PXG price slashing..

They are dropping their prices by a decent amount even on the gen3 stuff. From my position they seem to be all over the place these days. This feel like furniture store sell off to me. 

https://www.pxg.com/en-us?gclid=Cj0KCQjwhb36BRCfARIsAKcXh6G-Ph-5JU1WX7EZYXpaL0kn7PRiJ378ek2Siu7utBeME3egpErhNBwaAkcwEALw_wcB

• Haha 1

Driver: Taylormade SIM 9 Project X Green 60TX

Fairway Finder: Taylormade Original One 13.5 Ventus Red 9X
Taylormade Gapr low 2 ventus blue 9x
4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
Wedges 50, 54, 60 Cleveland ZIPCORE
PUTTER; Kronos release long neck
BALL; Bridgestone BX, OR Taylomade TP5x PIX

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Because Bob Parsons said they are...       

Not a chance they go out of business.   What a horrible statement to make on a public forum.  There are many high end golf manufactures doing really well right now.  Golf popularity is higher now with

They  need to keep slashing until theres nothing left. 4 to pw is still $2000. No iron set is worth over $1200 max to me. Too many good deals from $475 and up to spend $2000 and thats the sale... new

I feel like they have been 'extending' the sale for like 4 months now lol, not a bad deal. Stock shafts are whack, wish they didn't charge so much for a any basic shaft 

• Like 1

Taylormade M5 10.5* - Diamana DF 70 TX 

Taylormade JetSpeed TP 3HL 17* - Aldila Tour Green 95 TX 

Srixon Z U85 20* - Aldila Rogue Black 105 TX

Mizuno MP18 SC - KBS C Taper 130 X 

Vokey SM7 - DG S400 

Scotty NP2 

They  need to keep slashing until theres nothing left. 4 to pw is still $2000. No iron set is worth over $1200 max to me. Too many good deals from $475 and up to spend $2000 and thats the sale... new they might have been $4000. For $4000 they better hit automatic draws and cuts that go in the hole everytime ?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
17 minutes ago, iNeedMoreGolf said:

They  need to keep slashing until theres nothing left. 4 to pw is still $2000. No iron set is worth over $1200 max to me. Too many good deals from $475 and up to spend $2000 and thats the sale... new they might have been $4000. For $4000 they better hit automatic draws and cuts that go in the hole everytime ?

all new offerings from Mizuno and TM are more than that ($1200) standard steel now.  

• Like 3

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 10.5* Hzrdus smoke black 60g
Irons: PXG 0311 4-PW, Steelfiber 95
Hybrids: PXG 0317X 17*, 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: Ping Vault 2.0 Ketcsh (solid black)  
Bag: Mizuno K1-LO white/staff blue (something new is coming, cant decide.)
Ball: Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

16 minutes ago, jol said:

They make a good product, but so do many other OEMs.  I'm going to guess that at their premium pricing, they just couldn't compete.

Theyve been doing massive sales numbers per a rep I talked with especially since been doing the Heroes pricing for everyone.  They were 3-4 weeks backed up for Gen3 and theyre not discounted that much when you consider shaft upcharge of now $39.   In comparison other golf co sell at what 75-80% of MSRP to big box retailers?     They just have no middleman except for rep that does fitting.  As a lefty I cant even get Gen2 anymore

Edited by ssfranny

Are ju calling me a liar?... lol

Sorry i was $100 off... its better then $2000+ still. I got a set of epic irons from a few years ago brand new for $475. Those were i think $2000+ plus when they came out.  I can honestly say they are absolutely not worth $2000+... they dont do anything different or better then any other irons have.

Damn - I'm kinda bummed that I picked up my set at the previous pricing!  Coulda saved $500!  That said, these are an amazing set of irons IF they have your shafts in stock.  If they do not - these clubs kinda suck to tinker with (shims, odd "tip weights", insert material, etc.)

That said, these are an amazing set of irons.

From a driving reason perspective, I'd guess that PXG is just looking to grab marketshare during the Covid equipment boom when other manufacturers are supply chain limited.

• Like 2

Love my Gen3 irons and my new Proto driver.  I have no problem paying 2k for my iron sent.  They are really outstanding made and to me some of the best looking irons out their.   PXG is doing great business during Covid.  The fitter by my brother in law in FL has no reservation until end of Sept.   I would not call it slashed pricing though, as Gen 3 irons are still pricey, but are worth it to me.  

The standard shaft I got in my irons and driver is more than some other individual clubs and my local fitter really does a great job and they also have a 30 day return policy.  Not many other mfg’s offer that.  

Edited by GFish
  • Like 1
20 minutes ago, Dawgdude said:

I am new to golf: why is PXG at such a premium? Better product?  More exclusive?  $2k is a whole lot of scratch! 

That's their niche... premium priced clubs that pack in a lot of tech... Are they better? I've never seen anyone claim they are (including PXG)... 

They have a great fitting program though, and they look cool.

As of 6/5/20

9.5 Cobra LTD Pro with Aldila Silver 110

13 Degree Adams Speedline with Aldila Alpha 

18 Degree Adams A12 with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5 iron Sub70 639 CB with S400

6-PW Adams CMB with Project X 6.0

50, 54, 60 Vokeys

Tank Counter Balance #7 

Just now, Qwiklap said:

That proto driver is a great price.  Is it any good?

There is a whole thread on it. It’s really good it sounds like. Going to get fit for one myself. 

PXG 0811X+ Proto GD AD TP 5S
TM M4 15* AD DI 6S Black
PXG Gen2 0317x 19* Fuji Pro 83s
PXG 0211 4 Modus 120S

PXG Gen3 0311T 5-GW Modus 120S
TM MG2 54*
TM HT 60*
TM MySpider X

It all depends on one's definition of better. Better for me, might not be better for you. My handicap is the lowest it's ever been using PXG clubs, and I'm thrilled since I started using them a few years back. PXG has been very savvy this year in clearing out their stock through the year-long sale. Next generation driver, fairways and hybrids are going to be released soon. If configured correctly, getting one of the Proto driver heads for $379 is an absolute steal. 

Just now, snagy2000 said:

It all depends on one's definition of better. Better for me, might not be better for you. My handicap is the lowest it's ever been using PXG clubs, and I'm thrilled since I started using them a few years back. PXG has been very savvy this year in clearing out their stock through the year-long sale. Next generation driver, fairways and hybrids are going to be released soon. If configured correctly, getting one of the Proto driver heads for $379 is an absolute steal. 

I looked and my biggest negative was they didn't have a stock shaft I was interested in.

As of 6/5/20

9.5 Cobra LTD Pro with Aldila Silver 110

13 Degree Adams Speedline with Aldila Alpha 

18 Degree Adams A12 with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5 iron Sub70 639 CB with S400

6-PW Adams CMB with Project X 6.0

50, 54, 60 Vokeys

Tank Counter Balance #7 

5 minutes ago, OspreyCI said:

There is a whole thread on it. It’s really good it sounds like. Going to get fit for one myself. 

Can you link the thread?  I ran a search but mostly found WTB and archived BST threads.

Edited by Qwiklap
4 minutes ago, Myherobobhope said:

I looked and my biggest negative was they didn't have a stock shaft I was interested in.

Don't let that limit you. Call them and see if they have one you like. A lot of times they don't have all the shaft listed on their website. worst case scenario buy the standard diamana s+ for no upcharge, sell it, and use the proceeds to offset the shaft you want. Also, go to TXG's YouTube and find the Proto driver review they did a few months back. Gives good info on the Proto X. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, QuigleyDU said:

The marketing and free market aspects are undeniable, however that's obviously not the whole story.  Whether it leads to a better product is subjective, BUT, they do employ manufacturing steps, processes, materials, etc. - that other manufacturers do not.  They also do this at a smaller scale than the big OEMs.  I believe Johnny Wonder did a piece on the number of dies they use for each iron, the cost of each die, number of strikes during forging, etc.  When you add things like additional machining (club head faces, threads for weight screws), to the forging dies / steps, and R&D they put in - things add up quickly.

Playing devils advocate, you can claim they just inflate margins, however as they're a private company, that's entirely speculation.  You can argue that even if the margins are the same, and manufacturing costs are actually more, then the consumer is paying for inefficiency - that could be true depending on your assessment of the quality of the final product.  I'm not sure if I believe either of those, but definitely areas one could question.

At the end of the day, they're really good products in an industry where people pay $80 for a plastic polo shirt, $150 for tiny "bespoke" divot tools, and $3k for a milled putter because it has a Circle T on it.  PXG is certainly capitalizing on that (as is the basis of our great country), but no more so than any other company in the industry.

• Like 2

Agree, OP.   Seems like a continuous going-out-of-business sale like furniture stores until every item is finally sold.  Probably fully liquidated by this time next year.  Just not a place in golf any longer for a little niche company unless you're willing to accept you'll never be big and so you just focus on running a really small, profitable company.    Nothing wrong with that.

Edited by Ruleschamp
  • Sad 1
45 minutes ago, MysteryV said:

The marketing and free market aspects are undeniable, however that's obviously not the whole story.  Whether it leads to a better product is subjective, BUT, they do employ manufacturing steps, processes, materials, etc. - that other manufacturers do not.  They also do this at a smaller scale than the big OEMs.  I believe Johnny Wonder did a piece on the number of dies they use for each iron, the cost of each die, number of strikes during forging, etc.  When you add things like additional machining (club head faces, threads for weight screws), to the forging dies / steps, and R&D they put in - things add up quickly.

Playing devils advocate, you can claim they just inflate margins, however as they're a private company, that's entirely speculation.  You can argue that even if the margins are the same, and manufacturing costs are actually more, then the consumer is paying for inefficiency - that could be true depending on your assessment of the quality of the final product.  I'm not sure if I believe either of those, but definitely areas one could question.

At the end of the day, they're really good products in an industry where people pay $80 for a plastic polo shirt, $150 for tiny "bespoke" divot tools, and $3k for a milled putter because it has a Circle T on it.  PXG is certainly capitalizing on that (as is the basis of our great country), but no more so than any other company in the industry.

Never criticized them. The question was asked if they were better. The owner of the company says they are. 

I would say they are on par with everyone else. Good but not so much better as the price “may” make someone think. The price equates to more status symbol the performance.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, QuigleyDU said:

I believe the term Bob used was "they're the duck's nuts".

• Like 1

W/S Cortex 10.5*
W/S C300 15*
W/S C300 20*/23*
WS FG Tour 5-P
W/S PMP 52/56/60
TM Patina Juno

25 minutes ago, QuigleyDU said:

Never criticized them. The question was asked if they were better. The owner of the company says they are. 

I would say they are on par with everyone else. Good but not so much better as the price “may” make someone think. The price equates to more status symbol the performance.

I agree with you for the most part (and tend to agree with many of your posts and perspectives).  I personally think they're amazing, but as I explain it to my friends "I like expensive stuff, and while I think these are the best out there, you can probably get 95% of the performance with T100s for 50% the price"

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, MysteryV said:

I agree with you for the most part (and tend to agree with many of your posts and perspectives).  I personally think they're amazing, but as I explain it to my friends "I like expensive stuff, and while I think these are the best out there, you can probably get 95% of the performance with T100s for 50% the price"

For sure. I think that are really good. Are they better than mizuno, titleist, callaway etc?? Hard to say. 

I would never bad mouth anyone that bought them. At least not to their face. Haha

All I can say about the PXG is that I have asked 6 or 7 people that have them in their bag how the liked them and each one said the best they ever hit. Good players as well. One said he parked the woods because they didn’t work for him but the irons were pure gold.

I will check them out when I next shop for irons.

• Like 2

Srixon z785 Miyazaki 5544
Taylor Made M6 14.5 Rocket Atmos
Taylor Made SIM 5W Diamana Limited
Taylor Made 4, 5 GAP-HI Hybrids KBS 
Srixon z785 6-PW Nippon Tour 105
Cobra Black MIM 50, 54, 58 Nippon Tour 105
Scotty Cameron Futura X 8
TP5X, Pro V1X

I have been gaming Gen 3 irons, Gen2 Hybrids, Proto Driver and  Gen 2 FW Wood. Also have a putter.  Hands down the irons are the best I’ve ever owned. The hybrids and 5 Wood are also fantastic.  Putter is great also.  I think it’s great that they have lowered prices so that more can game them. 

• Like 1