Jump to content

FedEx Final 30 Format


Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, disco111 said:

 

They did have the playoffs correct to begin with. The number 1 points player going into East Lake got a 2 million bonus for being #1 and then the actual tournament was scratch for everyone. Why they changed it and why some feel it's great to have a professional hdcp tournament is beyond me. For me personally, the finish at the BMW between DJ and Rahm was the highlight of the season FedEx wise. Next week will be a farse, compared to what we just watched.

 

For me, the entire playoffs premise is nonsensical. Forced and faked drama which serves as little more than advertising for FedEx and a chance to put money in the pockets of the guys, who in the main, drive the sponsorship dollars that the Tour receives. Scrapping the entire thing would be fine with me. My view is that the current format is the best they have come up with so far but it’s like comparing a punch in the face to a kick in the face, neither are good.

  • Like 3

Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Diamana D+
Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black 
Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
Titleist T100 4-PW Stiff Project X LZ
Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08 & 54.10
Titlesist Vokey SM7 60.04
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1x 2019

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Everyone starts at even, but   1-10 get the typical caddie set-up.  11-20 get a pullcart, no caddie 21-30 carry their own staff bag, no caddie.    Let the Atlanta heat so

Except DJ       ?   Sorry sorry, couldn’t resist.

I hate it. Haven’t and won’t watch with that format. 

14 hours ago, Shilgy said:

I read a proposed playoff system lately....the writer proposed a 3 week event  starting with the top 125 and eliminating the 8 worst total scores every day with the preplayoff top 10 guaranteed the 3 events.

Article is better than my description...

 

https://golf.com/news/cutthroat-format-fedex-cup-playoffs-bamberger/

Well this certainly sounds better than what they have now. Does anyone think Billy Horschel has a chance against Dustin Johnson starting ten shots back? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, bladehunter said:

That’s not a bad idea. 4 weeks cumulative score.     I could go for that.  

Now that it is only three tournaments, I would like to see cumulative scoring for the Tour Championship. Keep the qualifying format the same, but for the top 30 who make it, take their scores for the prior two tournaments, make a leaderboard, and then start the Tour Championship with the same stroke leads. They would have to figure out if someone qualified while missing a cut in one of the prior two, how to adjust that person's score, but that shouldn't be hard to figure out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/30/2020 at 11:55 AM, MattyO1984 said:

I don’t mind it, if it is supposed to be the proper conclusion to a playoffs then I am not sure how else they are supposed to do it. There has to be some kind of reward or advantage for the guys who have performed best before now, otherwise the whole season before East Lake becomes somewhat pointless.

Isn't the reward money, titles, exemptions, and continued tour membership? I don't think there were any players complaining that those mentioned rewards weren't sufficient. To me it's another example in a long line of examples of a company or organization coming up with a product first, then trying to force/create the demand after the fact. It's rarely received well. I think the drug industry is the only one that can sustain that business model for obvious reasons.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, tiderider said:

eh, there's no way to make it palatable for the golfing masses ... 

Which tells me the entire premise of a playoff is a horrible idea to begin with. 

 

edit: And I get why someone would like it because it's more golf. I personally would rather watch canned charity matches

Edited by OrangeGravy
additional info
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, OrangeGravy said:

Which tells me the entire premise of a playoff is a horrible idea to begin with. 

 

edit: And I get why someone would like it because it's more golf. I personally would rather watch canned charity matches

I'm just glad to see golfers finally getting paid instead of working a second job in the off season. Golf is slowly coming in line with the major sports.....Good for them. I like the playoffs. good idea to me....

Edited by Titleist99
Link to post
Share on other sites

The Playoff type system doesn't work well with golf.  You're trying to crown a season long champion but the state of a golfer's game changes so much from week to week, month to month.  So they came up with something to sell the public and try to cash in like other sports do.  I like this format more so than what they used to do.  At least now there's no confusion as to who won.  It was always weird when somebody won the Tournament and somebody else won the Championship.  That was a bad look.  They've created a scenario to make money.  I've always thought if they were going to do it, then either a match play format with byes for the top players, or just cut it down to 4 or 8 after the BMW and let them go at it in match play.   If you want to crown a champion, it should come from the years best players and not somebody who gets hot.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Titleist99 said:

I'm just glad to see golfers finally getting paid instead of working a second job in the off season. Golf is slowly coming in line with the major sports.....Good for them. I like the playoffs. good idea to me....

 I seriously doubt that tour players are working second jobs. Maybe the bottom rung of the Korn Ferry tour, but no one on the big tour. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/31/2020 at 4:28 AM, MattyO1984 said:

 

For me, the entire playoffs premise is nonsensical. Forced and faked drama which serves as little more than advertising for FedEx and a chance to put money in the pockets of the guys, who in the main, drive the sponsorship dollars that the Tour receives. Scrapping the entire thing would be fine with me. My view is that the current format is the best they have come up with so far but it’s like comparing a punch in the face to a kick in the face, neither are good.

Agree, playoffs are for team sports. And the irony here is the PGA Tour was trying to emulate the popularity of the NFL with a "playoff" and then had to move and re-format that "playoff" to avoid competing with the NFL....

 

I guess it's better than the alternative of having those "silly season" events but I'm just not really going to care a lot about who wins  it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, disco111 said:

 I seriously doubt that tour players are working second jobs. Maybe the bottom rung of the Korn Ferry tour, but no one on the big tour. 

Sorry that I didn't spell it out but I meant golfers of yester years....not todays golfers working second jobs. It was a reference to past golfers. I will try to be more specific in the future.

Edited by Titleist99
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think its dumb. Whatever system they use to get to the final 30 should be done after the BMW. Everyone that makes the final 30 should start at 0 and have an equal shot to win. Winner of the tournament wins it all, no handicapping, points formulas involved. So what if none of the top 10 win, its the nature of real playoffs.

  • Like 2

Ping G410 Plus 10.5°/Alta CB55 r flex
Ping G400 7w/Xcaliber FW r flex
Ping G400 4h/Xcaliber HY r flex
Ping G400 5h/Xcaliber HY r flex
Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex
Maltby TSW 54° and 58°/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex
Mizuno Bettinardi C06

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/31/2020 at 4:35 PM, DFS PFD said:

All because FEDEX doesn't want two separate trophy ceremony's to take from their air time...

 

Agreed! It is farcical that the the event continues to be called the Tour Championship. With the change last year, they really should have just made it the FedEx Cup finals and settled it.

  • Like 2

Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Diamana D+
Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black 
Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
Titleist T100 4-PW Stiff Project X LZ
Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08 & 54.10
Titlesist Vokey SM7 60.04
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1x 2019

Link to post
Share on other sites

Remember in 2019 Rory starts 5 back from JT and finishes 5 shots ahead. So a 10 shot lead can be made up as evidence by last year. Going into a tournament with a lead may have some added pressure...

 

Patrick Cantlay starts 2nd and finishes outside the top 20. 

Chez Reavie starts 25 and finishes 8. 

 

As convoluted as it seems the math works out that you can still significantly change your position in the final event but you're still rewarded for good play throughout the year/playoffs.   

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand what they are trying to do but I don't like "handicapping" it this way.  They are trying to reward players for a full season's worth of performance.  A fairer way to apply that preference would be seeding in a match play format but as most of us know from playing or watching match play events a lower seeded player very often upsets the higher seeded.

 

I don't know the answer to be honest.  Maybe they should give strokes based upon winning tournaments.  You win a tournament you start the Tour Championship -2.  You win two you start -4.  You are runner-up that gets you -1.  A runner-up and a win is -3.   You get a headstart on the field and there is a premium on placing high in the tournaments.  But you don't start at -10.

 

Were there any winners of tournaments that did not make the top 30?

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, smashdn said:

Were there any winners of tournaments that did not make the top 30?

 

Tiger, Adam Scott, Richey Werenski, Tyler Duncan, Nick Taylor, Michael Thompson, Jim Herman, Andrew Landry.

10 players that did not win an event are in the top 30.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, grm24 said:

 

Tiger, Adam Scott, Richey Werenski, Tyler Duncan, Nick Taylor, Michael Thompson, Jim Herman, Andrew Landry.

10 players that did not win an event are in the top 30.

 

See, that kind of bothers me.  I get there is the Tournament of Champions but I feel like the Tour needs to be emphasizing and putting a premium on winning golf tournaments.  Perhaps the Tour Championship can do both by expanding qualification to top 30 and those with wins in the season. That way you reward winning and consistent play throughout the season.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, smashdn said:

 

See, that kind of bothers me.  I get there is the Tournament of Champions but I feel like the Tour needs to be emphasizing and putting a premium on winning golf tournaments.  Perhaps the Tour Championship can do both by expanding qualification to top 30 and those with wins in the season. That way you reward winning and consistent play throughout the season.

 

Wait until the TOC to start 2021. The TOC will include all players that made the 2020 Tour Championship. So the 2021 TOC will have players in it that did not win an event during the 2020 portion of the PGA Tour schedule.

 

https://www.pgatour.com/news/2020/04/30/eligibility-adjustments-made-for-2020-21-pga-tour-season.html

 

Will there be a change to the 2021 Sentry Tournament of Champions eligibility?

Winners from the 2020 calendar year and the top 30 players from the FedExCup Playoff Points List who qualified for the 2020 TOUR Championship will be eligible for the 2021 Sentry Tournament of Champions.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, grm24 said:

 

Tiger, Adam Scott, Richey Werenski, Tyler Duncan, Nick Taylor, Michael Thompson, Jim Herman, Andrew Landry.

10 players that did not win an event are in the top 30.

 

Edit: read that wrong. 

Edited by bubbagump

G400 LST    TS Speeder 7.2

SLDR MINI  TS Speeder 7.2

MP-18 Fli Hi

JPX 900 Forged

RTX-3 CB

Toulon Atlanta
 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm in the boat that doesn't mind this format. Contrary to a couple of other comments, I think this format sets up an even better chance for an underdog story than without the head start for the leaders. I think it would be awesome if one of the guys with no strokes played crazy well and was able to win the tournament.

 

However, I also think there are probably better ways to handle the end of the season than the FedEx cup. Why not just reward the players who performed best all season long with the cumulative winnings, similar to how they used to do it (i.e., $2MM to the overall points leader).

 

Then FedEx could host a high $$$ payout event to end the season. Have the purse be something crazy like $25MM so the winner takes home a huge check. Anybody could win, and all the top players would likely be playing. Open it up to ~150 players. I think it would be a fun way to close out the season and would have a lot of additional pressure on the guys since so much money is on the line.

  • Like 1

Taylormade SIM 9* (@ 7.5*), Hzrdus Smoke Black 75X

Taylormade SIM Max 15*, Hzrdus Smoke Black 85X

Ping G25 17*, Ping TFC 189H Tour X-flex

Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW, DG X100

Cleveland RTX3 50, 54, 60, DG X100

SC Newport 2 Select, UST Mamiya FF Composite Shaft

Srixon Z-Star XV

Link to post
Share on other sites

Then FedEx could host a high $$$ payout event to end the season. Have the purse be something crazy like $25MM so the winner takes home a huge check. Anybody could win, and all the top players would likely be playing. Open it up to ~150 players. I think it would be a fun way to close out the season and would have a lot of additional pressure on the guys since so much money is on the line.

 

I like this idea.............that type of money could even keep Phil from playing the senior tour........?

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, evolvingwildes said:

I'm in the boat that doesn't mind this format. Contrary to a couple of other comments, I think this format sets up an even better chance for an underdog story than without the head start for the leaders. I think it would be awesome if one of the guys with no strokes played crazy well and was able to win the tournament.

 

However, I also think there are probably better ways to handle the end of the season than the FedEx cup. Why not just reward the players who performed best all season long with the cumulative winnings, similar to how they used to do it (i.e., $2MM to the overall points leader).

 

Then FedEx could host a high $$$ payout event to end the season. Have the purse be something crazy like $25MM so the winner takes home a huge check. Anybody could win, and all the top players would likely be playing. Open it up to ~150 players. I think it would be a fun way to close out the season and would have a lot of additional pressure on the guys since so much money is on the line.

 

3 hours ago, disco111 said:

Then FedEx could host a high $$$ payout event to end the season. Have the purse be something crazy like $25MM so the winner takes home a huge check. Anybody could win, and all the top players would likely be playing. Open it up to ~150 players. I think it would be a fun way to close out the season and would have a lot of additional pressure on the guys since so much money is on the line.

 

I like this idea.............that type of money could even keep Phil from playing the senior tour........?

Fedex aren't going to spend $25million for one week of headlines. They want their name mentioned many times during the telecast of every tournament during the whole year. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/29/2020 at 2:28 PM, disco111 said:

Opinions about the format............do you agree that the top points players should already be given strokes or should everybody play scratch like a normal event. I'd hate to be one of the guys in 24th to 30th and giving 10 strokes to DJ...........

I thought the new way the Tour set up the starting positions was reflective of the way almost every other Tour Championship would have worked out in the past had they been set up the current way. It’s just easier to see what you need to do to win now.

Edited by Holy Moses

Ping G30 LS Tec 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G400 Crossover 19* (Tensei CK Pro Blue 80S)
Ping i20 3-UW (PXi 6.0, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, freowho said:

 

Fedex aren't going to spend $25million for one week of headlines. They want their name mentioned many times during the telecast of every tournament during the whole year. 

Their spending a lot more than 25 mil and their name is and will be on every telecast during the whole year. That's just how they roll and what's even better, you'll even get the chance to pay more when you ship something..................

 

The Tour Championship feels very separate from the rest of the FedEx Cup Playoffs, and in some ways it is. The amount of money at stake -- $45 million split between 30 golfers -- dwarfs all the other prize pools in all of golf, and while winning that trophy is prestigious, winning the $15 million that comes with it can be life-changing for several golfers in this field.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, disco111 said:

Their spending a lot more than 25 mil and their name is and will be on every telecast during the whole year. That's just how they roll and what's even better, you'll even get the chance to pay more when you ship something..................

 

The Tour Championship feels very separate from the rest of the FedEx Cup Playoffs, and in some ways it is. The amount of money at stake -- $45 million split between 30 golfers -- dwarfs all the other prize pools in all of golf, and while winning that trophy is prestigious, winning the $15 million that comes with it can be life-changing for several golfers in this field.

Maybe I misunderstood your post. I thought your were suggesting they get rid of the season "race" and just have a big tournament?

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Holy Moses said:

I thought the new way the Tour set up the starting positions was reflective of the way almost every other Tour Championship would have worked out in the past had they been set up the current way. It’s just easier to see what you need to do to win now.

Not really, prior it was points accumulated that determined the FedEx champ and players still had the chance to win the East Lake tournament. Under this new format, those that are not in the top 10 have a more than difficult chance on winning the tournament, when they have to spot their peers strokes. I would'nt want to start 10/8 strokes behind DJ or Rahm and think, I've got a chance at winning. Remember the year that Rose won by points and Tiger won the tournament. Everybody started the tournament even stroke wise, but this format puts too many players way behind the power curve...............Just my opinion and I see where others like this set up, I just don't see the plus to any of it.......  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no issues with it and completely understand why they do it this way.

 

Remember a couple years ago where Tiger won the event but Rose won the fedex cup. That was foolish and they want to avoid that happening again.

 

The points leader deserves some kind of advantage, just like the better seeds get home field in other sports. 

 

I think this year is a bigger problem for folks because DJ is on a rampage

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...