GPS (watch) recommendations

So my trusted Bushnell Neo XS has given up the ghost and won't hold a charge.   If you were shopping for a new watch what today, would you be looking at? I'm mainly interested in decent battery life, reasonable usability, front/middle/back, distance to next hazard & carry, etc - at a decent price.  I do carry a laser to shoot pins when needed. 

Also, any good spots to get a deal once I've selected a model?

Thanks

Edit: looks like the basic Garmin S10 might be all that's needed.

Edited by dcarwin

I much prefer Garmin to the Bushnell.   The course map update capabilities are infinitely better.  I dumped my XS pretty quickly once I realize how much better garman manages updates.

It's true the earlier Garmin's were a bit short on battery life but there have been lots of improvements on that with the s10, s20 and s62  (maybe the s40 - haven't heard for sure).

• Like 1

I purchased a Garmin Fenix 6 a few months ago to track exercise but part of the appeal was that it also has the golf app built in. Download golf app to phone and you can sync the watch and phone.  It also syncs with the Garmin yardage scope and they now has shot monitors that go on your clubs that tie the whole thing together. A bit pricey but hoping that it will last forever.  Battery life is around 14 days on full charge in normal mode (not using apps, maps, etc constantly) so using the golf app a couple times a week would probably cut time down to 10 days or so.

• Like 1

Driver: Ping G4
FW: Ping G4
Irons: Mizuno MP-5
Wedges: Mizuno
Putter:Odyssey 2 Ball

Apple Watch with either 18 birdies app or The Grint. I have some Arccos on the way and will be interested to see how they integrate with the Apple Watch. in both shot tracking and how it handles GPS, but I looked at getting a golf GPS watch specifically and couldn't figure out why I'd spend the money if I already had one I wear every day. 

Ping G425 LST 7.5* | Aldila Rogue White 70TX // TM 300 Mini 13.5 | Aldila Rogue White 80TX // Callaway Apex UW 19* | HZRDUS Smoke RDX 80 6.5 // Srixon ZX U 20* | Recoil Proto 110 F5 // Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo 5-PW // CTaper  Lite 115X | Cleveland CBX2 50/56* | DG 115 Wedge // 37" Odyssey 5K Tri-Hot Triple Wide

• 1 month later...

Use to rely on Skycaddy but got tired of the subscription.  So, back in 2019 I pulled the trigger on a Garmin Fenix 5X and been astonished ever since.  I use it not only for Golf GPS functions, but too many types of exercise to list.  It seems to guide my life, gym visits, text messages, alerts and alarms, plus weather and appointment calendar.  Updates are no brainer using Garmin Express.  I tend to leave my iPhone in my pocket.

Fenix 5X does most of what is need on the golf course.  A charge lasts 3-5 rds, which surprised me, even weeks not using GPS, and it charges rather quickly while in the car.  Hazards on the tee to fairway to green line show up, yardage to.. and cover show in the list, but what it does not do is give me yardage to a specific location or item, like a log or bush off line, but most of all, doesn't give me the exact pin yardage in or to cover certain items.  Those desires fall under my attention to detail list.  I can move the pin on the watch/green but too lazy.  Stock yardage to front, middle and back is always there, keeps hole/putts and accumulative score, transfers score to Garmin Golf app on iPhone for editing, if needed.  It has a slew of other functions that to my surprise intermittently get used.  All in all, Fenix it's worth the $$$.  Big difference from 6X is Pulse Ox.  I no longer wear my expensive watches, its' that simple. 

Except, the other day I bought a Garmin Approach Z82 laser which solves the few problems above that the Fenix Golf GPS lacks.  It talks to the Garmin Golf app as well, pulling wind conditions.  Whats nice the two seem to work well together, least for how I play the game.  Me likey...

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

On 9/29/2020 at 7:20 PM, fundustrial said:

I have a Garmin S62 which I really like. The new skycaddy one looks great too.

I've had the S62 for a few months now, its fantastic. Battery life is not an issue, I can get through 36 holes and still not be at 50% battery.

I'm intrigued by the new Skycaddie LX5, especially the new one with the ceramic bezel. I have no issues with the service cost and for $349 it comes with 3 years of service - the $399 option comes with 5 years. Heck with the way technology changes theres almost no chance I would keep a GPS watch for more than 5 years anyway.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

If you want a good watch that can do more than a Golf specific one, try the Samsung Galaxy Watch Golf Edition.

If you buy the watch, the golf app is included in the purchase (premium version). So no subscription you'd need otherwise. The app is great imo. Even with and iPhone.

This is the app: http://golfwith.golfzon.com/smartcaddie

Auto-advancing on holes, green undulation, course maps, course targeting, even shot tracking and scorecard, that's fast and responsive. 

Other than that, its a smart watch with all the bells and whistles including different watch-faces and apps, band changes, phone connectivity, etc. All for around $280.

One of my best purchases of 2020.

Edited by sshadow2

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 9* Project X Denali Black 60
Titleist TSi2 18* 5W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4

Titleist TSi2 21* 7W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4
Titleist TSi2 26* 6H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

Titleist TSi2 29* 7H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

PING i210 7-UW PING zz-65

PING s159 S 54* PING zz-115

PING s159 E 58* PING zz-115
L.A.B. Golf DF3

• 5 months later...
On 10/1/2020 at 2:09 AM, dcmidnight said:

I've had the S62 for a few months now, its fantastic. Battery life is not an issue, I can get through 36 holes and still not be at 50% battery.

I'm intrigued by the new Skycaddie LX5, especially the new one with the ceramic bezel. I have no issues with the service cost and for $349 it comes with 3 years of service - the $399 option comes with 5 years. Heck with the way technology changes theres almost no chance I would keep a GPS watch for more than 5 years anyway.

I'm 6 months into my ceramic LX5 and think it does everything I need.  I don't need a golf watch that doubles as a watch for any other sport, nor a watch that I would wear when not playing golf.  I don't need my watch to play music, show me text messages, control my calendar, show me caller ID, etc.  I play golf to get away from all that--and btw I used to work for a smartwatch company so am perhaps a bit jaded by it all.

I was most convinced to get the LX5 over the Garmin S62 by SkyGolf's claim that their "professionally mapped courses" matter.  (Having had a Skycaddie 10 years ago, I guess I already believed that claim.)

I have had my battery be over 60% after walking 18 holes.

The ceramic bezel is sharp looking but obviously a cosmetic decision at a higher price.  My friend's non-ceramic LX5 also looks nice.

Is there anything new coming out from Garmin or SkyGolf in the works? Supposedly the S62 is the tops from all the reviews I've read. 

Can anyone compare the S62 functionality to Arccos when it comes to shot tracking etc? 

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9* w/ Hzrdus Smoke Black

Irons : Callaway Apex Pro '21 5-AW-- S400 (S)

Woods: Callaway Epic Speed 3W

Putter: TM HydroBlast Del Monte 1

I just bought my wife the new  smaller crown Garmin Approach S40, really nice too.  It has many nice extra functions aside from many golf functions and yardage.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

1 hour ago, JimmyC59 said:

I have a Garmin Approach S20. Really like it. Good battery life. I'm a watch geek, so I only wear it while golfing.

I think they just replaced it with the S12.

The s12 is the next generation for the s10.  The s20 included fitness tracking that the s12 doesn't have.  It looks like the s20 has just been phased out without any replacement.

Edited by Stuart_G

Just now, Stuart_G said:

It's a next generation for the s10.  The s20 included fitness tracking that the s12 doesn't have and looks like it's just been phased out without any replacement.

That's fine with me.

I turn off the activity tracking anyway.

I guess I'll get the S12 when my S20 dies.

S12 looks nicer than the s10/s20, but quite the price hike vs the s10.  S10 was a great value, especially when it would go on sale for $99 (like it is now).  I use the G10 which is similar to the S10.  Works great, nice and simple.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

On 3/20/2021 at 11:40 PM, pretzelbag said:

I'm 6 months into my ceramic LX5 and think it does everything I need.  I don't need a golf watch that doubles as a watch for any other sport, nor a watch that I would wear when not playing golf.  I don't need my watch to play music, show me text messages, control my calendar, show me caller ID, etc.  I play golf to get away from all that--and btw I used to work for a smartwatch company so am perhaps a bit jaded by it all.

I was most convinced to get the LX5 over the Garmin S62 by SkyGolf's claim that their "professionally mapped courses" matter.  (Having had a Skycaddie 10 years ago, I guess I already believed that claim.)

I have had my battery be over 60% after walking 18 holes.

The ceramic bezel is sharp looking but obviously a cosmetic decision at a higher price.  My friend's non-ceramic LX5 also looks nice.

I used the LX5 most of winter since it was cart path only and just easier to carry around out of the cart. The display has to be the best out there with full images of the hole and green. I was surprised how light weight it is. I don't usually wear a watch in every day life, so I was worried about it bugging me, but I don't even really notice it now.

Another vote for the Garmin S10.  I got mine on sale for $100 and am extremely pleased with it.  I compared distances when matched up with a guy with a higher end range finder and the S10 was just as accurate and far more convenient, especially if you just need, front, back, middle, and hazards.  Can't comment on score keeping or the distance tracker, as I don't use those.  I read some complaints on the device having issues with automatically changing holes for some people which had me worried because there are a couple tighter courses I play on with several par 3s jammed together, but the watch had no issue transitioning, even on a shotgun start.  For my style of play, it does everything I need.  The only downside vs a handheld scope is that I can't use it at the range.

• Like 1

On 8/25/2020 at 8:32 PM, puresurfr said:

I would choose either the Garmin s40 or the s62.  Another good watch out there is the new Skycaddie watch and it includes 3 years of service.

I've had the S60 and now the S40. The S60 just stopped charging for me very early on, so I returned it... not wanting to get the same watch with potentially the same issue. My wife bought me a S40 for Christmas and I have a few rounds on it. Pros and Cons

Pros

Long battery life

Seems to be pretty accurate

Layups and hazards pretty clearly identified with distances

Much Cheaper

Smaller footprint on the wrist, I think better looking and only one button navigation.

Cons

Layup and hazards are identified a little different than the S60. Bars on the screen with distances provided. The S60 show the hole layout and you could select the screen for distance.

S40 does not show hole layout, only green.

The S40 does not have the tempo feature. I really liked that on the S60.

Both watches are good (albeit the issue I had with the S60.. friends with the watch never had this issue, so mine probably was a defect)

I think I like the functionality of the S60 (or S62) a little better, but the looks of S40 better.

I went with the S10 as stated above and am happy with it. It's very light, and I bought a cloth/velcro band for it so it doesn't move on my wrist - I can forget it's there. (My old heavier Bushnell would sometimes hit my hand when swinging and press buttons inadvertently).

The only thing odd for me about my S10 is that the odometer function seems to be over-estimating how far I walk.  Last couple rounds it said I walked on the order of nine miles, which I think is more than I actually walked. 

Been using the S62 since the middle of last year and really like it.  I've been a big Garmin watch user for many years going back to the S2.  Had the S20 for a few years and really liked that too.  

The S62 is very user-friendly, love the hole layouts (since I play different courses), and the gear tracking is helpful getting accurate total distances that I can marry up with my Mevo carry data.  Battery life is really nice too as I can get multiple rounds out of one charge.  There wasn't a big adjustment period for a size difference between the S20 and the S62.  I like the "plays like" distances adjusted for elevation and the virtual caddie has actually been really helpful, especially on the new courses that I've never seen before.

I think it has been well worth the cost for me and what I use it for.

Edited by CactusGolf

Callaway AI Smoke Max 11.5* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 15* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Taylormade SIM DHY 19* Diamana Hybrid

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-PW Fujikura Axiom

Taylormade HiToe Bigfoot 52*/56*/60* Fujikura Pro

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2021 at 3:52 AM, dcarwin said:

The only thing odd for me about my S10 is that the odometer function seems to be over-estimating how far I walk.  Last couple rounds it said I walked on the order of nine miles, which I think is more than I actually walked. 

Mine does that too. I usually get about double the course distance. I’m not that wayward! At least it’s not an important function.  

• Like 1