MMT 80 graphite iron shaft, heavier steel wedge shaft - Need recommendation and feedback.

Started playing PXG 0211 with MMT 80 stiff a few months back, transition over from Z765 Modus 120 stiff.

Love the 0211, easier to swing, distance control, spin, length, no compliant at all but as you can imagine all my wedge shafts are at least 120g.  It is very different and strange at the driving range, if I hit like 10 to 20 wedge shot and move over to the 0211 iron.  On the course,  it's not as weird as on the driving range because it's only one shot at a time.

I will like to try the MMT 105 scoring wedge shaft but there's no feedback and not cheap, spec said raw weight 113g.   The MMT 80 and MMT 90 are not .355 tip.  Not sure what to do.... any suggestion.

TM Sim 10.5, VA Rajjin 64S
Titleist 16.5 TS2, GD AD TP 6S
Callaway Mavrik 5 Hybrid Project X Cataylst 70 6.0
Callaway Mavrik 3 Hybrid Project X Cataylst 70 6.0
Callaway Epic Forge, Steelfiber 90S
Miura Tour Wedge 54, Steelfiber 115cw S
TM MG2 58, KBS.

Scotty Cameron Big Sur Long Putter.

Snell MTB X.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I play 80 ish gram graphite’s in my 7-PW & DG 120 ish gram steel in my wedges also.

To me, wedges are different clubs (more for finesse, less than full swings).

I can see why you might be OCD & want to get MMT’s though.

EFSZ 9* (Ventus Blue VeloCore 6S) / 0811X+ Proto 10.5* (TZ5 Proto 55S) / G400LST 10* (Tensei CK White 60S).

0317 Gen1 17* & 0317X Gen2 19* (MMT 80S)

0311 Gen1 4-5 & 0311P Gen2 6-PW (SteelFiber i95S)

RTX4 Raw 52* & 58*, Mid (TI S400); HiToe 64* (HiRev 2.0)
SC Red X2 / WHP 7CS

Tour B XS (normal cond.) / LD V1x (windy cond.)

- Backups: F7 2-3H; 0211; TW-X; IC-601; 716 T-MB; Lucky 777CS; WHP CSM 400g; Sigma G Kinloch C.

18 hours ago, shaolingolfer said:

Started playing PXG 0211 with MMT 80 stiff a few months back, transition over from Z765 Modus 120 stiff.

Love the 0211, easier to swing, distance control, spin, length, no compliant at all but as you can imagine all my wedge shafts are at least 120g.  It is very different and strange at the driving range, if I hit like 10 to 20 wedge shot and move over to the 0211 iron.  On the course,  it's not as weird as on the driving range because it's only one shot at a time.

I will like to try the MMT 105 scoring wedge shaft but there's no feedback and not cheap, spec said raw weight 113g.   The MMT 80 and MMT 90 are not .355 tip.  Not sure what to do.... any suggestion.

It's easy to either 1) add a taper to the MMT's or 2) ream the wedge hosel to accept the .370 tip.    If you want a less expensive option, that's fine but the tip size is no reason not to use them.

Do you know what weight you want the wedge shafts?   I personally like mine about 10-15 gm heavier than the iron shafts but everyone is different.

My personal favorite wedge shaft are the UST Recoils (95 or 110 gm) but I think they are a bit stiffer than the MMT's so don't know how they'd work for you.

12 hours ago, Go Horns! said:

The MMT also comes in a taper tip model. I think the MMT-105 stiff soft-stepped twice would make a good wedge shaft.

I have the MMT-80s, and I think that is what I'm going to do. But I'm on the fence about it. Expensive experiment.

You go trying it first and report back. ?

TM MG2 58, KBS.

Snell MTB X.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, I have 2 rounds in so far with them. I ordered blind and then had a chance to get in at Club Champion to test them out. I had very good numbers with 105 TX with MC. The biggest thing for me was the dispersion. I also hit the 125x and it was way too much shaft for me. It was a night and day difference between the 105 and 125.  I’m thrilled with them so far. They play like steel but there’s absolutely zero shock in them. I’m coming off my 2nd shoulder surgery in 3 years on my right arm so I was looking for something to ease the load off. I’m a bit slow right now in the SS department due to the surgery, but I’m usually 90 mph with my 6 iron and 110 with driver. I really think these are gonna be home run for some people.  

3 hours ago, bd59 said:

Yes, I have 2 rounds in so far with them. I ordered blind and then had a chance to get in at Club Champion to test them out. I had very good numbers with 105 TX with MC. The biggest thing for me was the dispersion. I also hit the 125x and it was way too much shaft for me. It was a night and day difference between the 105 and 125.  I’m thrilled with them so far. They play like steel but there’s absolutely zero shock in them. I’m coming off my 2nd shoulder surgery in 3 years on my right arm so I was looking for something to ease the load off. I’m a bit slow right now in the SS department due to the surgery, but I’m usually 90 mph with my 6 iron and 110 with driver. I really think these are gonna be home run for some people.  

How is the swingweight? Any problem getting your preferred swingweight or did your builder have to get creative?

I am going to try an 8 Iron 105 S for my sand wedge and go from there.  It's going to cost at least $100 and I paid $95 plus tax for the 0211 with MMT 80.?

TM MG2 58, KBS.

Snell MTB X.

On 9/1/2020 at 5:28 AM, shaolingolfer said:

I ended up with MMT 125TX in my 3 wedges and love them, so crisp and easy to control. I switched out from c taper 130 and S400 in wedges just FYI.

Fwiw I’m playing the exact same irons and shafts as you, 5-GW.

My sand/lob wedges are ping glide 54* with recoil 95 stiff and PM grind 58* with stock steel.  Working terrific so far.  I like sensing a smidgeon more heft on sand and lob wedges.

The recoil 95 is only a little heavier than MMT 80.  Recoil oem shafts are excellent, just $50, modest experiment.  I’ve been using them in wedges for years.  The recoil 110 is nice also.

The PM grind is a specialty club for me, never hit it over 70 yards, mostly little pitches and sand shots, steel is fine.

The 0211s are a deal right now, could imagine just getting their SW with MMT 80 stiff, just like the GW.  For me, that would be great for full swings but I know and like the Ping Glides for finesse shots.

Edited by rmgatl