Monte's new No Turn - Cast

Hawkeye77

On 8/5/2021 at 8:50 PM, Chonchgolf said:

I’ve noticed that my backswing already has a flexed lead (left) wrist at 8, which makes it kind of hard to throw and turn the wrist on cast A. I wonder if I have my wrist set at the back swing I can just hold it and throw it, if that makes any sense

You would still need the ulnar. 

I feel like I finally (sort of) got this today. I’ve tried it for months with no success and finally noticed on video that I was coming into the ball with an extremely shut face causing shanks because I was overdoing cast A. Focused more on cast B and a minor bow of the wrist and I actually was hitting it straight and even drawing it a little. 

The whole concept of throw and turn seems too simple but I’m amazed it worked. 

Edited by Shanker84
  • Like 2

Completely new to the site, mediocre golfer with a lot of bad swing habits that I just do so instinctively after years of doing things so incorrectly. I really want to try to work my way out of this, but my "feels" of the golf swing are generally so different from where I am out on video. The frustrating part for me has been watching/reading so much about the golf swing and what it's supposed to be, and then feeling like I am perpetually incapable of doing it right.

I would like to give Monte's stuff a shot, just to see if I can build something slowly, especially after seeing so many promising reviews. But given how flawed my swing is, I worry about my ability to "execute" what is being taught. It seems like most people here talking about Monte have been following his stuff for a long while, to the point people just talk about "casting" as if its meaning is obvious. I have no idea what people even mean when they say "cast". 

So I've obviously got a long road if I'm gonna play decent golf. I am just wondering if No Turn Cast is a reasonable place for me to start trying to do things the right way? Or would I be better off with the Efficient Swing? I love going to the range to bang balls, so I don't mind practicing, and recording myself, but I hate that lingering feeling of "did I or did I not do that right"? With Monte's videos, are there concrete things I can track to see if I'm executing correctly?

I was hitting a lot of thin shots to the right lately and realized that I got the back swing and the cast A correct but I was still shallow with my body. My swing had been a bit steep to shallow before (right shoulder down) and now I was getting shallow early AND shallow late instead of shallow early and steep late. I am now trying to be steep late by getting the left shoulder down and around and voila perfect long push draws.

If you are hitting the ball thin and to the right make sure that you do not only focus on the shallow shaft but also on the steep body (down hill).

• Like 2

5 hours ago, japecoraro said:

Completely new to the site, mediocre golfer with a lot of bad swing habits that I just do so instinctively after years of doing things so incorrectly. I really want to try to work my way out of this, but my "feels" of the golf swing are generally so different from where I am out on video. The frustrating part for me has been watching/reading so much about the golf swing and what it's supposed to be, and then feeling like I am perpetually incapable of doing it right.

I would like to give Monte's stuff a shot, just to see if I can build something slowly, especially after seeing so many promising reviews. But given how flawed my swing is, I worry about my ability to "execute" what is being taught. It seems like most people here talking about Monte have been following his stuff for a long while, to the point people just talk about "casting" as if its meaning is obvious. I have no idea what people even mean when they say "cast". 

So I've obviously got a long road if I'm gonna play decent golf. I am just wondering if No Turn Cast is a reasonable place for me to start trying to do things the right way? Or would I be better off with the Efficient Swing? I love going to the range to bang balls, so I don't mind practicing, and recording myself, but I hate that lingering feeling of "did I or did I not do that right"? With Monte's videos, are there concrete things I can track to see if I'm executing correctly?

I would say to check out the No Turn Cast. He has a free video on set up and grip as well. If you like the range, and are willing to hit a bucket of balls working on a drill, then the NTC is a great way to go. I enjoyed it so much I purchased his driver program. I've had more progress in the last 4 days then I had in the entire year and a half prior.

15 hours ago, japecoraro said:

Honestly, getting some lessons with a local pro would be a good first step. I like Monte’s stuff, because it reinforces the diagnosis from my teacher. I was seriously overswinging and under using my arms in my swing. Thus, NTC is perfect for me.  Once you have an idea what in the swing you need help with, then it is easier to point where to get reinforcement 

22 hours ago, japecoraro said:

It's without a doubt the simplest complete swing system around. You cannot go wrong giving it a shot. 

Post a swing here and we'll keep you on track. 🙂

19 hours ago, TheDeanAbides said:

It's without a doubt the simplest complete swing system around. You cannot go wrong giving it a shot. 

Post a swing here and we'll keep you on track. 🙂

I agree with the above. This is coming from someone who was pretty much doing a complete swing rebuild. Simplest (as is a lot of Monte's stuff) is the key word for me here. For me, it built a really solid base to build a decent swing from. I've been working on the NTC, in conjunction with a few live online lessons with Monte, for over 7 months now. I've still got a LONG ways to go, but it's without a doubt greatly improved my full swing.

• Like 2

After a handful of range sessions practicing the NTC, I was able to put my progress to the test yesterday. Played a full round, and after a rough start, (no warm up) I am ecstatic with where I'm headed. Primarily focused on the backswing on course, the 2nd part of BS really allows me to not feel stuck and was able to hit some crisp long irons. 

The transition/cast is still a work in progress, even without focusing on that, my swing path is still shallower but needs a lot of work. Fortunately I have just the plan!

• Like 1

How do you guys feel about letting the lead wrist cup at the top with the driver? Letting it “break” is probably is probably a better description of how it feels.

Ive pretty well got a flat wrist ingrained but I’ve been having sore wrist and thumb issues lately. Been feeling really tight and restricted. Today I kinda just said screw it and let’s see what happens, rehearsed a cupped wrist at the top followed by an 8 o’clock cast, stepped up to the ball and picked up a ton more distance… but best of all my friggin wrist and thumb didn’t hurt at all. Thoughts?

Hi all,

Quick question - I know its almost impossible to diagnose a specific problem without seeing it but let me try...

NTC working a treat on irons so far (putting in the work starting on the short ones)... 

Two questions for anyone on the forum that can share thier learnings:

1. Driver is steep / going really high... - working hard on recentering, keeping the right shoulder high and “releasing the lag” towards 20:00. Does this sound like the right track? 

2. Use the bounce chipping - my chips are coming out lower than I would think... although much more forgiving on strike. Could it be that my right shoulder is dropping, same as driver? Or the right hand / arm stopping? 

Any thoughts would be appreciated! 

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 LS Driver, Project X Hzrdus Black, 70g 6.5

Cobra Fly Z Fairway, UST Elements Fire, 7F5 

Cobra Fly Z Hybrid, Aldila Tour Blue ATX85H 2.3-X

Srixon ZX7 MKII 4-PW, True Temper X100

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Biomech Acculock Ace / Ping B90 Broomstick

Yesterday on the range, my focus was short irons and fairway woods, both of which are really important to my game and most in need of work.

After hitting a few shots with my UW with pretty poor results (mostly fats, but some pulls too) I decided to try Monte's NTC drill and noticed an immediate and significant improvement in my ball striking. Fat shots largely went away, pulls went away and I started hitting my short irons (9-UW) with nice baby draws. I used the same approach for my 5W and once I got the ball position right, the same thing happened.

Thus far, I have only seen Monte's video of the drill from youtube (and I think linked here) but after yesterday, plan to buy his video lessons on NTC, which seems like a great approach to the swing. As I mentioned on another thread, it seems pretty similar to MDLT's method too.  

Edited by Bob M
spelling

Clubs: Ping (Driver, 5W, 5H, 6H, 7i-UW), Cleveland (wedges), Odyssey 2-Ball counter balanced

Ball: Maxfli Tour (yellow) or Vice Pro (neon lime); Callaway ORG 7 bag; Shot Scope x5

Some fascinating instruction topics.  I'm a very rare poster but struggled with shanks for a while till I understood my cause was rolling the club inside.  Once that is part of your swing it will always be there till you essentially change your backswing methodology imo. 

Overall I've been hitting it great recently but I crave a consistent approach.  

I have recently been using the Jim Waldron ASI approach. .... Eye opening. Getting stuck is one of the reasons I early extended and hosel rocketed all over the place.   I have also bought the NTC video .....

For me it's critical to keep the arms in front on chest as any deeper = stuck.   I love the concept of the no turn - my question is around the "arms pointing to 7 o'clock"......  Is the move to 7 o'clock rather than 6 o'clock a mechanism to automatically get the body to make the appropriate level of turn?

Are there similarities between NTC and ASI in what they achieve? 

On 8/12/2021 at 10:00 PM, KD1 said:

How do you guys feel about letting the lead wrist cup at the top with the driver? Letting it “break” is probably is probably a better description of how it feels.

Ive pretty well got a flat wrist ingrained but I’ve been having sore wrist and thumb issues lately. Been feeling really tight and restricted. Today I kinda just said screw it and let’s see what happens, rehearsed a cupped wrist at the top followed by an 8 o’clock cast, stepped up to the ball and picked up a ton more distance… but best of all my friggin wrist and thumb didn’t hurt at all. Thoughts?

Do you have a strong grip?

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Titleist 917F3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X (Ai Smoke TD otw)
Titleist T200 3 UB Thump 90-X / TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

On 8/18/2021 at 7:21 AM, ewaldbeukes said:

Hi all,

Quick question - I know its almost impossible to diagnose a specific problem without seeing it but let me try...

NTC working a treat on irons so far (putting in the work starting on the short ones)... 

Two questions for anyone on the forum that can share thier learnings:

1. Driver is steep / going really high... - working hard on recentering, keeping the right shoulder high and “releasing the lag” towards 20:00. Does this sound like the right track? 

2. Use the bounce chipping - my chips are coming out lower than I would think... although much more forgiving on strike. Could it be that my right shoulder is dropping, same as driver? Or the right hand / arm stopping? 

Any thoughts would be appreciated! 

My advice pertaining to the driver.... 

Pay the $16 and watch the drive for dough course. While he doesnt talk NTC (as this was filmed quite a while prior) I found it amazing how the concepts align. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/13/2021 at 4:00 AM, KD1 said:

Plenty have a cup in the lead wrist especially with a strong grip.  It just requires a bigger redirection to cast to 8. 

With a flat wrist cast A is much more of a ulnar feeling.  I suppose if it feels better and you can get it done in time then no problem.

As a puller my bad shots are better with a flat wrist at the top. Being more laid off at the top makes me less steep when things aren't synced up right.

See what Monte suggests.

Edited by Hilts1969

13 hours ago, Chonchgolf said:

Went out and played yesterday and was pulling a majority of my shots. Much better then a slice of the tee box but just wanted to know if that’s normal process?

In a word, Yes. Keep working on it.

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

So after reading this forum for a while and losing my club championship last weekend I decided I would purchase the no turn cast.

After one range session I already feel confident with the swing. I've Always been one to "clear my hips" which to me meant fire then as fast and quick as I can. (Duck hook flip)

My backswing isn't perfect to a teeike in the videos, but the downswing is, and that is where this program really got my brain thinking.

All in all this is a great purchase for sure. All myife I was told to fire hips and swing as hard as you want.

I've never posted before but here's the first one, just wanted to share my experience. I'd post my swings but I don't know how. 

Cheers Brando

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Golfbeat said:

Just to add that it also need to go around not just down. For me as a feeling that is very important.

Agreed because you can still throw the club at the ball with a stalled body from that point. Blending shallowing the club with rotation is hard. For me very hard.

I rotate and the hands naturally want to go out towards target line.

I shallow but I don't rotate and dump. 

The question is do you add one then the other or try to do both. All lead to big misses on the course. The down and Round leads to some epic pulls. The dump is more manageable but the misses can be either way.

I should probably stay off the course but I like playing too much.

• Like 1

I have been implementing NTC for the past several rounds. I was working on the swing change about mid season but then I had my club championship so reverted back to my old swing so I wouldn't be playing golf swing and could just score and play target golf...but I digress...

For me, I definitely still have too much overswing in the backswing but even so my ballstriking is very repeatable. The feel FOR ME is to just throw everything from the transition the ulnar deviation cast sensation even with the overswing -- as seen when taking video -- and it works. My typical shot shape is a cut but with this swing I pull everything left to try and compensate for the cut. So now all I do is just aim straight to the target slight left or right of it and the ball either has a slight fade or slight draw otherwise straight. It's remarkable.

My miss hits with this swing are low off the face with driver and occasionally fat toe strikes with the irons which I can tell on those swings I am getting too steep. If I just trust leading the DS with the hands and don't try to get into right tilt or slide into the ball the ballstriking is very consistent. Still trying to get the BS shorter but I know that will take time to groove. My brain just can't conceptualize it yet.

Also, still trying to find the feel with wedge approach shots especially those in between yardages. I've found that with the gap and lob wedge if its not a near full swing I get a lot more turf behind the ball and it's harder to manage distance control. I may have to have a different feel for these shots. So that's my NTC evolution. Hope everyone is enjoying this new AH HA swing. Monte is right on the money and I hope this swing approach becomes more mainstream golf instruction because it's the only thing that truly makes sense from a pure physics standpoint.

• Like 3

Cobra King F9 Speedback 9PX EvenFlow White T-1100 6.5-X 75g

Cobra King F9 Speedback Baffler Tour 4-5 17.5GD Tour AD TP-8x

Cobra King RAD Speed 21*  UST Mamiya Recoil ESX 480 F5

Callaway '09 X-Forged 4-5i  PX Flighted 6.0

Titleist 910H 27Oban Kiyoshi Purple 05 100
Cobra S3 Pro Forged CB/MB 6-PW  TT DG TI S400
Titleist Vokey Sm7 52/58*  TT DG S200
Bettinardi  '19 Queen B #6  35"

Titleist AVX/ProV1-V1x

^ I strongly feel the NTC should be the benchmark swing for all golfers. Austin, Torres, even Jack Nicklaus -- to name a few -- have alluded to it for years but none have actively taught it and explained the science behind it and how to actually implement it. Monte has. 

The best part about NTC is once you find the feel it is the easiest swing to repeat. Maybe more importantly, there is so little strain on the body. It feels effortless. My swing through the years has always felt not quite there. It never felt natural -- kind of like I was fighting something and couldn't quite find out how to shake it. NTC gave me that AH HA moment as I alluded to above. I just had to throw "conventional" golf wisdom out the window and implement this swing. All the years of thinking I've got it almost figured out or "I'm almost there" are gone. Now all I have to do is stick with this swing because it is THE swing. Practice will be to fine tune it and master it through reps and then those compensatory strategies will slowly fade away. Stick with it folks!

• Like 1

Cobra King F9 Speedback 9PX EvenFlow White T-1100 6.5-X 75g

Cobra King F9 Speedback Baffler Tour 4-5 17.5GD Tour AD TP-8x

Cobra King RAD Speed 21*  UST Mamiya Recoil ESX 480 F5

Callaway '09 X-Forged 4-5i  PX Flighted 6.0

Titleist 910H 27Oban Kiyoshi Purple 05 100
Cobra S3 Pro Forged CB/MB 6-PW  TT DG TI S400
Titleist Vokey Sm7 52/58*  TT DG S200
Bettinardi  '19 Queen B #6  35"

Titleist AVX/ProV1-V1x

3 minutes ago, BTP said:

Stick with it folks!

That's truly the hardest thing to do. Too many false promises and shiny objects. It's like asking a meth addict to stop using. No one has the patience nor the will if it doesn't work well immediately.

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.