Tournaments Boy's vs Girls

tiger1873

For those of us with Girls have you noticed that Girls playing tournaments have very different experiences then boys playing the same tournament?

You don't really think about it until you play girls only tournaments and suddenly understand why playing all girls tournaments is so important when ever you can.

Some of the differences I see

1) Tee's are often an afterthought sometimes they make them too short other times way too long especially if the course is designed for for men.

2) Parents for girls are much more involved and there are lot girls who just don't care about playing golf but are still entered into tournaments. 

3) More drama in general (i think #2 above is the root cause)  With boys they just would not put with stuff girls pull.

4) Very hard to find other girls to play casual rounds with.

I am sure there are ton others. Makes me want to seek out more girls only tournaments. Ovisiouly some tours better then others but I sure we all see this stuff.

Edited by tiger1873

Tiger I think you are correct on some of your points. I think girls in general are less competitive as a whole than boys. For them the social aspect of things is much greater. You will see lots of girls hanging out together afterwards o the putting greens just chatting and being silly with their friends. You just don't see this as much with boys. Sure there are girls who are super competitive and have no time for the social aspect of things but that isn't the norm. I coached HS golf for 15 years and there is definitely more drama with girls than boys in any sport. That is something that is just part of girls nature. I wish there were more quality tournaments for girls but there aren't. I have even thought about trying to put together a big time junior tournament for girls. As for your other points, I don't think girl's parents are more involved than boys parents. If anything I would say they are less involved because many of the girls just do it for the social aspect. As far as the course length goes, its hard for me to really say much because my daughter is a short hitter for her age. Even the US kids lengths at worlds are long for her but overall I think US Kids does a good job with their distances. I don't see a ton of girls shooting ridiculously low scores at most events so I don't see why they need to make the courses that long for them. My daughter turns 13 this month and she will go from playing 5000-5200 yards on most tours to around 5700 now. That is because they lump the 13 year old girls with the 15 year old ones. There aren't enough girls to break things down into smaller divisions like with the boys. Overall, I think the girls game is growing tremendously and you will continue to see better players emerge.

19 minutes ago, kekoa said:

From my experience, the girls play painstakingly slow compared to the boys, which speaks toward your point #2.  Routines are great, but not when they take 5 minutes to complete for every shot or putt. 

No doubt Kekoa. Girls are way slower than boys when it comes to pace of play. Some of it is they don't have since of urgency to want to move fast and then there is the social aspect. They spend a ton of time talking to their playing partners and it slows things down. You are way better off pairing them in groups of two even if it means having more groups.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kekoa said:

From my experience, the girls play painstakingly slow compared to the boys, which speaks toward your point #2.  Routines are great, but not when they take 5 minutes to complete for every shot or putt. 

Younger girl's and Senior ladies this is true.  If they are players it is no different than the boy's.  The slowest players I have ever witnessed have been boy's.

Edited by heavy_hitter
  • Like 1

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

13 minutes ago, heavy_hitter said:

Younger girl's and Senior ladies this is true.  If they are players it is no different than the boy's.  The slowest players I have ever witnessed have been boy's.

I agree with this a lot times they put the girls behind the boys and some them are painstakingly slow players.   Boy's also tend to spray the course more then girls and lose balls more often and that is what slow down play a lot..

Edited by tiger1873

2 hours ago, tiger1873 said:

I agree with this a lot times they put the girls behind the boys and some them are painstakingly slow players.   Boy's also tend to spray the course more then girls and lose balls more often and that is what slow down play a lot..

This describes the big boys and big girls too. In 2014, I was a volunteer crowd marshal for the Curtis Cup amateur matches at St. Louis Country Club. This featured the USA women vs. the British/Irish women.

I remember the play coordination meeting with the St.LCC head pro. As an old caddie from the  pre-2000 era, I asked it there were any hole landing areas where the marshals and spotters had to be especially watchful. He smiled and said no, not for a women's tournament. 

"When women miss a drive, it goes into the first cut of rough. When men miss a drive, it goes into never-neverland."

As for overall golf behavior, high school girls appear to have better manners than high school boys. I know this from encountering the HS crowds at two different practice ranges. The girls tend to keep to themselves, with some quiet conversation. The boys, however, tend to make their presence known. You hear distracting trash-talking like at a pickup basketball game. And, the boys have little contests like who can pick a PW shot off the practice green w/o taking a divot. (Unfortunately, most can't!)

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

21 hours ago, kekoa said:

I've always preached play ready to mine, but I do know a few girls when we get paired with them its bad, painful bad. So much so that I have my hit when she is ready because her and her dad take 10 mins to talk about everything under the sun before hitting the damn ball. 

• Like 3

I have to agree that 6 and 7 boys groups I have been with have been noticeably faster than the 8-9 girls during USKG tournaments.

My son I have to actually slow down.  He goes through his range bucket about 3x as fast as my daughter if I don't watch him close.

My daughter plays slower than my son, but plays fast compared to about half the girls we've been paired with.  One practice swing/rip it works for us in the box and fairways.  It seems like the 10-11 girls groups plays a bit faster than the 8-9s do--maybe it is just the experience difference?

not sure how many other's have seen this but with Girls you have a ton them pick up golf in High School and the dad's are also willing to do anything to help them.  A lot parents think there is easy scholarship money.

Some of them think I am nuts when I tell them that there really isn't any unused D1 Scholarship money and don't expect to just walk on to a team.

• Like 3

My kid has been playing tournaments 11 years and I have always thought the girls always play faster than boys. It wasn’t until my kid was 11 until our local Jr. Golf association made the switch to have the girls tee off first.  Too many boys believing they are Tiger or Bryson.

There are some unused D1 womens scholarships, but not from desirable schools. Women may go to the less desirable schools and the team may be full, yet the coaches have scholarship money available but won’t offer it to a player who is not worth it.. Easier to hand out later than pull it back if the player does not pan out.

• 2 weeks later...