2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Anyone else experience stumbling into the right equipment?

VTHOKIM

Let me start off by saying, I’m writing this post because it honestly goes against everything I believe in and quite frankly, it’s illogical!  But I’m also curious to know, if anyone else has experienced what I’m about to describe.  So over the last 8 years, I’ve been obsessed with all things golf, the swing, equipment, competition... the amount of time I’ve spent on this forum over the years is quite frankly embarrassing to admit out loud.  The amount of golf equipment I’ve purchased, tried, and sold, is pretty impressive... it includes drivers, fairway woods, hybrids, all type of irons, shafts, and oh dear lord, putters!!!  I’ve been professionally fitted numerous times and have just experimented with anything that seemed like it could be a fit.  I like to think, I’m very analytical and realistic about my game...

basically I’ve swallowed my ego.  For example, my max driver swing-speed is 95 mph/235 carry.  I play 3 hybrids, with regular flex shafts.  Longest iron I carry is a 6 iron (160 yards).  I rely heavily on hitting the ball straight, short game, putting, course/situational management, and mental toughness.  My swing is unique, but  strangely consistent.  I carry a 1.5 index and play courses in 6400 to 6800 range.  I share all this, to try and validate my earlier statement about being analytical and realistic about my game.  

Now to the purpose of my post, I’ve come to the realization the best equipment I’ve ever had in the bag, I just stumbled across.  I’ll start with my putter.... a Scotty Cameron GOLO 3 2016 version, I bought this putter because it was a good price at $150 over 3 years ago.  It wasn’t “my assumed specs” at 35 inches and it was custom paint filled with Carolina blue... not what I would choose. It wasn’t a popular model and I was putting well when I bought it but figured why not at that price?  It hasn’t left the bag in 3 years and I can’t imagine, I’ll ever get rid of it.  It just flat out works for me.  

Example #2 my current irons.  Bridgestone Tour B XCB’s I got in a whim trade with specs of 2* flat, 2* degree strong lofts, standard length Modus 3 120 stiff shafts soft stepped. I had been playing irons that were professionally fitted for me from an extremely well respected club fitter with the following specs: Yamaha Impres X V-Forged 1* upright, .5 inch long, Recoil 80 F3 graphite shafts.  I played with these irons for about a year and was happy with them but decided to hit the XCB’s one day and here we are 3 months later!  I can honestly say, my ball striking has never been better.  

Has anyone else had a similar experience?  The putter is a neat story but my mind can process that one.  What’s blowing my mind, is the irons!  Talk about completely different specs that I wasn’t fitted for but I love them.  I’ve never had flat clubs, have always been fitted into more upright.

Edited by VTHOKIM
  • Like 1

Driver: Epic SZ 10.5 665 Speeder

3 Wood: Epic Flash 
Hybrids: Epic 3 wood and 3, 4, 5 hybrids
Irons: Yamaha Inpres X V Forged Recoil 80 
Wedges: Vokey SM7 50, PM Grind 54/11 and 58/10
Putter: Cameron 2016 Golo 3

Perhaps a few of you saw my post in the Unpopular Opinions topic where I poked at people who answer every question with "get fitted".

So yes, my recent purchase of amazing irons basically came about by stumbling into them. I knew I liked similar irons from hitting some Titleist irons years ago, was skimming through used clubs online, watched a couple youtube videos, saw some clubs on sale new for lower than the used price I saw the day before, and pulled the trigger. Didn't get fitted, didn't even try them out somewhere.

My money club has always been a 6 iron and I love set PWs and GWs - and I didn't even carry a 4 iron in my last set - but these irons are unbelievable, especially the long irons.

• Like 1

Driver: Cobra LTDx 10.5° Helium Nanocore

Fairway: Cobra RADSPEED 18.5° Motore X

Hybrids: Titleist TSi2 21°, 24° TENSEI AV RAW Blue

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP1 24° Recoil 780

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 AMT Red

Wedges: Vokey SM8 48°, 54° Dynamic Gold; SM7 60° Modus3

Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

For the record, I’m not saying you shouldn’t get fitted.  I’m not bad mouthing fitters at all!  But what I’ve experienced, there’s a lot to be said about just experimenting.  Yeah I know golf is an extremely dynamic game and things with our swings are constantly changing but so is life in general.  

• Like 1

My Rife putter. eBay purchase of at least 6 years ago. Random and the only putter I ever purchased on the web. I’m not much of a putter enthusiast. The other 13 clubs are the obsession. 

Callaway Paradym TD “S” 420cc 8.5 Project X Evenflow Riptide MX 60TX
Mizuno ST 230 Max 15.0 Mitsubishi Rayon Kai’Li Blue 70X

Callaway OG Apex UW 21.0 Mizuno MmT 80X

ON ORDER: Mizuno Pro 243 5-GW Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno T24 56/12S & 58/4X Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Rife Phenom.Z 34”

My current irons, they are an inch longer with thicker grips, heavier and stiffer shafts and 2° upright. I haven't hit my irons this good ever. 

Much different from my standard length 2° flat standard grip old set...

• Like 1

Titleist 910D3 9.5°
Taylormade Rocketballz tour 18°

Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron
Callaway ApexMB '18 4 - PW
Vokey SM7 52° + 58°
Ping Scottsdale Halfpipe

A friend of mine years ago asked if I had any clubs laying around for his son to hit. He was probably 8-9 years old.

I had an old Ping G15 4 wood, stuck in the most flexible shaft I had laying around, cut it down to about 40”, and put a kids grip on it.

Fast forward to a moth ago, I saw it in his garage. His kid doesn’t play, so my friend said I could have the club back.

I put in a shaft that I had laying around that would be long enough, a pink Aldila NV 85 gram regular flex, and made it 42”. I don’t even know if its been tipped at all. 

Beat fairway wood I’ve had in awhile! Glad his son never popped it up!

• Like 1

Hated my previous irons and was desperate to change, and bought a set of TM P760's off the BST with KBS $-Taper shafts in a stiff flex installed. I've played PX 6.5 or DG X100 for the last 15+ years, so this was a big "REACH" going to a softer shaft. 

Dear LORD! My first round I played with these irons (no real range time with them) was the best iron striking round I'd had in over 3 years. I've not had a "bad day" with them since I've had them, and I've played them about 6 rounds. Every round I've had them in the bag, I've shot in the 70's. I just went from an X flex driver shaft to an S flex to try out b/c of this revelation! These P760's are the best feeling and performing irons I've ever owned.

-ZA

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

TM SIM 9.0 with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X

TM SIM 15 deg 3W with Project X Smoke Green S

TM SIM2 3H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM M3 4H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM P790 5i with KBS $-Taper 120

TM P760 6-PW with KBS $-Taper 120

TM Hi Toe 50, 55 & 60 with DG S300

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 

Saw a bit of a cult following for Srixon irons and modus 120 shafts on Golfwrx. Never hit them before, but picked up a 585/785 combo set off the BST. Not sure of the specs. Im guessing a degree or too upright and standard length or maybe +1/4 inch. Doesnt matter, instantly the best irons I have ever swung. Fell in love on the range day 1 and the honeymoon period hasnt ended months later. 

• Like 1

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

Up until very recently I played Callaway Steelhead XR irons with KBS Tour V shafts in R flex.  I was fit into these irons 4 years ago and got them 2* upright.  This season I have had issues with the shafts breaking right at the club head.  I had already replaced my 7i and 8i shaft and had an unfortunate break on my 5i the day before my city metro.  I went to the course to play a practice round and on the driving range the 5i head just kept going.  I played my practice round and left to hopefully find a shaft to replace my broken club.  My only option was a DSG store to try to find a shaft.  The only thing they had in stock that was similar in weight was the True Temper Elevate 95, so I bought the shaft in an S flex and re shafted the club that night so I would have a 5i the next day for the tournament.  

I was so impressed with the performance of that shaft that I blindly bought the Apex cf 19s from Callaway CPO at 1* upright instead of getting fit for them.  These sticks are money, I love the trajectory I get with my stock iron shots and I can flight them lower if need be.  I've got at least 20 rounds in with the new irons and my index has dropped a stroke.  I do plan on buying a couple of 7 irons to test different shafts, but it will be hard to boot the current shaft.  

• Like 1

In the bag

Driver: Taylormade Sim2 Max 9*

4w: Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero

Hybrid:  Apex 19 3h 20*

Hybrid:  Apex 19 4h 23*

Irons: Callaway Apex CF 19 5i-AW

W1: Vokey SM7 54* S

W2: Vokey SM8 60* L

Putter: Swag Handsome Too

Yep. Bought a set of John Letters MM Forged Prototype irons in the black finish from eBay just because I think are a beautiful set of irons. There is just something about the weight, balance and feel of these irons that keeps them in my bag, despite me trying very hard to take them out! I really, really wanted to love my Z765 irons more than the JL's, but I just can't feel the same confidence with any other irons. To be fair, I seem to be pretty lucky with equipment - I have Srixon driver, 3 wood, 3 hybrid and utility irons, none of which I was fitted for but they all fit me perfectly. 

16 hours ago, Vater said:

Perhaps a few of you saw my post in the Unpopular Opinions topic where I poked at people who answer every question with "get fitted".

So yes, my recent purchase of amazing irons basically came about by stumbling into them. I knew I liked similar irons from hitting some Titleist irons years ago, was skimming through used clubs online, watched a couple youtube videos, saw some clubs on sale new for lower than the used price I saw the day before, and pulled the trigger. Didn't get fitted, didn't even try them out somewhere.

My money club has always been a 6 iron and I love set PWs and GWs - and I didn't even carry a 4 iron in my last set - but these irons are unbelievable, especially the long irons.

Ha, I didn’t see your initial post but that’s my biggest pet peeve on this site is when I seek a some basic info and the result is “get fitted”. Look I get it but some of us live in the sticks and/or don’t have the resources. I’ve stumbled into all my clubs pretty much like the OP, buying, selling, and trying new stuff just cause I like to. If my wife new how much I’ve spent on different types of grips alone the past few years she would murder me 

• Like 2

I once got professionally fit for a highly custom, modern putter with the total bill running about 5 bones.

About 2.5 years later, I played putt putt with my son and could not believe how well I putted with the basic old school bullseye they handed me.  Did some research and discovered Nike had once made a modernized version called the Mod 90. Found one in decent condition on eBay for $100 so I pulled the trigger. 

My putting almost immediately went from "I hope I don't blow this" to "I've got this". Has been in the bag ever since. 

• Like 4

"We're not here for a long time... we're here for a good time." 

Mizuno JPX 900 Driver w/ Speeder Evo II 661 Stiff
Mizuno JPX 900 3W, 5W w/ Speeder Evo II 661 Stiff
Titleist AP3 4, 5 irons w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Titleist AP2 6 - GW irons w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Callaway Jaws Tour Grey 54S & 58x w/ Project X LZ 6.0O

Odyssey 2-Ball Ten Tour Lined
Shapland Stand Bag 2.3

Clicgear 4.0

I've stumbled into every piece of golf equipment I have ever played. Never been fitted outside of L/L/L. I've somehow managed to get around the course for the past 40 years. .  

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

The first ball with a g410 hybrid and 3 wood. It feels and makes the sound at impact I want to hear.  And goes in the window I imagine it going.  The hybrid is as good as a club can be.  It’s ridiculously easy to hit.   

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I bounced back and forth between players irons and GI irons.  Players were great when I made a great swing but punishing when I didn't.  GI irons were forgiving but I couldn't control the distances.  Rented clubs on vacation a few times.  TM, Ping, Titleist, Callaway...  Nothing spoke to me until the G400 irons.  Felt great, went where I wanted them to go, distances were on spot.  Wasn't crazy about the G400 Max driver.  Bought the irons when I got home.  They were used and came with midsize grips.  I've grown to like the midsize grips.  Rented Callaway clubs and loved the Epic Flash with HZDUS smoke shaft.  Have that in the bag, now.  

Ping Anser 20 hybrid. I was struggling with a Titleist 913 model and a friend had this one that he didn’t completely get along with. I hit it well from the first swing and regardless of the version of my swing I put on it, it performs. It has become my crutch on the course. I also don’t hook it off the tee like every other hybrid I have hit. I’ve tried replacing it with multiple others but now I have a backup head in case I ever break this one. 

I think if you have been on a launch monitor before, have a basic knowledge of how equipment effects flight, and know what you like. It isn’t hard to fit yourself. After seeing my launch numbers, I know the fitter screwed the pooch on my driver, which I have replaced twice since, and irons, which I could have used a hollow body iron to reduce my spin and lower my launch. I hit my i210s a mile high with a ton of spin. 

I fit myself into my wedges and putter just knowing what I like, and it has worked out fantastic 

Edited by jpbova

Gunga Galunga Golf - Golf Photography

I recently did so with a Putter. 

Maybe a year or so ago, I happened to roll a Toulon Palm Beach in a PGATSS.

After 10 or so visits back, I was finally convinced it was meant to be and was not a cruel mistress!

A Garage Palm Beach now resides in my Bag! It's perfect. May have found the putter they will bury me with!

• Like 1

Yes an 8802 style putter. Thought I was a mallet guy but after trying one of these putting never felt so natural. Now rotate between a newer 8882 or Del Mar putter 

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Taylormade Stealth Pro
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix

Yes. My whole bag currently is a guesstimation .

Callaway put Epic Flash gear on sale. Bought the 3,4,5 hybrid and the 3, 5 wood. Had the driver from last year . Added a Big Bertha 6 hybrid on a whim this year as well. Then got the 7-AW in the Mavrik with graphite shafts. All this was on fly as well. The 5 wood is out of the bag and the 3 wood has the shaft from that 5. Not sure I’m happy with the 3 wood either but everything else is playing fine. So all of this was a stumble. Wish I could find a putter like that.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

6 hours ago, thekingsolly said:

@vthokim does this mean the callaway blue putter is available ?

The TT1 has been gone for years!  

Ping Anser 4w.  I've always hated hitting fairway woods, but I've hit some of the best shots of my life with that particular club. No fitting, not much research, just caught a good deal on ebay and got lucky.

Edited by Mych

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

My irons are a set of Adams CMBs I took a flyer on here ($50 for 5 of them, heads only)... I was hoping to pick up some decent shafts cheap, but they are taper tipped, which meant I was out of luck... Went to my pro shop, the head pro had clubs laying around he didn't want anymore... PX 6.0 shafts, but was missing the 6 iron... still enough clubs though! I forget exactly how we did it, but I wanted them to play longer (+1/2), so basically the PW ended up with his 9 iron shaft. I think. I don't even really remember how we went about building the set out... 

But it's magic. Freaking love this set of clubs. Not the shafts I would have picked, the lengths aren't what I'd custom order... but they flat out perform for me. 

I think fitting is important and a good thing to do when shopping for a new set of clubs... but if something works, it works. 

At the end of the day, confidence is way more important than a "perfect" fit... 

• Like 1

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

Similar, bought a set of Mizuno JPX 900 tours at a good price, with the aim of reshafting them with my preferred shafts, they were partially my spec, 1" above standard in length but had UST Recoil 95 F4 shafts. I have never played graphite shaft in my irons previously, my previous clubs were Adams CMB with Modus 125 XS soft stepped.  Being impatient I took the clubs out for round while I waited for the shafts to arrive.  Had one of my best iron striking rounds ever with the combo and as of now they are still in the bag with no upgrades

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I just bought a Cleveland Hibore 3 wood off of ebay. Only thing I knew about it was it's a reg flex shaft. It came and it's pretty long and has a thicker grip than I've previously used. I've only used it 8 times, but after the first shot (hooked it left, gripped it too strong to try and mitigate a slice) it's just been ridiculously straight and about the length I expected. It's like a cheat code. I'm seriously considering using just the 3 wood off of the tee for now, until I get a tune-up lesson with my driver. Yes I CAN get another 20-30 yards with the driver but it's been so inconsistent lately that I've lost a lot of confidence in it.

D-Taylormade SIM MAX D Diamana PD 50r

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

17° Adams XTD Ti super hybrid

4h-5h- Tour Edge Exotics ex9

6-AW- Cleveland Launcher XL Nippon Zelos 7

56°- Cleveland CBX Zipcore

60°- Lazrus

P- Odyssey eleven tour lined stroke lab shaft