Am I crazy?

byoshio82

Currently pondering a set of P7MB irons in 4-PW. Currently playing a combo set of P770/P790’s played the P750 prior to that and wouldn’t consider myself a amazing ball striker. For the past few years now the 7-9 iron in the P770 have just looked god awful to my eye and inspired zero confidence on approach shots. However with my Vokeys (SM7 46, 50,54, 58) I just feel like I can fire and pins and expect to hit it close and if I miss it’s not by much. playing to a 3.5 handicap but it’s almost solely based on my driver distance and short game. 

Anyone out there made the switch to blades recently and have any feedback on if this has helped on your 6-PW approach shots? Looking for my 6-9 to be more like my wedges and be scoring clubs or at least more of a predictable and easier to swallow miss. Wouldn’t be opposed to MC/new P770 in the 4 & 5 irons easier as that’s about where I could use some help. 

WITB - 4/2/24

Driver: TSR3 - 9* HZRDUS Black G4 6.5

4W: TSR3 16.5* - HZRDUS Black G4 6.5

7W: TSR2 21* - Ventus Blue 7X

Srixon ZX-4 4-5 $-Taper 130X - SSX1

Srixon ZX-7 6-PW $-taper 130X

Ping S159 - 50S/54H/58H - DG X100TI
TaylorMade TP Collection Juno
Testing: Odyssey AI One Rossie S

That sounds less like a blade question and more just one of finding what looks good to your eye, which is super important. There are plenty of thinner toplined player's cavity backs out there if you don't want to go full blade, something that your point about being not an "amazing" ball striker should considered for. Also, why not embrace the combo set? You already have, and I think if the shorter irons in the P7MB inspire confidence then there is no reason you couldn't just drop your 7-9 in favor of those. 

Most importantly though, you have established that this is a person preference aesthetic thing, so I really wouldn't look to anyone else but yourself to find what's right here. 

Edited by Valtiel
  • Like 3

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 20* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

21 hours ago, Valtiel said:

That sounds less like a blade question and more just one of finding what looks good to your eye, which is super important. There are plenty of thinner toplined player's cavity backs out there if you don't want to go full blade, something that your point about being not an "amazing" ball striker should considered for. Also, why not embrace the combo set? You already have, and I think if the shorter irons in the P7MB inspire confidence then there is no reason you couldn't just drop your 7-9 in favor of those. 

Most importantly though, you have established that this is a person preference aesthetic thing, so I really wouldn't look to anyone else but yourself to find what's right here. 

Well said! Thanks for the input! 

WITB - 4/2/24

I've been facing a somewhat similar issue of late. My scores haven't changed much over the past few years however my strengths are now almost opposite what they used to be. I'm now fairly good off the tee and around the greens but my iron striking has been woeful, which was always my main strength.

I have attributed my short iron issues to a lack of comfort over my old 565s and I think I struggle with them because of the wider sole and my rather steep aoa, I wonder if maybe the turf interaction with your wedges feels better than the irons and that could be a factor as well. For that reason I am looking to move into a combo set sometime soon with a thinner sole and top line. 

• Like 1

Mavrik SZ 10.5 @ 9.5- Evenflow T1100 65x

917 f3 13.5 @ 14.25- Tour AD DI 7x

TP UDI 3 iron- hzrdus handcrafted black 105x

z565 4-p- DG x100

RTX 4 51 mid, 56 mid, 60 low

Phantom X 5.5/ 2016 Newport 2.5/ Nike Method Midnight 008

I'm a 3.4 and I went to Rose Protos and it turned out to be too much for me. Didn't take long to figure that one out! I was coming off of a set of MP32/MP60 irons I had built to spec and over the years I've moved away from that particular shaft. Turns out they were pretty forgiving irons. 

It sounds like we have our handicaps for similar reasons, and with a young child I hardly ever get to practice and play. I'm happier playing with a bit of forgiveness baked in. The MP20 MMC appears to have fixed the only things I disliked about the MP18 MMC set I tried for a couple rounds to get my bearings on modern equipment. Certainly in the 8-PW position I'd like to think we'd both still benefit from playing something sharp looking and precise. Since you like your Vokeys maybe check out the T100. They've made those far sleeker than the AP2s they replaced. Hope this is helpful. My end result suggests that there's still a big difference between a low single digit and a scratch of plus player, and that's the difference in fully utilizing blades beyond short irons. For me at least, although I expect I'll get skewered by a bunch of 15s who are super happy playing baby blades w/X100s. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2020 at 7:39 AM, kmck15 said:

I've been facing a somewhat similar issue of late. My scores haven't changed much over the past few years however my strengths are now almost opposite what they used to be. I'm now fairly good off the tee and around the greens but my iron striking has been woeful, which was always my main strength.

I have attributed my short iron issues to a lack of comfort over my old 565s and I think I struggle with them because of the wider sole and my rather steep aoa, I wonder if maybe the turf interaction with your wedges feels better than the irons and that could be a factor as well. For that reason I am looking to move into a combo set sometime soon with a thinner sole and top line. 

First off GO DUCKS!! Totally bummed they aren't playing right now. Secondly there could be some truth to that possibly? I think I am just in my head and the looks don't help things.

WITB - 4/2/24

On 9/2/2020 at 8:13 AM, Sean2 said:

It's golf...we are all crazy. ?

For real though! 

• Like 1

WITB - 4/2/24

On 9/2/2020 at 8:04 AM, bnperrone said:

I'm a 3.4 and I went to Rose Protos and it turned out to be too much for me. Didn't take long to figure that one out! I was coming off of a set of MP32/MP60 irons I had built to spec and over the years I've moved away from that particular shaft. Turns out they were pretty forgiving irons. 

It sounds like we have our handicaps for similar reasons, and with a young child I hardly ever get to practice and play. I'm happier playing with a bit of forgiveness baked in. The MP20 MMC appears to have fixed the only things I disliked about the MP18 MMC set I tried for a couple rounds to get my bearings on modern equipment. Certainly in the 8-PW position I'd like to think we'd both still benefit from playing something sharp looking and precise. Since you like your Vokeys maybe check out the T100. They've made those far sleeker than the AP2s they replaced. Hope this is helpful. My end result suggests that there's still a big difference between a low single digit and a scratch of plus player, and that's the difference in fully utilizing blades beyond short irons. For me at least, although I expect I'll get skewered by a bunch of 15s who are super happy playing baby blades w/X100s. 

Awesome post bnperrone. Appreciate the input for sure!

WITB - 4/2/24

I've now played for 7 years and 5 of those years gamed blades (even when I was an 18 handicap). Currently I'm an 8.8 handicap and gaming JPX 919 Tours (I've actually had people argue with me they're not blades, but that's a discussion for another day). The big switch came when I went from Callaway APEX 16 CF to Miura MB 001s. For me the switch can be summed up to 5 reasons:

1. Topline - Completely subjective but not only does a thin topline look good in my eyes, a thicker topline was a distraction to me. 

2. Offset - I can't align properly especially on lower irons with offset and blades have almost no offset.

3. CG - I have high swing speed and high launch so a higher center of gravity in blades helped lower the launch to something I prefer more.

4. Feedback - I know exactly where I made contact with the ball giving me better feedback as I was learning. I don't need mishits to launch like a pure shot.

5. Misses - A subjective theory, but if I mishit, I'd prefer it to be 20 yards shorter than 20 yards further in the wrong direction. In the courses I play, it was the difference of being short in the rough or being in the trees.  

For me, my score didn't change when I switched from the APEX to the Miuras. I've seen so many blade vs cavity back/GI debates on the forum, but it really comes down to you and what you're looking for. It can make complete sense for a scratch golfer to play CB/GI irons (Kevin Na plays them on tour) while an 18 handicapper plays a blade.

Having said that, I'm completely a fan of making life easier on longer irons. Reason for my switch from Miuras to JPX919s were because I wanted more stability in my 4-5 irons while having the same look throughout my set. I got even more forgiveness by getting MP-20 HMB for my 3 iron.

• Thanks 1

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST 🔸🔸🔸 LS 9.0* - Fujikura Ventus Black w/ Velocore 6x

3-Wood: Cobra King F9 Speedback 13.5* - Accra FX 2.0 300F M5

5-Wood: Cobra King F9 Speedback Tour 16.5* - Mitsubishi Diamana D+ Limited Edition 80 X

3-Iron: Mizuno MP-20 HMB - Project X 6.5

4-PW: Mizuno JPX 919 Tour - Project X 6.5

Wedges: Taylormade MG3 52.09 - Project X 6.5

Taylormade MG3 56.12; Taylormade Hi-Toe Raw 60* - Project X 6.0

Putter: Sik Pro Armlock - LAGolf Shaft

Ball: ProV1

Bag: Nike Air Hybrid

On 9/15/2020 at 12:16 PM, smrtchar said:

I've now played for 7 years and 5 of those years gamed blades (even when I was an 18 handicap). Currently I'm an 8.8 handicap and gaming JPX 919 Tours (I've actually had people argue with me they're not blades, but that's a discussion for another day). The big switch came when I went from Callaway APEX 16 CF to Miura MB 001s. For me the switch can be summed up to 5 reasons:

1. Topline - Completely subjective but not only does a thin topline look good in my eyes, a thicker topline was a distraction to me. 

2. Offset - I can't align properly especially on lower irons with offset and blades have almost no offset.

3. CG - I have high swing speed and high launch so a higher center of gravity in blades helped lower the launch to something I prefer more.

4. Feedback - I know exactly where I made contact with the ball giving me better feedback as I was learning. I don't need mishits to launch like a pure shot.

5. Misses - A subjective theory, but if I mishit, I'd prefer it to be 20 yards shorter than 20 yards further in the wrong direction. In the courses I play, it was the difference of being short in the rough or being in the trees.  

For me, my score didn't change when I switched from the APEX to the Miuras. I've seen so many blade vs cavity back/GI debates on the forum, but it really comes down to you and what you're looking for. It can make complete sense for a scratch golfer to play CB/GI irons (Kevin Na plays them on tour) while an 18 handicapper plays a blade.

Having said that, I'm completely a fan of making life easier on longer irons. Reason for my switch from Miuras to JPX919s were because I wanted more stability in my 4-5 irons while having the same look throughout my set. I got even more forgiveness by getting MP-20 HMB for my 3 iron.

I love the way that you broke this down. All 5 I can relate to. I am a long hitter who is looking to give up yardage and gain some control. Mostly in the shorter irons as I agree in my longer irons I will take some help. Mostly looking for consistency all the way thru the bag and my woods, wedges and putter are that thankfully so I can lean on them when needed.

WITB - 4/2/24

Related to this topic: What's Your Iron Type?, in September 2020 Golf Digest, pp. 30-32. Mike Stachura has a scratch and a 15-HDCPer test out blades vs. CBs... check out the scatter diagrams!

(Article still embargoed online, that's why no link.)

• Like 1

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |