PXG price slashing..

QuigleyDU

34 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

What's your opinion on their hybrids? I've never considered them because of price. I'm testing ts3 and 2020 clk now. The clk shows promise but I need to put my rogue silver hybrid in it. That shaft is currently in the ts3....which also shows promise BUT...I'm seeing a tendency for occasional pulls. 

honestly never tried them. So no idea. I am sure they are good though

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

13 minutes ago, QuigleyDU said:

honestly never tried them. So no idea. I am sure they are good though

Right on. Based on my personal inability to resist combined with my desire to figure out the 225 spot in my bag, I envision myself testing pxg after I eliminate ts3 or clk..unless one of them blows me away. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, North Butte said:

My initial impression was that PXG did about five years ago what Ping did back in the 80's. They deliberately made clubs that most people would find ridiculously ugly. It's a great way to gain product differentiation in support of premium pricing. 

Does anyone here recall the reactions of people used to playing shiny chrome blade irons when they first encountered the early Ping designs? I wasn't around golf back then but I've heard it was quite the stir. 

While I am sure there are some, i would be shocked if the majority found PXG clubs "ridiculously ugly"   

seems like some haterade going on there. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

20 minutes ago, Minarets said:

While I am sure there are some, i would be shocked if the majority found PXG clubs "ridiculously ugly"   

seems like some haterade going on there. 

No, I don't hate their ugly clubs. Just pointing out that they are, in fact, ugly.

I do hate their ugly TV ads and their buffoon of an owner. 

And I think the "ridiculously ugly" ones are the models with the fake screw looking things. A friend of mine had some 0211's that were normal looking clubs. So I guess even PXG felt the need to branch out into clubs that might appeal to people not into ugly.

P.S. Think back to the Ping Zing or the early Karsten irons. I think they probably have PXG beat in the eyesore aspect. 

Edited by North Butte
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is insane... So I can get a PXG 0811 XF (which has tested well) with a Diamana S+ for $279... 

OR

I can buy a Lynx Black Cat driver (another top rated driver on another sites most wanted list) with a Recoil shaft for $400... 

The used market has gone insane, the new market continues to go insane... I really wish I had cash on hand. I've got a mask already, may go rob a liquor store.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

34 minutes ago, North Butte said:

No, I don't hate their ugly clubs. Just pointing out that they are, in fact, ugly.

I do hate their ugly TV ads and their buffoon of an owner. 

And I think the "ridiculously ugly" ones are the models with the fake screw looking things. A friend of mine had some 0211's that were normal looking clubs. So I guess even PXG felt the need to branch out into clubs that might appeal to people not into ugly.

P.S. Think back to the Ping Zing or the early Karsten irons. I think they probably have PXG beat in the eyesore aspect. 

Let go the hate Butte, not good for the heart...Btw, those "fake screw looking things" are actually real weights which can be used to dial in swing weight, etc. if needed..

• Like 2

On 9/2/2020 at 1:47 PM, jol said:

They make a good product, but so do many other OEMs.  I'm going to guess that at their premium pricing, they just couldn't compete.

Well they did raise the floor for all OEMs and they deserve credit for that unfortunately. Everyone saw what they were selling clubs for and all marked there products up. Bob does have a furniture store so he knows a furniture store sell off. Lol

• Like 2

PXG did the right thing for them going DTC. They control their pricing and the middle man does not get screwed. Could you imagine being a store owner and trying to carry PXG? Their pricing fluctuates randomly, extremely and without notice. 

That could spell huge frustrations as the margins are not huge to begin with. 

• Like 1

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

Ordered a set of 0311 SGI irons on 9/2. Order info says an estimated pick and build date to begin on 9/22. Does they seem about right or is it usually longer or shorter to complete the order ?

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

31 minutes ago, QuigleyDU said:

PXG did the right thing for them going DTC. They control their pricing and the middle man does not get screwed. Could you imagine being a store owner and trying to carry PXG? Their pricing fluctuates randomly, extremely and without notice. 

That could spell huge frustrations as the margins are not huge to begin with. 

I'm very curios as to what this means for the future of PXG. Do they keep the discount pricing on old stuff and then release new stuff at their higher tier? 

Price anchoring is a thing, so it seems like it will be hard to push irons at $425 when you can get last years model for $300... I'm not sure though! 

Their pricing is still high, other than the drivers... 

It seems like an interesting strategy, but maybe they just figured sell as much stuff as possible while the market is hot, gain some market share and loyalty and then return to their higher pricing tiers. 

Time will tell, I guess.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

1 hour ago, erock9174 said:

Ordered a set of 0311 SGI irons on 9/2. Order info says an estimated pick and build date to begin on 9/22. Does they seem about right or is it usually longer or shorter to complete the order ?

It's just an estimated date. They've stated Gen 3 and Proto drivers get priority, however they've always delivered to me before the estimated pick and build date on Gen 1 & 2 items during this sale. Guess it all depends on order volume.

• Like 1

Anyone with a 0811x + prototype wanting to sell it let me know. 

AI Smoke Max Ventus Velocore +
Callaway GBB Fuji 757 vi 

Cobra LTDX max 5w HZRDUS Blue 

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 Tour AD DI
Mizuno Pro 245 5-GW PX IO
Titleist SM9 52f, 58v PX LZ

Scotty MOTO Fastback 1.5 

On 9/3/2020 at 7:45 PM, jeffrey r said:

I started the season playing the 0211 irons with Elevate 95 stiff, and I am ending the season playing the Apex 19 irons with Elevate 105 regular.  Both outstanding sets of irons.  Played some nice golf with the 0211 irons, but never got totally dialed in with them and the Elevate 95.   Unfortunately, PXG does not offer the Elevate 105, and the Modus 105 is an up-charge for some reason.  Elevate 105 is a better shaft for me than the Elevate 95, so I might have done better with the 0211 irons with those shafts in them.

In any case, I guess pound for pound, the 0211 are more forgiving. They are very long heel to toe, but have a sole reminiscent of a Ping I series, as opposed to the G series (XF more in that G series area).  So, the 0211 are not SGI forgiving, but are certainly very forgiving.  Nice feel also.  That said, IMHO, the Apex 19 are simply a tremendous blend of feel, forgiveness and looks.  I don’t think I give up much in the way of forgiveness playing the Apex 19.  Really, only you would be able to assess where these fall for you.  But IMHO, I would not switch from the Apex 19 to the 0211 expecting some utopia.  You have some of the best irons I have ever played, and I have played a lot.  YMMV.

Thanks for the very informative reply.  That's been my experience... every time I try to find something that I think would be more forgiving in a GI iron, I find that the Apex actually perform better... I've compared them to the Honma XP-1, Rogue X, T300's and others and the Apex seem more consistent and almost as long distance wise.  I definitely won't change to a GI iron unless I can confirm that it will perform better.  

21 hours ago, erock9174 said:

I ordered a set of SGI's on 8/29 (a Saturday) and they shipped on 9/3 and Fedex tracking states the package is in their hands to be delivered on 9/10.

PXG Gen4 0811 X 9
PXG Gen4 0341 X 5

Ping G410 19 Hybrid

PXG Gen4 4 Hybrid

Titleist T400 5-49W
Titleist Vokey SM7 56
Ping TR Nome

1 hour ago, happygolfer said:

I ordered a set of SGI's on 8/29 (a Saturday) and they shipped on 9/3 and Fedex tracking states the package is in their hands to be delivered on 9/10.

Cool. What shaft ? and did you have loft or lie adjusted ?

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

I have a fitting on Thursday, I was really only interested in the 0211 since I am not a fan of the screw look. But I intend to hit them all and see which is best, I really wish they offered OBAN shafts as an option to me their shaft selection is pretty limited for the prices they want.

Callaway Smoke Max 10.5 GD AD VF 6s

Titleist TSR 2 16.5 GD AD UB 7s

Titleist TSR 2 21 GD AD DI 8x

Callaway APEX Pro / CB  4-11 PX IO 5.5 

Callaway full toe 54* PX IO  6.5

Callaway full toe 58* PX IO 6.5

SLED # 1  35.5

Mark me down on the minority view of, they are struggling.  

When I cancelled my 0211 order after the delays, they never did issue a refund credit to my credit card, and didn't get back to me after I emailed and called to inquire about the refund.  I finally had to dispute the charge.  And, it's still on my credit card account as pending, probably because (I suppose) PXG has not responded to the inquiries of the card company.   It looks like it will default to my favor next week.  I already got the credit in June but it's showing up as being conditional until Sept. 10.  The process smelled bad starting with the delays & stalling, on to the no answers and then the non existent refund.  Is this the way a healthy company would handle a refund? 

I'm not a hater and I'm glad so many of you love the clubs and the prices.  But I wouldn't order from PXG again if the prices were another 50% lower than they already are. 

Caveat emptor.

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

19 minutes ago, Snowman9000 said:

When I cancelled my 0211 order after the delays, they never did issue a refund credit to my credit card, and didn't get back to me after I emailed and called to inquire about the refund.  I finally had to dispute the charge.  And, it's still on my credit card account as pending, probably because (I suppose) PXG has not responded to the inquiries of the card company.   It looks like it will default to my favor next week.  I already got the credit in June but it's showing up as being conditional until Sept. 10.  The process smelled bad starting with the delays & stalling, on to the no answers and then the non existent refund.  Is this the way a healthy company would handle a refund? 

I'm not a hater and I'm glad so many of you love the clubs and the prices.  But I wouldn't order from PXG again if the prices were another 50% lower than they already are. 

Caveat emptor.

I've had the same thought, to be honest. It seems like they would have sold out of the heads and stopped manufacturing them if that was the case, though... 

I think a more logical conclusion is people have money to burn and are looking for deals on stuff they can actually use... PXG saw the uptick in military discount sales, and decided to see what would happen if they were extended to the buying public, it went extremely well and so they stuck with a winning formula. 

Parsons has deep pockets, so they haven't run out of money... it might have been an effort to purge inventory and clean up the books that just went better than anyone expected. 

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

59 minutes ago, Snowman9000 said:

Caveat emptor.

They're still opening stores, they're still rolling out new equipment & apparel, and oh by the way they're selling a ton of both... Business is kabooming baby!!!