BMW Championship at Olympia Fields

bscinstnct

1 hour ago, Greg_B said:

First if all it's NANTZ, not Nance.

The CBS on-air people are a mixed bag. IBF is not good. He's the CBS version of Gary Koch. Dottie is fine, and Amanda is excellent. Faldo is full of inanities and has the knack of talking a lot without saying anything. So CBS is far from perfect and could use several upgrades in that department.

Feherty's contract was up at CBS and NBC offered him a better deal, taking him off the fairways and putting him in a booth usually, plus promises of his own show on GC. I find the less I see of Feherty the better I like him. His show is a very mixed bag, sometimes entertaining, often nearly unwatchable. He seems to use it mostly to promote his personal appearances.

The contracts of McCord and Kostis were not renewed at the end of 2019. McCord had become stale and added very little in recent years, unlike when he first joined. I still do not understand the release of Kostis as he was pretty good. Perhaps there was some friction behind the scenes but I do not know.

CBS most certainly did not "fire" Walter Cronkite. He retired graciously after a long career and still contributed occasional pieces to CBS after that.

Spot on, again. I think both IBF and Koch are fine, though. Seems many loved or hated Johnny Miller; I thought he was the best, trap draw and all.

16 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

Except this ; )

I remember you saying this last week - “Now watch Mr Woods win next week like” - bscinstnct

So “New Week” came and Tiger shot +11 finishing T51 failing to advance to Tour Champs. Other than at Augusta, I think it’s safe to say Tiger is done winning against todays best monster players, especially when it matters on tougher courses.

1 hour ago, RareSight said:

I remember you saying this last week - “Now watch Mr Woods win next week like” - bscinstnct

So “New Week” came and Tiger shot +11 finishing T51 failing to advance to Tour Champs. Other than at Augusta, I think it’s safe to say Tiger is done winning against todays best monster players, especially when it matters on tougher courses.

agree and I hope the Reruns of so many Tiger shots stop and start picking up more recent wonder shots..  Tiger is done put a Playing Fork and a Newsmedia Fork in him.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, braincramp52 said:

I'll cut ALL golf broadcasters some slack. No one here seems to realize just how hard doing golf on TV is. I'm just not that sensitive to what they're saying anyway. At least not enough to where it takes away from enjoying a great event.

Seriously? Dan Hicks can't stop from blistering you with inane array of statistics, filling your head with irrelevance. I don't know how anyone can stand him that prioritizes maintaining their sanity.

2 hours ago, RareSight said:

This is you and other skeptics in 2018:

“I think think it’s safe to say Tiger is done winning against todays best monster players“

This is you in 2020:

Other than Augusta, I think think it’s safe to say Tiger is done winning against todays best monster players.“

That’s quite a caveat ; )

1 hour ago, Muse said:

Seriously? Dan Hicks can't stop from blistering you with inane array of statistics, filling your head with irrelevance. I don't know how anyone can stand him that prioritizes maintaining their sanity.

Serious. If he was really that annoying he wouldn't have a job with NBC for the last 28 years. 

Edited by braincramp52
  • Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

11 minutes ago, braincramp52 said:

Serious. If he was really that annoying he wouldn't have a job with NBC for the last 28 years. 

I think a lot of people forget that these guys have to fill a broadcast with content.  I could do without the new tendency for them to talk over the action.  That used to be the golden rule of golf broadcasting - no talking during the shot.  But otherwise, they have to talk - A LOT, it's not all going to be gold. 

Edited by Dr. Block
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dr. Block said:

I think a lot of people forget that these guys have to fill a broadcast with content.  I could do without the new tendency for them to "talk over the action".  That used to be the golden rule of golf broadcasting - no talking during the shot.  But otherwise, they have to talk, it's not all going to be gold. 

Right on. These guys are doing what they're paid to do. Doing golf isn't like doing basketball where the action is pretty fast paced. 

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

30 minutes ago, braincramp52 said:

Right on. These guys are doing what they're paid to do. Doing golf isn't like doing basketball where the action is pretty fast paced. 

Sky Golf seem to have got it right. Simon Holmes, doing some analysis stuff in the studio, called a Rahm/DJ play-off before they teed off for the final round. 

• Like 1

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

On 9/1/2020 at 5:15 PM, bscinstnct said:

“I think think it’s safe to say Tiger is done winning against todays best monster players“

This is you in 2020:

Other than Augusta, I think think it’s safe to say Tiger is done winning against todays best monster players.“

Tiger tends to play Augusta well because he knows it more intimately than virtually any other tour player, which is a huge advantage. It’s also a more favorable course to Tiger as it doesn’t have any rough that many/most courses have these days. Tiger’s also not a great driver, he’s naturally finds it hard to score out of rough, especially as he’s further back compared to todays monsters.

1 Course = 1 Caveat ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RareSight said:

Tiger tends to play Augusta well because he knows it more intimately than virtually any other tour player, which is a huge advantage. It’s also a more favorable course to Tiger as it doesn’t have any rough that many/most courses have these days. Tiger’s also not a great driver, he’s naturally finds it hard to score out of rough, especially as he’s further back compared to todays monsters.

1 Course = 1 Caveat ?

Caveat 2 ; )

0DA467B7-53DE-4D78-8CBE-A591135FD6AB.jpeg

On 9/1/2020 at 5:15 PM, bscinstnct said:

This is you in 2020:

Some people will never learn.  Writing off Tiger is just dumb.

That said, I don;t think it's malicious.

I think a lot of people want him to do well so badly, me included, that it's frustrating when his game is not on and he underperforms.

It's an age and injury thing, but he still has the capability to put 4 rounds together in any given week and if (and when) he does he'll be challenging for the win.

I reckon he still has 12-16 more majors where he can realistically win.  I just hope he does it in 3 of them - because it's clear he really wants 18 and it would be a shame if the greatest player for the game of golf of all time didn't meet that goal.

Edited by Jay28

1 hour ago, Jay28 said:

I think a lot of people want him to do well so badly, me included, that it's frustrating when his game is not on and he underperforms.

It's an age and injury thing, but he still has the capability to put 4 rounds together in any given week and if (and when) he does he'll be challenging for the win.

I reckon he still has 12-16 more majors where he can realistically win.  I just hope he does it in 3 of them - because it's clear he really wants 18 and it would be a shame if the greatest player for the game of golf of all time didn't meet that goal.

I can't see him getting to 18. The only major course he can win on is Augusta and the odds of him running off several more victories there are just too long. He is the greatest player of his generation but if he doesn't get to 18 then his standing in the all-time rankings is an open question.

Lots of great older players have the ability to put 4 good rounds together on a course they know and like - see Jack in '86 at Augusta, Tom Watson in '09 at the Open Championship (who of course was derailed by his putter just as TW often is these days) or even Norman the year before in '08 although he collapsed in the final round. Majors are hard.

3 hours ago, Jay28 said:

For TW to have a legit shot to win anywhere, he will need to have the same dedication and put in the same training and preparation effort that he did after his surgery in his lead up to winning the TC and Masters.

Is he at least as healthy as he was then ? And can he have the same dedication to push through all the discomfort barriers he endured during that stretch to put in those hours?

Leading up to that Masters, TW had the single minded determination of

John Wick after they shot his dog!

But after the win, he more like....

61F107F3-48D3-494A-918A-C1A940DECD8D.jpeg