Cleveland Smart Sole S 4

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’ve been gaming the Sure Out 64* since it came out.    I struggled with it at first until I saw a Hank Haney video on Callaways site where he was using it.  I noticed he was hinging his wrists

I have not tried the 4:th generation but the 2:nd. I was playing it from bunkers and thick rough around the green without any opening of the clubface. The ball just popped up with no effort. I never used that wedge for full shots.

Edited by harlequine

Square setup only.  No full shots.  Pitching, chipping and putter strokes only.  Square stance pitch out from the sand.

But can someone can explain how I can hit this thing from the rough?  Grabby and short, every time.

Posted (edited)

Thanks, Mootrail. Your suggestion of a chipping stroke saved me. I was blading and leaving it in the trap until I used a chipping swing. I haven't played it in the rough yet. 

Edited by Tanner25

I appreciate the tips on how to use the Smart Sole 4S, but I'm wondering if this 4th generation of the Smart Sole is significantly different than the three earlier models?

Callaway Big Bertha Fusion Heavy Driver, 11 Degrees, R Flex
Ping G400 SFT 5W (1 degree strong) and SFT 7W, R Flex
Cleveland Launcher HB Irons, 4-PW, R Flex
Cleveland Smart Sole 3 Chipper and SW
Cleveland CBX 2 50 Degree Wedge
Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11 Putter, 34 inches

Posted (edited)
On 8/28/2020 at 9:24 PM, mpm1960 said:

I appreciate the tips on how to use the Smart Sole 4S, but I'm wondering if this 4th generation of the Smart Sole is significantly different than the three earlier models?

Not sure, only used the 4. From what I hear, they should play similar. There's supposed to be better grooves for improved spin and the sole seems to look different on the 4. Get them for Labor Day deals and the price will be the same as a 3.  

Edited by Tanner25

Used the Smart Sole 4 this week with mixed results. I hit one beauty with ease right near the hole and another time, I couldn't get it out of the trap with 3 swings!! Basically, hit it fat. I asked the Cleveland Customer Service rep what is the best way to use the SS 4S and was told to use a putting stroke. Also, for fluffy sand, address/hit the ball 1 inch behind for bare/hard compact lies, address/hit right behind the ball. I practiced this today with some positive results. Anyone else use a putting stroke with the Smart Sole (or Sure out, TE 1 out etc)? It felt like I had to put a little bit of a swinging motion in my putting stroke to have any power and success.

Edited by Tanner25

I’ve been gaming the Sure Out 64* since it came out. 

I struggled with it at first until I saw a Hank Haney video on Callaways site where he was using it.  I noticed he was hinging his wrists immediately in the backswing which I never do. 

I spent an hour in a bunker several times and ended up with this technique:

ball off the front heel 
Slightly open stance. 
neutral to slightly open face 

keep the lower body quiet throughout the swing. 
take the club back and hinge the wrists Immediately 

take it up steep. 
come down across the ball on an out to in path

hit about 2 inches behind the ball

make sure to keep the speed up and follow through. 

to be fair these types of wedges seem to work best with fluffier sand. I play a lot in wet conditions causing hard packed sand. If I encounter that I use the same technique as above but I just try and stab the club very steeply behind the ball often times doing so it’s tough to really follow through but it still gets the ball out just with a lower trajectory. 

• Like 2

Callaway Epic Flash 12*

Callaway Epic Flash 7w / 11w

Exotics Xrail 5h

PXG 0311 Gen 2 SGI 6-SW

Cleveland CBX 60* 

Callaway Sure Out 64*

Bettinardi BB29

Titleist ProV1x Yellow

Handicap: 9.2