2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Monte's new No Turn - Cast

Hawkeye77

You must improve wrist conditions to stay closed longer!!!

Just in the last few days I've improved my wrist so much with the 8:00 cast.  From the top, I can start my arms down in front of me so much that it "feels" like I'm hitting the ball with the back of my lead tricep.  I know that's extreme, but just an extreme feel compared to how much I used to pitch my trail shoulder around to quickly at the top.

• Thanks 1

Played 18 holes yesterday (using the NTC swing from the paid video) and really struggled to make consistent contact. I figured out my main issue was coming through the ball with almost no wrist turnover. It felt almost like making check swings in baseball. (After making the first cast, I was trying to do the second cast to 12 o'clock.)

But I played about a month ago after only watching the No Turn Cast Swing Drill video on Youtube

and I  played much better than I did yesterday. I found I had much more consistent contact and I especially enjoyed crisp divots, even on practice swings. (My divots seemed to be all over the place yesterday.)

I wondered what I did differently about a month ago. Basically two things. 1) I had only two swing thoughts: cast (a single cast because I didn't know there was a second one) and "literally bow that right wrist at impact" (at 4:10 in the original Youtube video).

So it seems obvious to go back to doing what worked, but there is nothing about bowing that right wrist at impact in the NTC paid video.

So is it okay to do the old video's version of attempting to bow the right wrist at impact or should I stay with the notion of casting toward 12 o'clock?

And is it possible that a cast (the cast from 7 o'clock) is better than a cast from 8 o'clock?

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, Xander Fan said:

Played 18 holes yesterday (using the NTC swing from the paid video) and really struggled to make consistent contact. I figured out my main issue was coming through the ball with almost no wrist turnover. It felt almost like making check swings in baseball. (After making the first cast, I was trying to do the second cast to 12 o'clock.)

But I played about a month ago after only watching the No Turn Cast Swing Drill video on Youtube

and I  played much better than I did yesterday. I found I had much more consistent contact and I especially enjoyed crisp divots, even on practice swings. (My divots seemed to be all over the place yesterday.)

I wondered what I did differently about a month ago. Basically two things. 1) I had only two swing thoughts: cast (a single cast because I didn't know there was a second one) and "literally bow that right wrist at impact" (at 4:10 in the original Youtube video).

So it seems obvious to go back to doing what worked, but there is nothing about bowing that right wrist at impact in the NTC paid video.

So is it okay to do the old video's version of attempting to bow the right wrist at impact or should I stay with the notion of casting toward 12 o'clock?

And is it possible that a cast (the cast from 7 o'clock) is better than a cast from 8 o'clock?

I think you should know how to cast B properly. 

Monte has a 300 yd impact device to show the correct hand movement.

Also take a minute to read the latest posts in ' Do you throw or twist? ' here on this forum. A great thread.

• Thanks 2

21 hours ago, berndgeurts said:

I think you should know how to cast B properly. 

Monte has a 300 yd impact device to show the correct hand movement.

Also take a minute to read the latest posts in ' Do you throw or twist? ' here on this forum. A great thread.

Thanks very much for your reply. I went to the twist/turn thread and only 48 seconds into that Kevin Roman video I saw my swing fault. I will delve into that thread much deeper. Appreciate it.

I've been following Rebellion golf's efficient swing and NTC for about a month.  My iron play is the best it's ever been.  The swing feels great....contact, distance, trajectory....I can't ask for anything more.  In fact my playing partner's are remarking how good my iron play has been. 

My driver is messy, however.  I feel as though I'm spinning out terribly with blocks to the right.  I got back to some fundamentals and started hitting the driver well again today.  

My biggest feel is that I used no body rotation....I just stayed in left tilt and just threw my hands from the top, and let the body turn as a result of the throw.  

I guess my question is.....is this a correct "feel, thought"?

Thanks in advance.  

Has anyone incorporated the NTC drills with a PlaneMate? I was working though the PlaneMate protocols before I discovered NTC, and I really think it helped with rotation and keeping the arms connected. However, I feel like their method of relaxing the right hand to shallow the club didn’t really gel with me. Has anyone combined these two successfully?

• Like 1

Bought this last year and tried out the drills for a little while but never felt comfortable (yes I know that means I was changing something, probably for the better!) like I did with the drills/moves in the Efficient Swing video.

After a few meh rounds & range sessions this season, I watched the NTC videos again. I decided to just work on getting my hands to 7 and then focusing on Cast B. Within a few range sessions I was hitting the ball better than I have in quite some time. Took it to the course over 9 holes and hit the ball very well, even with driver. I've never been a chronic overswinger but getting good iron height and keeping the ball in play off the tee have plagued me. I was decent off the tee, not as long as I have been with the driver but I wasn't in the woods either. Irons were straight and flighted well. 

For the time being I'll keep this going and then focus on the hands to 8 and Cast A again. Last year I just couldn't get it to work, but hopefully after keeping 7/Cast B going it'll be a smoother transition. 

• Like 1

I've found that as someone with a naturally stronger grip that trying to flatten the left wrist gives me a case of the lefts. Just hinging up at left arm parallel in the backswing seems to be enough based on the range and the course. Halfway through my round yesterday I developed a bad case of duck hooks, which is really weird as a reformed banana slicer. I realized that I was trying to flatten the left wrist during the backswing before focusing on the cast, closing the face way too much. 

3 minutes ago, Showtime9 said:

Been working with the video for the last two months. Ball striking has improved but still have the occasional hook from time to time. Please let me know any thoughts on the swing and if I am going wrong somewhere. Thanks!

Butt sticking out too much at address.

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

Had some really good success with NTC yesterday. (Thanks Monte.)

One question. In the NTC original video (with you in the fog), you said after the cast from 8 o'clock to attempt to bow the right wrist all the way back at impact (as a feel, acknowledging it wouldn't actually happen). (And there is no mention of that right wrist bowing 100% attempt in the paid NTC video.)

I got confused yesterday with my swing thought. At times I was thinking about (after the 8 o'clock cast) attempting that right wrist bowed 100% at impact, and at other times, I was thinking about the second cast (cast to 12 o'clock). Is either swing thought preferable?

7 hours ago, Showtime9 said:

Is that what is causing the hook sometimes? Should I straighten up more at setup?

Yes

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

8 hours ago, Xander Fan said:

Had some really good success with NTC yesterday. (Thanks Monte.)

One question. In the NTC original video (with you in the fog), you said after the cast from 8 o'clock to attempt to bow the right wrist all the way back at impact (as a feel, acknowledging it wouldn't actually happen). (And there is no mention of that right wrist bowing 100% attempt in the paid NTC video.)

I got confused yesterday with my swing thought. At times I was thinking about (after the 8 o'clock cast) attempting that right wrist bowed 100% at impact, and at other times, I was thinking about the second cast (cast to 12 o'clock). Is either swing thought preferable?

That’s what cast B is.  Extending the left wrist is the same as bowing the right wrist.

• Thanks 1

BERTRAND RUSSELL

Monte is the kind of coach I like. Practical, not pushing a method, and extremely applicable. Lifelong player here, 1 handicap, and still refining. NTC has really opened my eyes on some things, and it's really helped my consistency. I'm not a fan of position instruction, but Monte's approach is easier for me to practice. It's really helped to sync my torso with my arms, something I've always struggled with.

I've included the Watson Hanger into my NTC work. I also am not a fan of training aids generally, but getting into the proper 7-8 o'clock wrist position is helped by the hanger. More importantly, it really sets my wrists for impact. I haven't had this much improvement in my ball striking since college and I'm extremely excited at the moment. Not sure Monte would approve a a wrist-setting device in his NTC approach, but for me it's been like peanut butter and chocolate. YMMV.

17 hours ago, MonteScheinblum said:

That’s what cast B is.  Extending the left wrist is the same as bowing the right wrist.

Thanks Monte. I just watched #12 (Cast B instruction) over and over, and I get the wrist action. But since you mentioned attempting bowing that right wrist 100% at impact (in your Youtube video), I'm hung up on looking for a feel or swing thought for the right wrist in Cast B as it approaches impact. Is it best to just do Cast B and trust that the right wrist will do its thing on its own, or is it best to be actively aggressive with the right wrist like in your Youtube video attempting 100% bowing at impact?

11 hours ago, Xander Fan said:

Thanks Monte. I just watched #12 (Cast B instruction) over and over, and I get the wrist action. But since you mentioned attempting bowing that right wrist 100% at impact (in your Youtube video), I'm hung up on looking for a feel or swing thought for the right wrist in Cast B as it approaches impact. Is it best to just do Cast B and trust that the right wrist will do its thing on its own, or is it best to be actively aggressive with the right wrist like in your Youtube video attempting 100% bowing at impact?

You can't control impact. Just have the intention to do cast A and B almost simultaneously. Don't overthink it. 

The downswing takes 0.2 seconds. Nobody can control what happens at impact. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, TheDeanAbides said:

You can't control impact. Just have the intention to do cast A and B almost simultaneously. Don't overthink it. 

The downswing takes 0.2 seconds. Nobody can control what happens at impact. 

Thanks. That's good advice. I got a better idea of the wrist action watching the NTC paid video again. My concern is that if I don't turn that right wrist hard coming into impact, I'll block shots to the right. The proverbial "check swing." I didn't have a big problem with blocks last time I played, so maybe I'm getting more comfortable with the overall motion.

13 minutes ago, Xander Fan said:

Thanks. That's good advice. I got a better idea of the wrist action watching the NTC paid video again. My concern is that if I don't turn that right wrist hard coming into impact, I'll block shots to the right. The proverbial "check swing." I didn't have a big problem with blocks last time I played, so maybe I'm getting more comfortable with the overall motion.

There's no turning. Just to be clear. It's this action. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TheDeanAbides said:

There's no turning. Just to be clear. It's this action. 

Thanks. Yes, thanks, for the correction. I should've said 'if I don't flex that right wrist hard...'

I get the wrist action in theory. It's just in reality it seems I'm stopping releasing the wrists.

Thanks for the video. It's a great demonstration of the wrist action. Meandering around associatively I found this Duval video where he talks about throwing the club behind him. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnLUnCpOCWM

And there's this Eric Cogorno video espousing the same thing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvMijVAf9FI

Both seem to go against Monte's Cast B of throwing to 12 o'clock.

On 7/9/2021 at 12:20 AM, Xander Fan said:

Thanks. Yes, thanks, for the correction. I should've said 'if I don't flex that right wrist hard...'

I get the wrist action in theory. It's just in reality it seems I'm stopping releasing the wrists.

Thanks for the video. It's a great demonstration of the wrist action. Meandering around associatively I found this Duval video where he talks about throwing the club behind him. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnLUnCpOCWM

And there's this Eric Cogorno video espousing the same thing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvMijVAf9FI

Both seem to go against Monte's Cast B of throwing to 12 o'clock.

I don't think it goed against cast B. IT is cast B, only a bit further in the followthrough. Monte does not advocate keeping your club going out and away from you, the club moves around the body

• Thanks 1

I've implemented proper lead wrist position from the NTC backswing video.  Now, when I transition properly and allow Cast A to happen naturally (not forced) I'm getting clean contact with a healthy divot.  It's helped me to start with wedges and move up through the bag with this aspect.  I left a nice square of bare ground after yesterday's range session.  

Now, I need new wedges because mine are clearly too flat.

It's been less than a year working with NTC.  So many good things happening with my swing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, games said:

Now, when I transition properly and allow Cast A to happen naturally (not forced) I'm getting clean contact with a healthy divot.

This is where I got to with Cast A. Just like Monte said above about not having forced motions, once you get to the point where this happens naturally it doesn't even really feel like casting, at least for me. I'm about 7 months into rebuilding my swing with NTC as the base. The first few months Cast A definitely felt forced, and needed to be forced to get it right. I even did a lot of the drill where you get to to the top, pause, Cast to 8 then rotate through. But once everything starts blending together nothing is forced.

5 hours ago, TheDeanAbides said:

Although I'm still nowhere near hitting balls again, before I put the clubs away I was hitting it as pure as I ever have by using the JR drill alongside the feel for cast A. It just made everything pretty much effortless. 

The wall drill really helped me solidify the feel for cast A. For whatever reason, the first time I did the wall drill the cast A move instantly clicked. The Justin Rose drill has helped me as well, but more with keeping my shoulders closed in transition versus the feel for cast A. Still a LONG way to go, but the NTC has changed my swing so drastically for the good it's almost painful to watch video of my old swing from 7 months ago. 

• Like 1

I’ve been playing on and off about 25 years with very little instruction (a couple lessons here and there) and had never broken 90 prior to starting the no turn cast program.

After working on the drills for a couple months, I’ve shot 88 twice. My mind is blown.

I feel like I’m hitting the sweet spot on my clubs for the first time ever. Even when I had good ballstriking rounds in the past my shots didn’t feel anything like this.

Like some others in this thread, I struggled with hooks after starting this program, especially with my driver and longer clubs. I finally got fed up and started opening the face a bit at address with all my clubs and that’s when everything started clicking. I feel like I can fully release the club without fear of the ball going left.

The last time I played I was inexplicably hitting a weak fade and started setting up with the club face more square at address and got back on track and played a decent round. I’ve never been able to make simple adjustments like that on the fly and keep my game on track.

I have no idea if this is a band-aid because I’m doing the drills wrong or if it’s something good players do, so I would love some feedback on this.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, higgle-the-elder said:

I’ve been playing on and off about 25 years with very little instruction (a couple lessons here and there) and had never broken 90 prior to starting the no turn cast program.

After working on the drills for a couple months, I’ve shot 88 twice. My mind is blown.

I feel like I’m hitting the sweet spot on my clubs for the first time ever. Even when I had good ballstriking rounds in the past my shots didn’t feel anything like this.

Like some others in this thread, I struggled with hooks after starting this program, especially with my driver and longer clubs. I finally got fed up and started opening the face a bit at address with all my clubs and that’s when everything started clicking. I feel like I can fully release the club without fear of the ball going left.

The last time I played I was inexplicably hitting a weak fade and started setting up with the club face more square at address and got back on track and played a decent round. I’ve never been able to make simple adjustments like that on the fly and keep my game on track.

I have no idea if this is a band-aid because I’m doing the drills wrong or if it’s something good players do, so I would love some feedback on this.

Post a video.