Course not allowing 1 cart per person

NCLancer

When not walking on hotter days and playing with my wife we will share a cart as usual.  My golfing buddy and I have been each getting a cart this season due to Covid and the pace of pace with 1 per cart seems so much faster on less busy courses.  Last week playing with a friend he and I assumed we would each get a cart as we have at other courses all year.  However this course charges $10 for a second cart and we were unaware of the charge until checking in.  They used the excuse that they could run out of carts by the afternoon (we played Fri AM around 11).  Checking the carts at the turn showed ample carts available.  Was I wrong about feeling uncomfortable or unsafe?  Is the $10 fee a fair charge?  Are many other courses now eschewing the one cart per person rule?   Just wondering how others feel...Thanks in advance. 

I'm in NC and at my courses, if you sit in a cart during your round,you pay a cart fee. Even if you are paired or arrived with your partner. I always thought this was normal. It was that was before covid and it's still that way now. When covid gave us all our own carts, chopped an hour off our round.

• Like 1

This is fairly common once courses allowed more play during pandemic.

Pre-pandemic, some courses charged riders (non-golfers) a fee  when they accompanied a golf threesome.

• Like 1

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

My experience in Texas so far since Covid; only once been told I had to go in a cart with another person(friend) and that was only due to them having about 4 carts left. 

I have never been charged more.

• Like 2
  • Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

Charging each person more for each person having his own cart isn't actually the same as "not allowing 1 cart per person". You really mean they aren't doing it for free any more. 

I'd imagine a lot of course did not charge extra early on but now that the courses are packed and there's no end in sight to the "temporary" measures most of them probably decided to go ahead and charge like the would have pre-COVID. In a lot of the country, golf is somewhat of a seller market at the moment. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, RainShadow said:

I get that revenues are down, but if the facility is going to practice social distancing and all the other prophylactic stuff for Covid, why would they stick two strangers in the same cart, or charge extra as a single. Kind of a joke, and a disingenuous way to get some revenue IMO.

At the local courses here, revenues aren't down. It's been the best spring and summer in years. That's why I think they're not going to offer any special pricing for single-player carts. Charging what the market will bear.

You say "disingenuous" as though it's some kind of trick or deceptive. For most courses, charging more when two golfers each want their two carts has been the usual practice since forever. Continuing to do that now isn't "disingenuous" at all. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, RainShadow said:

I get that revenues are down, but if the facility is going to practice social distancing and all the other prophylactic stuff for Covid, why would they stick two strangers in the same cart, or charge extra as a single. Kind of a joke, and a disingenuous way to get some revenue IMO.

I agree in that 2 non-household members in the same cart should not be an option at all.  So the fee should be based on 1 per cart.  Maybe offer a discount to household members that can pair up in a cart.

• Like 1

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

In the Lincoln/Omaha area individuals getting their own cart was not an option until Covid. When COVID started everybody got their own cart for no additional charge, and rounds went significantly faster. Even late morning weekend tee times went from 5.5 to 4 hours, it was great. 

Now a mask mandate is still in effect but they charge extra for a 4some to have 4 carts. Round times are back at or above 5 hours for 9a weekend tee times. It is unfortunate but I understand that send 4 carts instead of 2 carts out cost more money. More wear and tear, fuel, labor for staging, cleaning and putting away. 

If anything good comes out of COVID I hope it is more people walking the golf course because I think asking for tee time intervals at 10+ is just not going to happen (even though it leads to more revenue). 

Driver: Ping G410 LST (Diamana ZF)
5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Ventus Blue HB)
or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

2 hours ago, brew4eagle said:

I agree in that 2 non-household members in the same cart should not be an option at all.  So the fee should be based on 1 per cart.  Maybe offer a discount to household members that can pair up in a cart.

So one course charges $15 per person for sharing a cart or add on $10 per person for separate carts.

Another course charges $25 per person for separate carts or discounts it $10 for sharing.

There is literally no difference. Either way it's $15 to share or $25 to ride.

At our course and courses in the Tampa Bay area I'm pretty sure that sharing a cart with someone other than a direct family member is a violation of emergency orders due to COVID.  Our course even has signs that they put on the carts when family members are sharing that say they are direct family members.  They do not charge anything extra for separate carts even if family members choose to ride separately.  

• Like 1

Ping G400 max
Ping G410 5 wood
Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

Titleist T350 irons
54* & 58* Sub70 JB Wedges
PXG Operator H w/ BGT stability tour shaft or  SIK FLO C with LAGP shaft

So you're mad that you have to pay an extra fee for taking an extra cart?  Extra oil/gas or charging, wear and tear, etc but don't think that you should have to pay an extra fee? There are expenses to running golf courses.

• Like 1

Epic Speed LS 🔷🔷🔷 9* Hzrdus Hulk Smoke 6.5TX 
X Hot 3 Deep 14.5* Matrix Ozik 8M2 X Flex
Nike Vapor Fly Pro 2 KBS 105X
T-MB 4 PX LS 7.0

Nike VR Pro Combo Pocket Cavity 5 Iron, 6-9 Blades Oban 125X
RTX Zip Core 46 Oban 125X

Vokey 50M KBS Tour 130X

Vokey 54V KBS Tour 130X

Vokey 60M KBS Tour 130X
Champions Choice Newport Plus MMT 135

2 hours ago, North Butte said:

So one course charges $15 per person for sharing a cart or add on $10 per person for separate carts.

Another course charges $25 per person for separate carts or discounts it $10 for sharing.

There is literally no difference. Either way it's $15 to share or $25 to ride.

My main point was that sharing carts with a stranger shouldn't be an option

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

I think the policies are a bit all over the map right now.  Some course policies some probably due to differences in local regulations, and probably liability.

I've seen defaults of shared carts, 1 per cart, and walking only rate where carts are extra.   I've seen shared carts with proof of same household (or you sign something attesting to it).

If a shared cart is assumed, I don't think $10 for a second one is unreasonable.   One of my playing partners paid $20 for his, which seems to be the going rate here.

32 minutes ago, brew4eagle said:

My main point was that sharing carts with a stranger shouldn't be an option

I think that totally depends on local and state ordinances.

In many places it would not be an option but over the last couple months those restrictions have been relaxed in others. I suppose there are a few jurisdictions which never restricted cart sharing. 

I work in an ER. I have no idea if I've been exposed or have the ability to communicate the virus to others day to day.

I'm sure there are many out there who, if they really thought about it  ( do you work with the public?) are in the same position as I.

I take a separate cart and I explain my reasoning, I don't want to expose others unknowingly.

If they want to charge me extra while at the same time requiring masks in the clubhouse and no rakes in the bunkers ( which the don't maintain) and all the other nonsense I see going on, then I'll take my $$ elsewhere.

• Like 2

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

If it a local ordinance to split into individual carts the cost should be higher proportional to those born by the course. If it is not a local ordinance it should be a profit generator should someone want to ride alone. 

just my opinion. Although as said before walking should be everyone’s default method of travel on the course

11 minutes ago, North Butte said:

Please let's leave GolfWRX as one of the few places blessedly free of political stuff. Please.

It's only political from a golf course's nonsensical "policy" perspective.  Must wear masks inside, no rakes, no touching flagstick, but sure share a cart with a stranger or pay extra.

Edited by brew4eagle
  • Like 1

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

5 hours ago, Stetson said:

In the Lincoln/Omaha area individuals getting their own cart was not an option until Covid. When COVID started everybody got their own cart for no additional charge, and rounds went significantly faster. Even late morning weekend tee times went from 5.5 to 4 hours, it was great. 

Now a mask mandate is still in effect but they charge extra for a 4some to have 4 carts. Round times are back at or above 5 hours for 9a weekend tee times. It is unfortunate but I understand that send 4 carts instead of 2 carts out cost more money. More wear and tear, fuel, labor for staging, cleaning and putting away. 

If anything good comes out of COVID I hope it is more people walking the golf course because I think asking for tee time intervals at 10+ is just not going to happen (even though it leads to more revenue). 

This is very interesting. I've heard elsewhere on WRX about rounds being faster since the "1 person per cart" and I've experienced the same.

Since "slow play" is THE single most cited reason more people don't play more often, I'm wondering if somebody will do a real study on whether or not it is financially feasible for the golf course to buy more carts to keep doing a 1 to a cart policy.

And if it really catches on is financially beneficial to the golf course they may even go to new carts that hold only a single person/bag. Smaller, cheaper to build, lower fuel costs, etc.

It is certainly much faster for a player to get going by himself rather than waiting for his cart partner, especially since they're often heading for 2 (really) different places.

I mean faster play = more players = more participation = more revenue = better overall for the game.

Surely someone, at some point, will come along and crunch the numbers,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

• Like 2

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

A course here in Omaha has 4 PHAT bikes and they are pretty cool.  More importantly whichever group is using them plays FAST.   They appear to be priced at half the cost of a golf cart for purchase (not per round, but to actually buy), which would mean similar cost per 100 riders.  There are obviously fleet discounts for both modes of transportation that would need to be considered.  I also would imagine that liability insurance would be higher if folks are on scooters instead of inside carts.

Studies show that more rounds are played with 12 minute increments than 8 minute increments, but I would imagine that 8 minute increments would be much more pleasant for all if individual carts were used by players.  There are many different single rider options out there.  But as with most things in business the established relationship prevents new ideas from quick adoption.  It will take local golf cart fleet businesses making the switch and pushing it on to the courses, more so than courses bringing it upon themselves.   IMO

One more thing, a "study" was done showing that folks play 20% faster if everybody has their own cart.  So that would take 5 hours down to 4, or 4 down to 3:12 ... substantial if the study is accurate. 

Edited by Stetson

29 minutes ago, Stetson said:

A course here in Omaha has 4 PHAT bikes and they are pretty cool.  More importantly whichever group is using them plays FAST.   They appear to be priced at half the cost of a golf cart for purchase (not per round, but to actually buy), which would mean similar cost per 100 riders.  There are obviously fleet discounts for both modes of transportation that would need to be considered.  I also would imagine that liability insurance would be higher if folks are on scooters instead of inside carts.

Studies show that more rounds are played with 12 minute increments than 8 minute increments, but I would imagine that 8 minute increments would be much more pleasant for all if individual carts were used by players.  There are many different single rider options out there.  But as with most things in business the established relationship prevents new ideas from quick adoption.  It will take local golf cart fleet businesses making the switch and pushing it on to the courses, more so than courses bringing it upon themselves.   IMO

One more thing, a "study" was done showing that folks play 20% faster if everybody has their own cart.  So that would take 5 hours down to 4, or 4 down to 3:12 ... substantial if the study is accurate. 

Never heard of Phat golf carts but I can tell you 2 wheels, or even 3, ain't gonna fly.

I'd think the liability insurance for the course would be way too high.

And the "fancier" single person carts with 4 wheels would probably be too costly. Seems to me the generic EZ-GO or equivalent would be the "go to" option. That said, looking at a typical one I'm not sure the insurance companies would be too wild about the stability of that one either. Guess time will tell. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hcbb71ce23d074a0bbd0a334057524f8az.jpg

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

I am sure the 2 wheel issue is very real in insurance, which is why I brought it up.  With tires that are extremely wide, center of gravity within 12" of the ground and other design features it may be low enough of a difference to absorb in exchange for more rounds of golf and/or higher fees.

• Haha 1

Once the covid restrictions were relaxed our course moved back to 10 min tee times and double occupancy carts.  There are some carts with dividers if individuals would like, however single carts are not permitted.  We simply do not have enough carts (approx 70) for everyone to have their own carts.  With the boom in golf many days there are no open tee times until late afternoon.  Depending on pace of play we start running low on carts around 11am and are sending them right back out as soon as they come in (carts down needing maintenance, early arrivals at driving range, etc).  When we had to offer single rider carts the tee sheet was adjusted to 15 min intervals which removed a significant amount of tee times from the daily book so I cannot fault courses that do not allow single riders.  

• Like 1