This Mike Malaska video changed my golf game :) I understand what pivot is now !

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5YBQ9vyL4s   This recent video by Malaska and Eric Cogorno has changed my ball striking.    1 swing thought: as the club head comes into the ball , use the

I'll add this to my 500 swing thoughts while I top the ball and hit grounders after confusing the ever living s*** out of myself. 

My career best today 73 !    And Shot 78, 80 , 77 , 75 since finding this video after averaging  mid to high 80s all season.    The difference it makes not having early extension in the

Posted Images

1 hour ago, NotThatGuyorAmI? said:

I recently concluded in rebuilding my swing from scratch that the key to the backswing was the movement of the right hip up and back, which seems to me altogether consistent with the left hip moving up and back on the downswing, weight going to the appropriate heel in either case.  I came to this conclusion after watching a Cogorno video about tiling the left shoulder down in the backswing, after I realized I ( and a lot of other people) have flat shoulder planes.  That tilt sort of forced my right hip up and back as I turned, and opened up the way for my club to swing back on plane, left arm extended, flat left wrist, weigh on right heel, all the things I had always been told are supposed to happen.  It seemed to move my torso out of the way in the backswing.  I have maybe a dozen golf books and don’t remember any of them attaching particular importance to the hips or describing how they should move in any way I could understand.  None of them explain how your shoulders which start of tilted in relation to the spine end up without that tilt at the top of the swing.

What’s also interesting is that when the right hip moves up and back, it does not “turn” that much, less than 45 degrees, in terms of degrees on a circle, so maybe there is something to that x factor after all.

The up and back movements of the right and left hip in back swing and down swing changed how I perceived the golf swing. 

and like you said , I couldn’t believe it was never articulated in that manner before. Why couldn’t someone somewhere a long time ago tell me this stuff lol. 

As Malaska says in the video too, “you can’t see a golf swing” you only see the results of the forces so when you push right hip up and back and left hip up and back with linear forces, you see that on video and it looks like you’ve turned or spun those hips.  But in reality those are results of the linear forces of the hip sockets going back. This was the key for me.

And on camera, it’s like it did 5-6 things for me I always tried to force but could never achieve. 

All from thinking, “push left hip socket back as I strike the ball.” 

Now it looks like I’m squatting and firing those hips open at impact on camera as opposed to standing up and goat humping into the shot with square hips at impact. 

This was finally the key for me to truly understand the pivot. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, New_age99 said:

I've been a long time lurker here on the forums and could never find something to click for me. I read this earlier and watched the video and went to the driving range and it all finally clicked for me.

This has to be the most under rated video i've ever seen. It accomplishes so many things I always tried to do but couldn't and the more i tried to force these positions in the swing the more out of wack I got.

As a life long early extender I knew the second I watched this that it was finally going to be the key I needed.

The timing couldn't have been better either as me and my buddy have our annual two man scramble coming up in a couple of weeks.

My only question is why the hell hasn't anymore else explained the pivot like Mike in this video? Why did I have to go through life without this knowledge before? lol

Straight line forces , straighten the left leg and push the hip socket back AT THE SAME TIME your club is coming into the the ball was the holy grail for me as I always threw the hips out way too early thinking that was a proper pivot. 

One range session is a small sample I know. But leaps and bounds so far compared to where my balls were going.

Thank you so much for posting this and getting me back in the right path. I just want to have fun on the course again and hit good bad shots.

Glad it already helped someone else ! It’s a good feeling my friend. 

The forces of what make a golf swing happen are what we need to learn and then the body’s motion is a symptom.

My whole life I would try and mimic the “symptoms” of a good golf swing instead of the forces and concepts that make those motions happen. 

• Like 1

Straightening the left leg used to be the way to do it until TW blew his knee out various times. This is definitely not a move anyone with bad knees should try.

I'm kind of surprised Malaska is talking about this when his other videos speak about the speed coming from the hands and arms almost exclusively and I'm happy that he recognizes the importance of the lower body in generating clubhead speed, although springing off both legs with more emphasis on the right would be preferable imo as opposed to snapping the left leg.

Edited by chipa
  • Confused 1

'98 Big Bertha 12 and 16.5 deg. Accuflex Ultraboom, Acer XV Pro 4i Accuflex Assassin II, Acer XV Tour 5i-S, FST 115, Bionik 101

Not that guy,

Thanks for the reply. I'm just a bit frustrated at this point. I've gone through a lot of swing changes since I decided that my natural over the top swing needed to be changed if I was ever going to "GET GUD" at this game. I wish I had done that when I was a bit younger and less injured. I'm currently working on stack and tilt as it's pretty basic and doesn't confuse the hell out of me like Gankas/Nakjavani and co. (not that there is anything wrong with those guys, they're amazing coaches just way too advanced for me).. I definitely vibe with this video as the "rotate" stuff really got me going bad as I was rotating my torso/shoulders and would end up twisting and still ending up OTT. As someone who struggles with a single plane swing due to big chest/shoulders (lots of weights in my athletic background - 23 years of them) and elbow problems, I'd love to find a way to have a more vertical backswing and still flatten the club into the slot on the downswing. I've struggled mightily with doing just that. I certainly like some aspects of S&T, but the single plane backswing is very painful and uncomfortable for me. Having a baseball background I feel much more natural with a two plane swing. 

28 minutes ago, chipa said:

Straightening the left leg used to be the way to do it until TW blew his knee out various times. This is definitely not a move anyone with bad knees should try.

I'm kind of surprised Malaska is talking about this when his other videos speak about the speed coming from the hands and arms almost exclusively and I'm happy that he recognizes the importance of the lower body in generating clubhead speed, although springing off both legs with more emphasis on the right would be preferable imo as opposed to snapping the left leg.

You can straighten your leg going into impact  without snapping it. Hogan and Snead had some of the deepest left hips at impact and they did it without blowing their knees.  I’ve done what tiger did and just practicing it for a short period my left knee started aching.  Extending the knee to push the left hip back for whatever reason affects my knee in a totally different manner probably because it’s not done violently. 

• Like 2

Enjoyed the video. Any worries about a reverse pivot?

• Like 1

TaylorMade Kingdom M4 9.5* Red 5S stiff Atmos 44.5” vs Callaway Max 10.5* Rogue Max
TaylorMade M4 3HL 16.5* fairway stiff Atmos vs Callaway Max 15*
TaylorMade M4 3 hybrid stiff Atmos
TaylorMade M4 4 hybrid stiff Atmos
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven TU, Seemore si3, si5, Directed Force Reno, PING Ketsch
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Shot Scope V3

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

I took this idea to the range this evening and it seems to work for me too. I’m interested to see it on video but I didn’t have my tripod handy. 

It didn’t introduce a reverse pivot for me, at least. I found myself naturally reaching a great full follow through without really thinking about that. 

What is it Malaska says in the video? There’s really not a weight shift as much as a “redistribution of force” I think? 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, me05501 said:

I took this idea to the range this evening and it seems to work for me too. I’m interested to see it on video but I didn’t have my tripod handy. 

It didn’t introduce a reverse pivot for me, at least. I found myself naturally reaching a great full follow through without really thinking about that. 

What is it Malaska says in the video? There’s really not a weight shift as much as a “redistribution of force” I think? 

Malaska is a smart guy, but he does play fast and loose with some terms.  Weight is a force (technically force due to gravity - your body mass times gravitational acceleration).  However, the point he is making is that there are other forces in play as well that are equally important to getting your body weight over your lead foot/heel.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, chipa said:

Try watching the video again... Malaska specifically states it is not about snapping the left leg straight. Go to the 5 minute mark... at 5:14 there’s a giant overlay on the screen “You want to keep your leg flexed”...

B49F6BC0-677D-43CE-9541-240D18EAC9E8.png

• Like 2

The sacroiliac joints link the iliac bone of the pelvis to the sacrum of the lower spine . These 2 joints ( one on either side ) are stabilized by a network of ligaments and muscles  ; they are designed for stability and weight bearing and allow for very little motion ,about 3-5 mm.

Thus ,any  angular movement by the pelvis can not result from rotation around a central point .Instead it MUST result from positional changes of the head of the femur bone within the hip joint , which is what Mr Malaska is describing .

Very few top ball strikers SNAP the knee straight at impact like the early Tiger. . Doing so is probably a recipe for future injuries . Better to think that the lead leg is in the process of straightening at impact, but is NOT straight .

Every top golfer has lateral motion in their transition / downswing . This lateral motion is more evident with the driver due to a wider stance and less so with a wedge  for the same reason .Lateral  motion usually starts in the later stages of the backswing , while the upper body is still turning back.Less talented golfers who have too much lateral motion , with the outside of the lead hip moving beyond the outside of their lead foot limit their potential rotation at impact since they are already at the end of their range of motion. 

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, ThinkingPlus said:

Malaska is a smart guy, but he does play fast and loose with some terms.  Weight is a force (technically force due to gravity - your body mass times gravitational acceleration).  However, the point he is making is that there are other forces in play as well that are equally important to getting your body weight over your lead foot/heel.

I think in *all* coaching it’s important to think of the impact your words will have on what your student is already inclined to hear, or what they have previously been told. The words you use can be very effective even if they aren’t perfectly accurate. 

I think a lot of people who slide think they’re correctly performing a “weight shift.” Technically they’re sort of right, but the weight shift they’re doing is counter-productive. 

The same can be true of so many terms. Think about the subtle differences between “pressure” and “force,” or “squeeze” and “crush.” 

I’ve come to understand that I perform better with positive instruction over negative. My brain works better with “do this” instruction than with “avoid that” commands. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, coops said:

Try watching the video again... Malaska specifically states it is not about snapping the left leg straight. Go to the 5 minute mark... at 5:14 there’s a giant overlay on the screen “You want to keep your leg flexed”...

B49F6BC0-677D-43CE-9541-240D18EAC9E8.png

I see what you are saying and I also see that when he does it his leg appears almost straight. I think this exercise will be problematic for those with questionable knees because how can one know how much their leg is bending during a driver downswing? All it takes is a couple of bad swings straightening the left leg. I think it would be much safer to focus on the right leg and getting the left foot up on its toes which allows time for the left foot to turn out as necessary for big swings. This technique was very common in the hickory era from the videos I've seen.

'98 Big Bertha 12 and 16.5 deg. Accuflex Ultraboom, Acer XV Pro 4i Accuflex Assassin II, Acer XV Tour 5i-S, FST 115, Bionik 101

12 hours ago, chipa said:

I see what you are saying and I also see that when he does it his leg appears almost straight. I think this exercise will be problematic for those with questionable knees because how can one know how much their leg is bending during a driver downswing? All it takes is a couple of bad swings straightening the left leg. I think it would be much safer to focus on the right leg and getting the left foot up on its toes which allows time for the left foot to turn out as necessary for big swings. This technique was very common in the hickory era from the videos I've seen.

I feel nothing in my knee when I don’t this. I sort of feel it all in my left but cheek and a tiny bit in my  left IT band.

Mike goes through a section in this video on how this is completely different then straightening the left leg which is what he calls one of  the biggest Problems in the industry right now people trying to post up and snap that left knee straight which is the cause of bad golf and injuries.  

Your left leg is flexed at the top of the back swing as you start down there’s going to be a varying degree of linear depending on the golfer as you transfer force from right to left side aka the squat, then as the left hip clears ( hip socket moving out of the way , the lead leg has to lose some of the flex it gained by the end of the swing. 

This is totally different than snapping your leg / knee straight. 

The forces drive the swing and if you see someone use the tips in this video on camera you would not say they snapped their left knee you would think they performed a sound pivot.   

Left hip socket back as you approach impact was the only concept that ever got me to keep

my tush line and open my hips at impact. Any thing else was always goat humping 101. 

This is my take anyway I’m far from a guru. 

• Like 3

Another range session plus a round of golf and just wow!

I feel so in control of the club face now. It's like the club coming through the golf ball at the same  time the hip socket goes back makes me feel where the club face is at all times. It's crazy how late my arms were in unison to my "goat humping" before finding this video. I would goat hump and thrust forward, those arms would come supper late and it was block city or pull hook city.  I would even get advice however from people telling me  I'm still not firing my hips early enough!!! Any wonder I was about to quit this game.

My arms and hips now "feel"  like they're connected as the same unit working at the same time through the ball. But on camera it looks like the hips are firing first and the arms trail.

A position I used to try and force and get into but never could,  I can now achieve ironically by "feeling like" im doing the opposite.

It's also made me have no back swing thoughts. Not thinking about my wrists, forearms, shoulders. Just taking the club back and then thinking hips (hip socket back) at the same time as the arms through impact. It's fun when this game is fun. If this keeps up I'll have to start working on chipping and putting ? haha

• Like 3

WOW. Thanks OP this video is incredible.  This really clicks because I have chronic issues with my hips misbehaving in my pivot and have been told/instructed over and over by various coaches to "turn more".  This makes a ton of sense, and its kind of consistent with what is said about the trail leg in the backswing "let it straighten" to enhance the hip turn.  

I was once instructed to hit balls off a thick yoga mat, and that helped with my pivot to achieve what this thought is accomplishing, but I couldn't transfer the feel when I was off the mat.  This is it. 

• Like 2

I posted a question on here about iron divots which got zero traction (thanks everyone! Lol)

[Preface - my post was after I had gone to the range Monday, and played Saturday, with the same problem and could not fix it on the range.]

However, shortly after I wrote that post, I went to this thread and watched this video. Went to the range about 2 hours later... 

I have never consistently hit my irons as well as I did after implementing this tip. Like the guy says in the video “this one tip activates like 6 different things I need to do in my swing all at once.” And it truly does. It gave me the ability to clear my head of all the tips I had previously stored in my head that would mess me up. 

I didn’t necessarily gain any more distance (my distances are pretty good - 9 iron 155-165), but it immediately made my aim and my consistency shoot through the roof. I was even striping my 4-iron consistently straight, with a high ball flight (which never happened before), over 200 every time. 

This tip may not help everyone, but it surely helped me. I genuinely would advise every mid-handicapper to watch it. 

• Like 3

I'm at a couple range sessions and a half round of golf since trying this move, and I'm digging it too. I flushed more shots on the course yesterday than I have in a long time. I wasn't trusting it enough with my driver and didn't get off the tee how I wanted, but a range session today helped me straighten that out. Turns out I need to feel a little closer to the ball at setup since my hip is actually clearing as it should and the hands have enough room to stay close to my body all the way through the swing. With that little tweak I was hitting my driver very well on the range today. 

Another round tomorrow. 

• Like 2

I mentioned in the Monte "new No Turn Cast" thread that I'm currently going through a nasty stretch of a lost swing. About two months ago or so I started hitting block fades all the time, especially off the tee, and I cannot stop doing it. The ball starts a little right of my aim line and keeps going right. I feel loaded with swing thoughts and feels and just generally unathletic. I know the cause of the right miss is that I'm not squaring the club face, but I can't do anything to correct my open face at impact.

I watched this video last night, which is typically not a good idea when you have a tee time the next morning. I kinda shrugged it off. I mean, I cannot possibly add ANOTHER body part to worry about. I'm already thinking about my wrists, shoulder turn, and right leg, I'm not adding the left hip to that list.

Fast forward to this morning. I'm hitting more uncontrollable right fades. Out of frustration on the 9th hole, I decide to just try what I gleaned from this Malaska video. I've got two thoughts: left shoulder down to ball, and then on the downswing left hip up and back when my arms are coming into the picture.

BAM. No more uncontrollable fades. Literally the first ball I hit while doing this was a nuked 3 wood right down the middle. Then it happened over and over again. The ball was going straight with just a little baby cut, not a big fade into the rough.

I really, really don't want to consider this a magic move or something, but I cannot deny how much better I was hitting the ball when I applied it. 

• Like 3

Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 10.5 deg

Callaway Mavrik 3 wood

Cobra F9 5 Wood

Srixon H45 4 hybrid

Srixon 565 5-AW

Ping Glide 3.0 54 & 60 deg.

Bettinardi Studio Stock 17

6 hours ago, MaineMariner said:

I mentioned in the Monte "new No Turn Cast" thread that I'm currently going through a nasty stretch of a lost swing. About two months ago or so I started hitting block fades all the time, especially off the tee, and I cannot stop doing it. The ball starts a little right of my aim line and keeps going right. I feel loaded with swing thoughts and feels and just generally unathletic. I know the cause of the right miss is that I'm not squaring the club face, but I can't do anything to correct my open face at impact.

I watched this video last night, which is typically not a good idea when you have a tee time the next morning. I kinda shrugged it off. I mean, I cannot possibly add ANOTHER body part to worry about. I'm already thinking about my wrists, shoulder turn, and right leg, I'm not adding the left hip to that list.

Fast forward to this morning. I'm hitting more uncontrollable right fades. Out of frustration on the 9th hole, I decide to just try what I gleaned from this Malaska video. I've got two thoughts: left shoulder down to ball, and then on the downswing left hip up and back when my arms are coming into the picture.

BAM. No more uncontrollable fades. Literally the first ball I hit while doing this was a nuked 3 wood right down the middle. Then it happened over and over again. The ball was going straight with just a little baby cut, not a big fade into the rough.

I really, really don't want to consider this a magic move or something, but I cannot deny how much better I was hitting the ball when I applied it. 

I'm pumped to hear it's helped another person!

Sometimes all we need is a different perspective on how to make the same move we've always been after.

I've always been a conceptual learner in everything I've done, so Malaska really clicks with my learning style.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, me05501 said:

I'm at a couple range sessions and a half round of golf since trying this move, and I'm digging it too. I flushed more shots on the course yesterday than I have in a long time. I wasn't trusting it enough with my driver and didn't get off the tee how I wanted, but a range session today helped me straighten that out. Turns out I need to feel a little closer to the ball at setup since my hip is actually clearing as it should and the hands have enough room to stay close to my body all the way through the swing. With that little tweak I was hitting my driver very well on the range today. 

Another round tomorrow. 

Good to hear ! Let us no more of your results and feels so we can continue to compare and discuss!