P770’s Have Arrived!

Look what showed up today!! First test at 7:40 am tomorrow morning!!

Anyone else get theirs yet?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 4

WITB

Taylor Made SIM 10.5 degree Diamana S60 Limited Stiff
Taylor Made SIM 15 degree Diamana FW 75 Limited Stiff
Taylor Made SIM UDI 3 Diamana HY90 Thump Stiff
Taylor Made P770 4 - P KBS Tour 120 Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM8 52-12F
Titleist Vokey SM8 56-10S
Titleist Vokey SM8 60-12D
Odyssey O-force 2-Ball
Taylor Made TP5

GO VOLS!
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I got mine this week and have 1 round and probably 500 range balls off of them. Mine are shafted with SteelFiber 95gm shafts.  I was gaming the Bridgestone J15 CB's with Recoil 110 F4 shafts and

Look what showed up today!! First test at 7:40 am tomorrow morning!!   Anyone else get theirs yet?

Finally got on the course for the first time this morning, and was very pleased:   Looks - Best looking iron I have ever put in my bag. At address, just a great looking club, minimal offset,

Posted Images

Irons look great!

Those shaft labels, not so much!

Enjoy!! ⛳🏌🏽‍♂️

• Like 1

Srixon Z585, 10.5*
Ping G15 16.5*
Cobra DWS 23*, Nippon 950GH
Mizuno MP 4 5-PW

Vokey SM7 52F
Vokey SM7 56M
Odyssey White Hot #2 CS

29 minutes ago, gdb99 said:

Irons look great!

Those shaft labels, not so much!

Enjoy!! ⛳🏌🏽‍♂️

Yah not sure why they went with such fugly labels 

• Like 1

Taylormade Sim 9* (9.75*) Accra tour Z RPG 472 m5+
Titleist TS3 15* Synergy green proto 80tx

Titleist U500 2 iron Aerotech HLS 980 xstiff
Taylormade p750 4-PW
Callaway md4 52/56/ 60
Scotty Cameron 2012 Newport 2

Oh man... P770 with KBS Tour 120. That’s my jam. I’ll need a full report.... and dibs if you want to flip them.😋

• Like 1

M2 or M3 or M4 or ... M5 or SIM
Some driving iron for Links courses
Titleist or Mizzy Blades when I feel lucky otherwise some AP2s or Pings or z745s or Callys 
A Vokey wedge or 2 or 3
I love/hate every one of my 17 putters

51 minutes ago, rxk9fan said:

I got mine this week and have 1 round and probably 500 range balls off of them.

Mine are shafted with SteelFiber 95gm shafts.  I was gaming the Bridgestone J15 CB's with Recoil 110 F4 shafts and before that I played the original P770's for many rounds.

I won't pretend to have come to a long term decision, but I have already decided to game them in my club championship in 2 weeks.  I will give my thoughts so far between those 3 sets:

1. FEEL: On perfectly flushed shots, the J15 CB's are the softest and the original 770's would come in second in this category.  On slight mis-hits, the J15's are still the softest but the new 770 surpasses the original.  You can tell where you miss all three, and none are harsh when telling you.

2. DISTANCE: On flushed short irons, the new P770 is a few yards longer, but nothing huge.  On the long irons this stretches out a little more.  Definitely noticable, but not like a full club difference.  On slight mishits, the new P770 keeps more distance than the other two.  I have been swinging my irons well, so I really don't know what I will get with really poor strikes but I don't expect much on those from any club.

3. DISPERSION: This is what has jumped out at me.  I am impressed up to this point.  In my limited time with them, I can give first place to the new P770.  Honeymoon??

4. TRAJECTORY:  The new P770 launches the highest of the three.  No ballooning, just high.  I would not be choosing a shaft with high launch to pair with these.

5. SPIN:  I have not been on a monitor with them, but they certainly held greens.  I was not zipping anything back, instead they were just stopping on the greens pretty much exactly where they hit.  I had a couple that may have backed up a few feet, and a couple that may have released a few feet.  In all, perfect in this respect.  They held comparably to the original 770, and bit a little quicker than the Bridgestone J15's.

6. WORKABILITY:  If you like to move the ball a lot, I would look elsewhere.  You can move them, but you have to work at it a bit.  They seem to prefer high and straight.

7. TRAJECTORY CONTROL:  Again, you can flight the new P770 but it takes a little more work.  For trajectory control, I would rate the old P770 first, followed by the Bridgestone.

8. DISTANCE CONTROL-MY KEY TO APPRECIATING AN IRON: All three of these sets are super in this area. At this time I would choose the new P770 in this area because I seem to lose less on the slight misses.

In summary, I was not wowed by the distance with the new P770, nor wowed by the feel.  Distance surpassed my gamers, but by probably 1/2 a club.  Feel and sound are just fine for this player but neither a reason to switch to the new P770.  What I was impressed with was dispersion and distance control.  The Bridgestone J15 CB is my favorite all time iron, and the original P770 was my second favorite.  I am 100% in the honeymoon phase and I know that can go away quickly sometimes.  BUT for now, the new P770 is in the bag because I am hitting balls closer to the pins with them (and the little extra distance is nice).

51 minutes ago, rxk9fan said:

I got mine this week and have 1 round and probably 500 range balls off of them.

Mine are shafted with SteelFiber 95gm shafts.  I was gaming the Bridgestone J15 CB's with Recoil 110 F4 shafts and before that I played the original P770's for many rounds.

I won't pretend to have come to a long term decision, but I have already decided to game them in my club championship in 2 weeks.  I will give my thoughts so far between those 3 sets:

1. FEEL: On perfectly flushed shots, the J15 CB's are the softest and the original 770's would come in second in this category.  On slight mis-hits, the J15's are still the softest but the new 770 surpasses the original.  You can tell where you miss all three, and none are harsh when telling you.

2. DISTANCE: On flushed short irons, the new P770 is a few yards longer, but nothing huge.  On the long irons this stretches out a little more.  Definitely noticable, but not like a full club difference.  On slight mishits, the new P770 keeps more distance than the other two.  I have been swinging my irons well, so I really don't know what I will get with really poor strikes but I don't expect much on those from any club.

3. DISPERSION: This is what has jumped out at me.  I am impressed up to this point.  In my limited time with them, I can give first place to the new P770.  Honeymoon??

4. TRAJECTORY:  The new P770 launches the highest of the three.  No ballooning, just high.  I would not be choosing a shaft with high launch to pair with these.

5. SPIN:  I have not been on a monitor with them, but they certainly held greens.  I was not zipping anything back, instead they were just stopping on the greens pretty much exactly where they hit.  I had a couple that may have backed up a few feet, and a couple that may have released a few feet.  In all, perfect in this respect.  They held comparably to the original 770, and bit a little quicker than the Bridgestone J15's.

6. WORKABILITY:  If you like to move the ball a lot, I would look elsewhere.  You can move them, but you have to work at it a bit.  They seem to prefer high and straight.

7. TRAJECTORY CONTROL:  Again, you can flight the new P770 but it takes a little more work.  For trajectory control, I would rate the old P770 first, followed by the Bridgestone.

8. DISTANCE CONTROL-MY KEY TO APPRECIATING AN IRON: All three of these sets are super in this area. At this time I would choose the new P770 in this area because I seem to lose less on the slight misses.

In summary, I was not wowed by the distance with the new P770, nor wowed by the feel.  Distance surpassed my gamers, but by probably 1/2 a club.  Feel and sound are just fine for this player but neither a reason to switch to the new P770.  What I was impressed with was dispersion and distance control.  The Bridgestone J15 CB is my favorite all time iron, and the original P770 was my second favorite.  I am 100% in the honeymoon phase and I know that can go away quickly sometimes.  BUT for now, the new P770 is in the bag because I am hitting balls closer to the pins with them (and the little extra distance is nice).

Nice thanks for the thoughts.  I am more interested In your thoughts on the steelfiber vs recoils? 

im using steelfibers in my 0311 now and was considering recoils 95 F4 in my next set but was likely going to start with SF. Any Noticeable difference? Any feel heavier or  more harsh

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 10.5*
Irons: PXG 0311 4-PW
Hybrids: PXG 0317X 17*, 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, Taylormade Bigfoot Hi-Toe 60*
Putter: Ping Vault 2.0 Ketcsh (solid black)  
Bag: Titleist Players 4 (Green) (something new is coming, cant decide.)
Ball: Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

3 hours ago, boggyman said:

I like the orange bag!!

GO VOLS!

• Like 2

WITB

Odyssey O-force 2-Ball
Taylor Made TP5

GO VOLS!

Set of the MC's already for sale up here on Kijiji...

SM 3.5 Bag:

Titleist TS3 8.5* w/ DI BB-6X

TM Sim Ti 14* w/ Kai'Li 80X

Titleist TS3 19*  w/ Atmos HB TS Blue 8X 

Titleist 718 AP2 4-P w/ DG TI 120 S400

Titleist SM7 50/54/58 w/ DG TI S400

Yes! Abbie Forged 33"

I may have misread but the TM site has the 770's more workable than the MC's. Thought that was interesting. These will be a home run for TM. If I hadn't just bought the 919 tours this year I would be seriously looking at these. Have fun tomorrow. 

I love my i210s.....but those have me looking.....  Congrats on your new irons, they look stunning.

TaylorMade SIM 10.5*, HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g 6.5
TaylorMade SIM Max 3W 15*, HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g 6.5
Titleist 818H1 21*, Tensei Pro White 90S
Taylormade P770 4-PW, KBS Tour 120 S
Titleist Vokey SM8 50F, 54S, 58M

TaylorMade Spider X

52 minutes ago, gwelfgulfer said:

Set of the MC's already for sale up here on Kijiji...

"Rick Sheils plays them so surely I can too"

🤣

• Haha 2

d: G410+ | f: M3 |  h: Epic | i: P760 | w: RTX4 | p: SpiderX

Just now, bombs said:

"Rick Sheils plays them so surely I can too"

🤣

Maybe he can do another 'Quest for the Open' again with all this new, betterer greaterer gearsz

SM 3.5 Bag:

Yes! Abbie Forged 33"

10 hours ago, Minarets said:

Nice thanks for the thoughts.  I am more interested In your thoughts on the steelfiber vs recoils? 

im using steelfibers in my 0311 now and was considering recoils 95 F4 in my next set but was likely going to start with SF. Any Noticeable difference? Any feel heavier or  more harsh

There is very much a difference, but I have a hard time pinning down a clear preference.  

Long story short, quit the game for 20 years after compound fracturing both arms.  Catastrophic enough the Health System surgeons I work with sent me somewhere else for repair.  When I did come back to golf, I was 20 years older, had the typical left overs that happen when you go over a car at 60 mph from a motorcycle, and severe tendinitis...so I had to find graphite.  I have tried a bunch, building 8 sets and buying more in the last 2 years.  So, this is where I came from and for me this is what I have found.

The Recoil 110 F4 is amazing to me in that it fits so many different swings.  I am 61 years old and when I got on trackman last my driver SS was averaging 99.8.  I went with a 24 year old that works at the club and his driver ss was 107 - 108.  The fitter told him after he hit his irons that they were as optimal as he could hope to get (those were his gamers with Srixon Z945...a set I use to play).  Then when I hit them with my much slower swing speed, they performed great for me too.  Besides fitting a wide range of players, almost everyone loves their feel and finds them easy to load.  My only caveat with them is that with my swing and certain heads (like Titleist 716 CB's), they can produce a lot of spin.  

As for the SteelFiber, they for sure play stiffer to flex unless you go to the fc.  With the original SF (which I play), the stiff flex is too much for me to handle and the r is perfect.  I don't feel it load like the Recoil, and they do not have that super soft Recoil feel.  But, I feel they give me a little tighter dispersion, are easier to flight, and keep spin down a bit.  The last sentence is why I went SF with this set.

I think I did well as I have seen no ballooning but beautiful flight and plenty of green stopping ability.

Hope that helps a tiny bit and of course YMMV :-)

PS: Some people find SF harsh where nobody says that about Recoils.  I just think if you get too stiff, they can feel harsh for sure.

17 minutes ago, rxk9fan said:

There is very much a difference, but I have a hard time pinning down a clear preference.  

Long story short, quit the game for 20 years after compound fracturing both arms.  Catastrophic enough the Health System surgeons I work with sent me somewhere else for repair.  When I did come back to golf, I was 20 years older, had the typical left overs that happen when you go over a car at 60 mph from a motorcycle, and severe tendinitis...so I had to find graphite.  I have tried a bunch, building 8 sets and buying more in the last 2 years.  So, this is where I came from and for me this is what I have found.

The Recoil 110 F4 is amazing to me in that it fits so many different swings.  I am 61 years old and when I got on trackman last my driver SS was averaging 99.8.  I went with a 24 year old that works at the club and his driver ss was 107 - 108.  The fitter told him after he hit his irons that they were as optimal as he could hope to get (those were his gamers with Srixon Z945...a set I use to play).  Then when I hit them with my much slower swing speed, they performed great for me too.  Besides fitting a wide range of players, almost everyone loves their feel and finds them easy to load.  My only caveat with them is that with my swing and certain heads (like Titleist 716 CB's), they can produce a lot of spin.  

As for the SteelFiber, they for sure play stiffer to flex unless you go to the fc.  With the original SF (which I play), the stiff flex is too much for me to handle and the r is perfect.  I don't feel it load like the Recoil, and they do not have that super soft Recoil feel.  But, I feel they give me a little tighter dispersion, are easier to flight, and keep spin down a bit.  The last sentence is why I went SF with this set.

I think I did well as I have seen no ballooning but beautiful flight and plenty of green stopping ability.

Hope that helps a tiny bit and of course YMMV 🙂

PS: Some people find SF harsh where nobody says that about Recoils.  I just think if you get too stiff, they can feel harsh for sure.

Thanks. I play SF too because of tendinitis.  I have a 100 SS Witt driver, very similar to yours.  I play R SF hardstepped twice.  I have loved them the last 3 years with my 0311.  I have only really considered graphite moving forward.  Recoils seem to be the most available in fitting carts or as options with many clubs upgrades. That's for the feedback.  Didn't know they spun so much.  I will need to look at that for sure. I already get plenty of spin in my irons i don't want to lose any distance.  Thanks so much for your thoughts.   

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 10.5*
Irons: PXG 0311 4-PW
Hybrids: PXG 0317X 17*, 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, Taylormade Bigfoot Hi-Toe 60*
Putter: Ping Vault 2.0 Ketcsh (solid black)  
Bag: Titleist Players 4 (Green) (something new is coming, cant decide.)
Ball: Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

12 hours ago, gwelfgulfer said:

Maybe he can do another 'Quest for the Open' again with all this new, betterer greaterer gearsz

Was that Rick  also doing that or just Peter Finch? Can’t remember. 

TaylorMade SIM 10.5 Fujikura Ventus Velocore Black 6X 45.25

Ping G410 14.5 Evenflow Black 85 6.5 43.0
Ben Hogan VKTR+ 19 UST Recoil ES 95 F5 X 
Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW Nippon Modus Pro 120X 1 Flat 
Mizuno MP 20 56, TM HiToe 58/10
Rife Phenom.Z 34”

I think they both did something like it, but maybe called it something else.  The kid can't putt, so not like it was going to happen anyway.

Edited by gwelfgulfer

SM 3.5 Bag:

Yes! Abbie Forged 33"

No update...rained out!! Talk about frustration!!!

WITB

Odyssey O-force 2-Ball
Taylor Made TP5

GO VOLS!
On 8/29/2020 at 11:27 AM, texcrom said:

Look what showed up today!! First test at 7:40 am tomorrow morning!!

Anyone else get theirs yet?

Wow, nice!  This gives me hope that I'll see mine this week - I ordered them on 8/15 but with custom shaft/grip - I'll be staying tuned for your review in the mean time.  Thanks for sharing the pics and I hope you're able to get a round in with them soon.

Edited by keith723

Taylormade M5 8.25*, Project X "HC" HZRDUS Black 65 6.5

Callaway Epic 14*, Aldila RIPX 75-TX

PING G410 Hybrid 18*, Project X EvenFlow Black 85-X

Taylormade P770 (4-PW), Project X 6.0

Titleist T100 (GW), Project X 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM8, 54.10(S), 60.12(D), Project X 6.0

Taylormade Spider X, 35"

16 hours ago, BiggErn said:

yep GO VOLS!  Nice sticks btw

AF2054DA-CC47-4B7C-86A7-1ECBE08BAA15.jpeg

Would prolly look better in maroon and white Aggie colors...just messing with you great looking clubs and best of luck to the Vols this season except on November 14th 😉

On 8/31/2020 at 5:26 PM, BiggErn said:

yep GO VOLS!  Nice sticks btw

AF2054DA-CC47-4B7C-86A7-1ECBE08BAA15.jpeg

You too! Great putter cover!

• Like 1

WITB