Installing grip with air compressor help

Truok

Hi I've been following txg youtube channel for quite some time now and noticed they install grips with air compressor and blue painters tape.  I tried this technique and it's really easy to install the grips and they feel secure after installing but when I took them out to play I noticed the grips start to spin very slightly when hitting them. I've tried cleaning the grips out, cleaning the tape, putting extra layers of tape than normal, they still seem to twist a little bit.  Anyone have any ideas how to do this properly?  I can't imagine txg would do it this way if the grips would twist during use.  

Just now, mylesb21 said:

Try adding another layer of tape to make the grip tighter on top of the painters tape. 

Maybe try masking tape instead of painters tape? (I use 2 layers of masking tape when blowing on grips and never have slippage)

Thanks for the reply.  I've tried both masking tape and painters tape. Also have tried up to 4 layers of tape and still spinning slightly. The grips are golf pride new decade mcc+4 midsize.  Kind of at a loss for what do to at this point. I can keep adding layers but then the grips will become too large. 

8 minutes ago, Truok said:

Thanks for the reply.  I've tried both masking tape and painters tape. Also have tried up to 4 layers of tape and still spinning slightly. The grips are golf pride new decade mcc+4 midsize.  Kind of at a loss for what do to at this point. I can keep adding layers but then the grips will become too large. 

Interesting. I used GP MCC standard grips without a problem.

What is the butt diameter of the shafts you’re using? If the grips are .600 and the shaft butt diameter is .580 you would have the slippage problem. 

7 minutes ago, mylesb21 said:

Interesting. I used GP MCC standard grips without a problem.

What is the butt diameter of the shafts you’re using? If the grips are .600 and the shaft butt diameter is .580 you would have the slippage problem. 

Using Nippon modus 105 stiff which says .600 same with the diameter for the Mcc4 grips. 

1 hour ago, mylesb21 said:

Here’s a suggestion:

Return the grips and exchange for the standard size. Build up with tape 4-6 layers to make them midsize. There’s no way they’ll move when installed with air. 

I just pulled one of the midsize ones off to try this, it's only the lower hand part of the grip that twists. I built it up with 6 total layers of blue painters tape, it still twists a little but not as bad, im sure even with 7 it will spin. I can't imagine other people are using 6-7 layers of tape for this process but maybe I'm wrong. 

Edited by Truok

are you still using solvent or just air

m6 9 degree , tensai pro orange 70s , and epic flash sub zero rogue 60x
m4 3 wd, 15 degree rogue 125 msi 60 tour x  and epic flash sub zero hzrdus 70x,
818 h2 hybrid 19 degree ,tour spec blue 85s
taylor p790 17 degree
taylormade p760 3-pw
vokey 50--56--60
taylormade spider tour dj version and cleveland huntington beach number 1
epic green staff bag or taylormade flex lite 

When I blow grips on, I always use a bit of cheap hairspray to ensure they can't spin, but can easily be blown off again.  The cheaper the hairspray the better (more alcohol content) and you only need a couple shots into the grip before you blow it on.  Works every time.

Edited by Noodler

1 minute ago, Noodler said:

When I blow grips on, I always use a bit of cheap hairspray to ensure they can't spin, but can easily be blown off again.  The cheaper the hairspray the better (more alcohol content) and you only need a couple shots into the grip before you blow it on.  Works every time.

Do you use painters tape or masking tape then hairspray?

Dip the tip of grip into some mineral spirits... With a bit of elbow grease, she slides down just fine. If you use a bunch of alcohol... It will work just fine but the grip will be able to move around a little bit and won't be useable right away. I used to do this and sometimes if I used too much alcohol it could take days to dry thoroughly and I've had one or two grips slip during play. I try to use as little "lube" as possible.

9 minutes ago, Truok said:

Do you use painters tape or masking tape then hairspray?

I do use single-sided build up tape depending on the preferences of the golfer.  I like an extra wrap under my lower hand.  You can completely skip the tape too (which is what my dad does), but he uses pure rubber grips (Star grips) and you can get away with no tape if the grip material will allow it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Z1ggy16 said:

Dip the tip of grip into some mineral spirits... With a bit of elbow grease, she slides down just fine. If you use a bunch of alcohol... It will work just fine but the grip will be able to move around a little bit and won't be useable right away. I used to do this and sometimes if I used too much alcohol it could take days to dry thoroughly and I've had one or two grips slip during play. I try to use as little "lube" as possible.

The mineral spirits is used to get the grip on correct?  It doesn't activate the tape it just allows you to slide it on and then dries, which I'm not having an issue with because I'm using the air compressor to install.  I'm needing it to stick without using the double sided tape. 

Haven't used blue painters tape, but have used masking tape from Walmart and Home Depot for 2 years and no issues. I've done this with Lamkin REL ACE grips, as well as Golf Pride MCC +4, regular MCC's and Tour Velvet grips. Just out of curiosity, are you spiraling the tape around the shaft, or cutting the tape to the length of the grip and then applying lengthwise? Also, are these brand new grips that are slipping or previously used grips?

-Ron

d: Epic Max | f: Rogue 3HL, Apex UW | h1: Apex Super | i: 923 HM | w: MD4 | p: Chalk Spider X SB

2 minutes ago, Noodler said:

I do use single-sided build up tape depending on the preferences of the golfer.  I like an extra wrap under my lower hand.  You can completely skip the tape too (which is what my dad does), but he uses pure rubber grips (Star grips) and you can get away with no tape if the grip material will allow it.

Thanks I'll give the hairspray trick a try tomorrow and see if that helps. These golf pride grips I'm pretty sure are all rubber on the inside but I think the Inside diameter may be slightly different between the grips because I first tried installing them with no grip tape and some of the grips no matter what I did would have small air pockets preventing them from fully sticking some of the other grips seemed to sit securely. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rondre3000 said:

Haven't used blue painters tape, but have used masking tape from Walmart and Home Depot for 2 years and no issues. I've done this with Lamkin REL ACE grips, as well as Golf Pride MCC +4, regular MCC's and Tour Velvet grips. Just out of curiosity, are you spiraling the tape around the shaft, or cutting the tape to the length of the grip and then applying lengthwise? Also, are these brand new grips that are slipping or previously used grips?

-Ron

I've tried both masking tape from Walmart and now the blue painters tape. I'm installing it lengthwise, not spiraling. And grips are brand new never used. 

1 minute ago, Truok said:

I've tried both masking tape from Walmart and now the blue painters tape. I'm installing it lengthwise, not spiraling. And grips are brand new never used. 

Not purchased from Ebay, right?  ?

d: Epic Max | f: Rogue 3HL, Apex UW | h1: Apex Super | i: 923 HM | w: MD4 | p: Chalk Spider X SB

4 minutes ago, Truok said:

The mineral spirits is used to get the grip on correct?  It doesn't activate the tape it just allows you to slide it on and then dries, which I'm not having an issue with because I'm using the air compressor to install.  I'm needing it to stick without using the double sided tape. 

Correct... Painters tape plus just dip the tip of grip in min spirits. Get the grip into the shaft and blow air into the opening...push down firmly. It's tougher to do than if you use a bunch of alcohol but it's more secure and less messy.

Correct... Painters tape plus just dip the tip of grip in min spirits. Get the grip into the shaft and blow air into the opening...push down firmly. It's tougher to do than if you use a bunch of alcohol but it's more secure and less messy.

I guess I'm not understanding the point of the mineral spirits?  Is that supposed to help the grip stick to the one sided tape better?  I'm not having an issue getting the grip on.  

Are the grips new or did you pull them from another set?

Driver: Ping G410 LST (Diamana ZF)
5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Ventus Blue HB)
or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

You likely have air bubbles formed when you are installing the grips.  This is probably due to having too much PSI.  You should try to get in between 50-60 PSI on the air compressor.  I also would not clean out the inside of the grips.  That can make them slippery and they may never quite install correctly.   And don't use any solvent.  

I've probably installed over 2,000 grips using an air compressor with either no tape or just painter's tape and I think may 6 or 7 times I've had an issue with the grips slipping afterward.  

The GripMaster USA grips are almost impossible to install with an air compressor.  But virtually every other grip you can install just fine as long as you don't use too much air pressure.

RH

Just now, RichieHunt said:

You likely have air bubbles formed when you are installing the grips.  This is probably due to having too much PSI.  You should try to get in between 50-60 PSI on the air compressor.  I also would not clean out the inside of the grips.  That can make them slippery and they may never quite install correctly.   And don't use any solvent.  

I've probably installed over 2,000 grips using an air compressor with either no tape or just painter's tape and I think may 6 or 7 times I've had an issue with the grips slipping afterward.  

The GripMaster USA grips are almost impossible to install with an air compressor.  But virtually every other grip you can install just fine as long as you don't use too much air pressure.

RH

I've only used 50 psi.  Grips didn't bubble or stretch at all, just slid on smooth without any sticking or issues. 

Just now, Truok said:

New

when you blew them into the shaft did they stretch or bubble in any way?  

Driver: Ping G410 LST (Diamana ZF)
5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Ventus Blue HB)
or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

8 minutes ago, Truok said:

I guess I'm not understanding the point of the mineral spirits?  Is that supposed to help the grip stick to the one sided tape better?  I'm not having an issue getting the grip on.  

The mineral spirits or grip solvent helps

to slip the grip onto the shaft before blowing with air. I squeeze the opening of the grip, leaving about an inch to add 2-3 drops of solvent into the tip, slip it onto the shaft and install with air. The solvent dries within a short time and I haven’t had a grip slip on me.  

10 minutes ago, Truok said:

It's to help get the tip of grip over the butt of the shaft. The whole point is to not use lube such as alcohol. That is why your grips are slipping around. 

It's to help get the tip of grip over the butt of the shaft. The whole point is to not use lube such as alcohol. That is why your grips are slipping around. 

I'm not using anything to get the grip on besides air.  I can use the air and angle the tip of the grip over the shaft and get it to expand just enough to get it on without using any solvent or lube so it's not an issue with that. 

Just now, Truok said:

I'm not using anything to get the grip on besides air.  I can use the air and angle the tip of the grip over the shaft and get it to expand just enough to get it on without using any solvent or lube so it's not an issue with that. 

Okay sry I misunderstood. Then like richie says, you must be getting air bubbles when blowing on. I've done many grips myself... Only time I had them slip is when I used alcohol or used older grips.