I'm never, ever going to . . .

Soloman1

1 hour ago, Myherobobhope said:

As a serial breaker of the tucked in policy... I rarely tuck in my shirt on a day to day basis... My shirts habitually come untucked, so I just don't really bother... I usually remember to tuck in my shirt, but I forget on occasion.

I think it's a silly requirement to have it tucked in, but I joined and knew the rules... but when you see things like the e-mail I pasted above... I think that's a little silly. I don't think we are going to not have people join because my shirt is untucked. 

That email certainly paints and image of your club that is not very positive ? and should have been worded very differently.

All things being equal (which they only are in hypothetical arguments), I would be more likely to join a club with a strong dress code that is enforced rather than one with a lax dress code. It is not among the key requirements I have for a club, but it would play into my decision making. I use the club for a certain amount of business and the way the members dress and act is part of the way the club presents itself. 

At the current point in time, I walk whenever I can, but I do use a push cart.  I have never been of the opinion that I had to play from the tips, I prefer to play most of my rounds as far forward as my playing partners will go.  

Dress codes, yeah, they can go by the wayside as far as I am concerned.  My favorite thing to play golf in is basketball shorts and a tech tee.  Just allows better movement with no pressure points in the clothing.  I absolutely hate belts, but they are necessary when wearing true golf slacks or shorts.  Loose fitting polo's are fine for the most part, but look bad (to me) when wearing with basketball shorts.  And if I do have to wear the whole getup, I am definitely a no tuck guy.  Shirt is going to come untucked from swinging anyway, might as well start it like that, lol.  

But to add my own.

I'm never, ever going to take my driver out of my bag again.  I love hitting this club way too much!

In the bag

Driver: Taylormade Sim2 Max 9*

4w: Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero

Hybrid:  Apex 19 3h 20*

Hybrid:  Apex 19 4h 23*

Irons: Callaway Apex CF 19 5i-AW

W1: Vokey SM7 54* S

W2: Vokey SM8 60* L

Putter: Swag Handsome Too

51 minutes ago, 2bGood said:

That email certainly paints and image of your club that is not very positive ? and should have been worded very differently.

All things being equal (which they only are in hypothetical arguments), I would be more likely to join a club with a strong dress code that is enforced rather than one with a lax dress code. It is not among the key requirements I have for a club, but it would play into my decision making. I use the club for a certain amount of business and the way the members dress and act is part of the way the club presents itself. 

What's funny is my club is actually SUPER friendly. Most of the members are all down to earth, I've joined up with groups randomly and ended up getting invited back to play with them more... It's a good environment overall. 

Our club president just likes to send tone deaf e-mails on occassion.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

4 hours ago, Myherobobhope said:

What's funny is my club is actually SUPER friendly. Most of the members are all down to earth, I've joined up with groups randomly and ended up getting invited back to play with them more... It's a good environment overall. 

Our club president just likes to send tone deaf e-mails on occassion.

Sorry, my response maybe did not read the way it was intended. Even if your golf course was filled with a bunch buffoons, his email was stupid and poorly handled. 

Finding the balance of the right culture for the club is an interesting thing. 

14 hours ago, Soloman1 said:

"... but even courses that say you have to tuck have never said anything to me."

I've never heard of a golf course mandating people have to tuck in their shirts. I'm not saying it doesn't exist, I have just never seen or heard of one.

In Michigan there is a radio personality that has a Saturday morning golf show (Jeff Lesson).   He negotiates discount golf at some elite, even private courses.    I've played several and a few of those have stopped one of our group (same guy all the time) and reminded him to tuck in his shirt.   Each time it was near the club house.   

If I saw this guy at the course I would not think he is so sloppy with his untucked,no collar shirt.

https://www.amazon.com/Three-Sixty-Six-Golf-Shirts/dp/B07NZCPZ8Y/

Also, I only play public courses and MOST of them say collared shirt and tuck required on their rule list. Ive just never had it enforced on me. I can only imagine that private may want to step it up a notch. 

18 minutes ago, wkndhckr said:

If I saw this guy at the course I would not think he is so sloppy with his untucked,no collar shirt.

https://www.amazon.com/Three-Sixty-Six-Golf-Shirts/dp/B07NZCPZ8Y/

Also, I only play public courses and MOST of them say collared shirt and tuck required on their rule list. Ive just never had it enforced on me. I can only imagine that private may want to step it up a notch. 

That's a nice looking shirt!

20 hours ago, Soloman1 said:

I really don't have any qualms with private clubs making any rules they wish. I don't think too many public courses have that privilege though. Well, at least in the west.

Having endured playing golf in Japan for over 25 years, I bristle a little now about rules for public courses.

Many public courses in the Tokyo area expected you to wear a sport jacket and leather shoes when checking in to play. It could be 95F and 95% humidity, but you needed that bloody jacket to get in the door. Sigh...

Not sure about the Tokyo area, but the courses around me in North Kyushu have relaxed the rules. The posh courses here still have pretty strict dress rules, but the jacket/blazer in the clubhouse rule is relaxed between June and September. However the daft thing is, even in the other months, most people just go into the clubhouse to check in then change, so they're only wearing the jacket for 5 minutes. 

One local high-end course near me had a rule up until a year or two ago that in the summer months jackets did not have to be worn in the summer months in the clubhouse, but could be carried over an arm. How daft is that? They've since removed that rule, and now jackets are not necessary in summer. The same course does insist on tucked-in shirts though. A couple of years back, the manager came and told me off for having the back of my shirt out. I had just come back from the practice area and was waiting to tee off; I had no idea my shirt was hanging out. 

One rule the posh courses have that makes me smile is the "no gaudy clothes" rule. Koga (which hosted last year's Japan Open) and The Classic (which is hosting this year's Japan Ladies' Open) both have this in place. I guess they really hate the Loudmouth brand.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 2bGood said:

Sorry, my response maybe did not read the way it was intended. Even if your golf course was filled with a bunch buffoons, his email was stupid and poorly handled. 

Finding the balance of the right culture for the club is an interesting thing. 

We might have crossed wires a bit! I was trying to say my club culture is mostly good, we just have a president who sends dumb, poorly worded e-mails. 

Honestly, I think the biggest problem with clubs is the people who end up on the boards usually have not business being there... If your board isn't there begrudgingly, you are likely in trouble (in my experience).

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

44 minutes ago, Myherobobhope said:

We might have crossed wires a bit! I was trying to say my club culture is mostly good, we just have a president who sends dumb, poorly worded e-mails. 

Honestly, I think the biggest problem with clubs is the people who end up on the boards usually have not business being there... If your board isn't there begrudgingly, you are likely in trouble (in my experience).

Got it.

1 hour ago, Myherobobhope said:

So you're suggesting that people who WANT to serve the club and participate, as say an officer or committeeman, are the worst ones for your club ?

That's an interesting take.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

39 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

So you're suggesting that people who WANT to serve the club and participate, as say an officer or committeeman, are the worst ones for your club ?

That's an interesting take.

I see it like an HOA, some are good with good people, a lot of others the people on the board tend to be the power hungry type with no common sense.

Sorry my lawn isn't 3" a hurricane came in and have not had power in a week. (true story via 2018)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Warrior42111 said:

I see it like an HOA, some are good with good people, a lot of others the people on the board tend to be the power hungry type with no common sense.

Understood, and agreed. It has nothing to do with whether they WANT to serve or not. :classic_cool:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

1 minute ago, nsxguy said:

Understood, and agreed. It has nothing to do with whether they WANT to serve or not. :classic_cool:

My point was more, the best people on a Country Club board are those who want to make sure the club operates smoothly, but see the job more as a burden than an opportunity.

It's always an interesting dynamic... My mom was on the board of another club. She wanted to SHAKE THINGS UP... and by that I mean she got the women's locker room remodeled and once she got what she thought was necessary done, she stopped being on the board... Hell, I ran for city council of my small town (and lost badly) because I felt it was best for the city... I am thankful I lost, but would have put in the work had I won. 

Anyone excited to be on a board of a country club scares me... It's a thankless job and someone is always going to be mad at you. 

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

Yeah, it's kind of like jurors.

Board members, politicians and jurors should be people who have their arm twisted to participate because people respect their judgement.

There's that old joke about having your fate decided by 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

• Like 1

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

2 minutes ago, Soloman1 said:

Yeah, it's kind of like jurors.

Board members, politicians and jurors should be people who have their arm twisted to participate because people respect their judgement.

There's that old joke about having your fate decided by 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

As a side story... my wife is a lawyer... She gets called in for jury duty... It's a trial involving an accident on a construction site, she practices construction law... The plaintiff's attorney happens to be the boss of one of my groomsmen, who we both went to college with... My wife basically says "Look, it's my job to be unbiased, but I'm telling you now that I know this stuff better than you and the contractor who was injured are the people I represent on a daily basis"... The defendants attorney TELLS her, "I'm going to change your mind" and doesn't strike her... 

She ended up the foreman of the jury... She remained unbiased, but the plaintiff won. 

Honestly, I'm painting country club boards with a broad brush... Probably 80% of members are fine and just trying to do what they think is best for the club. That 20% can be a real headache.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58