Course not allowing 1 cart per person

NCLancer

I think, it is what it is as far as being charged.  Before Covid, if we rode together, we each paid the cart fee of $15, we didnt SPLIT the $15 and you couldnt ride in your own.  It's kind of BS BUT, I'm playing golf, so I don't care.  If I care enough, I walk.  

That said, I played Westridge CC out in La Habra, CA about a month ago.  I was part of a threesome where the other two guys I play with are older (I'm 42, they are late 60s early 70s).  We were given a 4th who had his own cart, my older friend in his 70s got his own but they literally forced me and my other friend to ride together.  I asked for my own, they said NO as they had a tournament later on in the day and were trying to save them.  No protective barrier, nothing.  I thought it was pretty shyttie of them... I'm not so worried about myself but I am more concerned for my older friends who shouldn't have to be put in that position in these times.  

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

A lot of the reasons have been covered.  Right now we arw one of the few courses in our area not charging for single rider option.   But that will likely change.   

yes we have gone to 12 minute times from 9.  But we are running 225 to 230 rounds s day on a capacity of 240.  We have 75 carts for that.  Minus a few always down for repair.   So you can see running out of carts around 11:00 AM  is a true fsct, not an excuse.  

Add in the already mentioned expense of gas, labor, routine maintenance and cleaning.  The wear and tear of 16 wheels on every fairway instead of 8.   All that considered. How do you expect not to have to share those expenses.  Its not fair to walkers and those who do share to pay higher greens fees.  

its simple.  If you want convenience, comfort and privacy, then be willing to pay for it. 

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

1 minute ago, Carolina Golfer 2 said:

its simple.  If you want convenience, comfort and privacy, then be willing to pay for it. 

And at the risk of belaboring the point...be willing to pay 10 or 15 bucks for it. Compared to typical green fees or club dues, that is not a ton of money.

• Like 3

The point isn't whether or not you choose/pay for the 'convenience' during a pandemic.  Courses should be required to have only 1 rider/cart for non-household members.  If that means more people are forced to walk, courses have to buy more carts, tee time availability goes down, and/or prices go up then so be it.  The golf operation considerations shouldn't outweigh public health considerations.  This isn't a convenience issue.

Edited by brew4eagle

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

I'd gladly pay an extra $10 to avoid sharing a cart with a stranger.

The problem with the divider is that if we are in a situation where it normally makes sense for the driver to get out, hit his ball, and walk up to the green while I as the passenger slide over and drive the cart to the greenside path since I'm already on, not only do I have to get out of the cart and walk around it to take over, but I'm getting my germs all over his side of the cart. The divider only makes sense if the driver and passenger agree not to swap seats at any point during the round, which wastes time and can make the round a little longer. Also, if the driver becomes incapacitated or is drunk and does something stupid (we are talking about a stranger I have no influence over), now I can't reach the steering wheel.

Edited by Bonneville85308

23 hours ago, capking said:

In Alberta I’ve only found 2 courses that make you pair up, they didn’t offer an extra cost for single use. I also didn’t think to ask... I’m playing one of them tomorrow but I’m just going to walk it.

Turns out all I had to do was ask, for $4 more you get your own. Easy decision.

On 9/3/2020 at 4:02 PM, brew4eagle said:

The point isn't whether or not you choose/pay for the 'convenience' during a pandemic.  Courses should be required to have only 1 rider/cart for non-household members.  If that means more people are forced to walk, courses have to buy more carts, tee time availability goes down, and/or prices go up then so be it.  The golf operation considerations shouldn't outweigh public health considerations.  This isn't a convenience issue.

Keep in mind this is world wide forum it make sense not every course will have the same rules as the public health issue being faced could be very different depending on country, region and public health strategy. 

Edited by 2bGood
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, 2bGood said:

Keep in mind this is world wide forum it make sense not every course will have the same rules as the public health issue being faced could be very different depending on country, region and public health strategy. 

True, I'm referring to CONUS for clarity.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

On 9/1/2020 at 10:08 PM, NCLancer said:

When not walking on hotter days and playing with my wife we will share a cart as usual.  My golfing buddy and I have been each getting a cart this season due to Covid and the pace of pace with 1 per cart seems so much faster on less busy courses.  Last week playing with a friend he and I assumed we would each get a cart as we have at other courses all year.  However this course charges $10 for a second cart and we were unaware of the charge until checking in.  They used the excuse that they could run out of carts by the afternoon (we played Fri AM around 11).  Checking the carts at the turn showed ample carts available.  Was I wrong about feeling uncomfortable or unsafe?  Is the $10 fee a fair charge?  Are many other courses now eschewing the one cart per person rule?   Just wondering how others feel...Thanks in advance. 

I feel MUCH safer with my own cart.  Riding with someone puts you a couple feet away from their face.  I think $10 is reasonable, and money well spent.  If you share a cart with a friend or stranger you should both, at the very least, wear masks while in the cart.  

• Like 2

In Ohio, golfers have the option to request their own cart and the course cannot technically tell them no due to the rules that have been put into place by the state. The issue is now golfers are requesting single carts because they can play faster, and not because they are worried about COVID. This is why golf courses have started to charge extra for taking a single cart. It's frustrating when you see 4 guys ask for single carts and then they sit down and eat lunch together after they play. Yes, single carts improve pace of play but some courses simply don't have the storage for that many golf carts. If you are really concerned about COVID, you should have no issue paying an extra fee for your own cart. At the course I work at, we have over 200+ players on the tee sheet everyday and we are running out of carts by 11:00 am due to single riders. This has put a burden on our members because now they have to stand around and wait for other players to finish and return their cart.  

On 9/5/2020 at 4:53 PM, CbusPGA91 said:

In Ohio, golfers have the option to request their own cart and the course cannot technically tell them no due to the rules that have been put into place by the state. The issue is now golfers are requesting single carts because they can play faster, and not because they are worried about COVID. This is why golf courses have started to charge extra for taking a single cart. It's frustrating when you see 4 guys ask for single carts and then they sit down and eat lunch together after they play. Yes, single carts improve pace of play but some courses simply don't have the storage for that many golf carts. If you are really concerned about COVID, you should have no issue paying an extra fee for your own cart. At the course I work at, we have over 200+ players on the tee sheet everyday and we are running out of carts by 11:00 am due to single riders. This has put a burden on our members because now they have to stand around and wait for other players to finish and return their cart.  

Everything you said X2 for us as we are 36 holes.  400 plus rounds, solid booked tee sheets from 7 am to 6 PM. 

The early morning groups of 12 to 20 players tsking single carts and doing the post round bet settling Over coffee(and not even buying food) was the last straw.   We told them no more single carts for (groups) and we closed our grill.  We asked them twice to space out and think about buying something to eat nist out of respect.  They complained a Hot Dog, Soda and chips for $5.00 was outrageous ?

What are you going to do. 

Vokey

Unless (no charge) single carts are mandated by State health officials, most courses will charge for a single cart, it's normal in most states.  As to feeling unsafe, that is subjective and if that's how you feel best conduct more thorough due diligence when setting up tee times. 

Time time spread during mandates forced 10-12 min spread in TT.    Now that mandates are moving back towards normal, TT spreads are gradually moving back to 7-8min as well.  So let the pace of play whining begin.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

You are bound to get the Virus guys. Just like a cold, it will eventually get to you. They are doing the social distancing to slow the spread so that hospitals dont get over whelmed with a lot of people getting sick at one time. Sorta like what happened in the beginning of this thing. Now back to the topic. Pretty crazy how the golf courses are charging that but I am not surprised. They are making up for the fact that only one rider is using the cart. Oh well what can we do.  Stay safe golfwrxers but dont live in a cave. Just use proper hygiene because the person next to you is probably not.  

Edited by llewol007

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

Even better... save $40 over those riding solo and walk it

• Like 2

Driver: Ping G410 LST (Diamana ZF)
5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Ventus Blue HB)
or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

1 hour ago, Hook'n'Loop said:

Golf carts will soon be single rider vehicles.  Should have been for years.

most do not realize how much they slow down the game. On Saturday we played behind a group of 5 walking at a muni. We finished in under 4 hours. 

Driver: Ping G410 LST (Diamana ZF)
5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Ventus Blue HB)
or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

I mean, you could always walk or take a push cart, right? (If you feel uncomfortable)

If a course has 80 carts and everyone takes their own (based on 10 minute tee times gap) they will be out of carts in just over 3 hours.  

Yes, you should pay for your own cart.   The reason may be different (Covid) but the logic is still the same.  

It is really interesting to hear the amount of people that think a cart is a right.  There are several courses in CO, OH and MN that are going to move away from carts or move to a single rider cart (FYI, these are motorcycle type or surf-board type models)... I’m sure they will keep a couple of the standard models for handicap use, but they aren’t required to. 

In Hilton Head, the pros looked at my buddy and I and said one cart for you guys.  They were running out of carts, not an issue.  We shared the cart, if we were concerned about the virus, one of us would walk a couple of holes then switch.  

90% of the time, the people demanding to have their own cart will be hanging out on top of their friends in the parking lot anyway.  

Edited by Ivyguy
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Ivyguy said:

I mean, you could always walk or take a push cart, right? (If you feel uncomfortable)

If a course has 80 carts and everyone takes their own (based on 10 minute tee times gap) they will be out of carts in just over 3 hours.  

Yes, you should pay for your own cart.   The reason may be different (Covid) but the logic is still the same.  

It is really interesting to hear the amount of people that think a cart is a right.  There are several courses in CO, OH and MN that are going to move away from carts or move to a single rider cart (FYI, these are motorcycle type or surf-board type models)... I’m sure they will keep a couple of the standard models for handicap use, but they aren’t required to. 

In Hilton Head, the pros looked at my buddy and I and said one cart for you guys.  They were running out of carts, not an issue.  We shared the cart, if we were concerned about the virus, one of us would walk a couple of holes then switch.  

90% of the time, the people demanding to have their own cart will be hanging out on top of their friends in the parking lot anyway.  

Man speaks the truth. Carts aren't a right and if you are so worried walk your lazy a**

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Gsea said:

Man speaks the truth. Carts aren't a right and if you are so worried walk your lazy a**

I mean, it’s not their job to make us feel safe.  They are doing it to sell rounds.  

just like anything else, protect and take care of yourself. If you don’t want to play because you feel unsafe, then don’t play.  

I think most of the course are doing a good job, but it is on US to ensure our health/safety.... Not a couple of golf pros that are reading the same mountain of information that we all are.  

I want everyone to be safe and enjoy our great game.  Everyone demanding their own cart would never end if it becomes the norm, and it’s not very sustainable (as seen in this thread alone). 

How many people are wearing masks on the course?  I am not, it’s 90 degrees and 60% humidity here.  I would die from THAT, lol. 

be safe everyone.  Also, be careful with the hand sanitizer, it will wreck your grips.  

11 hours ago, Ivyguy said:

Everything about this post is so spot on.  Especially the last part about a foursome gathering around each other for beers! 

• Like 1

Vokey

Would rather walk if allowed. I try to golf late in the day. There usually is no one there to share a cart and really most of the time it is a blast to play alone.No hacker yelling about his bad shot or looking for his ball all day. Listen to music and play at your pace.It does not get any better. PS- The Pro shops all have a mask policy to walk in to pay so why should I ride with a person that I don’t know. 

Edited by pup142
Bad spelling

Some courses in CA are charging extra for single riders and usually $10 for a single rider.  One course in Carlsbad, CA, a city owned course was going to charge $25 extra for a single cart.  I sent a message to the Parks and Rec comish and he was unaware of the plan.  While the course in owned by the city it is managed by a private company that manages a number of courses in So Cal.  I asked how could they charge an extra $25 per cart at a time when COVID is on the rise and taking a single cart was in everyone's best interest.  He promptly stopped the planned surcharge in it's tracks and we can still ride solo for no upcharge.  The only negative is the course will try to force people to take an old cart without GPS which in and of itself is discriminatory.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

One course I play has a sign posted that says if a member in your group from your booked tee time requests their own cart the will be a $7 extra fee. If we pair up an outside player to your group and you want your own cart there will be no fee. 

This is the way I think it should be. In my group we always ride together to the course and eat afterwards. I don't see a reason to ride in seperate carts except that is speeds up play but that isn't the reason a single cart is offered. 

I totally disagree with being charged an extra fee for a cart when the course adds a stranger to your group and you now feel that you need a separate cart. The course created this situation. 

Being a walker I haven't had to deal with this but I hear the complaints in the club house more so about the charge when a group finds out they have been paired up.