• Like 1

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

Oh man... P770 with KBS Tour 120. That’s my jam. I’ll need a full report.... and dibs if you want to flip them.?

• Like 1

Some flavor of the month driver.
Some driving iron for Links courses.

A hybrid to save my bad shots.
Titleist blades when I feel lucky otherwise something more forgiving.
A Vokey wedge or 2.
I hate every one of my 17 putters.

51 minutes ago, rxk9fan said:

I got mine this week and have 1 round and probably 500 range balls off of them.

Mine are shafted with SteelFiber 95gm shafts.  I was gaming the Bridgestone J15 CB's with Recoil 110 F4 shafts and before that I played the original P770's for many rounds.

I won't pretend to have come to a long term decision, but I have already decided to game them in my club championship in 2 weeks.  I will give my thoughts so far between those 3 sets:

1. FEEL: On perfectly flushed shots, the J15 CB's are the softest and the original 770's would come in second in this category.  On slight mis-hits, the J15's are still the softest but the new 770 surpasses the original.  You can tell where you miss all three, and none are harsh when telling you.

2. DISTANCE: On flushed short irons, the new P770 is a few yards longer, but nothing huge.  On the long irons this stretches out a little more.  Definitely noticable, but not like a full club difference.  On slight mishits, the new P770 keeps more distance than the other two.  I have been swinging my irons well, so I really don't know what I will get with really poor strikes but I don't expect much on those from any club.

3. DISPERSION: This is what has jumped out at me.  I am impressed up to this point.  In my limited time with them, I can give first place to the new P770.  Honeymoon??

4. TRAJECTORY:  The new P770 launches the highest of the three.  No ballooning, just high.  I would not be choosing a shaft with high launch to pair with these.

5. SPIN:  I have not been on a monitor with them, but they certainly held greens.  I was not zipping anything back, instead they were just stopping on the greens pretty much exactly where they hit.  I had a couple that may have backed up a few feet, and a couple that may have released a few feet.  In all, perfect in this respect.  They held comparably to the original 770, and bit a little quicker than the Bridgestone J15's.

6. WORKABILITY:  If you like to move the ball a lot, I would look elsewhere.  You can move them, but you have to work at it a bit.  They seem to prefer high and straight.

7. TRAJECTORY CONTROL:  Again, you can flight the new P770 but it takes a little more work.  For trajectory control, I would rate the old P770 first, followed by the Bridgestone.

8. DISTANCE CONTROL-MY KEY TO APPRECIATING AN IRON: All three of these sets are super in this area. At this time I would choose the new P770 in this area because I seem to lose less on the slight misses.

In summary, I was not wowed by the distance with the new P770, nor wowed by the feel.  Distance surpassed my gamers, but by probably 1/2 a club.  Feel and sound are just fine for this player but neither a reason to switch to the new P770.  What I was impressed with was dispersion and distance control.  The Bridgestone J15 CB is my favorite all time iron, and the original P770 was my second favorite.  I am 100% in the honeymoon phase and I know that can go away quickly sometimes.  BUT for now, the new P770 is in the bag because I am hitting balls closer to the pins with them (and the little extra distance is nice).

51 minutes ago, rxk9fan said:

I got mine this week and have 1 round and probably 500 range balls off of them.

Mine are shafted with SteelFiber 95gm shafts.  I was gaming the Bridgestone J15 CB's with Recoil 110 F4 shafts and before that I played the original P770's for many rounds.

I won't pretend to have come to a long term decision, but I have already decided to game them in my club championship in 2 weeks.  I will give my thoughts so far between those 3 sets:

1. FEEL: On perfectly flushed shots, the J15 CB's are the softest and the original 770's would come in second in this category.  On slight mis-hits, the J15's are still the softest but the new 770 surpasses the original.  You can tell where you miss all three, and none are harsh when telling you.

2. DISTANCE: On flushed short irons, the new P770 is a few yards longer, but nothing huge.  On the long irons this stretches out a little more.  Definitely noticable, but not like a full club difference.  On slight mishits, the new P770 keeps more distance than the other two.  I have been swinging my irons well, so I really don't know what I will get with really poor strikes but I don't expect much on those from any club.

3. DISPERSION: This is what has jumped out at me.  I am impressed up to this point.  In my limited time with them, I can give first place to the new P770.  Honeymoon??

4. TRAJECTORY:  The new P770 launches the highest of the three.  No ballooning, just high.  I would not be choosing a shaft with high launch to pair with these.

5. SPIN:  I have not been on a monitor with them, but they certainly held greens.  I was not zipping anything back, instead they were just stopping on the greens pretty much exactly where they hit.  I had a couple that may have backed up a few feet, and a couple that may have released a few feet.  In all, perfect in this respect.  They held comparably to the original 770, and bit a little quicker than the Bridgestone J15's.

6. WORKABILITY:  If you like to move the ball a lot, I would look elsewhere.  You can move them, but you have to work at it a bit.  They seem to prefer high and straight.

7. TRAJECTORY CONTROL:  Again, you can flight the new P770 but it takes a little more work.  For trajectory control, I would rate the old P770 first, followed by the Bridgestone.

8. DISTANCE CONTROL-MY KEY TO APPRECIATING AN IRON: All three of these sets are super in this area. At this time I would choose the new P770 in this area because I seem to lose less on the slight misses.

In summary, I was not wowed by the distance with the new P770, nor wowed by the feel.  Distance surpassed my gamers, but by probably 1/2 a club.  Feel and sound are just fine for this player but neither a reason to switch to the new P770.  What I was impressed with was dispersion and distance control.  The Bridgestone J15 CB is my favorite all time iron, and the original P770 was my second favorite.  I am 100% in the honeymoon phase and I know that can go away quickly sometimes.  BUT for now, the new P770 is in the bag because I am hitting balls closer to the pins with them (and the little extra distance is nice).

Nice thanks for the thoughts.  I am more interested In your thoughts on the steelfiber vs recoils? 

im using steelfibers in my 0311 now and was considering recoils 95 F4 in my next set but was likely going to start with SF. Any Noticeable difference? Any feel heavier or  more harsh

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

3 hours ago, boggyman said:

I like the orange bag!!

GO VOLS!

• Like 2

WITB

Ping G430 Max 9.0 degree Diamana ZF 60 Stiff

Ping G430 Max 3 wood 15 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Ping G430 Max 5 wood 18 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Mizuno Pro 243  4 - G Modus 120 Stiff

Titleist Vokey SM9  56-14F, 60-10S

Scotty Cameron Super Select Del Mar

Titleist Pro V1 / Pro V1X

I love my i210s.....but those have me looking.....  Congrats on your new irons, they look stunning.

Ping G430 MAX 10K 9*, Ventus Black 6X
Ping G430 MAX 3W 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X
Ping G430 Hybrid 19*, Ventus Blue HB 9X  /or/  Titleist TSR2 7W 21*, Tensei Black 75X

Ping i230 4i DG 120 S300

Ping Blueprint S, 5-PW DG 120 S300

Titleist Vokey SM9 50F, 54S, 58M

Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Mini CH /or/ Tri Hot 5K Seven CH

52 minutes ago, gwelfgulfer said:

Set of the MC's already for sale up here on Kijiji...

"Rick Sheils plays them so surely I can too"

?

• Haha 2

PING G425 MAX W/ TENSEI AV RAW ORANGE X

TITLEIST TSR2 5 WOOD W/ TENSEI 1K BLACK X

TITLEIST TSR2 4 HYBRID W/ TENSEI 1K BLACK X

MIZUNO 223 5-P W/ DG 120 X100

MIZUNO T22 50-56-60 W/ DG S400

SCOTTY CAMERON PHANTOM X7

10 hours ago, Minarets said:

Nice thanks for the thoughts.  I am more interested In your thoughts on the steelfiber vs recoils? 

im using steelfibers in my 0311 now and was considering recoils 95 F4 in my next set but was likely going to start with SF. Any Noticeable difference? Any feel heavier or  more harsh

There is very much a difference, but I have a hard time pinning down a clear preference.  

Long story short, quit the game for 20 years after compound fracturing both arms.  Catastrophic enough the Health System surgeons I work with sent me somewhere else for repair.  When I did come back to golf, I was 20 years older, had the typical left overs that happen when you go over a car at 60 mph from a motorcycle, and severe tendinitis...so I had to find graphite.  I have tried a bunch, building 8 sets and buying more in the last 2 years.  So, this is where I came from and for me this is what I have found.

The Recoil 110 F4 is amazing to me in that it fits so many different swings.  I am 61 years old and when I got on trackman last my driver SS was averaging 99.8.  I went with a 24 year old that works at the club and his driver ss was 107 - 108.  The fitter told him after he hit his irons that they were as optimal as he could hope to get (those were his gamers with Srixon Z945...a set I use to play).  Then when I hit them with my much slower swing speed, they performed great for me too.  Besides fitting a wide range of players, almost everyone loves their feel and finds them easy to load.  My only caveat with them is that with my swing and certain heads (like Titleist 716 CB's), they can produce a lot of spin.  

As for the SteelFiber, they for sure play stiffer to flex unless you go to the fc.  With the original SF (which I play), the stiff flex is too much for me to handle and the r is perfect.  I don't feel it load like the Recoil, and they do not have that super soft Recoil feel.  But, I feel they give me a little tighter dispersion, are easier to flight, and keep spin down a bit.  The last sentence is why I went SF with this set.

I think I did well as I have seen no ballooning but beautiful flight and plenty of green stopping ability.

Hope that helps a tiny bit and of course YMMV :-)

PS: Some people find SF harsh where nobody says that about Recoils.  I just think if you get too stiff, they can feel harsh for sure.

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

17 minutes ago, rxk9fan said:

There is very much a difference, but I have a hard time pinning down a clear preference.  

Long story short, quit the game for 20 years after compound fracturing both arms.  Catastrophic enough the Health System surgeons I work with sent me somewhere else for repair.  When I did come back to golf, I was 20 years older, had the typical left overs that happen when you go over a car at 60 mph from a motorcycle, and severe tendinitis...so I had to find graphite.  I have tried a bunch, building 8 sets and buying more in the last 2 years.  So, this is where I came from and for me this is what I have found.

The Recoil 110 F4 is amazing to me in that it fits so many different swings.  I am 61 years old and when I got on trackman last my driver SS was averaging 99.8.  I went with a 24 year old that works at the club and his driver ss was 107 - 108.  The fitter told him after he hit his irons that they were as optimal as he could hope to get (those were his gamers with Srixon Z945...a set I use to play).  Then when I hit them with my much slower swing speed, they performed great for me too.  Besides fitting a wide range of players, almost everyone loves their feel and finds them easy to load.  My only caveat with them is that with my swing and certain heads (like Titleist 716 CB's), they can produce a lot of spin.  

As for the SteelFiber, they for sure play stiffer to flex unless you go to the fc.  With the original SF (which I play), the stiff flex is too much for me to handle and the r is perfect.  I don't feel it load like the Recoil, and they do not have that super soft Recoil feel.  But, I feel they give me a little tighter dispersion, are easier to flight, and keep spin down a bit.  The last sentence is why I went SF with this set.

I think I did well as I have seen no ballooning but beautiful flight and plenty of green stopping ability.

Hope that helps a tiny bit and of course YMMV ?

PS: Some people find SF harsh where nobody says that about Recoils.  I just think if you get too stiff, they can feel harsh for sure.

Thanks. I play SF too because of tendinitis.  I have a 100 SS Witt driver, very similar to yours.  I play R SF hardstepped twice.  I have loved them the last 3 years with my 0311.  I have only really considered graphite moving forward.  Recoils seem to be the most available in fitting carts or as options with many clubs upgrades. That's for the feedback.  Didn't know they spun so much.  I will need to look at that for sure. I already get plenty of spin in my irons i don't want to lose any distance.  Thanks so much for your thoughts.   

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

12 hours ago, gwelfgulfer said:

Maybe he can do another 'Quest for the Open' again with all this new, betterer greaterer gearsz

Was that Rick  also doing that or just Peter Finch? Can’t remember. 

Callaway Paradym TD “S” 420cc 8.5 Project X Evenflow Riptide MX 60TX
Mizuno ST 230 Max 15.0 Mitsubishi Rayon Kai’Li Blue 70X

Callaway OG Apex UW 21.0 Mizuno MmT 80X

ON ORDER: Mizuno Pro 243 5-GW Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno T24 56/12S & 58/4X Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Rife Phenom.Z 34”

No update...rained out!! Talk about frustration!!!

WITB

Ping G430 Max 9.0 degree Diamana ZF 60 Stiff

Ping G430 Max 3 wood 15 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Ping G430 Max 5 wood 18 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Mizuno Pro 243  4 - G Modus 120 Stiff

Titleist Vokey SM9  56-14F, 60-10S

Scotty Cameron Super Select Del Mar

Titleist Pro V1 / Pro V1X

I can update...I sucked today!!!

Could not have hit the hole with a 5 foot funnel.  That is frustrating!!!

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

On 8/29/2020 at 11:27 AM, texcrom said:

Look what showed up today!! First test at 7:40 am tomorrow morning!!

Anyone else get theirs yet?

Wow, nice!  This gives me hope that I'll see mine this week - I ordered them on 8/15 but with custom shaft/grip - I'll be staying tuned for your review in the mean time.  Thanks for sharing the pics and I hope you're able to get a round in with them soon.

Edited by keith723

TM Qi10 LS 8.25°, Ventus Black 6X, tipped 1”, 44.75” 

TM BRNR Mini Driver at 12° (HWF), HZRDUS Black RDX 70 TX, tipped 1", 43.75"

TM Stealth+ 5w at 18.25°, HZRDUS Black RDX 80 6.5, tipped 1”, 42.5”

2023 Titleist T100 (4-GW), PX 6.0, +1/4”

Vokey SM10 54.12(D), 60.08(M), PX 6.0, +1/4"

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2, 360g, 35"

On 8/31/2020 at 5:26 PM, BiggErn said:

yep GO VOLS!  Nice sticks btw

AF2054DA-CC47-4B7C-86A7-1ECBE08BAA15.jpeg

You too! Great putter cover!

• Like 1