TM SIM Max fairway- inconsistency

I have the SIM Max 15* fairway with the real deal Ventus Blue with Velocore.  Two questions:  (1) I seem to hit it further, and with less spin, off the deck than I do off the tee.  This has never been the case with other 3 woods.  (2) One day I will hit it great and be where my 3 wood should be or even past it.  Others, it balloons a bit and gets no roll and I am 15 yards behind where I normally am.  Anyone else seeing these differences?  I am coming from a TM R15 which trackman usually tells me spins more than these other 3 woods, yet when I get on the course the R15 rolls out 20 yards as compared to 5-10 yards with the newer woods.  

• Ping G400 - Tour shaft 8.4*
  • Taylormade SIM Max - Ventus Blue 7S w/ Velocore  15*
  • Ping G410 Hybrid - Ventus Blue 8S w/ Velocore 18*
  • Ping Crossover - Tour shaft 24*
  • Ping i210 - S300 5-P
  • Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth - 50*, 54*, 58*
  • PXG Gen 2 Mini Gunboat

Hard to tell from just that info. Could it be swing related? Assuming the club, nor ball, have changed from day to day, thats really the only variable (off a tee), right? 

Callaway Mavrik SZ - 10.5* - MCA Tensei AV White 75TX

Cobra SpeedZone "4" - 18* - Recoil SMAC 

Taylormade P760 - 4-PW - Modus 130

Vokey Wedges - 52/56 - DG AMT S300

Scotty GoLo5

On 9/1/2020 at 9:53 PM, jmurdock81 said:

I have the SIM Max 15* fairway with the real deal Ventus Blue with Velocore.  Two questions:  (1) I seem to hit it further, and with less spin, off the deck than I do off the tee.  This has never been the case with other 3 woods.  (2) One day I will hit it great and be where my 3 wood should be or even past it.  Others, it balloons a bit and gets no roll and I am 15 yards behind where I normally am.  Anyone else seeing these differences?  I am coming from a TM R15 which trackman usually tells me spins more than these other 3 woods, yet when I get on the course the R15 rolls out 20 yards as compared to 5-10 yards with the newer woods.  

That type of inconsistency most commonly comes from inconsistent or poor face impact location.   Which usually comes from a playing length that's too long or a shaft weight that's too light (which could also explain the extra distance when you do hit it well).

Get some foot powder spray and some high density lead tape and take the club to the range and follow Howard's DIY fitting tutorial to check and possibly fix the issue.  PS the title says for Driver but it's the same process for the fairway - or even hybrids.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@cjpsse and @Stuart_G  Face strikes are fairly centered each time.  I am a 0.6 handicap, pretty good ball striker and all balls found the fairway.  No wild hooks or slices.  Also, since the face is new, I can see where I am striking it.  In some of my testing, I would take 4-6 balls to a tee box and hit some off the ground and some off the tee.  I got varying results and mainly the ones off of a tee seemed to be shorter.  Makes no sense to me.  

• Ping i210 - S300 5-P
  • PXG Gen 2 Mini Gunboat

How strange! Did you have the same day-to-day distance discrepancy with the R15? I'm assuming not, as it wouldn't be a notable issue if it were the norm. 

Callaway Mavrik SZ - 10.5* - MCA Tensei AV White 75TX

Cobra SpeedZone "4" - 18* - Recoil SMAC 

Taylormade P760 - 4-PW - Modus 130

Vokey Wedges - 52/56 - DG AMT S300

Scotty GoLo5

@ajestrada3  The flight on both is very similar.  @cjpsse  You are correct.  No big discrepancy with the R15 day to day.  

I am playing tomorrow, so we will see how it goes.

• Ping i210 - S300 5-P
  • PXG Gen 2 Mini Gunboat

wonder if it's a tee height issue since you hit it better off the ground?  

TM M4 
Epic 15*
Sub70 3 hybrid
Sub70 4 hybrid
Sub70 5 hybrid
Titleist T200 6-GW
54* SM8
58* SM8
PXG Operator H

The only physical way that spin can be fluctuating how you're describing is either strike induced spin increase or more loft being presented. I would double check your strike locations with foot powder spray like Stuart mentioned, and also gather as many specs specs from your R15 as you can (length, swingweight, total weight, head weight, shaft weight) to compare. If you have regular access to Trackman as well then you can also check and compare dynamic loft with both clubs.  

Mizuno ST190 9.5* Diamana X'17 70XX || Taylormade M1 430 8.5* Tensei Pro Orange V2 70TX
Titleist 915FD 14.25* Kuro Kage 80XTS || Taylormade TP UDI 16* Kuro Kage 100XTS Hybrid
Titleist 915FD 17.25* Kuro Kage 90XTS || Titleist 818 H118.25* Diamana Kai'li s103x Prototype
Callaway X-Forged UT 20* Kuro Kage XT 100TX Hybrid || Taylormade RSI UDI 20* Kuro Kage 100XTS Hybrid
Callaway X-Forged UT 23* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 DPC 5i-7i 27*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey Mild Raw 8620 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Pro Platinum

Launch/spin conditions are probably more optimal when you don't use a tee.

R15 and SIM MAX are pretty different clubs too by design. If you liked the R15 ball flight and spin characteristics, you probably should have gone with SIM and not SIM MAX

Edited by MOShii
  • 2 weeks later...

@MOShii  Tried the SIM and SIM Max same day on trackman outdoors. Got better overall numbers with the Max, although only by a little.  Also liked the look and sound of the Max way better than the SIM.  

After playing in my first Club Championship match, I think all is good.  Hit the 3 wood 4 times and was right where I should be or a little farther.  Also caught one low on the face and it squirted out better than I could have asked for.  

• Ping i210 - S300 5-P
  • PXG Gen 2 Mini Gunboat

With the SIM MAX being a deeper head this video could be interesting to watch -

Taylormade M1 '17 9,5° UST Elements Platinum Prototype PT6F5
Callaway X-Hot Pro 15° Diamana Kai'li 70
Ping G410 Crossover 20° Tensei Blue 80 TX
Wilson Staff FG Tour V6 Irons 4-PW True Temper X100 AMT
Mizuno T5 52° & 56° True Temper Gold S300
Nike Method Core 01W

I love how the MAX feels when l hit the set spot and it's very long and straight for a 3W. When I mis it a little I get a low draw that runs and runs. Now my MAX is the 14* rocket with a stiff Fujikura Blue Ventus shaft as I'm very pleased with it.

I have the SIM Max in 15 degree, i have no issues with that, now i have a V2 in it. Only issues i have is me related. It is better then my M2 Tour, which i loved off the tee but not off the deck. The Sim i can hit in both areas well. 

TM M5 Tour 430 9 Mitsubishi Kai'li
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM SIM 19 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM TP UDI 2 iron 18 UST Recoil 110
TM GAPR Mid 4 iron 20 Fujikara Fuel
TM GAPR Mid 5 iron 23 Aldila RIP 
TM P790 6,7 Nippon Modus 3 130
TM P790 Black 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130
TM xFT TP 50 Nippon Pro WV115
TM Milled Grind Black Wedge 54 Nippon Pro Black WV115
TM Milled Grind Satin 58 Nippon Pro WV115
TM Rossa Ghost Tour AGSI+ FO-74

I drop the 2 iron or one of the other UDI's based on course.

I have a SIM max 16 and love it. I don’t see discrepancies at all unless I put a bad swing on it. It’s longer and straighter than my TS2 was. 

Driver: TaylorMade SIM Max
3 wood: TaylorMade SIM Max
5 wood: Titleist TS2
Irons: Mizuno mp 18 sc
Wedges: Vokey sm7 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2
Ball: Titleist Prov 1x

I had to warranty my beloved M6 3 wood a month ago and got the sim max as replacement. I’ve only had one range session so far but I struggled hitting it off the deck, which was what I loved about the m6. Off the tee it was point and shoot. Probably just need more practice with it but we’ll see. Might justify getting a sim ti 5 wood to try out.