Monte's new No Turn - Cast

Hawkeye77

3 hours ago, TheDeanAbides said:

Have you videoed your swing? Also how long have you been working on it with NTC?

I have done some video, but not the last few range sessions due to the setup of the bays not allowing for face on shots. In my earlier videos a few weeks back, I did notice some early extension and sliding, so I have been focused on trying to correct that, but the corrections haven't made a positive impact on the ball flight (Yeah, I know give it time). I am going to try and get some video this week since it is sunny and dry and I can setup with my net at home rather than under cover at the range.

Have been doing the drills at home ~5 days a week for at least 5 minutes then a range session and was playing a 9 hole fall league once a week for the last 8 weeks. Trying to get it so I can play 18 before the weather shuts down the season.

17 minutes ago, osueng02 said:

I have done some video, but not the last few range sessions due to the setup of the bays not allowing for face on shots. In my earlier videos a few weeks back, I did notice some early extension and sliding, so I have been focused on trying to correct that, but the corrections haven't made a positive impact on the ball flight (Yeah, I know give it time). I am going to try and get some video this week since it is sunny and dry and I can setup with my net at home rather than under cover at the range.

Have been doing the drills at home ~5 days a week for at least 5 minutes then a range session and was playing a 9 hole fall league once a week for the last 8 weeks. Trying to get it so I can play 18 before the weather shuts down the season.

Thanks for the info. Firstly, regarding your EE: can you take a photo at home of your setup position with a ball from DTL? Might be a setup issue that's contributing to the EE.

With regard to seeing improvements: was that at least five mins a day and one range session a week for 8 weeks? If so then you need to be realistic. There's not a frozen ball of water's chance in the Bad Place that you're going to "get it" in that time. I don't know what standard you are, but I was a decent player and I spent two months hitting balls for an hour every single day plus dry work at home (all with wedges just on P3 swings) before I even attempted Cast A. That made a huge difference.

Hit a thousand balls with every one of them hit with intention and then see where you are. You'll probably see a small difference, but if you're doing it correctly you'll be a little better by the spring. Do hundreds of slow reps at home with a mirror will help, but it's still more realistic to think of it as a two year project that'll help change your golfing life forever. 

Edited by TheDeanAbides
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, TheDeanAbides said:

Thanks for the info. Firstly, regarding your EE: can you take a photo at home of your setup position with a ball from DTL? Might be a setup issue that's contributing to the EE.

With regard to seeing improvements: was that at least five mins a day and one range session a week for 8 weeks? If so then you need to be realistic. There's not a frozen ball of water's chance in the Bad Place that you're going to "get it" in that time. I don't know what standard you are, but I was a decent player and I spent two months hitting balls for an hour every single day plus dry work at home (all with wedges just on P3 swings) before I even attempted Cast A. That made a huge difference.

Hit a thousand balls with every one of them hit with intention and then see where you are. You'll probably see a small difference, but if you're doing it correctly you'll be a little better by the spring. Do hundreds of slow reps at home with a mirror will help, but it's still more realistic to think of it as a two year project that'll help change your golfing life forever. 

Mmmh! Not sure if this sounds a bit overkill. In (at least the broom force videos) Monte says do the reps about 3 or so times then do your "normal" swing for a few balls and rinse and repeat. The idea I assume is the changes that the reps are intended to achieve will gradually be incorporated into your "normal" swing.

In theory you could try this on the course...practice swing = 1 rep then do "normal" swing.

8 minutes ago, Nickc said:

Mmmh! Not sure if this sounds a bit overkill. In (at least the broom force videos) Monte says do the reps about 3 or so times then do your "normal" swing for a few balls and rinse and repeat. The idea I assume is the changes that the reps are intended to achieve will gradually be incorporated into your "normal" swing.

In theory you could try this on the course...practice swing = 1 rep then do "normal" swing.

That can work when you've done some groundwork on the range and at home so you know the feel is correct. 

Question regarding the wrist hinge onthe backswing. I have always been laid off at the top due to rolling the left forearm during the backswing. While laid off, my wrist was flat to bowed which made the cast feel more natural. I'm now hinging much earlier and avoiding the roll which gets me in a better position at the top, but I'm finding my wrist is ever so slightly cupped, which makes the cast harder. Should I try to force the flat wrist during the backswing or flatten/bow it during transition just before the cast? Could do with a steer here to avoid going down a rabbit hole!

1 hour ago, Doodlebug87 said:

Question regarding the wrist hinge onthe backswing. I have always been laid off at the top due to rolling the left forearm during the backswing. While laid off, my wrist was flat to bowed which made the cast feel more natural. I'm now hinging much earlier and avoiding the roll which gets me in a better position at the top, but I'm finding my wrist is ever so slightly cupped, which makes the cast harder. Should I try to force the flat wrist during the backswing or flatten/bow it during transition just before the cast? Could do with a steer here to avoid going down a rabbit hole!

Can you show us? A tiny cup is okay but it's largely dependent on your grip strength. If you have a strong left hand grip a small amount of cupping is fine but if it's neutral you really do want to try to get it flat if possible. 

Don't think of it as forcing it flat in the backswing; think of it as making it neutral. 

As always it's better if we can see what you're doing on video.

Hi all, I've decided to go back to the NTC drill to try and improve my EE and overall ball striking. I'm being more methodical about my practice this time around and not letting the many mishits put me off the process. I'd really appreciate some feedback with regards to whether I'm making the correct moves? One thing in particular that I notice from all my recordings is that I have a big head and shoulder dip towards the ball when I make my downswing. Why is that happening? Am I in a bad position at the top or after cast A that causes me to make some kinda lunge? 2 swings below to show you what I mean... 

As I'm working on ntc and broom force thought I would put this here it's not ideal as a video but it was taken quickly as a warm up with restrictions on the range. Long term problems for me have been.

Arm overswing(looks better) 

Cupped wrist at top(looks better)

Big gap with trail arm and torso(better no huge gap but still not great)

Early extension(can't see any but face on but no tell tale sign of head lifting)

The left leg is concerning me collapses in the backswing and takes too long IMHO to get the knee back over the foot. Any thoughts? Hitting easy 8 irons 

All these shots were good but on the course starting hitting too many a bit fat.

1 hour ago, Hilts1969 said:

As I'm working on ntc and broom force thought I would put this here it's not ideal as a video but it was taken quickly as a warm up with restrictions on the range. Long term problems for me have been.

Early extension(can't see any but face on but no tell tale sign of head lifting)

The left leg is concerning me collapses in the backswing and takes too long IMHO to get the knee back over the foot. Any thoughts? Hitting easy 8 irons 

All these shots were good but on the course starting hitting too many a bit fat.

Looking good, man!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hilts1969 said:

All these shots were good but on the course starting hitting too many a bit fat

I've just diagnosed this in my own swing and have been working on it. Of course I've read Monte's diagnosis probably a dozen times across different threads, but it just didn't click until recently. Essentially the hip turn is too flat, the pelvis needs to be more in line with the spine, otherwise known as anterior pelvic tilt. The feel is simple though, just try to keep your belt buckle pointed a little more down towards the ground, less level with the ground. You'll instantly see that your lead knee will only kick in a tiny bit but most of the flex will be out towards the toe.  Another video that should help on that topic. 

Edited by Simpsonia
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Simpsonia said:

I've just diagnosed this in my own swing and have been working on it. Of course I've read Monte's diagnosis probably a dozen times across different threads, but it just didn't click until recently. Essentially the hip turn is too flat, the pelvis needs to be more in line with the spine, otherwise known as anterior pelvic tilt. The feel is simple though, just try to keep your belt buckle pointed a little more down towards the ground, less level with the ground. You'll instantly see that your lead knee will only kick in a tiny bit but most of the flex will be out towards the toe.  Another video that should help on that topic. 

Thanks for that I'm working on a slighter wider stance and controlling that left knee. This game you work on one thing and another goes south haha

I have the feeling the heavy restrictive  jacket helped with shortening the swing but made the pelvis collapse a bit. By left arm parallel or a tad above I would love to control that pelvis and have more chest rotation.

12 hours ago, Simpsonia said:

This. 👍🏻👍🏻

Any coupon codes? Wondering if I should buy now or wait until black friday...

TaylorMade Original One 10* // OG Grafalloy Blue x-flex

TaylorMade SIM UDI 18* // Diamana Thump 100 x-flex

Srixon U85 23* // Modus 120x
Mizuno JPX919 Tour 5-PW // TT X100

Vokey // SM7 50-54-58 // TT X100

Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport  

On 11/9/2021 at 10:45 PM, Simpsonia said:

This may help as well

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nickc said:

This may help as well

His hips don't look anymore tilted than mine and his left knee kicks in. My narrow stance makes mine look worse. What he does do is start to get that left knee back over his toes before left arm parallel. It starts as the club is ending the backswing. Mine gets there at about hands waist high on the downswing. I think mine tilt but the pelvis as a whole goes down in the backswing. 

2 hours ago, Hilts1969 said:

His hips don't look anymore tilted than mine and his left knee kicks in. My narrow stance makes mine look worse. What he does do is start to get that left knee back over his toes before left arm parallel. It starts as the club is ending the backswing. Mine gets there at about hands waist high on the downswing. I think mine tilt but the pelvis as a whole goes down in the backswing. 

Some guys, who have the talent and timing of a tour pro (Paddy is a Euro tour pro), let the hips get a little flatter so that they can get some more hip turn in the backswing (Others like DJ just keep the pelvis tilted the whole time). To be able to clear the left hip they have to rapidly get back into anterior pelvic tilt (belt buckle facing down) in transition to allow the left hip to get back underneath them. If you watch Paddy's belt buckle in his transition move,  the first thing he does is get that belt buckle pointing toward the ground. 

That gets to the second point, there are two different types of pelvic tilt. You have the tilt as it relates to the ground (left hip lower than right hip at the top of the backswing), but also tilt as it relates to the spine (belt buckle down). Here's an illustration of the latter. You don't need a ton of it, and it can be overdone, but you do need some. 

spacer.png

On 11/9/2021 at 2:20 PM, Hilts1969 said:

As always, no coach here so I won't say much but  . . . I like the sound of those shots!

• Like 1

Countdown to The Masters has begun!

5 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

As always, no coach here so I won't say much but  . . . I like the sound of those shots!

They were well struck but as is life it started to go south on the course. Never missed a fairway/ first cut until the 17th but I was way down on distance with the driver. Irons distance was more acceptable. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hilts1969 said:

They were well struck but as is life it started to go south on the course. Never missed a fairway/ first cut until the 17th but I was way down on distance with the driver. Irons distance was more acceptable. 

With what I've been working on with irons, driver just has been sort of coming along on its own and the same intents with my wrists and transition for the irons just isn't something that worked too well when I'd try and (me only) force driver into the equation.  Was seeing some good results late season with driver, but now I have to sit and wait until probably late March to really find out!

• Like 1

Countdown to The Masters has begun!

I'm going to post a video tomorrow but I'm in desperate need of help. After making a number of changes I'm stuck in a rabbit hole to the point where I have no idea what I'm doing. I have taken it back to basics and started again with the cast a drill. The drill works fine with a great launch angle and draw but I cant for the life of me get it working in a swing with any effort. If I focus on the wrists, the momentum of my hands/arms coming down just overrides the casting of the wrists. If I try throwing to 8 instead my arms are getting stuck behind me and I'm coming in with a well open face. I'm losing the will to live as mishits are extreme and I literally can't play golf at the moment with how poor my swing currently is 😞

I just want to say thanks for making this "drill" in to a full instruction video. It is the single greatest instruction out there, period.

I know Monte prescribes to the rule of drills in practice and just swing when playing, but for me when my swing goes off the rails mid round, I take a few practice NTC swings and the feel of the body rotation thru the ball helps me get back on track. 

On 11/5/2021 at 11:40 PM, YouDaHamHider said:

Hi all, I've decided to go back to the NTC drill to try and improve my EE and overall ball striking. I'm being more methodical about my practice this time around and not letting the many mishits put me off the process. I'd really appreciate some feedback with regards to whether I'm making the correct moves? One thing in particular that I notice from all my recordings is that I have a big head and shoulder dip towards the ball when I make my downswing. Why is that happening? Am I in a bad position at the top or after cast A that causes me to make some kinda lunge? 2 swings below to show you what I mean... 

I've been working all week on what Monte told me about elbow and shoulder internal/external rotation and I think I've made a breakthrough! Getting my elbow out in front of me while casting certainly feels like a game changer.... or am I being delusional? New pattern and my adaptation of the drill can be seen below, is there any downside to pumping the transition once or twice before hitting it?