2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Titleist Players 4 Carbon Review

JoeEEE

On 9/3/2020 at 9:35 AM, JoeEEE said:

Carries fine with just one, well balanced. The bottle pocket is tight, not ideal for a rangefinder. Would love a quick magnetic pocket of some sort, but then again there's the give and take issue of weight. 

I need a replacement for my SM 2.5 and I will have to give the Carbon a long look.  I like the Hoofer, but not thrilled by the weight.  I am surprised that more bags haven't stolen the Ping idea of a small pocket above the ball pocket for a range finder.  I may be a party of one, but the ball pocket on golf bags in general seems excessively large.  I carry 9-10 balls and a small bag with tees and ball markers.  There is always room for another dozen balls.  Seems excessive.

Phred

• Like 1

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

• 1 month later...

For all that commented on the hoof tilted floor stand/club tangle issue..  Its worth taking a look at the Mizuno K1-Lo stand bag, weighs 1.2kg with a wider 4 way top that titleist design, the stand mechanism is also traditional non hoofer on the outside, so the legs don't droop when carrying. I have the 2019 in Navy which looks pretty smart, can't see me ever trying a different bag if walking!

• 2 weeks later...

Just stumbled across this thread and figured I’d share my thoughts after using for a half season...

The bag is awesome. Before I bought this I was on the fence between joining the push cart mafia or not and am now glad I didn’t. For really hilly courses this bag is better than a push cart and for flat courses there’s no strain walking. 
I like the premium materials, plenty of storage space if you put a little effort into trying to be an efficient walker. 

downsides:
There could be a little more padding, sometimes I can feel the frame of bag on my back. 
The drink pocket is a little tight but I don’t have any issue with no insulation. I just a canteen with insulation.

My biggest pet peeve is hat the opening really only comfortably fits 13 clubs but that’s par for the course with bags of this size. 

Definitely would recommend not just cause it’s functional but it’s also sweet looking 

10 hours ago, Jc0 said:

For those who have this bag do you use it when riding our use another bag? 

I use it for walking and riding all around. It is a great bag.

One thing I want to warn everyone is that hinge female and male screws can walk out easily. 
I had to go to HomeDepot and got a screw I lost (within a couple of week I bought) to replace and remedy it for $3 but still it can happen. 

I am very happy with this bag compare to Ping (bigger and heavier) and Stitch bag (limited pockets and zipper issues) and it is my main bag right now. 

TaylorMade SIM 2 MAX Ventus Black Velocore
Ping G400 2 Hybrid Tour AD DI
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged Irons
Titleist Vokey SM8s
Bettinardi Tour DASS
Pro V1X low number

• 3 weeks later...

I've been looking to replace my 4 series Ping for a while now, it's showing its age.  Haven't found anything I liked better, including the craz-e-lite's but saw a guy in the club parking lot with this bag today.  Stopped and asked him about it, he loves his, so went straight home and ordered one.  My christmas present to myself this year.  Feel even better about the decision after reading these reviews.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Ping Hoofer from 2005 and looking to get something new.  The carbon bag has caught my eye because I've been walking a lot more in 2020 which has also meant that I started carrying as little as possible while on the course.

Sounds like the bag is great overall, but a few things that could be considered a negative:
- straps need some time to break in
- water bottle mesh is really tight, but will hopefully loosen up over time
- having 14 clubs can feel a little tight

If anyone with this bag could chime in with an update on these things, it would be greatly appreciated.

I'm also considering getting a Ping Hoofer Lite which is obviously bigger and heavier at 5 lbs.  Is there really a noticeable difference round after round with having a bag that is 2.8 lbs vs. 5 lbs?

15 hours ago, snoodacris said:

I have a Ping Hoofer from 2005 and looking to get something new.  The carbon bag has caught my eye because I've been walking a lot more in 2020 which has also meant that I started carrying as little as possible while on the course.

Sounds like the bag is great overall, but a few things that could be considered a negative:

If anyone with this bag could chime in with an update on these things, it would be greatly appreciated.

I'm also considering getting a Ping Hoofer Lite which is obviously bigger and heavier at 5 lbs.  Is there really a noticeable difference round after round with having a bag that is 2.8 lbs vs. 5 lbs?

I used this bag for most of the season and was really happy with it. For me, the straps were fine from the start. No break in period needed. The water bottle mesh was not ideal but it worked. I kept thinking it would rip but it held up okay. When I carried 14 clubs I had a little club tangle — mostly in the driver row because I have a putter with a super stroke grip in there as well. When I carried 12 or 13 clubs it was great. My biggest adjustment was having to put my tees, etc. in the ball pocket. It would be perfect if there was a small zippered pocket about the ball pocket. 

As for weight, I used a TM Flextech Lite in the fall.  I think that’s a comparable weight to the Hoofer Lite and I definitely noticed the weight difference from the Carbon. Hope this helps.  

• Thanks 1

On 12/28/2020 at 5:07 PM, snoodacris said:

I recently upgraded to a Hoofer Lite from the Hoofer Xtreme I had been using since '06. I went with the Ping because I've always had Ping bags and just love the way they look. I can't speak in comparison to the Titleist, but I've been very satisfied with my Hoofer Lite and I did notice a considerable difference in weight between it and my old bag. The straps are exceptionally comfortable right out of the box and all of the pockets have more than enough room. 

I think you'll have the same experience (regarding weight) regardless of what bag you decide to buy. This isn't to discourage you from going Titleist, but to say that if you do decide to stick with Ping I think you'll be just as happy. For what it's worth I walk about half the times I play.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Bought this bag about two months ago with shop credit and have only used a handful of times. It is incredibly light and easy/comfortable to carry, however I am going to go back to my Nike Air Hybrid bag. Has anyone had a problem with the legs spreading too far open when deployed? I looked at my bag last night and noticed how low it looked to the ground. Then I saw the legs were almost 90* from eachother. Pic for reference but it was worse last night.

E6BAC793-6043-4401-B9EC-F812183FCF7F.jpeg

4EB6622A-BEAA-453D-9A41-0A20117CC798.jpeg

11 minutes ago, COmedic said:

Bought this bag about two months ago with shop credit and have only used a handful of times. It is incredibly light and easy/comfortable to carry, however I am going to go back to my Nike Air Hybrid bag. Has anyone had a problem with the legs spreading too far open when deployed? I looked at my bag last night and noticed how low it looked to the ground. Then I saw the legs were almost 90* from eachother. Pic for reference but it was worse last night.

I've read about a few occasions of the legs breaking on the Carbon this way.  I'd store it upright or on a carpeted floor where it can't slowly slide open.

• Like 1

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

17 hours ago, COmedic said:

Can you pull up on the tab that's connecting the leg cables? Usually that lets you adjust how wide/narrow the legs deploy.

I have an old Titleist 6-way bag from the early 00s and the legs did that split. The legs and stand mechanism still work but I think it’s because I caught it early and stored the bag on carpet, against a wall, or on the flat on the ground.  I purchased the Hybrid 5 at the end of last year hoping that 15-16 years of product development would have yielded something better, but it’s still happening.  It’s not like my floors are waxed to a bowling lane level of slickness or anything, but it is disappointing.  That said, it’s never been an issue outdoors, which is where it really needs to work.  

Driver:  Ping 425Max (Aldila Synergy)

3W&5W:  Mizuno ST-Z (Aldila Synergy)

7W Taylor Made Stealth (Aldila Ascent)

4H:  Taylor Made Sim2 Max (Accra FX)

5-GW:  Taylor Made Sim2 Max (SteelFiber i110)

52* Edel SMS C-Grind (Paderson Wedge Flex)

56*W Cleveland CBX (SteelFiber i110CW)

Bettinardi QB10

• 1 year later...
On 1/8/2022 at 9:39 PM, COmedic said:

hey man do you still have this bag and would you sell it!?