2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Pros...blades for irons, but lots of mallets for putters! Hmmm

2717B

I find it interesting that the majority of pros play blade like irons (less forgiving, smaller sweet spot...more workable etc. etc.), but over the last few years it seems that a pretty high percentage of pros have switched to mallet like putters (more forgiving, bigger sweet spot, higher MOI etc. etc.). 

Edited by 2717B

3 minutes ago, 2717B said:

I find it interesting that the majority of pros play blade like irons (less forgiving, smaller sweet spot...more workable etc. etc.), but over the last few years it seems that a pretty high percentage of pros have switched to mallet like putters (more forgiving, bigger sweet spot, higher MOI etc. etc.). 

Do the pros actually play blades more than cavities? What are the numbers?

Blades when struck well are the most predictable in terms of carry consistency and workability. 

PING G425 MAX W/ TENSEI AV RAW ORANGE X

TITLEIST TSR2 5 WOOD W/ TENSEI 1K BLACK X

TITLEIST TSR2 4 HYBRID W/ TENSEI 1K BLACK X

MIZUNO 223 5-P W/ DG 120 X100

MIZUNO T22 50-56-60 W/ DG S400

SCOTTY CAMERON PHANTOM X7

I wonder if sponsorship plays a big role in all the mallets.

A pro is probably not going to play his best with big chunky irons that sell to the masses.

there is a much smaller difference between a big putter vs a small putter than there is between a SGI and a blade (or a small forged cavity) 

Edited by COL_B

Titleist TSR3 9* (+1, neutral), Ventus Red TR 6X

Callaway X2Hot pro 3Deep 14* with Aldila Tour Green 75 S

Titleist T200 3i and 4i, Project X LZ 6.0

Titleist T100 (2020) 5-PW, Project X Precision 6.0

PXG Sugar Daddy 50, 54, 58

Taylor Made Spider

Pro's and blades are a given.

Mallet putters are just a current trend.  5 years from now, it just as easily could be blades and anser style putters.  But Pro's know where the money is made.  On the green.

• Like 1

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

35 minutes ago, Jeremy8810 said:

This is the correct answer. Thinking of getting a putter fitting for next season and a toe hang mallet will be on the list.

Props to Odyssey and TM the last few years for putting slant necks and flow necks on their mallets

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10* | Fujikura Ventus Black 6S

Titleist TSR2 15* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7S

Callaway UW 19* | Graphite Design Tour AD MJ 8X

Titleist T350 4I | True Temper AMT Red S300

Titleist T200 5-GW | Project X IO 6.0 

Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore 54* Mid | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Callaway RTX6 Zipcore Raw 60* Low | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 | BGT Stability Carbon

Srixon Z Star Diamond

There's absolutely no downsides to a forgiving design on a putter whereas there's a performance tradeoff between a blade and a chunky, forgiving GI type iron when you're a pro looking for consistent ball speeds and spin control on good shots. They don't want "flier" shots or reduced spin on irons and that's what dictates their choice of clubs. For a putter, they want what they can get a good roll with and align properly and if that's a mallet, it's a mallet.

• Like 2

Driver: Ping G425 LST 9º (at 8º) Accra TZ5 65 M5

3 Wood: Taylormade SIM Ti 15º Accra TZ5 75 M5

3i/4i: Srixon Z785 Nippon Modus 120X (4i 1º weak)

5i-PW: Srixon Z-Forged Modus 120X

50º/54º/60º: Cleveland RTX 4 (Mid Bounce) Modus 120X (50º/54º) & DG TI S400 (60º)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Squareback 2 (33.75", 70º lie, 2.5º loft)

6 hours ago, 2717B said:

I Play a mallet and its not because of forgiveness, but more about lining up your putt. Mallets give more real estate for alignment aids such as 2 ball, triple track, etc. 

• Like 4

A few things. I dont think as many players are playing blades as we think. I think most are playing a small players cavity back which is a step above blades. I play the mp 20 mmc a step above the mp 20 blades and they are very forgiving very workable and very precise. I think most pros realise this and play these types now. Example is brooks koepka playing 919 jpx tours... also i think mallets are here to stay for pros. The reason being... has anyone noticed how soft they tap most putts? I think it gives them the perfect amount of power on those rocket fast greens. Vice versa i had a spider x and while i think it is a great putter it was a nightmare after a few rounds for me... everything was blasted by the hole... switched to a 2018 scotty blade and its night and day.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, iNeedMoreGolf said:

A few things. I dont think as many players are playing blades as we think. I think most are playing a small players cavity back which is a step above blades. I play the mp 20 mmc a step above the mp 20 blades and they are very forgiving very workable and very precise. I think most pros realise this and play these types now. Example is brooks koepka playing 919 jpx tours... also i think mallets are here to stay for pros. The reason being... has anyone noticed how soft they tap most putts? I think it gives them the perfect amount of power on those rocket fast greens. Vice versa i had a spider x and while i think it is a great putter it was a nightmare after a few rounds for me... everything was blasted by the hole... switched to a 2018 scotty blade and its night and day.

There's actually little difference in MOI between the MMC and the blades.  Less than 200 gm-cm2.

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

5 hours ago, greenwavegolfer said:

There's absolutely no downsides to a forgiving design on a putter whereas there's a performance tradeoff between a blade and a chunky, forgiving GI type iron when you're a pro looking for consistent ball speeds and spin control on good shots. They don't want "flier" shots or reduced spin on irons and that's what dictates their choice of clubs. For a putter, they want what they can get a good roll with and align properly and if that's a mallet, it's a mallet.

Yeah this is a good point. You're not dealing with turf interaction, spin (to a degree), flight, or workability with a putter, so it ends up just coming down to a utilitarian decision for lots of guys. As a side dish to that, I think with the proliferation technology in instruction, more players are likely going to straighter, more mechanical putting strokes as opposed to the open and close "arc", which is more conducive to big, high MOI putters. 

Edited by Valtiel
  • Like 1

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 20* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

No such thing as "too forgiving". In every other pro sport in the world where the rules allow using performance enhancing equipment, the athletes will universally do so. Nobody in slalom or GS skiing is using a straight ski. Nobody in tennis is using a wooden racquet. All top tiers of auto racing now use an automated gearbox. The athletes will seek to gain every advantage possible as allowed by the rules.  Ditto for hockey sticks, bicycles, etc...100% of the time. 

Are pro golfers really that exceptionally stupid and hide bound by tradition? Even the world's very best ball strikers hit some balls off the center of the clubface. To think otherwise is naive. Why do a very significant percentage of pro golfers, then, choose to play blades, when there is true forgiveness to be had? And some will argue that forgiveness can be had with all the supposed advantages of hitting a blade. Why don't they move over to that gear, when they have zero issue doing so with their drivers, fairway woods and putters?

Myself, I don't think they're that stupid at all. The answer lies elsewhere.

Edited by dubbelbogey

Most pros are playing the smaller/medium sized mallets which really don't have a significantly higher MOI than a blade. In fact some of the smaller mallets actually have lower MOI than your standard Anser 2. I really think it's just more manufacturers having and pushing the mallet options with toe hang. 

I think some just prefer the big alignment aids on top and there's often a heftiness to the mallet that some prefer.

No good putter is concerned with "forgiveness" in a putter, and there's not a player on Tour that isn't qualified as a good putter. 

Edited by MelloYello

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

53 minutes ago, iNeedMoreGolf said:

Exuse me... but if you havent worked a putter before then... you must not golf...lol...  does a work count as a downhill right to left 15 footer that sinks? If so i worked the putter maybe a few times.

LOL.

I "work" a putter two ways:

- sometimes hit it off the toe on a short putt, or to control speed on a touchy downhill

- I'll strike down to pop the ball over the fringe or wet grass

The latter is because my chipping yips are locally legendary.

• Haha 3

Taylor Made Spider

57 minutes ago, iNeedMoreGolf said:

Exuse me... but if you havent worked a putter before then... you must not golf...lol...  does a work count as a downhill right to left 15 footer that sinks? If so i worked the putter maybe a few times.

That’s not the same.  You’re not trying to putt a draw or a cut.  I can see your point, but I’d argue what you did was a try to hit a straight putt to your line.  Working a full swing is quite different.

43 minutes ago, SouthLand said:

That’s not the same.  You’re not trying to putt a draw or a cut.  I can see your point, but I’d argue what you did was a try to hit a straight putt to your line.  Working a full swing is quite different.

No its not.. i took a full swing inside out in that putt.

8 hours ago, Valtiel said:

Yeah this is a good point. You're not dealing with turf interaction, spin (to a degree), flight, or workability with a putter, so it ends up just coming down to a utilitarian decision for lots of guys. As a side dish to that, I think with the proliferation technology in instruction, more players are likely going to straighter, more mechanical putting strokes as opposed to the open and close "arc", which is more conducive to big, high MOI putters. 

An awful lot of touring pros have been convinced that putting is something that can be reduced to a series of steps, each step of which can be perfected separately.

Have your caddie consult his greens book to find the break.

Point the alignment mark on your ball in the direction corresponding to that read.

Line the markings on the top of the putter with the line on the ball.

Make a stiff, mechanical, guided stroke with the putter to make sure you deliver it back to the ball with the lines still in the correct arrangement.

Voila, perfect putting every time...not!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I do agree with some of the thoughts here that i believe many pros view putting as very mechanical, whereas with full swings they want to shape shots , hit half-shots, manage trajectory etc...So using irons that they are comfortable with for a variety of reasons makes sense. 

for putters, it's actually a quite simple thing. Find a line and make ball go straight. 

As i mentioned , ironically i do the exact opposite. For me it's just that i like forgiveness with irons....and don't feel that i need forgiveness with a putter since it's easy to hit well. So i like the clean look of a small putter

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I love Anser/Newport blades.  But I align mallets better.  I might try a Spider Tour X with a slant neck; I really enjoy the alignment that putter provides.  Pretty decent distance control for an insert putter as well. 

Ping G430 MAX 10K 9*, Ventus Black 6X
Ping G430 MAX 3W 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X
Ping G430 Hybrid 19*, Ventus Blue HB 9X  /or/  Titleist TSR2 7W 21*, Tensei Black 75X

Ping i230 4i DG 120 S300

Ping Blueprint S, 5-PW DG 120 S300

Titleist Vokey SM9 50F, 54S, 58M

Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Mini CH /or/ Tri Hot 5K Seven CH

1 hour ago, MtlJeff said:

I do agree with some of the thoughts here that i believe many pros view putting as very mechanical, whereas with full swings they want to shape shots , hit half-shots, manage trajectory etc...So using irons that they are comfortable with for a variety of reasons makes sense. 

for putters, it's actually a quite simple thing. Find a line and make ball go straight. 

As i mentioned , ironically i do the exact opposite. For me it's just that i like forgiveness with irons....and don't feel that i need forgiveness with a putter since it's easy to hit well. So i like the clean look of a small putter

The dimension besides "straight" on the right line hitting it with the right speed. The bigger the mallet, the (generally) tougher to control speed.

Taylor Made Spider