said:

interesting remark Hawkeye. Before setting up this post I reread all comments but could not find a clear difference.

Probably my bad.  

Way more detail, more drills, some example lessons and a rather jarring sound before the start of each video ?

Seriously, at $18 it's pretty cheap and if it's not what you expected just think of it as a nice way to support Monte for all the FREE content he gives out including the original video. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

FWIW, those of you thinking the longer clubs are tougher with this blueprint....

First time I focused on just the get to 8 then cast to 12 thought to play a round of golf...keeping it really simple, no practice on the range, just some slo-mo stuff for 5 minutes at home one evening, then played Harding Park.  That course is no joke off the tee.  I striped more tee shots with a gentle fade in that round than I have in a long time.  And so that it was not just a honeymoon, 3 days later at a different course, did it again.

What I am finding with the longer clubs is (1) the sequence is really important, cannot miss a step, so keeping it simple by not thinking body turn but making sure you get all the way to 8:00, not 6:30, not 7:00, all the way to 8:00, and getting that shift in there, has to happen. (2) the longer clubs give you more time to do this, so do not waste that time, get that shift in there, and fire away to 12.

On the shorter clubs, less time, actually easier to be slightly out of sequence, but less punishing just by the nature of the loft.  Now by no means am I suggesting you practice no-turn swing and some of the drills with a 4i or Driver.  Club is too long to sequence slowly.  I mean, you can do it, but most golfers will get demoralized when trying to hit a ball that way because they cannot focus on the move and just forget where the ball goes.  Practice it with an 8 iron, over and over, and over...then pick up your 4i and just do it without thought. 

• Like 1

I've been practicing the sequence non stop and it's starting to feel like a very fluid motion. Can't wait to get to the range to practice it more. I actually cancelled a tee time this weekend to get out and practice it on the range. 

Ping K15 driver
Ping G10 3, 4, 5 hybrids
Ping G15 irons
Cameron Newport, Ping Anser 3
Titleist Vokey 50* 54* wedges

Took an online lesson with Monte a couple months ago, and have been working on the ulnar deviation in transition with moderate success.

Got the new video on Monday, watched it twice and took it to the range last night.

I've always struggled with early rotation of the shoulders, getting stuck / pulling the handle / steep etc.

Let me just say, this video really tied things together for me. The transition drill combined with keeping my back to the target gave me the sensation of the club swinging past my body with great speed and very little effort, forcing my body to rotate hard at impact. I think I'm finally starting to understand what rotation is actually supposed to feel like!

Driver was a bit iffy, but hit a couple good ones and most would have been playable. My irons were pure with a small draw.

A tip for some of you out there struggling: It is much easier and natural for me to implement the cast by feeling it more in my trail hand, not my lead hand.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2020 at 11:24 AM, sjsdogsrule said:

I bought this video.  The other videos from Monte that I've bought I was able to download to my tablet so I can view offline.  With this purchase it was not clear to me if I can download to a tablet or phone? 

Is this available now?

Need to download his APP, then you can download the video segments that can be watched offline from within the app.

The Efficient Swing did so much for me this past year that I'm almost worried about buying this one and somehow messing up what I've been working on. That video series is hands down the best I've ever seen, and have been able to implement relatively easily with success.

Yeah yeah yeah I know it's a dumb fear, it's Monte we're talking about here. 

18 minutes ago, Ntv69 said:

Need to download his APP, then you can download the video segments that can be watched offline from within the app.

+1

I wish we could just download a file to be honest. I am sure Drive4Dough worked that way IIRC. I am not a fan of being forced to go through a third-party app or website to view content that's been purchased. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AngryKoreanMan said:

is it similar to Mike bender's fire club head at the ball?

I interpret it as quite the opposite actually.  My take on Bender is he wants to have your hands firing at the ball from the top, where these videos make me feel like the move is to cast the hands directly away from the ball at the top (to 8 o clock)

1 minute ago, ironcat said:

+1

I wish we could just download a file to be honest. I am sure Drive4Dough worked that way IIRC. I am not a fan of being forced to go through a third-party app or website to view content that's been purchased. 

Im with you on that.  I too had the old videos downloaded and like having complete video, not fan of segment style.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Showtime9 said:

This may be a dumb question but is there any explanation for Left handed golfers in the video or it is just expected to do the opposite?

Phil does not make an appearance. ?

I'm not a lefty, but like Phil, I'd think if I was left handed watching the right handed player doing stuff would make it kind of a mirror image thing? For me, I see could watching the vid and trying to work on the movements at the same time easier with that kind of view.  Given the extent to which he demonstrates it physically and the camera angles I would think it would be better than most, but again, I'm not a lefty.

14 hours ago, acekun said:

Hang in there. I think everyone has felt that way at some point when making swing changes.

You can ignore this advice if I'm misunderstanding, but it sounds like trying to get your backswing rotated back to 8 o'clock is causing you problems. If that's the case, then I wouldn't rotate that far.  Just make a turn and then do the first cast. Watch the lesson examples, most of those guys aren't coming close to a full turn. Monte is just focusing on the cast. 

Last night, I was practicing the cast with just a 3/4 turn and was 77/8 mph with my 7 iron on the Mevo. I averaged 81/2 mph with a full turn. So it's not a big difference. 

Thanks for the kind reply. I was being a bit of a baby after struggling with this drill. I've basically worked on two different swings: a single plane swing (of the s&t variety) and this. I am trying to find a way to have more of a two plane swing while still getting shallow and being able to generate power like I did when I played baseball. I have big, inflexible shoulders, left elbow injuries (doesn't fully straighten) and lower back issues from 23 years of lifting heavy. I like Monte's ideas as they're not rigid and will allow me to find my own way, but it's never easy when you're a tinkerer. I just want to get my downswing flat and hopefully return some of my original OTT club head speed eventually. Maybe my expectations are just too lofty. 

• Like 1

On 8/26/2020 at 9:16 AM, ohakim82 said:

For me so far, I get better results when imagining the 2nd cast along the 12 o'clock line (meaning the line from 6 o'clock to 12 o'clock) rather than directly to 12 o'clock.  But at this stage, I like to do the casts (and other steps) on practice swings then forget about the details and just try to replicate that feel on real swings that are a little sped up so that may be why.

Building on this answer here, is Cast 2 where you get speed from - meaning - can you just cast 2 at maximum speed? Given you are minimizing face rotation - can you get as fast as you can with Cast 2 assuming you get Cast 1 right? Just curious if this has worked for people and if people are just maximizing the speed of cast 2.

7 hours ago, dcl5dcl5 said:

Building on this answer here, is Cast 2 where you get speed from - meaning - can you just cast 2 at maximum speed? Given you are minimizing face rotation - can you get as fast as you can with Cast 2 assuming you get Cast 1 right? Just curious if this has worked for people and if people are just maximizing the speed of cast 2.

Based on other videos he's made, Monte would say yes, as long as you maintain the mechanics taught in the Cast 2 drill AND Cast 1 has put you in the proper position to employ them...

Adding:  I am having difficulty with the Cast 2 drill, personally, and I just need to keep at that drill.  Not whine, or moan, or say "this video didn't help me get to scratch in a week."

Edited by games
  • Like 1

I haven't gotten he Efficient Swing series. Can you guys/Monte provide some insight on how the NTC and Efficient swing series relate to each other? Are they the same concept? Am I better just sticking to the NTC for a while and then getting the ES video? I have the Drive for Dough video but haven't watched that in so long, I definitely have to rewatch that. 

Ping K15 driver
Ping G10 3, 4, 5 hybrids
Ping G15 irons
Cameron Newport, Ping Anser 3
Titleist Vokey 50* 54* wedges

25 minutes ago, flipmode said:

I haven't gotten he Efficient Swing series. Can you guys/Monte provide some insight on how the NTC and Efficient swing series relate to each other? Are they the same concept? Am I better just sticking to the NTC for a while and then getting the ES video? I have the Drive for Dough video but haven't watched that in so long, I definitely have to rewatch that. 

I believe they are the same swing just different ways to get there. The efficient swing has drills/feels to get your body in position. Where as NTC is getting your club in the right position and your body to react accordingly. I've found both very helpful as it's different ways to look at the same swing

I got some time to work at this a little more today and really liking the results.  I think the key is sequencing the 2 cast feels together correctly - its really a 1-2 movement of the hands / wrists from the top and almost a feel of blending them into a single move.  I'm not sure that the feel of throwing to 12 o clock will work for everyone, because that kind of (at least for me) makes me feel like you need to wait until the club is back in front on you before throwing to 12 and tugging the ball left.  i like the idea of cast to 8 with the left hand (while bowing), then almost immediately cast to 3/4 with the right hand.  Thoughts?

3 hours ago, flipmode said:

I would absolutely recommend Efficient Swing - I would look at this as an expansion of Efficient Swing. The NTC is a great expansion of Segment 2:Left Arm Parallel and Segment 4: Transition. The Efficient Swing helps you build a backswing and transition and this is just an enhancement of that with a few new thoughts in great detail. I highly recommend both and I always go back to Efficient Swing. I'm glad I own both. Hope that helps. They are definitely not the same video.

Edited by dcl5dcl5