2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Will Callaway be coming out with a new Apex forged for 2021?

JD3

Imo they did such an incredible job with Apex forged 2019, the design goes to toe to toe with the much higher priced "concept" irons and should hold it's own for years to come. So how does Callaway argue they'll come up with something better for 2021? They waited 3 years between apex forged 2016 and 2019, and I expect the same this time around. Be interested if anyone had good information otherwise. 

Edited by Buzzkill

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT MMT 95

Callaway X Forged CB 21' 4-PW Modus 120

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/28/2020 at 9:48 PM, JD3 said:

Imo they did such an incredible job with Alex forged 2019, the design goes to toe to toe with the much higher priced "concept" irons and should hold it's own for years to come. So how does Callaway argue they'll come up with something better for 2021? They waited 3 years between apex forged 2016 and 2019, and I expect the same this time around. Be interested if anyone had good information otherwise. 

As I stated in another thread they have plenty of room to improve here. T100 dominated this space because it had tungsten in the heel and toe producing and extremely high MOI for a players cb while all others had tungsten in the toe only. If Callaway goes tungsten in the heel and toe as well as giving the iron an AI face they could jump to the top from a tech standpoint in this space.

Callaway Epic Max LS 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 6 X
TaylorMade SIM2 15* & 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 7 & 8 X

Srixon ZX7 4-AW Mitsubishi MMT 105 TX

Mizuno T20 Raw 57/11@56 & 61/07@60 Mitsubishi MMT Scoring Wedge 105 TX

Evnroll ER 2.2 MidBlade Mitsubishi MMT Putter Concept 135
Titleist Pro V1x #13

On 8/17/2020 at 9:58 PM, desaille said:

Isn't that what mavrik pro already did?

Edited by JD3

Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips

I expect them to introduce something if honestly for no other reason because in my opinion they messed up with the 2018/2019 releases for their better players clubs by not making them an easy combo set (other than '19 Apex and Apex Pro) which is where everything is trending.  If you look at how Mizuno has released their last few irons sets and Taylor Made as well with the new P7MB, P7MC and P770 I would expect Callaway to "clean up" their players line and release it all together so people can make combo sets.  They should have done that last time.

There's nothing wrong with the 2018 and 2019 releases by themselves.  You're right the Apex CF19 was a nice improvement over the CF16 from a shaping stand point and they tried to up the ante on the Apex Pro by putting in face cups in the longer irons.  But then they also released the MBs the prior year with the X Forged.  And while Phil combo'd that for little while it's just slightly off... Then they released the Apex Pro 'double dots' without the face cups but I don't know if those even came to retail.  

Again all their current players irons are nice clubs.  The '18 MBs are fantastic, many people like the X Forged.  The '19 Apex and Apex Pro's are very nice but again it wouldn't surprise me to see Callaway "clean up" the category a little bit by releasing them at once to get people excited about building combo sets which is (and should be) the new trend in set making.

Edited by cmatthews77

Callaway Epic Speed 9° Driver
Callaway Epic Speed 4W - Smoke IM10

Callaway Apex UW (21°)

Mizuno Pro 225 (4i); 223 (5-9i); 221 (PW)
Jaws MD 5 50°, Full Toe 54°, 58° PM Grind
Toulon Odyssey Chicago

On 8/31/2020 at 9:49 AM, cmatthews77 said:

I expect them to introduce something if honestly for no other reason because in my opinion they messed up with the 2018/2019 releases for their better players clubs by not making them an easy combo set (other than '19 Apex and Apex Pro) which is where everything is trending.  If you look at how Mizuno has released their last few irons sets and Taylor Made as well with the new P7MB, P7MC and P770 I would expect Callaway to "clean up" their players line and release it all together so people can make combo sets.  They should have done that last time.

There's nothing wrong with the 2018 and 2019 releases by themselves.  You're right the Apex CF19 was a nice improvement over the CF16 from a shaping stand point and they tried to up the ante on the Apex Pro by putting in face cups in the longer irons.  But then they also released the MBs the prior year with the X Forged.  And while Phil combo'd that for little while it's just slightly off... Then they released the Apex Pro 'double dots' without the face cups but I don't know if those even came to retail.  

Again all their current players irons are nice clubs.  The '18 MBs are fantastic, many people like the X Forged.  The '19 Apex and Apex Pro's are very nice but again it wouldn't surprise me to see Callaway "clean up" the category a little bit by releasing them at once to get people excited about building combo sets which is (and should be) the new trend in set making.

I've seen club pros combine apex pro short irons with apex forged long irons to make a combo set. Imo the apex forged short irons are so similar in size and construction to apex pro I don't see the need to try and mix and match. I.e. the made the apex forged short irons quite compact looking. 

Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips

6 hours ago, JD3 said:

I've seen club pros combine apex pro short irons with apex forged long irons to make a combo set. Imo the apex forged short irons are so similar in size and construction to apex pro I don't see the need to try and mix and match. I.e. the made the apex forged short irons quite compact looking. 

Yes, they released the Apex and Apex Pro as an easy combo offering- they even have a "combo'" set of the Apex/Apex Pro direct from Callaway with the lofts custom for that.  You're correct I think the Apex Forged is an improvement over the CF16 from a shaping stand point.  Again, they're all great clubs.  I just want MORE combo offerings.  Maybe I watch too much Crossfield on YouTube but I agree with him that new trends should be fitting like every club in the bag not just a "stock set". 

I combo the '18 Apex MBs (8-PW) and just replaced my long irons with the '19 Apex Pro's.  They fly a touch higher than the '16 Apex Pro's I gamed.  I went with the 5i in the Apex Pro also whereas before I had a 5i in the CF16.  I'll try it for a while but that club is always up in the air as I try to maximize carry on mishits and increase peak height and land angle consistently.

Case in point of Phil's bag... he's currently gaming 8-PW in the MB, the Apex Pro 7i and the Epic Forged 5i and 6i.  Give us regular(s) more chances to do that with the players lines like you could do with say a Mavrik iron line (combo'ing the Pro, regular and max if you wanted).  If they're going to refresh the Apex line whether it be this fall or next year I just hope they take all this into consideration and offer new MBs, CBs, 'techy' players clubs, etc. all together so if someone was in the market they could build a set all within the same family with finishes, etc.  

Edited by cmatthews77

Callaway Epic Speed 9° Driver
Callaway Epic Speed 4W - Smoke IM10

Callaway Apex UW (21°)

Mizuno Pro 225 (4i); 223 (5-9i); 221 (PW)
Jaws MD 5 50°, Full Toe 54°, 58° PM Grind
Toulon Odyssey Chicago

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/2/2020 at 3:18 PM, cmatthews77 said:

Yes, they released the Apex and Apex Pro as an easy combo offering- they even have a "combo'" set of the Apex/Apex Pro direct from Callaway with the lofts custom for that.  You're correct I think the Apex Forged is an improvement over the CF16 from a shaping stand point.  Again, they're all great clubs.  I just want MORE combo offerings.  Maybe I watch too much Crossfield on YouTube but I agree with him that new trends should be fitting like every club in the bag not just a "stock set". 

I combo the '18 Apex MBs (8-PW) and just replaced my long irons with the '19 Apex Pro's.  They fly a touch higher than the '16 Apex Pro's I gamed.  I went with the 5i in the Apex Pro also whereas before I had a 5i in the CF16.  I'll try it for a while but that club is always up in the air as I try to maximize carry on mishits and increase peak height and land angle consistently.

Case in point of Phil's bag... he's currently gaming 8-PW in the MB, the Apex Pro 7i and the Epic Forged 5i and 6i.  Give us regular(s) more chances to do that with the players lines like you could do with say a Mavrik iron line (combo'ing the Pro, regular and max if you wanted).  If they're going to refresh the Apex line whether it be this fall or next year I just hope they take all this into consideration and offer new MBs, CBs, 'techy' players clubs, etc. all together so if someone was in the market they could build a set all within the same family with finishes, etc.  

Yeah I hear what you're saying. I'd consider MB for short irons, apex for long, but what about middle irons? You can have a clubfitter tweak the lofts but that's difficult because unless you're a pro they won't give you the time to iterate the tweaks. My season is over due to injury but assuming I can play next year I will change to a combo set....I've been having issues fading my apex short irons with the added offset and bounce, so I need either MB or Apex Pros for the shorties. But the long irons I'm quite attached to and will not change. 

Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips

On 9/2/2020 at 3:18 PM, cmatthews77 said:

That’s pretty much what I did with the mavrik line of irons. I went with a 6-7 in the max then to the pro for 8-Aw. I thought of using the regular mavrik too but that would have reignited either length or loft adjustment. Loft wise and so far distance wise the max to pro gaps fine. 

We're going on a Minimalist Adventure who knows were we'll end up:

Taylormade BRNR Mini Copper 13.5

Taylormade Sim Max 7w Mitsubishi Diamana F Limited 75S

Odds or Evens - Callaway Mavrik Pro 6-PW Project X Rifle Tour Flighted 105 6.0

White Hot OG #1

Srixon Z Star/Chrome Soft X