PXG price slashing..

QuigleyDU

I would agree that the up charge for shafts seems tacky. Maybe it wouldn’t bother me as much if I didn’t look at the same shafts a month or two ago and there was not an up charge. 

In my mind they said, “hurry up and buy before the discount is removed!” Then they said, “just kidding! We’ll keep a discounted price.” But then started up charging for shafts that are no up charge with any other brands. It kind of cheapens the brand, for me, because it feels slimy and gimmicky. Bums me out because I had convinced myself of buying the 0311Ts and then that put me off and I’m looking at all the other options. 

5 hours ago, Myherobobhope said:

That's their niche... premium priced clubs that pack in a lot of tech... Are they better? I've never seen anyone claim they are (including PXG)... 

They have a great fitting program though, and they look cool.

Bleh.  They look like a piece of scrap steel that someone learned how to use a rivet gun.

• Like 2

Mark - Havin fun in the AZ sun

• Driver - Callaway Rogue 10.5* Aldila Synergy Reg
  • 4W - Callaway Rogue 15* Aldila Quaranta Reg
  • 4H - Callaway Mavrik Max 21* Project X Catalyst Reg
  • Irons - Taylormade P790 4-PW UST Recoil 780 | F4 SMACWRAP Stiff
  • GW - Titleist Vokey 50*
  • SW - Titleist Vokey 54*
  • LW - Titleist Vokey 58*
  • Putter - Taylormade Spider Tour Black
  • Grips - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360

To be fair, it's all perceived value right. When you pay a lot of money for something, you better believe that they are the best thing ever.

It's just human nature. It's like when people are served frozen food at a fancy restaurant and they rate the food as amazing.

I'm scheduling an appointment to get fitted for the 0211s, if I can't use the stock shafts, forget it.

13 hours ago, MysteryV said:

The marketing and free market aspects are undeniable, however that's obviously not the whole story.  Whether it leads to a better product is subjective, BUT, they do employ manufacturing steps, processes, materials, etc. - that other manufacturers do not.  They also do this at a smaller scale than the big OEMs.  I believe Johnny Wonder did a piece on the number of dies they use for each iron, the cost of each die, number of strikes during forging, etc.  When you add things like additional machining (club head faces, threads for weight screws), to the forging dies / steps, and R&D they put in - things add up quickly.

Playing devils advocate, you can claim they just inflate margins, however as they're a private company, that's entirely speculation.  You can argue that even if the margins are the same, and manufacturing costs are actually more, then the consumer is paying for inefficiency - that could be true depending on your assessment of the quality of the final product.  I'm not sure if I believe either of those, but definitely areas one could question.

At the end of the day, they're really good products in an industry where people pay $80 for a plastic polo shirt, $150 for tiny "bespoke" divot tools, and $3k for a milled putter because it has a Circle T on it.  PXG is certainly capitalizing on that (as is the basis of our great country), but no more so than any other company in the industry.

They do look great!  I have to admit that.  One of the women on the college team here plays them and she says she really likes the feel of the clubs. Getting pro deals certainly doesn't hurt though! 

I've never met anybody who didn't love their irons. Not sure I've encountered folks playing the woods and hybrids. Ignoring the price issue, one interesting aspect is that their original business model basically forced anybody buying new to get thoroughly fit, and I believe they started out pretty selective with their fitting shop accounts. For that reason, I think a lot of people might've been getting their first true, proper fitting when getting into these clubs, and it means it's a bigger step forward than they would've had otherwise. There are exceptions of course, but that seems to be the meat of their buyer profile. Since then, we've seen their clubs spread to the secondhand market, hero orders being resold by buyers new for profit, and now direct orders with self-determined specs. It only seems natural that some of the magic is going to be lost when the clubs aren't determined to be the ideal fit and spec for each golfer. Time will tell. I have a decision to make on the hybrid vs long iron position, and the gen2T and driving iron are both going to be on the list to check out.

They have the best product development team in the game, Ping has slipped since they left, and an unlimited budget thanks to an owner with very deep pockets. Mentioning the year long sale is indicative of their demise is laughable. Haters gonna hate, happens in every PXG thread! As far as status symbol chatter, sure some may do it for this reason, no different than all the Pro V1 snobs Titleist has created. However, a majority of those who get fitted by their local reps (its free), spend plenty of time absolutely nutting their PXG equipment and know the little extra costs are worth the benefit. In the end, the costs are nothing compared to the costs those who fall for the marketing jive endure yearly from some of the so called market leaders and keep switching out in hope of finding the newest magic potion. Guess they don't read the fine print and realize those incredible claims are only for people with tour pro quality swings and numbers. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

At any given time there's one brand that succeeds in attracting the lions share of conspicuous consumption among golfer club buyers. For a brief period long ago it was Ping, then for a while it was Callaway, now it's PXG. There's always one company that has that end of the market staked out and it is very lucrative. 

I remember in the late 90's, compared to the prevailing club pricing Callaway was charging PXG-like high-end dollars for clubs that supposedly had all sorts of technology and were packaged to look different and "premium". Old guys would walk in to the local golf store I used to hang out in and without as much as hitting a ball into a net they'd walk out 20 minutes later with upward of $2,000 worth of Callaway clubs with graphite shafts. Not even interested in looking at other brands. 

Those days are long gone for Callaway, not sure Ping ever had quite that degree of widespread success. PXG certainly doesn't today but they're the closest. A decade from now we'll be talking about some other upstart who is getting all the mind share among the "I want to spend more and get the best clubs I can get" crowd. 

19 minutes ago, snagy2000 said:

They have the best product development team in the game, Ping has slipped since they left, and an unlimited budget thanks to an owner with very deep pockets. Mentioning the year long sale is indicative of their demise is laughable. Haters gonna hate, happens in every PXG thread! As far as status symbol chatter, sure some may do it for this reason, no different than all the Pro V1 snobs Titleist has created. However, a majority of those who get fitted by their local reps (its free), spend plenty of time absolutely nutting their PXG equipment and know the little extra costs are worth the benefit. In the end, the costs are nothing compared to the costs those who fall for the marketing jive endure yearly from some of the so called market leaders and keep switching out in hope of finding the newest magic potion. Guess they don't read the fine print and realize those incredible claims are only for people with tour pro quality swings and numbers. 

No hate on PXG here, but to say Ping has slipped since the engineers went to PXG is just trolling. Since 2016 Ping has released the i500s, i210s, Blueprints, G400 Max and LST, G410 plus and LST, glide wedges, and Sigma 2 putters. It may not be #1, but Ping doesn't produce duds. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, snagy2000 said:

Since PXG has been created, Ping has created arguably the best drivers in the marketplace over the last 4 years with the G400 and G410 series drivers.  Ping's Glide wedge are ahead of nearly every other wedge on the market in terms of spin retention with it's hydrophobic face.  

My lord.

• Like 3

PING G430 LST 9* Tour AD DI 6X

Mizuno ST-G 15* Tour AD DI 7X

Titleist TSR2 18* Tour AD DI 85X

Mizuno MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT115X(-)

Titleist Vokey SM10 48F 53D 58D

Evnroll ER2

Titleist ProV1

5 minutes ago, gators78 said:

No hate on PXG here, but to say Ping has slipped since the engineers went to PXG is just trolling. Since 2016 Ping has released the i500s, i210s, Blueprints, G400 Max and LST, G410 plus and LST, glide wedges, and Sigma 2 putters. It may not be #1, but Ping doesn't produce duds. 

Ha!  Guess you finished typing first!

PING G430 LST 9* Tour AD DI 6X

Mizuno ST-G 15* Tour AD DI 7X

Titleist TSR2 18* Tour AD DI 85X

Mizuno MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT115X(-)

Titleist Vokey SM10 48F 53D 58D

Evnroll ER2

Titleist ProV1

42 minutes ago, gators78 said:

36 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Since PXG has been created, Ping has created arguably the best drivers in the marketplace over the last 4 years with the G400 and G410 series drivers.  Ping's Glide wedge are ahead of nearly every other wedge on the market in terms of spin retention with it's hydrophobic face.  

My lord.

No trolling. Your comments are all opinions just like my stated "slipped" opinion. I played mostly Ping, and currently use their G410 lst 3W. It does a good job when called upon. I've hit everything they've released lately and still switched out my G400 LST driver, s55, and hybrids for PXG because they meet my expectations for feel and performance. 

• Like 1

I will say in the feel category. In my experience PXG clubs feel pretty good. Way better than ping. But that is one category out of many... 

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

I haven’t hit them, but the reviews are compelling, although without hitting them it’s a gamble. These are the only clubs that I’ve found to have Fan boys and haters to such a degree, that it’s hard to determine if they are “the greatest irons ever made” or someone just “showing out......like wearing a Rolex when your cell phone has a digital clock on it therefore all watches are obsolete and shouldn’t be worn” 

I currently have Titleist 716 T-MB’s 2-PW and like the XP 115 shafts in them. I’m happy with them, and bought them used in 2nd swing, but wondering about the PXG’s with the TT elevate tour Shafts with no upcharge. I wonder if I’d get the Veterans discount on top of the price cut ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ if so, it doesn’t seem to much out of line with buying a new set of Mizuno MP 20  HMB’s  or Cobra King Forged tec . 

I play the pxg woods..proto x driver and gen 2 3 and 5 woods. I have ping irons after 2 sets of pxg irons. I really struggled with finding the right shaft with them. They feel better then the pings, i have the i210s, but i can play my nornal shaft in the pings. Not sure why that is.  Really like the woods...

Can anyone speak to the 0211s? They really have me intrigued. I have been looking to piece together a bag with irons at 5* lofts and these are one of the only irons out there that have them. 7-LW is 5* gaps from 30*-60*. I would just have to bend the 7 strong 1 degree. Stock shafts for a set for me is running $623. Seems like a steal. Even with my steelfibers it's under a grand... are you losing a lot compared to the gen2 or gen3s?

3 minutes ago, Juice1121 said:

Can anyone speak to the 0211s? They really have me intrigued. I have been looking to piece together a bag with irons at 5* lofts and these are one of the only irons out there that have them. 7-LW is 5* gaps from 30*-60*. I would just have to bend the 7 strong 1 degree. Stock shafts for a set for me is running $623. Seems like a steal. Even with my steelfibers it's under a grand... are you losing a lot compared to the gen2 or gen3s?

0211 are cast irons, 0311 are forged. 0211, I know a guy who likes them and know a guy who dumped them. There's a thread specifically for 0211. Both 0211 and 0311P are comparable to Ping i series irons. IMO, if you can get 0311P in Gen 2 for a near price, I'd go that direction. 

12 minutes ago, snagy2000 said:

0211 are cast irons, 0311 are forged. 0211, I know a guy who likes them and know a guy who dumped them. There's a thread specifically for 0211. Both 0211 and 0311P are comparable to Ping i series irons. IMO, if you can get 0311P in Gen 2 for a near price, I'd go that direction. 

Thanks for the heads up. The gen 2 bent to similar specs is running 745... Now I wonder what the elevate tour shafts play like, coming form Steelfiber i110S, I am tempted to just pony up for the newer FC115S. it would be another 250 bucks. 

1 hour ago, Juice1121 said:

I have the 0211's and for me they are excellent irons - essentially point & shoot. Nice mid - high launch with plenty of stopping power on the greens.Back to front dispersion is excellent.  If you fit the stock shafts, they are a real bargain.

Edited by jol

Bought a set of 4-P 0211's for $623 yesterday. That's cheaper than a comparable set of TM P790's, or any other foam filled head for that matter. 

TITLEIST TSI3 9* - HZRDUS T1100 HANDMADE 6.0 
PING G410 15* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE 70X
PING G410 17* & 19* - MITZ TENSEI BLUE X & EF BLACK X
SRIXON ZX7's - 4-PW w/SPECIAL, TOUR ISSUE, BLACK KBS TOUR V 125'S
CALLAWAY PM2 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
ODYSSEY STROKE LAB EXO 7S - CUSTOM

SCOTTY CAMERON 2001 TOUR ISSUE 3x CHOCOLATE NEWPORT BEACH
2017 BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's & TITLEIST PRO V #1'X

On 9/2/2020 at 10:42 AM, iNeedMoreGolf said:

They  need to keep slashing until theres nothing left. 4 to pw is still $2000. No iron set is worth over $1200 max to me. Too many good deals from $475 and up to spend $2000 and thats the sale... new they might have been $4000. For $4000 they better hit automatic draws and cuts that go in the hole everytime ?

You are ignoring the 0211 Irons which by all accounts that I've read compare favorably with P790 and other similar hollow/foam filled clubs. You can get 8 of them for $712 new on the current sale which is a pretty amazing price point for that iron/tech. 

10 minutes ago, jjfcpa said:

Anyone want to compare the 0211's with the Apex CF19's (my current gamer)?  If I could ask for just one thing in my  CF19's it would be a little more forgiveness.  Although I seem to be hitting them really well right now... 

I started the season playing the 0211 irons with Elevate 95 stiff, and I am ending the season playing the Apex 19 irons with Elevate 105 regular.  Both outstanding sets of irons.  Played some nice golf with the 0211 irons, but never got totally dialed in with them and the Elevate 95.   Unfortunately, PXG does not offer the Elevate 105, and the Modus 105 is an up-charge for some reason.  Elevate 105 is a better shaft for me than the Elevate 95, so I might have done better with the 0211 irons with those shafts in them.

In any case, I guess pound for pound, the 0211 are more forgiving. They are very long heel to toe, but have a sole reminiscent of a Ping I series, as opposed to the G series (XF more in that G series area).  So, the 0211 are not SGI forgiving, but are certainly very forgiving.  Nice feel also.  That said, IMHO, the Apex 19 are simply a tremendous blend of feel, forgiveness and looks.  I don’t think I give up much in the way of forgiveness playing the Apex 19.  Really, only you would be able to assess where these fall for you.  But IMHO, I would not switch from the Apex 19 to the 0211 expecting some utopia.  You have some of the best irons I have ever played, and I have played a lot.  YMMV.

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 Hy f4

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

No way are they struggling. 

To say pxg have the best designers is laughable.  Yes,  they are great at taking ping design and making them feel better.  They have a pretty sharp style that helps distinguish them from others.   However,  mizuno, TaylorMade, titleist, ping, and even callaway are putting out amazing clubs.  To say that pxg has the best designers is purely based on opinion.   

Here's the thing... they are filling a niche for folks that want the status symbol.  At the end of the day,  review after review has shown, that they are no better than comparable competitors... when they've been available for review.   They don't seem to make them readily available for reviewers. 

Addressing the large divide between fan boys and haters...  its like any other expensive hobby (boats, guns, cars, etc..).. when you spend more money you feel the need to defend your purchase.  However,  it's a mistake to assume that people are "haters" submit because they can't afford them.   

Edited by bogeypro

PXG Black Ops Tour driver 

PXG g5 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade Qi10 5 wood

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade MG4 46/52/58wedges

Bettinardi BB1 putter

9 hours ago, KParks said:

You are ignoring the 0211 Irons which by all accounts that I've read compare favorably with P790 and other similar hollow/foam filled clubs. You can get 8 of them for $712 new on the current sale which is a pretty amazing price point for that iron/tech. 

Yeah i agree thats a great deal. Im just talking about their starting prices and minor discounts. Frankly their prices are so high it never crossed my mind they can be as low as $700 anywhere... ive never seen it. 

8 hours ago, bogeypro said:

To say pxg have the best designers is laughable.  Yes,  they are great at taking ping design and making them feel better.  They have a pretty sharp style that helps distinguish them from others.   However,  mizuno, TaylorMade, titleist, ping, and even callaway are putting out amazing clubs.  To say that pxg has the best designers is purely based on opinion.   

Here's the thing... they are filling a niche for folks that want the status symbol.  At the end of the day,  review after review has shown, that they are no better than comparable competitors... when they've been available for review.   They don't seem to make them readily available for reviewers. 

Addressing the large divide between fan boys and haters...  its like any other expensive hobby (boats, guns, cars, etc..).. when you spend more money you feel the need to defend your purchase.  However,  it's a mistake to assume that people are "haters" submit because they can't afford them.   

Definitely not defending my purchase of Gen 3 irons.  They are the best irons I have hit - period!  I don’t change irons very often an these are easily one to two clubs longer than my old irons and love the look of them too.  I really don’t care about which iron I hit, but only care about which club I hit that performs the best and that is PXG.  I tried the Gen 2 irons last year and sent them back, as they were no better than my old irons were.  Gen 3’s are a different league.

Not a status symbol for me either, I just love the way they look.  They have great fitting, premium shafts with little or no upcharge on their current clubs, great tech that goes into it, etc...

Not sure why people have to critique what other people buy and like and try to tear down PXG.  They are doing a great job!   I am not defending my purpose, but only find it laughable that people that don’t play PXG try to tear it down.  Just don’t comment if nothing nice to say about it and move on. 

Edited by GFish
  • Like 3

On 9/2/2020 at 1:23 PM, QuigleyDU said:

They are dropping their prices by a decent amount even on the gen3 stuff. From my position they seem to be all over the place these days. This feel like furniture store sell off to me. 

https://www.pxg.com/en-us?gclid=Cj0KCQjwhb36BRCfARIsAKcXh6G-Ph-5JU1WX7EZYXpaL0kn7PRiJ378ek2Siu7utBeME3egpErhNBwaAkcwEALw_wcB

What's your opinion on their hybrids? I've never considered them because of price. I'm testing ts3 and 2020 clk now. The clk shows promise but I need to put my rogue silver hybrid in it. That shaft is currently in the ts3....which also shows promise BUT...I'm seeing a tendency for occasional pulls. 

8 hours ago, bogeypro said:

My initial impression was that PXG did about five years ago what Ping did back in the 80's. They deliberately made clubs that most people would find ridiculously ugly. It's a great way to gain product differentiation in support of premium pricing. 

Does anyone here recall the reactions of people used to playing shiny chrome blade irons when they first encountered the early Ping designs? I wasn't around golf back then but I've heard it was quite the stir.