2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Monte's new No Turn - Cast

Hawkeye77

56 minutes ago, Augster said:

Does this actually work? Has anyone lowered their cap doing this?

I watched the foggy NTC video last night after reading 1/2 this thread. I then practiced it for an hour and really liked the way it felt. 

I went to the course today to try it out. I doubled the first 3 holes and never made any real contact. I went back to my “old swing” and shot even the rest of the way. 

My “old swing” is destroying my left hip. I was really hoping something like NTC would keep my left hip out of it and help me play pain free, while shooting legit scores. 

Do I need to buy the entire NTC video series to “get it”? Let me know and thanks!

Buy the video and turn those 3 doubles into 3 triples lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Augster said:

I watched the foggy NTC video last night after reading 1/2 this thread. I then practiced it for an hour and really liked the way it felt. 

I went to the course today to try it out. I doubled the first 3 holes and never made any real contact. I went back to my “old swing” and shot even the rest of the way. 

My “old swing” is destroying my left hip. I was really hoping something like NTC would keep my left hip out of it and help me play pain free, while shooting legit scores. 

Do I need to buy the entire NTC video series to “get it”? Let me know and thanks!

Give it some more time. It seems a bit optimistic to practice a major swing change for an hour then take it to the course and expect to match your previous scores. 

The video is $26.99. If it doesn’t work for you you’re out less than the cost of a box of premium balls. 

The full video has quite a bit more detail than the free YouTube video. It also has several drills to help with the various parts of the swing. I have it and believe it was money well spent. 

It takes time to make a swing change. Use the range with slow mid irons to ingrain the motion. Then only think target on the course with one key feel. Also I found need to step through the fixes in the NTC, which has some very important updates compared to the YouTube video. Each step builds on the previous. I felt that also getting the Drive 4 Dough video was helpful to fill in some feels to NTC. Incidentally this weekend there is a 30% sale with code D4D4ME

and no, I don’t get any commissions 

13 hours ago, Augster said:

Every single good player makes these moves. Almost every hacker doesn't. You decide which you want to be, and if you choose the former invest lots of time to make the changes. Your expectations have to be realistic regarding timeframe or you'll quickly revert back to the old swing that's kinda sorta working but ain't ever getting you near par. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Augster said:

You're going to need some type of compensating move to alleviate pressure on your hip.  It's a fundamental to good ballstriking, regardless of what model you're trying to adopt.

I wanted to chime in on this thread. Reading the positive comments convinced me to purchase the NTC videos and I'm glad I did. Shallowing the club is something I struggle with and no other "feel" made sense up until this point. What really made it click for me and what is helping me tremendously with both the no turn and the cast was the use of my swingyde training aid. If you have one, try it out and if you don't consider spending the couple of bucks to get one. Feeling of getting the guide on your wrist with a vertical hinge set gets you exactly to the 7 o'clock position and in an ideal top of backswing and from there I feel like I get the swingyde off my wrist immediately which perfectly "casts" me to 8 o'clock. 

• Like 2

SLDR Tour ADbb
Adams Black Superhybrid 15* Aldila Voodo
Taylormade Rescue TP 18* Rip Alpha 85
Callaway Apex Forged 4-p Kbs Tour
Ping Tour S 49* Taylormade XFT TP 52/58
Custom Lajosi DD201

I really enjoy the consistency this has brought to my game.  I took it to the range today, and added some Tour Tempo.  Just feels so good with all clubs.

I continue to attempt to eradicate my death move which is the shoulders coming around before the hands drop down.   I am incorporating "zipper away" into the transition move, and the improvement in today's ballstriking was noticeable.

I’m really having some success with NTC....especially with my driver.  One thing I find critical is maintaining spine tilt throughout the move.  It seems like this was an emphasis item in D4D...I “feel” like it’s been my missing ingredient.  Suspect I’ve lunged toward to ball previously.

A question about NTC.

In transition, from the 8 o’clock top position, it seems like my hands automatically move from 8 to 7 with the lower body move.   Is this okay with the hands moving to 7 as long as there’s a cast back to 8?

Or do the hands need to stay fixed at 8 as the lower body transitions....and cast to 8 from the 8 position.

Not sure if this makes sense?

9 hours ago, JetPilot said:

In transition, from the 8 o’clock top position, it seems like my hands automatically move from 8 to 7 with the lower body move.   Is this okay with the hands moving to 7 as long as there’s a cast back to 8?

Or do the hands need to stay fixed at 8 as the lower body transitions....and cast to 8 from the 8 position.

Not sure if this makes sense?

to quote Monte, “It depends.” If you are getting the flight you want, don’t overthink it. My understanding of that transition  move is the shoulders don’t rotate forward much. That might be why your hands go to 7. Early shoulder rotation causes me to pull shots. When I start pulling shots, keeping my back to target on transition is a good thought. 

3 hours ago, rchang72 said:

to quote Monte, “It depends.” If you are getting the flight you want, don’t overthink it.  

After playing around with this a little more, "don't over think it" is great advice.  For me, bump...maintain spine tilt, cast to 8 and let it rip.....has me hitting my driver like I have never hit it before.   A no kidding 20 yard carry increase with a slight draw.  

The improvement was not incremental.  It was immediate.  I'm having fun again.  I hope this holds up.  

On 5/7/2021 at 5:39 PM, Augster said:

I'll go against the grain here and say feel drills aren't going to work for everybody. I'm the kind of guy where if you tell me to set my wrists without turning, I'm lifting my arms straight up. If you tell me to cast to 8, I'm casting to 8. "Cast to 8 so you know what it feels like but don't actually do that because we're just isolating the movement" is not something that resonates with me personally. I need to get there in other ways. If you're like me then no point in trying the square peg in the round hole.

In my opinion you would purchase based on liking the premise and wanting a step by step instruction to help you execute. In that regard it's 100% worth it. But if it's not working for you at all it's unlikely that the paid series will change anything. $26 is $26 though, so it's not exactly a life or death decision if you want to find out.

Titleist TSR2 9* Tensei Blue

Ping G410 2H

Ping G400 3H

Mizuno Pro 225 4i-GW

Mizuno T22 54S/58C Blue Ion LE

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 7

Is there a way to buy and download his videos like the old ones (D4D, UTB)? I’m flying this afternoon and want to watch on the plane.

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° ATX Green 75TX
917F 18° ATX Green 85X
ZX5 MkII 4-5 / ZX7 MkII 6-P  Modus 120X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Vokey SM9 54S/60M Modus 125 Wedge
Nike Neo

ZStar

On 5/12/2021 at 4:23 PM, Erock said:

I wanted to chime in on this thread. Reading the positive comments convinced me to purchase the NTC videos and I'm glad I did. Shallowing the club is something I struggle with and no other "feel" made sense up until this point. What really made it click for me and what is helping me tremendously with both the no turn and the cast was the use of my swingyde training aid. If you have one, try it out and if you don't consider spending the couple of bucks to get one. Feeling of getting the guide on your wrist with a vertical hinge set gets you exactly to the 7 o'clock position and in an ideal top of backswing and from there I feel like I get the swingyde off my wrist immediately which perfectly "casts" me to 8 o'clock. 

This combination really helps me too, I have turned the swingdye over to the right a little bit (r/h golfer) so it really promotes a completely flat left wrist. I am seeing good improvements with NTC, still need to close the face down with the cast A (motorcycle move), else I am getting quite a bit of cut on my shots, but striking much better and consistent

On 5/15/2021 at 2:27 PM, games said:

I continue to attempt to eradicate my death move which is the shoulders coming around before the hands drop down.   I am incorporating "zipper away" into the transition move, and the improvement in today's ballstriking was noticeable.

This is my fault as well. What have you been doing to work on this? Had a lesson with Monte and he suggested a lot of half swings and the Justin Rose drill. Have been doing a ton of this as well as Monte's wall drill. It's definitely helped, but always looking for other feels or drills that might click.

21 minutes ago, BigTerp1524 said:

This is my fault as well. What have you been doing to work on this? Had a lesson with Monte and he suggested a lot of half swings and the Justin Rose drill. Have been doing a ton of this as well as Monte's wall drill. It's definitely helped, but always looking for other feels or drills that might click.

Hey, I hope your swing journey is going well!  Haven't checked in on you lately...

I mentioned this video in my prior post.  See the link below for Monte's "Zipper Away" drill.  Apply this move at the same time as (or even in place of) the "transition" step in NTC.  It helps with my death move AND can also resolve early extension.

https://rebelliongolf.com/zipper-away/

Admittedly I call this the "Moon to 10:30 drill."  Zipper away just isn't funny, but my juvenile brain easily grasps the concept of mooning somebody in the direction of 10:30.   You'll see it when you watch the video...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, games said:

Hey, I hope your swing journey is going well!  Haven't checked in on you lately...

I mentioned this video in my prior post.  See the link below for Monte's "Zipper Away" drill.  Apply this move at the same time as (or even in place of) the "transition" step in NTC.  It helps with my death move AND can also resolve early extension.

https://rebelliongolf.com/zipper-away/

Admittedly I call this the "Moon to 10:30 drill."  Zipper away just isn't funny, but my juvenile brain easily grasps the concept of mooning somebody in the direction of 10:30.   You'll see it when you watch the video...

Thanks!! It's going well. Am finally starting to feel it coming together.

Great drill. I suffer from a few things here that this should help. I don't loose enough flex in my right knee on the way back, get too long with my arms in the backswing and then fire my shoulders around which brings my hands out versus down (OTT) and causes my arms to be behind my body. Some good thoughts/feels here that I think will click with me. Anxious to give it a try. 

Decided to buy the efficient swing series after a few weeks of NTC. Efficient swing has really helped me smooth out some of my issues that weren't nearly as detailed in NTC. I think if you already have a solid foundation for your swing, NTC is perfect but efficient swing has brought some lightbulb moments for me. Thanks Monte!

• Like 2

@scopek I think you've got too much bend in the trial elbow.  Needs to be more relaxed and hang down more.  Get hands closer to the ground. 

(When corrected, you can do what I did and tell my wife my clubs don't fit me anymore because they're too long and lies are too upright!)

image.png.5917de88ac779d21964458d9d7de121a.png

• Like 1

22 hours ago, games said:

@scopek I think you've got too much bend in the trial elbow.  Needs to be more relaxed and hang down more.  Get hands closer to the ground. 

(When corrected, you can do what I did and tell my wife my clubs don't fit me anymore because they're too long and lies are too upright!)

image.png.5917de88ac779d21964458d9d7de121a.png

I reached out to Monte and he responded that at full speed it would be unlikely I'd be that closed. In the pic I have above I'm in slow motion working on the drill. 

• Like 3

On 10/7/2020 at 10:47 AM, MonteScheinblum said:

Hard to say without seeing it.  Most hit it off the toe when doing it.

LOL what if your miss has always been off the toe.  I have been working with this a bit and have really hit some good shots. but I always have missed off the toe and have never been able to figure out exactly why. I would assume EE is the cause or the fact that i have always been a slider you know slide back then back forward. 

Played in 20 mph gusts on Wednesday and used the Cast A Drill as part of my pre-shot routine. Hit a bunch of greens and fairways and had 4 good looks at birdie that just missed. I'm definitely going to be using this routine from now on. Everything from driver to lob wedge was solid. I just need to make sure I keep rotating through the shot to minimize my natural draw. Missed some greens planning for a straight ball and the ball turned over. The course I played has tiny greens so misses are magnified.

8 hours ago, berndgeurts said:

Funny, I need to rotate more to accentuate my natural draw and square up the face.

Are you sure that you have the club face closed when you come down into impact? Maybe your club face is too open and you use your shoulders and hands (OTT) to close the face? Most people need to open up and get the shaft forward to avoid the hook.

19 hours ago, Golfbeat said:

Are you sure that you have the club face closed when you come down into impact? Maybe your club face is too open and you use your shoulders and hands (OTT) to close the face? Most people need to open up and get the shaft forward to avoid the hook.

My face is closed to path, that gives me a nice push draw. But body rotation and rhythm are needed to avoid blocks slices hooks etc.

Montes lessons learn me how to do this (cast a and b combined in smooth rhythm).