FedEx Final 30 Format

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Everyone starts at even, but   1-10 get the typical caddie set-up.  11-20 get a pullcart, no caddie 21-30 carry their own staff bag, no caddie.    Let the Atlanta heat so

Except DJ       ?   Sorry sorry, couldn’t resist.

I hate it. Haven’t and won’t watch with that format. 

27 minutes ago, mizunoMP14 said:

They should just take the top 32, seed them 1-32 and then match play. Match play winner is tour championship winner and fedex cup winner. 

Hate the current format and would much prefer match play to determine the winner. Feels more like a playoff vs. chase the leader. 

Callaway Epic Flash TD - Graphite Design VR Callaway Epic SZ 15* Callaway Apex 20* Bridgestone J15cb - 4-PW Vokey SM7 - 52* & 58* Spider X

12 hours ago, disco111 said:

I stand corrected, but it's highly improbable that from 25 to 30 has a chance to win it. For all those that like the format, more power to you. For me, well you know how I look at it and it's really not worth any further discussion.

The five that are are 21-25 are only one stroke better. Impossible for them as well? And so on up the list. 
The PGA tour has accomplished their goals. One, to get folks interested in late season play and talking pro golf. Check. Two, rewarding the play during the “regular season” by incorporating performance based advantages in the playoffs. 
No, they are not true playoffs as referred to in other sports. Everyone does not have an equal chance. But then of course we also have that in football even though the scoreboard does not reflect it. In the NFL it is assumed that home field is worth approximately 3 points. Should the visitors be up 3 to start to make it fair? 
Stop thinking of the Tour Championship finale this week as an individual tournament. That is where folks are getting confused and upset about a winner not being the winner because he started too far back and thinking it’s unfair. The event this week is the culmination of a year long race. And it has a staggered start to favor those that performed best to this point.

WITB
Tools for the job!

If we are being honest, playoff systems in any other sport don't make sense if the goal is to crown a "season long champion."  Your reward is to get a chance to play for the championship.  That could be the 30th best or the AFC Wild Card team or the 64 seed.

I'm a big fan of having the one playoff event with the top 125 and cutting it to the top 64 after that event.  Rank them and then do bracketed match play. 

I am not here to pitch a new idea as I am not sure there is a correct answer. If it is a season long race, I feel the players that play the best should have some type of advantage. As weird as the two winners was, still may be the best way to have a winner of the tournament but have a season long winner. However the constant updates were difficult to watch. 

But to those who want a cumulative score and complaining that DJ has a 10 shot lead going into this tournament. He won by 11 and shot -30 three weeks ago. He'd be headed into the tour championship with a 14 shot lead over Rahm.

DJ -34

Rahm -20

Webb (did not play last week but -16 at Northern Trust)

Berger, Hideki, Scottie -12

Munoz, Kis, English, Hughes -11

JT would be -1

Rory +1

Collin +6

Bryson +10

I'm sure that would be a super fun tournament to watch. 

1 hour ago, stanger37 said:

I am not here to pitch a new idea as I am not sure there is a correct answer. If it is a season long race, I feel the players that play the best should have some type of advantage. As weird as the two winners was, still may be the best way to have a winner of the tournament but have a season long winner. However the constant updates were difficult to watch. 

But to those who want a cumulative score and complaining that DJ has a 10 shot lead going into this tournament. He won by 11 and shot -30 three weeks ago. He'd be headed into the tour championship with a 14 shot lead over Rahm.

DJ -34

Rahm -20

JT would be -1

Rory +1

Collin +6

Bryson +10

Agreed, and thank you for doing that work for us.

This format isn't perfect, but.... neither are any of the others.  

Match play (as previously stated) has way too much risk of a good golfer getting knocked out by a fluke and the final being between two (relative) no-names.

Like others, I also think golf just isn't suited to a playoffs.  However... despite that the Fedex Cup has usually had a pretty entertaining finish and usually produces a deserving winner.  Horschel and Haas were outliers, but you get those in other playoffs too.

1 hour ago, stanger37 said:

DJ -34

Rahm -20

JT would be -1

Rory +1

Collin +6

Bryson +10

I’d prefer that.  I for one live to see dominance.  I love to see something at its peak.  That and underdog winning.  Either extreme. But parity I hate !  What he have today is the words top net  event.  I guess we can watch and see if the low handicappers can  Chase down the guys getting shots !   ( and yes I realize that the same guy is leading this format too ).  

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red 6x 

TM RBZ 14* Addi 8x 

Ping g410 17.5* synergy blue 70TX 

Miura MC-501 3-Pw modus 130x 

Artisan 53 59 modus 130s 

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

It's fine with me, but shouldn't count as a PGA victory...but that's for the players to discuss...why do I, as a fan, really care?

As for staggered start, plenty of players can come back from a big deficit...see Jon Rahm last week!  Yeah, it's a disadvantage, but then you should have played better earlier to not be in that position.

Don't car racers get penalized every week with their different starting positions...being in the 15th row vs pole postion has to be a huge disadvantage, but they still race anyway.  Please be easy on me...I know almost nothing about car racing!

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, manku said:

It's fine with me, but shouldn't count as a PGA victory...but that's for the players to discuss...why do I, as a fan, really care?

As for staggered start, plenty of players can come back from a big deficit...see Jon Rahm last week!  Yeah, it's a disadvantage, but then you should have played better earlier to not be in that position.

Don't car racers get penalized every week with their different starting positions...being in the 15th row vs pole postion has to be a huge disadvantage, but they still race anyway.  Please be easy on me...I know almost nothing about car racing!

Actually the racing analogy isn't a bad one. In racing if you qualify poorly you could start 5-10 seconds back of the leader before the race even starts which is a major disadvantage. No different with how the tour championship is setup. 

28 minutes ago, Jc0 said:

Actually the racing analogy isn't a bad one. In racing if you qualify poorly you could start 5-10 seconds back of the leader before the race even starts which is a major disadvantage. No different with how the tour championship is setup. 

Of course you're right......Best analogy that I"ve heard so far but it doesn't matter because some seemed to be obsessed with match play (WHICH WILL NEVER HAPPEN) or somehow having all participants start even (WHICH NEVER HAPPENS IN COMPETIVE) sports playoffs where there is a bye, home field advantage or something else involved....

Edited by Titleist99

I tried to stay clear of this but I just can't help myself with those ?????? analogies.

Racing....yes, slower qualifiers start further back in a pack of some what 40 or more, but they all start at the same time and in the course of the race 200-500 miles there so many possibilities for crashes, car problems and so forth, which means the guy that started very last could possibly win if he's lucky. Your dealing with machines at high speed and somebody can get killed or injured seriously. Never seen that at a golf tournament..............So not really a good analogy, but a good try.

I agree that match play will or should never happen, but having participants start even (WHICH NEVER HAPPENS IN COMPETIVE) sports. Home field advantage is a myth, how many times has the home team lost? I'd suggest about 50% or more of the time. So a team gets a bye and that's because there are most likely an uneven number of teams participating, but it's only for one game. They don't start out x number of points ahead before the game even starts. Trying to compare other sports and their playoffs to golf just does not work. 

You want to see just how easy this can be rectified.............Keep the points totals and have that used as a bonus for year long productivity. Lets say the bonus pool is 20 million. That 20 million gets broken down in segments for where you place in the top 30 . Now the tournament can be played just like every other Major tournament with a full field,  everyone starting even, with the chance to win a wopping 15 million for winning. Ask yourself this, which would I rather have..........an Open, a Masters, a PGA, a Players? The FedEx is only a big payday, but it could be even better if it was all inclusive..........just my opinion   And as an addition, perhaps stage it at a different location, East Lake just does not seem that exciting.... 

2 hours ago, disco111 said:

I tried to stay clear of this but I just can't help myself with those ?????? analogies.

Racing....yes, slower qualifiers start further back in a pack of some what 40 or more, but they all start at the same time and in the course of the race 200-500 miles there so many possibilities for crashes, car problems and so forth, which means the guy that started very last could possibly win if he's lucky. Your dealing with machines at high speed and somebody can get killed or injured seriously. Never seen that at a golf tournament..............So not really a good analogy, but a good try.

I agree that match play will or should never happen, but having participants start even (WHICH NEVER HAPPENS IN COMPETIVE) sports. Home field advantage is a myth, how many times has the home team lost? I'd suggest about 50% or more of the time. So a team gets a bye and that's because there are most likely an uneven number of teams participating, but it's only for one game. They don't start out x number of points ahead before the game even starts. Trying to compare other sports and their playoffs to golf just does not work. 

You want to see just how easy this can be rectified.............Keep the points totals and have that used as a bonus for year long productivity. Lets say the bonus pool is 20 million. That 20 million gets broken down in segments for where you place in the top 30 . Now the tournament can be played just like every other Major tournament with a full field,  everyone starting even, with the chance to win a wopping 15 million for winning. Ask yourself this, which would I rather have..........an Open, a Masters, a PGA, a Players? The FedEx is only a big payday, but it could be even better if it was all inclusive..........just my opinion   And as an addition, perhaps stage it at a different location, East Lake just does not seem that exciting.... 

I'd be willing to bet that more golfers get killed by lightning than race car drivers on the track......but nice try...... To say that home field advantage don't exist is naive at best....just check your home vs the road record in basketball. ......Just ask the Vegas bookie if homefield advantage is a real thing.......Oh, by the way,  East lake is great.....just my opinion.

Manku stole my thunder - yes, the whole season is like an auto racing time trial for starting position.  DJ has won the pole position and starts with the advantage.  They key is to not think of this as a normal tournament.  As someone else mentioned, it should be thought of as the the 4th quarter of football game. (As such, I would not count it as an official victory.)  viewed in this light, the format makes prefect sense and is far superior to the old system where you needed an excel spreadsheet to figure out who was leading. 

What a joke. Why not have the bottom 30 start off with the highest score but keep the point system in play also. Let the biggest name work there way up as why should the rich get richer. Make it more challenging as come on America, can't we come up with a better format than this. No wonder why we can win the Ryder Cup as we can't even come up with a fair and even format. That would only make it more enjoyable as don't get me wrong. I love watch Rahm, Dustin, Thomas and Rory play but why would you give them the biggest advantage. Just Dumb and don't go and blame this decision on Covid-19 as I'm tired of all of the excuses 

14 hours ago, Titleist99 said:

I'd be willing to bet that more golfers get killed by lightning than race car drivers on the track......but nice try...... To say that home field advantage don't exist is naive at best....just check your home vs the road record in basketball. ......Just ask the Vegas bookie if homefield advantage is a real thing.......Oh, by the way,  East lake is great.....just my opinion.

As always your intitled to an opinion, but trying to advance lame anologies to fit  a viewpoint just does not make for rational discussion, but also nice try! 

Oh and while you state that more golfers get hit by lighting..........well more people get hit by cars when they jaywalk or walk on the highway. But were talking pro tour here and they are pulled off the course when lighting is within a certain distance and most courses (that I play) have a warning system to get folks off the course also. Now if you stay out and get hit, well there's no fixing stupid. Still trying to adapt "team" sports to golf is an excersise in futitility. Just the aspect of many players moving at the same time with speed and if one doesn't do their assignment correctly, they most likely don't succeed. Golf is one against himself.........not even remotely close to having any type of commonality to anything team or speed inclusive related. You want the homefield advantage to be true, if it makes you happy you can have it, but in golf, it's not a factor what so ever, so again, not a factor. 

Edited by disco111

I hate it. Handicapped events are for amateurs playing in a Saturday beer league. Nothing wrong with a Saturday beer league, played in one for years, just shouldn’t be in the pro game. 

I know the idea is to reward the person who is leading the fedex cup heading into the event. My idea would be (since winner now takes $15m instead of the previous $10m):

at the end of the last event before the tour championship, split the additional $5m among top 3.

1st place in fedex cup gets $2.5m

2nd place gets $1.5m

3rd place gets $500k

start the Tour Championship with a clean slate winner take all. Season long consistency allowed you to play in it, that is the reward. Who ever wins at that point gets the $10m fedex cup purse. 

Edited by bigred90gt
14 hours ago, msd71 said:

Manku stole my thunder - yes, the whole season is like an auto racing time trial for starting position.  DJ has won the pole position and starts with the advantage.  They key is to not think of this as a normal tournament.  As someone else mentioned, it should be thought of as the the 4th quarter of football game. (As such, I would not count it as an official victory.)  viewed in this light, the format makes prefect sense and is far superior to the old system where you needed an excel spreadsheet to figure out who was leading. 

If you’re gonna compare it to football, it would be more akin to the super bowl, not the 4th quarter. Both teams (all players in this case) start at zero and best team that day (player that week) wins. Your play through the season and in the playoff got you to the big game, you start from scratch and winner take all in the final game. You don’t handicap in favor of the team with the better season record. 

We have arguably the two best golfer on the planet in the lead, playing in the same group, for two days, and maybe all 4.  Plus JT and Xander are right behind them.

And people have a problem watching this?

Would you rather have Todd and Na leading?  

Next time some offers me a glass of 85 DRC, I'll turn them down for some Silver Joke.

9 hours ago, bigred90gt said:

I hate it. Handicapped events are for amateurs playing in a Saturday beer league. Nothing wrong with a Saturday beer league, played in one for years, just shouldn’t be in the pro game. 

I know the idea is to reward the person who is leading the fedex cup heading into the event. My idea would be (since winner now takes $15m instead of the previous $10m):

at the end of the last event before the tour championship, split the additional $5m among top 3.

1st place in fedex cup gets $2.5m

2nd place gets $1.5m

3rd place gets $500k

start the Tour Championship with a clean slate winner take all. Season long consistency allowed you to play in it, that is the reward. Who ever wins at that point gets the $10m fedex cup purse. 

Are you keeping the other half mil? $5m split 3 ways...$2.5 +$1.5 +$0.5 is only $4.5m. ?

WITB
Tools for the job!

2 hours ago, Shilgy said:

Are you keeping the other half mil? $5m split 3 ways...$2.5 +$1.5 +$0.5 is only $4.5m. ?

Yeah, we’ll good thing I’m not a mathematician, lol. 

so make it $2.5m, $1.5m and $1m. I don’t care. Maybe split the other $500k amongst the other 27 that made. 

if anyone is offering though, I’ll happily take the other $500k

Edited by bigred90gt
  • Like 1

They have tried to make the Tour Championship into something special with what they call a playoff, but it hasn't really worked because golf is not that type of sport.  If you look at the thread on this forum for the Tour Championship it's currently on page 3.  We've had US Open threads in this forum get to over 100 pages.  It just doesn't generate the buzz of a Major Championship.  In golf, to the fans, it's not about the money they make... it's about the tradition and heritage of the game.  Sure the players love the money and it's a really important event for them because of the perks of making it to the top 30.  But for the fans, it's kind of just another event with a curious format.  This event means more to the players than it does the fans but that doesn't make it must see golf.  I'm not sure that it's something that can be manufactured because they've sure tried with this event and the Players Championship.  The Ryder Cup was a nothing event into the 80's and then it morphed into this huge event.  I don't see this event morphing that way and I don't think it's because of the format.  The golf fans just aren't seeing it as such and I don't know what could change it.  But it's not going to be huge sums of money alone. 

It's just a golf tournament for me, the biggest difference between this and any other tournament is that it finishes on a Monday instead of a Sunday. Other than that there's a bunch of golfers playing 18 holes a day for four days and whoever has the lowest score wins.

And the size of the field, doesn't matter whether it's 175 or 30, the broadcaster is only ever going to show the leaders, and Tiger of course. 

I'll probably fall asleep before the end anyway.

Srixon Z785 9.5 Hzrdus stiff

Srixon Z H85 16* Hzrdus stiff

Ping Karsten 22* Hybrid

Srixon Z U85 4i Recoil stiff

Srixon Z785 5-PW Modus 3 120 stiff
Srixon Z765 51* Modus stiff
Srixon Z765 57* Modus stiff
Cleveland RTX 3 62* TTDG
Nike Method Midnight 006

14 minutes ago, nichho said:

It's just a golf tournament for me, the biggest difference between this and any other tournament is that it finishes on a Monday instead of a Sunday. Other than that there's a bunch of golfers playing 18 holes a day for four days and whoever has the lowest score wins.

And the size of the field, doesn't matter whether it's 175 or 30, the broadcaster is only ever going to show the leaders, and Tiger of course. 

I'll probably fall asleep before the end anyway.

Preach......LOL!

56 minutes ago, Titleist99 said:

Preach......LOL!

Very late at night here. Bottle of red wine and DJ currently running away with it. Bound to fall asleep.

Srixon Z785 9.5 Hzrdus stiff

Srixon Z H85 16* Hzrdus stiff

Ping Karsten 22* Hybrid

Srixon Z U85 4i Recoil stiff

Srixon Z785 5-PW Modus 3 120 stiff
Srixon Z765 51* Modus stiff
Srixon Z765 57* Modus stiff
Cleveland RTX 3 62* TTDG
Nike Method Midnight 006