2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Irons: What Keeps Them In Your Bag?

JB_007

Starting to realize I have an iron problem. I've had 9 sets in the past two years ( not many for some on here) but I still can't find a set that seems to be "the right one". I've been fit twice by Top 100 fitters and the results I see in the fitting near match up when I actually go to play. I'm lucky that I can afford to buy sets / have used ebay to buy used and basically come out of all this experimenting even. I'm tried everything from blades, to players irons, to players distance, no matter what i try after a few rounds, I start creating a cons list of each iron, whether it's feel, height, not holding greens, etc... I'm starting to think I'm looking for something that doesn't exist or just a club ho who needs to find another hobby..

Just curious, to those who have kept an iron for a while, what was some of the traits or performance aspects that kept the set in your bag?

Callaway AI Smoke TD 9° | Ventus Black 6X

Titleist TSR2+ 14.5*  | Ventus Black 7X

Titleist TSR2 18*  | AV Raw Blue 8TX

Titleist  '23 T200 (4) T100 5-9  | PX Rifle 6.5
Titleist  SM9 46 / 50 / 54 / 58  | PX Rifle 6.0

**Putter Unknown**

I've had my Apex Pro 16's in the bag for the better part of two full seasons now.  They're shafted with Project X 6.0's and I've lead taped each head and to me they're just as good of an iron setup I've had.  Predictable distances, ability to flight down or hit high and reasonably forgiving with a good swing put on them.  I purchased them on Preowned and they are 3/4" long and the 8,9 and PW are starting to brown a little on the face but I don't have any intention of replacing due to confidence in them.

I bought a set of Srixon 785's to start the season and have since sold them.  I couldn't get the confidence I have in my Apex Pro's even after reshafting with Project X 6.0's.

Once you find a set of irons you like, my advice is to stop looking.  Easier said than done but you'll save some $$$ and play better golf if you'e confident in swinging what you've got.  Now drivers or putters?  I'm on my 4th driver this season but I think I've finally got a keeper.

In the Bag:

Driver: 10.5 Epic Speed Graphite Design AD-ITZ 60

Fairway Wood: 15 Epic Speed Graphite Design AD-ITZ 70

Fairway Wood: 19 Epic Flash Tensei Blue 75

Irons: Apex Pro '19 4-AW, Aerotech Steelfiber 95

Wedges: 54 MD4 and 58 '19 PM Grind 

Grips: Tour Velvet Jumbo

Putter: Odyssey MXM 9 HT

Balls: Chrome soft Triple Track

I was looking at buying a new set of irons but after hitting several brands i'm just not that sure anymore, I have a almost new set of Bridgestone J33 cb's that I like everything about them, other than distance, the newer irons didn't seem to offer anything to my game. I think I will just spend the money and have these reshafted with something that fits me better.

Mostly cause I'm poor...

But really, if I find a set I like aesthetically and I hit them solid then I honestly have no reason to change. Rather use the money I've now saved to go play golf. 

• Like 3

Titleist 910D3 9.5°
Taylormade Rocketballz tour 18°

Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron
Callaway ApexMB '18 4 - PW
Vokey SM7 52° + 58°
Ping Scottsdale Halfpipe

4 minutes ago, Jonesy said:

Mostly cause I'm poor...

This is my go to answer, but I think the word "cheap" might be closer to the truth. If I really wanted to, I could come up with the money.

But, good god are new irons expensive... Used? Probably not going to find anything much better than what I've got. 

So, I keep playing what I have. They work good. 

• Like 3

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

Just stare at the clubs and say "for better or worse, these are my sticks this year" 

That green you didn't hold? Wasn't a good enough swing to get the height/spin needed. Not liking the flight? Control it with technique. Etc. Shift the blame from the clubs on to yourself. 

What qualities keep them in the bag? Well they are Hogan blades and they look fantastic. For the most part I play well with them. I've hit some incredible shots with them and know that given time I will again. Recently I've played some bad rounds and have been looking at other options, but I don't have the desire to go through the hassle of a new set. So they stay.

23 minutes ago, jholz said:

This is my go to answer, but I think the word "cheap" might be closer to the truth. If I really wanted to, I could come up with the money.

But, good god are new irons expensive... Used? Probably not going to find anything much better than what I've got. 

So, I keep playing what I have. They work good. 

100% this, it's actually pathetic, irons shouldn't be the price that they are these days.

I got lucky with my new ones, found them on FB in great condition and at a 3rd of the retail price so I couldn't pass them up, especially since I've had my old irons for 8 years. 

• Like 2

Titleist 910D3 9.5°
Taylormade Rocketballz tour 18°

Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron
Callaway ApexMB '18 4 - PW
Vokey SM7 52° + 58°
Ping Scottsdale Halfpipe

Every 3-4 years, I feel my swing has changed and will go see a fitter to try some of the new stuff out. Meanwhile, I feel pretty confident and rather go for lessons.

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Paradym X w/ HZRDUS Silver 50 5.5
5W: Callaway Mavrik Max w/ Riptide 60 5.5
5i: Mizuno JPX923 Hot Metal w/ Recoil ESX 460 F3 

6i-GW: Mizuno JPX923 Hot Metal Pro w/ Recoil ESX 460 F3
52*: Mizuno S23 S-Grind w/ Nippon Pro Modus 3 105 
58*: Mizuno S23 D-Grind w/ Nippon Pro Modus 3 105 
Putter: Yes! Hannah

Do I like the way they look?  Do they feel good? Am I hitting decent shots with them, when I put a good swing on it?  If I hit 2/4 greens on par 3s and am keeping it in play without a ton of fat shots (my miss) then I'm happy

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue SubZero 9* 

TEE CBX 119 4wd 16.5*

Wilson Staff FG Tour F5 3h 19*

Wilson Staff C300 Forged 4i

Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 5-GW

Scratch 56* DS

Toulon Atlanta

a few things.

1. I just went through 3 sets a gi set... a players distance set and now players iron set. I stuck with players irons set mizuno mp20 mmc because they look great feel great and do everything i want and need. The others were very very good but i couldnt settle until i was truly happy and now i am. It had to do with offset size and feel. 

2. Ive played 4 different iron sets this year... not one set has not "held a green" i keep hearing this not hold a green with an iron thing.. the only club that hasn't held a green this year for me has been my 3 hybrid and it dont even faze me. Ive had 3wood hold greens this year also. Unless some of you are playing pga greens im not sure how your iron sets arent holding... and you cant be counting hitting the last yard of the green and then it pops off... im talking front or middle... then again ive hit shots in the back that even stuck.

3. This is a journey i think we all take and love just as much as actually playing... after doing this clubs searching journey for the past 6 yrs ? ive realized now what my game needs and i like so for now im very content and just want to golf... and for future i know it will be easier knowing now what i like and need. I think it can become somewhat of a fun thing to do and seems to be what you maybe experiencing. Try to just find each club that you really love and fits into your game. Id like to suggest some mizuno irons as recently ive discovered as good as other iron brands are... i do belive mizuno has them all beat. Super soft like no other... forgiving.. accurate. Fits the eye. Not much more i can ask for. Hope this all helps.

I’ve had my MP64’s for 8, maybe 9 seasons now.  Some of the newer sets have my attention (I’m looking at you T100-S) but then I sometimes think why would I do this. I’m playing maybe the best golf of my life (index is currently +1.7) so I am probably an idiot to change. But, there’s a little club ho in all of us... and I also believe that it’s not necessarily the arrow. You’ve been fitted, so maybe it’s not the clubs?

Edited by Kyle M

5 hours ago, 2ndCut16 said:

Starting to realize I have an iron problem. I've had 9 sets in the past two years ( not many for some on here) but I still can't find a set that seems to be "the right one". I've been fit twice by Top 100 fitters and the results I see in the fitting near match up when I actually go to play. I'm lucky that I can afford to buy sets / have used ebay to buy used and basically come out of all this experimenting even. I'm tried everything from blades, to players irons, to players distance, no matter what i try after a few rounds, I start creating a cons list of each iron, whether it's feel, height, not holding greens, etc... I'm starting to think I'm looking for something that doesn't exist or just a club ho who needs to find another hobby..

Just curious, to those who have kept an iron for a while, what was some of the traits or performance aspects that kept the set in your bag?

I think you answered your own question. “Looking for something that doesn’t exist”. 9 sets is a ton in 2 years. Not sure you’re in a location where you can play for a longer season. I looked for an iron that was just right, until I started switching out shafts, THEN I found what I wanted. I play Maltby forges now and it’s the best decision I’ve made. 
How about sticking to one brand and one design that you like. Same with drivers and wedges. If you’re going to change anything read up on shafts. I’m a senior, and tried graphite, then I changed to Nippon and never looked back.

Ive played the same driver for 8 years, and the same Scotty putter.

Irons I don’t play I take out of my bag. Haven’t touched a 9 iron in a long time. 
Two wedges. A 52, and a 58. 
Remember it’s very seldom and arrow. It’s always the archer.

~Bill

6 hours ago, 2ndCut16 said:

I'd recommend changing the way you think about your irons... If you are switching them out 4 times a year, it's not the irons...

Any set of clubs is going to have trade-offs. Want the ability to work the ball? You have to give up forgiveness. Want a higher ball flight? It's going to make hitting a stinger harder...

Changing clubs multiple times is just going to make you a worse golfer... Pick a set, stick with it and learn what you can and can't do... 

• Like 1

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

3 hours ago, Chadwickog said:

Do I like the way they look?  Do they feel good? Am I hitting decent shots with them, when I put a good swing on it?  If I hit 2/4 greens on par 3s and am keeping it in play without a ton of fat shots (my miss) then I'm happy

This. Looks, feel and performance - not in any particular order!

He likes the feeling of forged irons. He played Hogan then Mizuno blades for many many years. There weren't as many shaft choices back then. Hogan had Apex, everyone else had TT. Rifles fcm arrived (what a godsend), Then KBS, then project X, then nippon years later...The marriage of shaft to head is essential to JP. So you would need to know what shaft you like. That is the hardest thing to test for without a fitting. He would go to OEM days to test shafts as much as heads. This plays out over many years...

Jack Pearsall's First Rule of Golf states that when you have expectations, you will be crushed by those expectations.

You seem to expect something from your iron sets that would appear to be unreasonable.

• Like 1

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade 300 Series 15*

Taylormade Sim2 Max 18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  5-PW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3

13 minutes ago, Jack Pearsall said:

He likes the feeling of forged irons. He played Hogan then Mizuno blades for many many years. There weren't as many shaft choices back then. Hogan had Apex, everyone else had TT. Rifles fcm arrived (what a godsend), Then KBS, then project X, then nippon years later...The marriage of shaft to head is essential to JP. So you would need to know what shaft you like. That is the hardest thing to test for without a fitting. He would go to OEM days to test shafts as much as heads. This plays out over many years...

Jack Pearsall's First Rule of Golf states that when you have expectations, you will be crushed by those expectations.

You seem to expect something from your iron sets that would appear to be unreasonable.

Agreed. Someone very wise once said “With most things in life, there is no success or failure,... there are only expectations!”

i'm revolving my guest/backup set of irons, but my Srixon 785s are firmly in my bag. They check all the boxes for me. 

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

For me it's looks then how they feel. By feel I mean weight. Too heavy, too light? If the weight doesn't feel correct I know the results won't be there. 

I bought a set of Titleist 710mb when they first came out. I tried a few times to replace them but couldn't. The weight - feel was just perfect. So they stayed. 

Just this year I went to my fitter and my swing changed a little and he suggested switching to PX. So I ordered 919 tours. Luckily all clubs feel perfect to me. 

Confidence in the feel and weight will usually translate to good ball striking. 

Find a club you like the looks of then go have a in-depth fitting done. If you have one club you really like over others take that one club with you. Weight is by far most important for good contact. For me anyway. 

I mostly play irons for 3-4 years until i get bored and get new ones. Usually i think about it for a few months before buying so i am typically happy with my purchases, and they tend to last the mentioned time period

I've rarely gotten rid of irons due to performance, it's mostly just wanting something new. 

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Mizuno blades -- the feel, the look, the consistency and the workability. I love the clean look, the feeling that I can do anything with them, and the knowledge that they will produce the exact yardage that they should for the strike I make.  

Titleist TSR 1w Ventus Red 6x

Titleist TSR 3w Tour AD DI 7x

Titleist TSR 5w Tour AD DI 8x

Titleist TSR 4h Tour AD DI 9x

Titleist T150 4i-6i X100 Tour

Titleist T100 7i-9i X100 Tour

Titleist SM09 Pw-Lw S400 Tour

Titleist Pro V1 White Hot OG5

My irons are fit to me, anything else I buy isn't fit to me and won't work as well so no need for new irons until I need/want them. At that point I'll get another fitting. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

I seem to change more recently, as I’m getting a bit older.    Looking at g710 now.   Last year at this time I was playing mizuno MP5 with kbs, Switched out to ping ie1 with dgs300.  Love the feel when I flush them.    But. Tried a buddies g710s and found them stupid easy.   Different feel but every shot was high on line and landed close to my target.

my setup will be different as he had the stock shaft and flat lie where I’ll be getting dg r300 and a bit upright.  I like the feel of almost anything with dg gold in em.  Looking forward to these.  

G430 MAX 10K 9° w/ventus velocore red 5s

G430 MAX threewood ping chrome tour2 65 S
Taylor Made SIM MAX2 5wood w/ventus velocore blue 7

Adams 23º 9031 proto w' diamana ahina 82
Eye2   3-SW

Oddessy Rossie nsl og slant neck.  

I've bought a dozen or so sets of irons over the past couple of years, but the only one I keep going back to is my set of I20s.  That being said, my Hogan's arrived today, sooooooo........

What's In The Ping Moonlite:
Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

Still gaming my 2014 Apex Pros.  I like the look at address, turf interaction and feel.  I don't buy the whole distance thing, if I need more distance I take a longer club.

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

Switched from a split set of Callaway X Forged 4-7iron, muscle back 8-PW to Taylormade P760's this year.  Did it because of the foam in the head and the forgiveness. They work as advertised.  I have all the same feel and shot shape control with the short irons as I did with the Cally blades, and the foam in the mid and long irons makes them stupid forgiving.  A shining example of Golf tech that actually works 

Edited by Dr. Block

Not sure anyone can top this , but its real ... Whats keeping my irons in my bag .. earlier in the season I had 5 brand new sets of irons in 1 WEEK .. I was taking a pretty god ribbing from my game at our country club .. last set was the Apex Pro 19 .. I made the statement "if you guys see another set of irons in my bag this year, everyone in our game gets a milkshake"  Well our game has about 12 guys and I'm not about to buy everyone a milkshake.  I have even bought a couple sets since and hit them on the range (not in my bag though), but sold them soon after. Thats what is keep my irons in my bag.

Most important aspect IMO - Dispersion. They can look fantastic but if they don't perform then unfortunately they won't work.

Callaway Paradym TD 10.5* @ 8.5*, Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 6X

Taylormade Sim Ti 3W, Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 7X

Callaway Apex UW 19*, LAGP Trono 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 4-5, MMT 105TX

Callaway Apex CB 6-11, MMT 105TX

Callaway JAWS Raw 54S/60X, MMT 105TX

Odyssey Eleven Tour Lined CS w/ Superstroke Tour 2.0

Chome Soft X

I replaced my entire bag earlier this year, I had a set of 40 ish year old wilson k 28 blades, "upgraded" to the VAS 792's. Was playing ok with them but they were hooking a bit too much (especially if I really tried to step on one). I decided to purchace a set of Cleveland 588 mts. They look good to me and they perform well enough. In response to the question as to why they'll be in my bag for a while 1A) performance, 1B) price I paid for them, followed by overall condition. I don't really care much about looks, only club I've ever sat down behind a ball and immediately said "nope" was some weird hybrid iron esque thing with a bulge in the back with what looked like wire coiled around it.

D-Taylormade SIM MAX D Diamana PD 50r

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

17° Adams XTD Ti super hybrid

4h-5h- Tour Edge Exotics ex9

6-AW- Cleveland Launcher XL Nippon Zelos 7

56°- Cleveland CBX Zipcore

60°- Lazrus

P- Odyssey eleven tour lined stroke lab shaft

I can and have adapted to a wide variety of irons, but ultimately, I try not to blame poor performance or attribute particularly fantastic results to my irons. Yes, they have all been "adjusted" to my build, swing and grip preference (via flex, length and lie tweaks). I no longer use the word "fit" for this process because that word has become corrupted. Yes, they fit me, but to me it's the equivalent of having the right waist size and inseam length on my pants - not a technology choice. Pretty much every set I've owned has worked fine for the job.

My current set has been in the bag for several years, and same for the set prior. They stay there because they are very familiar to me (like a baseball glove or a comfy set of jeans) - no reason to change. I don't look to irons to make a performance difference - I look to them to be reliable and predictable.

So why I have changed at all? Mostly curiosity. Even though it may take many 5 or 10 (or more) years for me to switch, even I eventually get the itch to try something different. 

Edited by dubbelbogey