For Old Times Sake....a Fairway Wood Thread

Duffner's Waggle

For what felt like forever I used an Adams Speedline boxer hybrid fairway wood that I won in a raffle at a charity tournament. Used that club until I got my Titleist 917f which I don't see leaving the bag anytime soon. I have not gotten rid of it though...

Edited by Newgs
  • Like 1

I gamed a Cally Warbird 4W for a few years after HS, loved that thing.  Had the Memphis 10 "uniflex" steel shaft.  Definitely required a smooth swing.  Titleist 909F2 with a Diamana 83X WhiteBoard stayed in my bag from release to 2016.  Absolutely loved that thing.  

• Like 1

Ping G430 MAX 10K 9*, Ventus Black 6X
Ping G430 MAX 3W 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X
Ping G430 MAX 7W 21*, Ventus TR Blue 8X 

Ping i230 4i DG 120 S300

Ping Blueprint S, 5-PW DG 120 S300

Titleist Vokey SM9 50F, 54S, 58M

Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Mini CH /or/ Tri Hot 5K Seven CH

image.png.e5ef7a8dbf4e8076207a913b4201e2c7.pngPlayed with old Tour Edge Bazooka BetaTi 3W and 5W from 2002 to 2008; had Grafalloy light weight stiff shafts. Low profile pair, really worked well for me until I started having trouble in general with stiff shafts.

Completely redid my bag in 2008-09 time frame. Got a Calla XTour 3W to match my HyperX Tour driver. Driver worked super, but 3W didn't launch high enough. (Long-term reality: I can handle Tour head in drivers, but not in fairway woods.)

I then switched to the TaylorMade stock RBZ 3W/HL and 7W with early 45-gram shaft. These delivered big hooks every third shot. All my other clubs delivered a slight draw, so I traded off the RBZ the following season. (Note: The next season's RBZ Stage 2 FWs with orange trim were much better - had 60-gram shaft - but lost out to Tour Edge XRails).

So, counting the brief RBZ adventure, I'm in my ninth season of some variation on 4W + 7W.

image.png.c09126758d943b56c1b58283936920d7.png

The XRails have been the primary weapons, except for a 2.5 year term with the Alpha 815s. After two years of solid hits with the Alphas, I started struggling with them last season. So, the XRails went back in the bag. I'll turn 70 in November, and I think it's time to get lighter shafted long clubs.

The XRails have a modest boat-hull sole, and glide through the rough and across the turf with ease. They would probably rank as SGI, and the main drawback is that in good swing seasons I know I'm sacrificing yardage. Hence my two years with the Alphas.

A couple of years back I hit some solid shots with a Tour Edge E9 Beta 4W with a 54-gram shaft, but didn't have $300 spare to buy it.

Edited by ChipNRun
Remove double-post of XRail / Alpha pix.
  • Like 2

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

Bone Stock RBZ Tour 3 wood until last year, that lasted 7 years?, currently have a 917f2, but I am testing a new TEE EXS Pro 15*. I think the TEE is better than RBZ, but i may need to go 4 wood.

Titleist Tsr2 9*

TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5*

PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 16*

PXG 0317X Gen 4 20.5*

Ping i210 5-P (26*-45*)

Ping iE1 50*

Ping Glide 3.0 54*/58*

Ping Fetch

30 minutes ago, ChipNRun said:

image.png.e5ef7a8dbf4e8076207a913b4201e2c7.pngPlayed with old Tour Edge Bazooka BetaTi 3W and 5W from 2002 to 2008; had Grafalloy light weight stiff shafts. Low profile pair, really worked well for me until I started having trouble in general with stiff shafts.

Completely redid my bag in 2008-09 time frame. Got a Calla XTour 3W to match my HyperX Tour driver. Driver worked super, but 3W didn't launch high enough. (Long-term reality: I can handle Tour head in drivers, but not in fairway woods.)

I then switched to the TaylorMade stock RBZ 3W/HL and 7W with early 45-gram shaft. These delivered big hooks every third shot. All my other clubs delivered a slight draw, so I traded off the RBZ the following season. (Note: The next season's RBZ Stage 2 FWs were much better - had 60-gram shaft - but lost out to Tour Edge XRails).

So, counting the brief RBZ adventure, I'm in my ninth season of some variation on 4W + 7W. The XRails have been the primary weapons, except for a 2.5 year term with the Alpha 815s.image.png.08cf9f55c9daeb1aacf7a6e836c66eb2.png After two years of solid hits with the Alphas, I started struggling with them last season. So, the XRails went back in the bag. I'll turn 70 in November, and I think it's time to get lighter shafted long clubs.

The XRails have a modest boat-hull sole, and glide through the rough and across the turf with ease. They would probably rank as SGI, and the main drawback is that in good swing seasons I know I'm sacrificing yardage. Hence my two years with the Alphas.

A couple of years back I hit some solid shots with a Tour Edge E9 Beta 4W with a 54-gram shaft, but didn't have $300 spare to buy it.

This is the kind of fairway wood HO'ing I'm here for! Love it. 

• Like 1

Ping G425 LST 7.5* | Aldila Rogue White 70TX // TM 300 Mini 13.5 | Aldila Rogue White 80TX // Callaway Apex UW 19* | HZRDUS Smoke RDX 80 6.5 // Srixon ZX U 20* | Recoil Proto 110 F5 // Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo 5-PW // CTaper  Lite 115X | Cleveland CBX2 50/56* | DG 115 Wedge // 37" Odyssey 5K Tri-Hot Triple Wide

Love the thread!

I have a Great Big Bertha Ti 4 wood with the Warbird sole ('96 or '97 I think?) that I inherited a while ago and I just can't bring myself to get rid of it. I mess with the top clubs in the bag more than anything and every time I bring this thing back out, I start to think of how much money I could have saved if I just let it be.

It has the original firm flex UL graphite shaft that has worked well. Like another post above, it forces me to smooth out the swing a bit - probably a good thing anyway

Unfortunately, I started my search for a 3 wood about a year into your search..  I am still searching

Strike through the ones of yours I have missed....

Tour Edge Exotics CB Pro

Titleist 915F

Titleist 915Fd

Srixon F45

Ping G25

Titleist 913Fd

Taylormade M2

Taylormade Jetspeed

Taylormade Aeroburner Mini

Ping Rapture 

Callaway X2Hot 3Deep

Taylormade SLDR Mini (16)

Taylormade RBZ Tour Spoon

Cleveland CG Black

Mizuno JPX

Tour Edge Exotics E8

Cobra Bio Cell

Taylormade SLDR TP

Nike Covert 2.0

Cleveland Classic XL

Adams Tight Lies

in addition I tried the Cobra LTD, Cobra F8 and F9 (both plus and standard), Rogue, M6, TS2, PXG 341 and 341 X, G 400, regular aeroburner, X hot, X Hot2.

Currently auditioning TM M5 and Ping 410.  

I am completely distraught now that I know my search has carried on beyond yours, and I have owned at least as many as you have and maybe more.  I think I need to find a fairway woods anonymous group and see if I can cure myself.

Edited by driveandputtmachine
  • Haha 1
  • Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

I played the TM Burner from 2007 to last year when I upgraded to TS2. Still not sure the TS2 is better than the Burner, and have recently been experimenting with the SIM TI 5 wood.

Callaway Paradym 12* (-1Std) Autoflex SF505X

Callaway Paradym Heavenwood

Ping G425M 20.5* Tensei Raw Org 75S

Ping G425 22* ADIZ85S

Ping G425 26* ADIZ85S

T100S 6-7 (1* weak) Aerotech FC115

T100 8-PW  Aerotech FC115

Titleist T100 50*  Aerotech FC115

Vokey SM8 54.12D/58.8M Aerotech FC115
SC Champ Choice Newport 2 Stability Shaft Tour

Currently have a Rogue 4 wood with an Atmos Blue TS 70 that I don't see going anywhere.

Prior to that I had Xhot 3 and 5 woods with OG Blueboard 73xct's in them that were incredible. I just can't seem to hit the 3 anymore, but the 5 goes in for certain courses, replacing my 3 hybrid.

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

45 minutes ago, driveandputtmachine said:

Unfortunately, I started my search for a 3 wood about a year into your search..  I am still searching

Strike through the ones of yours I have missed....

Tour Edge Exotics CB Pro

Titleist 915F

Titleist 915Fd

Srixon F45

Ping G25

Titleist 913Fd

Taylormade M2

Taylormade Jetspeed

Ping Rapture 

Callaway X2Hot 3Deep

Cleveland CG Black

Mizuno JPX

Tour Edge Exotics E8

Cobra Bio Cell

Taylormade SLDR TP

Nike Covert 2.0

Cleveland Classic XL

Adams Tight Lies

in addition I tried the Cobra LTD, Cobra F8 and F9 (both plus and standard), Rogue, M6, TS2, PXG 341 and 341 X, G 400, regular aeroburner, X hot, X Hot2.

Currently auditioning TM M5 and Ping 410.  

I am completely distraught now that I know my search has carried on beyond yours, and I have owned at least as many as you have and maybe more.  I think I need to find a fairway woods anonymous group and see if I can cure myself.

Got a couple more in my closet I could add to your list for the right price. I would be a terrible FW Ho Anon sponsor. 

but seriously lemme know lol

• Like 1

Ping G425 LST 7.5* | Aldila Rogue White 70TX // TM 300 Mini 13.5 | Aldila Rogue White 80TX // Callaway Apex UW 19* | HZRDUS Smoke RDX 80 6.5 // Srixon ZX U 20* | Recoil Proto 110 F5 // Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo 5-PW // CTaper  Lite 115X | Cleveland CBX2 50/56* | DG 115 Wedge // 37" Odyssey 5K Tri-Hot Triple Wide

All of my fw's are relatively ancient. I switch between a 13* Diablo Octane Tour (the ole' Stenson special), a 15* Diablo Edge Tour, and an 18* Mizuno F-50. I don't change clubs often or willingly. 

• Like 1

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

I had a massive 3 wood search that spanned most of the decade, I would say from a broken Titleist 910F in 2012/2013 up through the 2017 M2 which I found in March of 2018 per my WITB thread. My list doesn't look that dissimilar to yours though. 

Tour Edge Exotics CB Pro

Titleist 910F

Titleist 910Fd

Ping G25

Ping G30

Titleist 913Fd

Taylormade M2

Taylormade Rocketballz Tour

Taylormade M1

Taylormade Jetspeed

Ping Rapture 

Taylormade V Steel

Callaway X2Hot 3Deep

Cobra LTD

Cobra Baffler

Cobra Bio Cell

Callway Epic SZ

It got so bad, I didn't bag a fairway for all of 2015. Just cranked a hybrid down as low as it could go. This doesn't even touch the different shafts I have rotated in and out. There's probably a list just as long as this one. 

I am thankful every day I look at my M2 HL that I am not looking for anything else. My wallet thanks it as well. 

• Like 1

Ah, memories. What a wonderful reminder of one of the greatest threads from yesteryear.

3w had been a revolving door for 5 years or so. Finally went back to a 5Deep about 3 years ago and have been content since. It's not perfect, I'd like something perhaps a little easier off the deck, but it's not difficult by any means. Great combination of higher loft, deeper face for lower spin and a taller face to be great off the tee. I've been temped by others, but she's still my main squeeze, for now. ?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Duffner's Waggle said:

I wanna hear about the oldies but goodies that never fully make it out of your bag, no matter what else you try. 

Some of you may remember my 3-wood exploits from many years ago. I tried everything once. It was a crazy time. I'm not proud. 

I tried:

Tour Edge Exotics CB Pro

Titleist 915F

Titleist 915Fd

Srixon F45

Ping G25

Titleist 913Fd

Taylormade M2

Taylormade Jetspeed

Ping Rapture 

Callaway X2Hot 3Deep

Cleveland CG Black

Mizuno JPX

Tour Edge Exotics E8

Cobra Bio Cell

Taylormade SLDR TP

Nike Covert 2.0

Cleveland Classic XL

Adams Tight Lies

You get the point. If it was out there, I likely bought it, tried it, sold it. 

In the end....the club that has withstood the test of time and outlasted all others is a Ping G20 4w (16.5*) with a Diamana Flowerband Whiteboard 73X, 1/2" under standard loaded with a little lead tape to get the swing weight back up. There's nothing pretty about it AT ALL. It's big and ugly and has the half moon alignment marks on it. It's not the kind of thing I'd ever pick up off the rack or gravitate towards. None of the tech some of the models above have, but man it is just so stinkin good. 

So what fairway wood do you have in your bag that nothing else seems to be able to kick out?  Good to be back on WRX, Good to be back into golf. Missed this! 

I let the best 3 wood I ever had go like an idiot. It was a Ping Tisi tec 14* and it had a tour rfo hosel. (flat + open) Literally never missed the center of the face. But like an idiot I got rid of it for a Tour Edge Exotic CB2. Still kicking myself for that one.

• Like 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

3 hours ago, Willian70 said:

Callaway X Hot pro 5 wood 19* degrees.  Still in the bag might not ever leave.  

My buddy has an entirely new bag, but refuses to give up his x hot 3/5 lol.

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Rogue Elite 859 65R

Adams Idea Pro 20° VS Proto
Nike VR Pro Combo 3-PW XP115
Nike VR 54/58/62 XP115
Nike MC04w 
TP5X

4 minutes ago, cobra18 said:

F6 Baffler with a Proforce V2....i never hit a dreadful shot with it. I hit some poor shots, but never anything that instantly turns the hole into a failure. It is also so good out of the rough that i honestly don't know what i would replace it with....

Oh man, I had a baffler with a v2 96 that didn't go very far, but was laser straight. It was amazing off the tee.

Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Rogue Elite 859 65R

Adams Idea Pro 20° VS Proto
Nike VR Pro Combo 3-PW XP115
Nike VR 54/58/62 XP115
Nike MC04w 
TP5X

Titleist TS2 is as good as anything ever made. Had one for almost 2 years and just got kicked out by a SIM ti which is way too long in reality but its just too good. The twist face stuff actually works and it is always in the fairway. Stupid long though, probably within 10 paces of my driver if i hit them both on the screws. 

Edited by Albatross85
  • Like 1
  • AI Smoke 🔷🔷🔷10.5* Denali Black 60 6.5
  • TM M5 Tour 18.25* - Tensei AV White 2.0 TX
  • TM Stealth 7w 21* - Fuji Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 8s
  • Srixon ZX Utility 23* MMT 105TX HS
  • Srixon ZX7 5-Aw PX LZ 6.5 SS
  • Mizuno T7 55* - PX LZ 6.5
  • TM MG4 60* SBC - DG TI S400
  • Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 2024
  • Tour B XS

I am boring: