FS Mevo Accuracy & Ball Selection

Murdock

On 9/16/2020 at 4:44 PM, Mr_Wolfe said:

Appreciate the insight. Yes, the MEVO has those settings as well. For hitting into a net (indoor or outdoor), they say to use the indoor settings since it's capturing less than 40 feet of ball flight.

Mr. Wolfe

I have a mevo indoors and I've seen the same.  I find the distances are off by a larger margin with my long irons.  I carried a 4 iron ~190-195 the other day (ran out over the green to 210 or so).  But I find the mevo is reading ~180 for my carry for pure hits indoors.  I actually found moving my mat closer to the net gave me more accurate data, which seems counter intuitive for doppler.  But then on long irons it would not read so I had to move it back.

I'm also finding inconsistency in the launch angle.  The the point I got out a laser level and protractor to mark launch angles on my net.  

I'll hit a shot at that reads 13*, and then the next shot well below that and it will read 16*.  I think the movement of the nesting or the ball running up it (I have archery netting) might be affecting it.  I also have found on occasion a practice swing will read 13* launch so I wonder if it's mixing up the ball and club release.

I just picked it up a few weeks ago and haven't had a chance to take it to the range.  With cd weather rolling in that may have to wait until spring.

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 9* Kai'li White 60 S

3 Wood:  TaylorMade SIM2 15* Mayazaki Kusala Tour 72 S

5 Wood: TaylorMade Stealth2 18* Ventus Red TR 6 S

4 Hybrid: TaylorMade SIM 22* Tensei Orange Pro 80HY S

5 Iron-PW: TaylorMade P770 KBS TGI 100

Gap Wedge: Titliest Vokey SM0 50* KBS TGI 100

Sand Wedge: Titliest Vokey SM9 54* KBS TGI 100

Lob Wedge: Titliest Vokey SM9 60* KBS TGI 100

Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2 

• 1 month later...

I just got a mevo today to use indoors.  The data does not seems to be even close to accurate.  

I started with a 54* which I fly on the golf course 114ish.  Mevo said 97-99 on balls that I flushed.

8 iron I fly on the golf course about 162ish. Mevo said about 146.  

7 iron I fly on course about 174.  Mevo said 151.

I guess I’ll take it to the course and compare it to a laser, but very disappointing to say the least.

Planning on selling the mevo to buy some HGH, superspeed sticks, and some orgain protein shakes.

Edited by cwolfson

Titleist 917 D2 9.5 - Aldila Rogue Max X
TaylorMade '16 M2 3HL - AD DI 8X
Adams Pro black Hybrid 20, Voodoo X
Titleist 718 CB 4-9 DGTI X100 SS 
Cleveland RTX4 Black 46, 50, 54 DGTI S400

Titleist Vokey SM7M Black 59.07 S400
Ping Milled 0

On 8/28/2020 at 12:37 PM, Hondabuff said:

Find a spot where you can hit your gamer ball on the course to 100 yards. Drop the Mevo down and hit 5 or so balls to 100 yards and adjust the elevation setting until its very close to exact numbers. I have actually set my bag down and walk back 100 yards and lasered my bag. Pittsburgh is 1200' in elevation but I had to put it on 3800' and its dead on now with my ProV1x LD balls. Normal range balls are normally 10 yards shorter. I have one 168 yard Par3 at my course that I hit 2 sleeves of balls into it with the Mevo and my 7 iron. I feel its very accurate comparing it with the laser. Hope this helps.

Brilliant!!

On 12/7/2020 at 8:34 PM, cwolfson said:

I just got a mevo today to use indoors.  The data does not seems to be even close to accurate.  

I started with a 54* which I fly on the golf course 114ish.  Mevo said 97-99 on balls that I flushed.

8 iron I fly on the golf course about 162ish. Mevo said about 146.  

7 iron I fly on course about 174.  Mevo said 151.

I guess I’ll take it to the course and compare it to a laser, but very disappointing to say the least.

Planning on selling the mevo to buy some HGH, superspeed sticks, and some orgain protein shakes.

Try tinkering with the elevation setting.  Don't be afraid to bump it up thousands of feet if you need to!

6 hours ago, Murdock said:

Try tinkering with the elevation setting.  Don't be afraid to bump it up thousands of feet if you need to!

Will try that.  Thanks!!!

Titleist 917 D2 9.5 - Aldila Rogue Max X
TaylorMade '16 M2 3HL - AD DI 8X
Adams Pro black Hybrid 20, Voodoo X
Titleist 718 CB 4-9 DGTI X100 SS 
Cleveland RTX4 Black 46, 50, 54 DGTI S400

Titleist Vokey SM7M Black 59.07 S400
Ping Milled 0

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

When using indoors try putting 3 metallic dots on the ball.  I just started using the Mevo at home and this really helped tighten up the numbers on my irons.  They seem very accurate now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Taylormade SIM 8°, HZRDUS Smoke 6.5

Taylormade M3 15°, HZRDUS Smoke 6.5

PXG 0317 Proto 19°, Riptide Even Flow X

Maltby DBM Forged, 4-PW, Project X 7.0

Maltby M-Series+, 50°, 55°, 60° X100

L.A.B B.2

Bridgestone BX

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/10/2021 at 10:42 PM, kmar1085 said:

When using indoors try putting 3 metallic dots on the ball.  I just started using the Mevo at home and this really helped tighten up the numbers on my irons.  They seem very accurate now.

Thanks for the tip. Did you see the numbers across all parameters become more accurate? Or just spin? And, where are you placing the dots? In a cluster, or just anywhere that isn't the side you're going to make contact with?

• 2 months later...

Is there a concensus on the Mevo for short game use?  Quite a few write-ups (including one from a Spy) suggest it does not do well for shots less than 70 yards.

Ping G410 Plus Driver, TaylorMade Aeroburner 3W, Cobra F6 Baffler 
Callaway 2015 XR 4, 5 hybrids

Titleist 2021 T300 6-P, 48W, 53W irons

Ping Zing Lob wedge
Axis1 Rose putter

I haven't done as much testing with the 'pitching' settings as much as full shot, but I did test a few.  

I tested some in my back yard and the carry numbers weren't correct, the mevo was always much higher.  But, if you included the roll-out with the chip, it was much closer to the mevo numbers.  I asked FS and they confirmed the pitching 'carry' is the in-air carry and doesn't include roll-out....so based on that it was pretty off.  I'd chip a ball around 17-18 yards and the mevo would read ~25-30.  

Others may have found better results.  I think my unit mignt be faulty, but haven't taken it in to the FS office in Orlando (which they graciously suggested I could do - put it head to head with one of their top of the line teaching units).  

I did some extensive testing on the unit to try and determine what was going on, but haven't taken the time to post those results to this forum.  Primary because I wanted to run the tests again but haven't found the time to do it

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, dekez said:

Is there a concensus on the Mevo for short game use?  Quite a few write-ups (including one from a Spy) suggest it does not do well for shots less than 70 yards.

I've been grinding my 50-90 distances using the Mevo. Hitting into a net with the unit 7 feet back. On full swings with any any club, I'll fail to get a reading on maybe 1/100 shots, but in with these partial swings that number is probably closer to 15/100, with some of those 15 misses being partial reads where I get distance but not spin or clubhead speed. I tried using the pitching setting, which is meant for shots up to 40 yards but that didn't help. Overall I'd say it's a marginal failure rate 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Murdock said:

I haven't done as much testing with the 'pitching' settings as much as full shot, but I did test a few.  

I tested some in my back yard and the carry numbers weren't correct, the mevo was always much higher.  But, if you included the roll-out with the chip, it was much closer to the mevo numbers.  I asked FS and they confirmed the pitching 'carry' is the in-air carry and doesn't include roll-out....so based on that it was pretty off.  I'd chip a ball around 17-18 yards and the mevo would read ~25-30.  

Others may have found better results.  I think my unit mignt be faulty, but haven't taken it in to the FS office in Orlando (which they graciously suggested I could do - put it head to head with one of their top of the line teaching units).  

I did some extensive testing on the unit to try and determine what was going on, but haven't taken the time to post those results to this forum.  Primary because I wanted to run the tests again but haven't found the time to do it

This is interesting, thanks for posting. Especially because I'd assume the numbers would be worse if pitching into a net. I tend to practice these shots at the practice green. I'd like to know if any Rapsodo/G80/Voice Caddie users have the same issues on these kinds of shots. My guess is that there is an ideal unit for players looking to sharpen their pitching while sacrificing accuracy on some other metric. 

As for my Mevo, I've also found club head speed to be overstated. Normalized on Trackman I'm 105 with the driver, and Mevo consistently reads me at 111, which is the difference between stiff and extra stiff. 

I have found my clubhead speed with my Ping drivers and woods to be understated. Conversely, I've found long iron speed to be overstated. I think it has to do with the different materials compositions and shapes of the heads.  I can swing with the woods and struggle to display more than 102 clubhead speed, but then show ball speed in the 150's.  Maybe the driver will show 105, with ballspeed around 160.  But then switch to my 2 iron and clubhead speed is up in the 104-108 range, but ball speed always in the 140's.  FWIW, I think my real driver swing speed is 110-113, fairways 105-108, and 2 iron 100-104.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, LCP said:

I have found my clubhead speed with my Ping drivers and woods to be understated. Conversely, I've found long iron speed to be overstated. I think it has to do with the different materials compositions and shapes of the heads.  I can swing with the woods and struggle to display more than 102 clubhead speed, but then show ball speed in the 150's.  Maybe the driver will show 105, with ballspeed around 160.  But then switch to my 2 iron and clubhead speed is up in the 104-108 range, but ball speed always in the 140's.  FWIW, I think my real driver swing speed is 110-113, fairways 105-108, and 2 iron 100-104.

I'm also swinging a Ping driver. Maybe it's a materials thing, or the distance of the unit. As I understand it, there isn't even a standard for how club head speed is measured, and Trackman and Quad each have their own way of doing so. But the upshot is maybe I can get that Ventus Black off BST! 

I have found Mevo to be quite accurate both at the range and into a net.  Better than I anticipated.  Ball speed seems very consistent and based on ball speed you can tell when you get a bad reading.  Swing speed is a bit all over the place.  

I find Mevo very accurate for well struck shots and provides great info for the price of the unit.  Seems accurate all the way down to 40yd pitches.  Spin also seems surprising good with the metal dots for a unit in this price range.